Project usum teambuilding workshop [closed until further notice]

Status
Not open for further replies.

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a defending SCL Champion

Banner by Ssensenh
Builders: false., Snowy, Eternam, pork chop man, sedertz

Intro:
Welcome to the USUM OU Teambuilding Workshop! Here, we'll take requested starting points or cores of 1-2 Pokemon and produce a team based around it, post it here, and include a description of our teambuilding process to hopefully help others improve their building toolkit.

Rules:
1. To request a core, simply post the sets and have a brief description providing an overview of how the core works/what it does.
2. Limit your cores to a maximum of 2 Pokemon.
3. Do not delete or significantly edit your post once you've posted.
4. Do not PM or VM builders to build quickly.
5. Do not ask us to rate or modify an already fully constructed or nearly fully constructed teams.
6. You may only request one core at a time. Once your core team request has been finished, you are free to make another request.
7. Do not post a request if the thread is marked: [Closed]
8. Any Pokemon ranked below B+ on the Viability Rankings may not be included in a full core—this means that if you wanted to request something with a B or lower Pokemon, you must request that Pokemon alone.
9. If your request is deemed unworkable or impractical it won't add it to the list of requests. A core is also likely to be removed if left unclaimed for an extended period of time.

Request Post Template:
Here is a template for request posts. Note that this is not required but is recommended. If you would like to include sprites or models in your post, visit this site.
Code:
(Sprites or Models Here)
[hide=Set(s)][/hide]
[b]Description:[/b]
(Description Text Goes Here)
Requests:
Unclaimed Requests:

Requests In Progress:
volcarona - eternam

Last edited:

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a defending SCL Champion
Team Archive 1-100
- sedertz
- imsosorrylol
- imsosorrylol
- imsosorrylol
- finchinator
- sedertz
- starry blanket
- false
- z0mog
- nedor
- snowy
- starry blanket
- imsosorrylol
- tsmugs
- tsmugs
- false
- nedor
- insult
- insult
- tsmugs
- insult
- eternam
- tigers jaw
- imsosorrylol
- insult
- false
- eternam
- tsmugs
- finchinator
- finchinator
- eternam

Last edited:

false

maybe this is heaven
imsosorrylol for the delay but usum ou was in a state of flux for a while and then i had to get the builder list sorted out

sorry and sedertz joined the team so hopefully there's no shortage of teams/builders now

Last edited:
blacephalon.gif
scizor-mega.gif
Blacephalon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Trick

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Description: This core is pretty straightforward. Blacephalon weakens/threatens most of Scizor's checks (like keldeo for example) enabling it to sweep late game. In addition, Scizor gains momentum with U-turn on things such as celesteela allowing Blacephalon to switch in freely and just click fire blast. If it makes building easier the scizor spread and blacephalon moveset can be adjusted to specify the team's needs. Thank you to anyone that decides to build with this core. Much appreciated :)

Last edited:

Tace

beat goes on
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion

Requesting Tapu Lele+ Zard X

Cool Offensive Core that I’ve had success with, zard eliminates the steels for lele to clean up late game

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw/Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Roost

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Last edited:

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Tuant

Description:
Gyarados seems like it has been underrated this gen, with its main appearence being on the popularized z celebrate victini team. However, Mega Gyarados is nothing to scoff at, 155 attack and mold breaker taunt allow it to shread through bulkier teams like balance and stall. Dragon dance also gives it the speed to sweep through offensive teams, outspeeding past base 135's such as mega loppuny. the only things standing in the way of this monster are tapu bulu and mega venusuar, who can be deal with easily in a proper team.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes / Toxic

Celesteela and Toxapex make a great core together due to Celesteela helping cover up Tapu Lele, Latios and check Landorus-T while Toxapex helps cover up Blacephalon and Mega Charizard Y. They both wall a lot of Pokemon such as Mega Scizor, Greninja and Mega Diancie which makes them a very infuriating core to take down. Allowing Builder to use either Toxic Spikes or Toxic on Toxapex but outside of that goes nuts with them.

Ema Skye

Work!

Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Trick

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Power-Up Punch

These two work well by eliminating each others counters. Blace struggles with Tran and Ttar, which Lop has no problem eliminating, and Lop also brings a high enough speed tier to deal with Koko and Ash-Gren. Blace also gets rid of Mew, Tang and Steela, which Lop hates. Both do struggle with Pex, but Blace has Trick to cripple it.

Zygarde-50% plus Toxic Spikes
Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 188 HP / 140 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Protect
With Mew and Tangrowth dropping in viability a bit, I started to realize once again how much of a monster Zygarde-50% actually is. After stealing this set from aim (HP investment makes 101 subs and Spe investment allows +1 Zygarde to outspeed Mega Lopunny) I decided I wanted a team with it, but since I'm only an average builder, I think you guys would likely handle this request better than I would. I'd like to be paired with any Toxic Spikes user so taht Zygarde can make an effective use of this set, Toxapex, Greninja, or even heat Pokémon like Nidoking, Dragalge, or Nihilego. Have fun building :)

Chokepic

You're a choker if you say you've never choked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Requesting a team built around tornadus-t.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Knock Off

A mon that saw a lot of usage in oras, but in sm it decayed in usage and dropped to bl.

It has a good speed tier, that allowed it to outspeed all 110 spe base (or less) things including non scarf keldeo and kartana, pinsir-mega and gengar.

Z-crystal allows it to dont miss crