SM UU UU Community Create-A-Team #1

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Banner by Accelgor; co-hosted with HotFuzzBall

With the recent bans and establishment of the UU tier, the time is right to explore the metagame further through the best way possible: teambuilding! And, of course, who better to teambuild with than the entire UU community? This project aims to have the community work together to build a competitively viable UU team, one Pokemon at a time. In the first round, people will submit a Pokemon or core which they would like to see a team built around. In subsequent rounds, people will submit Pokemon that complement what is already on the team. At the end of each round, people can vote on what they like the most, and the submission with the most votes will be added to the team. Ideally, this project will allow newcomers to UU to see how more experienced players go about building a team.

The Team:

After the 4-week process listed above, the UU Community has put together a new team! After each team is completed it will be submitted to the RMT Forum to be analyzed by expert team raters as provided by IronBullet to be refined, tweaked, and brought to its best potential!

Raikou @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Calm Mind
I did some laddering with the team this evening, and I'm a huge fan of the suggestions Lord Esche made and at least based on my playtesting they're a 100% upgrade from the previous build of the team. However, I had to hold off on changing Raikou to CM + Roar. While it is actually a really cool set in practice as I've come to learn, Ghostium Z was too important for me to pass up due to how annoying Latias/Celebi still kind of are for this team, even with Scarf Krookodile backing it now. I'm not too worried about getting into CM wars with Clefable with the given Tentacruel set pretty much nullifying any chance of sweeping that Clefable could have, so I stuck with the offensive power route on Raikou. Kudos for the rate Lord Esche! Hoping other players get around to using this team and making their own suggestions and changes as we anticipate the next one we have in the works.
Raikou @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ice]

CM Raikou
Raikou @ Leftovers / Ghostium Z / Normalium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Shadow Ball
- Volt Switch / Substitute / Hyper Beam / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Calm Mind
Raikou is my nomination. An amazing threat to offensive builds that can also be tailored to give bulkier builds a hard time. Raikou brings us a bit of versatility and by choosing the set; we can choose what kind of team we would like to build. My personal favourite set at the time being is CM Volt Switch, which allows the user to inflict some early game damage or scouting; whilst maintaining a back up check against bulky waters; as well as an option as a boosting sweeper for late game - fitting on many team archetypes. Running Z-Move of choice gives more stopping power, taking on it's usual checks; through use of either z-Hyper Beam or z-Shadow Ball is very handy - Raikou's team mates would enjoy removal/weakening of such threats.

In summary Raikou is a useful first pick, because it isn't just an end game sweeper for a team, it's also a decent pivot and wall breaker of sorts. Raikou is easy to build around and synergises well with a lot of viable mons. Set optimisation can be decided on if we choose to run this Pokemon, but I am currently advocating for the CM Volt Switch variant.

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Swords Dance
Gonna contribute to the small pile of Swords Dance users that have been suggested thus far:

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Swords Dance

Heracross, especially after getting a boost from Swords Dance on top of Guts, has no problem devouring typical Raikou switch-ins. Blissey, Krookodile, Hippowdon, Gliscor, Amoonguss, and Swampert are easily used as setup fodder for Heracross (preferably after Flame Orb is up) and are either forced to switch out or lose a huge chunk of their health. Ultimately, how well Heracross works with Raikou depends on what slashes we go with, since that'll determine exactly what checks Raikou: HP Ice means Gliscor isn't an issue and Zygarde-10%/Nidos/Krookodile can't switch in safely, Z-Shadow Ball means Heracross doesn't have to worry about being revenge killed by Latias/Celebi (while also still dispatching Nidoking and Nidoqueen with some chip damage), SubCM means Amoonguss actually gets set up on by Raikou, and Z-Hyper Beam means Raikou will have little trouble breaking down most Ground-types on its own.

Simply because Heracross is so good at switching directly into and taking on most Ground-types I feel were we to choose it as a partner for Raikou that the Z-Shadow Ball set with HP Ice as coverage would be the best option on Raikou. That aside, Heracross is still great at just punching holes in bulky Pokemon in general, and no matter what, Blissey will be a wall that Raikou cannot overcome on its own, which Heracross has no problem breaking down.

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Wing Attack
Stone Edge/EQ/Ice Fang/Pursuit on Aerodactyl: EdgeQuake combination is needed and even though I like Aqua Tail for a 90% kill on Nidoking from full HP as opposed to 50% with EQ, I would also like to have a better option for Celebi while OHKOing standard SD Gliscor as well as freeing the next attacking slot for Pursuit. This allows for Aerodactyl to trap Latias & Celebi, which is appreciated by Heracross, as well as limiting the damage Gengar can do to this team. Aqua Tail for better damage on Terrakion, which is more than likely to drop soon, combined with Wing Attack is still a very solid option though. This moveset isn't easy to pick and ultimately comes down to personal preference in the last two slots, I feel. Edit: I later added Scarf Krookodile which carries Pursuit so I changed it back to Wing Attack + Aqua Tail.
I feel that starmie fits the team quite nicely and is a good addition but maybe swapping swellow for something like Mega-Aero would be beneficial as it keeps us with a ground immunity which this team desperately needs to deal with ground types from spamming EQ along with something to out speed Zydog. Realistically anything that gives us a ground immunity will probably work in this spot. I think the problem I have with swellow is that Scarf Krook terrorizes this team and even if we have cobalion with shuca, if the switch is predicted or cobalion is weakened/wittled ( Lefties>Shuca imo )it becomes a serious threat while something like Mega-Aero or other options mentioned help to relieve that pressure unlike swellow. IF we decide to replace swellow with Mega-Aerodactyl here is the spread I think fits the team best!

(Aerodactyl-Mega) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Wing Attack
- Stone Edge
- Hone Claws
- Taunt
I think this set is so underrated ( i also hate missing crucial stone edge's :pirate:) and lets Aero break and sweep teams very easily as it can setup on fatter mons that would try to status/recover/phaze it out by taunting it along with all the other mons M-Aero naturally beats.
(Earthquake was voted on as the slash for the 3rd moveslot)

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
Scarf Krookodile >
Cobalion: Krookodile gives this team a much needed Electric immunity and Ghost resist, utility with Intimidate & relieves a ton of pressure from Aerodactyl aiding it in the tasks it was supposed to take on its own, for example revenge killing Raikou and trapping with Pursuit. This does come at the cost of Cobalions natural bulk and better match-up versus Bisharp and Mega Sharpedo, but Bisharp doesn't set up on any of the teams members and giving it a +1 with Intimidate isn't too big of a deal since Krookodile & Heracross still easily survive Sucker Punch and proceed to kill it back. As for Mega Sharpedo: There's Intimidate to shuffle and prevent a sweep with, plus Clefable is still in the back which tanks 2 hits, even with Leftovers knocked off. I know it feels weird not to have a Steel type (at least it does for me) but it should be fine.

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch
I nominate Cobalion as it gives us a way to beat Sharpedo, Dragons and also M-Aero while providing us with Rocks and an additional Volt-Turn user.

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch

This doesn't solve the hazard problem but we could maybe add bulky M-Aero for that in our next slot to beat both fire types and provide us with Defog support.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 232 HP / 172 Def / 8 SpA / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Haze
- Rapid Spin

Tentacruel >
Tentacruel gives the team a fairy resist & Scizor switch-in but makes the team weaker to Keldeo. Scald/Sludge Bomb/Haze/Rapid Spin is my recommended set: Haze is used over Acid Spray to have an option for both Clefable + Scizor without having to rely Scald burns too much, but Haze requires Poison STAB in order to beat Clefable 1v1 which is why you forgo Toxic Spikes on this set. I also changed the Aerodactyl set to carry Wing Attack again to have 100% ensurance for revenge killing Keldeo. Clear Body > Liquid Ooze because you don't want to lose the 1v1 vs. Clefable due to unfortunate Moonblast drops.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock / Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
Not to intentionally steal from the post above me, the minute I saw Cobalion was the chosen mon for our team and that we have issues with Fire- and Fighting-types, as well as no hazard removal yet, Starmie was the first thing that came to my mind before I started scrolling down. But my suggestion is somewhat of a twist on the above:

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock / Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Bulky Starmie pretty has the needed longevity to act as the main Fire/Fighting/Hazards check for our team. Considering how pivotal its role is, it needs as much health as it can afford to have. With a team full of hard hitters I think we can afford to run bulky Starmie in spite of its lack of offensive presence, since most of its roles are defensively used anyway. Also another thing for us to check Mega Aerodactyl with, so the bulk is not unwelcome if you ask me.

As for discussion, Scarf Heracross is one that I'm not against but I'd like to see how our last two slots are used before considering changing it to Scarf. That's just how I build, though. I mean yeah, we have Cobalion on our team so the Blissey issue isn't as huge anymore, but things like Blissey + Ground-type are still going to be a nightmare to go up against, period without a really strong breaker. Given that we have Swellow (I'm not against changing that either) our matchup against Offense isn't so horrible that we NEED a Scarf on Heracross. It's really our matchup against bulkier teams now that stands out to me...bulky teams that we only have a fighting chance (no pun intended) against because of Heracross runnning Swords Dance.

Dragons are still a nightmare tho, and sadly Starmie does not add much that really helps deal with them, assuming we went with that.
(Psyshock was voted on for the slash in the second moveslot.)

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 16 SpA / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock

Clefable with Stealth Rock > Thunder Wave & different EV Spread: This is partly setting up for the final change in the next step. I also opted for a slightly more offensive variant on Clefable with a Modest nature and Fire Blast>Flamethrower. This is what the EV spread of 252HP/172Def/16SpA/16SpD/56Spe does: 16 SpA EVs with a Modest nature ensure the OHKO on standard SD Scizor with Fire Blast, 56 Spe EVs are used to creep Scizor which often U-turn out predicting a switch-out on Clefable's end, 172Def survives two Stone Edge from Mega Aerodactyl and two Psychic Fangs (yes, it's actually stronger than Waterfall) from Adamant Mega Sharpedo.
I second Nightingales' nom for the replacement; HP fire latias with a fourth move of healing wish would be quite beneficial for our current team. Scarf hydra would once again also work as a replacement, so I'll make that my own nom I guess if I have to do that.

As for mon 6, I feel that we could still use a good answer to dragons. So, I'm gonna go for the #1 most splashable mon in UU right now and suggest T-wave Clefable.

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

This set would provide us with a fire move for Scizor, a dragon check, some minor speed control in T-wave, and another Maero answer thanks to the max defense investment. I can't really think of any other mon that can do all of this for our team than this boyo right here.
Importable
Raikou @ Ghostium Z
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Calm Mind

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Swords Dance

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Wing Attack

Timid Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Haze
- Rapid Spin

Clefable @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Last edited:

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
oh yeah and a laundry list of proposed changes/suggestions to take into consideration and the discussion for more in-depth reasoning as to why
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-community-create-a-team.3598931/page-5#post-7321198

Starmie
Leftovers -> Waterium-Z
Psyshock over Ice Beam

Mega Aerodactyl
Earthquake over Aqua Tail / Hone Claws
3 Attacks + Taunt -> AoA with Aqua Tail / Earthquake / Stone Edge / Wing Attack

Cobalion

Shuca Berry -> Fightinium-Z

Clefable

Flamethrower -> Encore

thanks!

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I've been somewhat following the making of this team & even though I didn't take part in the competition I really like the idea of posting this in RMT afterwards. Anyway, onto the rate!

I like the original core of Raikou + SD Heracross which has potential to absolutely dismantle defensive cores and even though I was a little thrown off by the direction the team was taking at some points (ehem... Swellow), the outcome looks real solid. However, here are some threats I'd like to be covered better as well as some other (minor) issues I see:

I get that Heracross is a 'lure' for Clefable but a competent player will still identify Clefable as the utmost threat to this team and not let it drop to Facade. Sadly, Cobalion doesn't even 2HKO standard Clefable with Iron Head and drops to +1 Flamethrower with some prior damage. Also, switchting into LO Clefable is pretty much choosing a sacrifice everytime it comes out (Fairy resists? What are those?), despite being more easily revenge killed than the bulky CM variant.

SpDef SD Gliscor can have some fun versus this team. Bulky Starmie doesn't 2HKO with Scald and is susceptible to Pursuit as well, Raikou doesn't kill it from full and Aerodactyl does neither carry Aqua Tail nor Ice Fang to pressure it. Maybe I'm overreacting here because Heracross should outspeed and can pressure it with Facade too but on paper it looks somewhat threatening.

This thing would be outright ridiculous to face without the addition of EQ on Aerodactyl, glad at least that made it on there. Other than that the gameplan vs. opposing CM Raikou is still winning the CM war, which isn't reliable at all. The team can't afford for Aerodactyl to be played recklessly and falling victim to status a of any kind would prove very much detrimental to this teams match-up versus Raikou.

Ghost resists where?

NP Celebi sets up on 3/6 members and can only be somewhat reliably revenge killed by Aerodactyl.

I guess Raikou kinda checks it but it's not a safe switch-in, and since Cobalion has no way of boosting its damage output to actually threaten Scizor with its Z-move, bulky SD variants will have a field day versus this team.

VoltTurn: Something else is that this team has no way of stopping, outside of sacrificing something, is VoltTurn. A simple core of Band Scizor + Specs Raikou, for example, gives this team a major headache.

Approaches to fix the aforementioned issues:

Roar > Subsitute on Raikou: This gives the team a much better shot at beating opposing Raikou & Clefable when it comes to a CM war. Amoonguss is covered by Heracross, which blocks Spore, and a lot of them started to run Seed Bomb anyway. Edit: Roar doesn't seem too necessary anymore with the changes I made later on, so Sub is probably still fine (Roar is cool though on Raikou, I encourage everyone to try it out) but the earlier version of Shadow Ball + Ghostium-Z should work out just as well.

Stone Edge/EQ/Ice Fang/Pursuit on Aerodactyl: EdgeQuake combination is needed and even though I like Aqua Tail for a 90% kill on Nidoking from full HP as opposed to 50% with EQ, I would also like to have a better option for Celebi while OHKOing standard SD Gliscor as well as freeing the next attacking slot for Pursuit. This allows for Aerodactyl to trap Latias & Celebi, which is appreciated by Heracross, as well as limiting the damage Gengar can do to this team. Aqua Tail for better damage on Terrakion, which is more than likely to drop soon, combined with Wing Attack is still a very solid option though. This moveset isn't easy to pick and ultimately comes down to personal preference in the last two slots, I feel. Edit: I later added Scarf Krookodile which carries Pursuit so I changed it back to Wing Attack + Aqua Tail.

Now I'm at the point where if I want to switch a member for something else to improve match-up versus threats it inevitably opens up other holes, but this is the best I came up with:

Tentacruel >
Tentacruel gives the team a fairy resist & Scizor switch-in but makes the team weaker to Keldeo. Scald/Sludge Bomb/Haze/Rapid Spin is my recommended set: Haze is used over Acid Spray to have an option for both Clefable + Scizor without having to rely Scald burns too much, but Haze requires Poison STAB in order to beat Clefable 1v1 which is why you forgo Toxic Spikes on this set. I also changed the Aerodactyl set to carry Wing Attack again to have 100% ensurance for revenge killing Keldeo. Clear Body > Liquid Ooze because you don't want to lose the 1v1 vs. Clefable due to unfortunate Moonblast drops.

Clefable with Stealth Rock > Thunder Wave & different EV Spread: This is partly setting up for the final change in the next step. I also opted for a slightly more offensive variant on Clefable with a Modest nature and Fire Blast>Flamethrower. This is what the EV spread of 252HP/172Def/16SpA/16SpD/56Spe does: 16 SpA EVs with a Modest nature ensure the OHKO on standard SD Scizor with Fire Blast, 56 Spe EVs are used to creep Scizor which often U-turn out predicting a switch-out on Clefable's end, 172Def survives two Stone Edge from Mega Aerodactyl and two Psychic Fangs (yes, it's actually stronger than Waterfall) from Adamant Mega Sharpedo.

Scarf Krookodile >
Cobalion: Krookodile gives this team a much needed Electric immunity and Ghost resist, utility with Intimidate & relieves a ton of pressure from Aerodactyl aiding it in the tasks it was supposed to take on its own, for example revenge killing Raikou and trapping with Pursuit. This does come at the cost of Cobalions natural bulk and better match-up versus Bisharp and Mega Sharpedo, but Bisharp doesn't set up on any of the teams members and giving it a +1 with Intimidate isn't too big of a deal since Krookodile & Heracross still easily survive Sucker Punch and proceed to kill it back. As for Mega Sharpedo: There's Intimidate to shuffle and prevent a sweep with, plus Clefable is still in the back which tanks 2 hits, even with Leftovers knocked off. I know it feels weird not to have a Steel type (at least it does for me) but it should be fine.

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roar
- Calm Mind

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Swords Dance

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Wing Attack

Timid Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Haze
- Rapid Spin

Clefable @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Alright, so I'm actually kinda glad how this turned out without changing too much of the team and keeping the original idea of how it should work.
This certainly was fun, let me kow if I missed something big & whether you liked the changes I made. Cheers!

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I did some laddering with the team this evening, and I'm a huge fan of the suggestions Lord Esche made and at least based on my playtesting they're a 100% upgrade from the previous build of the team. However, I had to hold off on changing Raikou to CM + Roar. While it is actually a really cool set in practice as I've come to learn, Ghostium Z was too important for me to pass up due to how annoying Latias/Celebi still kind of are for this team, even with Scarf Krookodile backing it now. I'm not too worried about getting into CM wars with Clefable with the given Tentacruel set pretty much nullifying any chance of sweeping that Clefable could have, so I stuck with the offensive power route on Raikou. Kudos for the rate Lord Esche! Hoping other players get around to using this team and making their own suggestions and changes as we anticipate the next one we have in the works.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Ok managed to do some late night laddering with this team and I'm a really big fan of Lord Esche's suggestions so far. I think Tentacruel was probably the best change for the team since we now have a Fairy resist, which we lacked before. I think the Mega Aerodactyl set is very solid since Ice Fang lures in Gliscor which we also struggled with since Starmie was defensive rather than offensive. As for Scarf Krookodile, honestly sometimes I did miss Cobalion since it could've functioned as a secondary Scizor check because Tentacruel is checking a lot of the team's weaknesses but nevertheless, I think Scarf Krookodile is a pretty solid replacement because it acts as a nice fast Psychic-type check.

I also tried out some random miscellaneous changes of my own. First I tried Z-Haze Tentacruel (fyi it basically fully restores Tentacruel once) and it kinda sucked but not really? The passive recovery from Black Sludge was missed a lot of the times but, Z-Haze allowed Tentacruel to have a second chance with checking threats such as Fire-types, Scizor, Fairy-types. Overall, not sure how I feel about it, leaning towards Z-Haze sucks though. That's all I tried actually .-.

Yeah I agree with CSB that Z-Shadow Ball is the way to go with Raikou, Tentacruel helps deal with Suicune and Clefable quite well so the extra power was very nice, especially against Calm Mind wars with other Raikous.

Other than that, thanks for the rate Lord Esche ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)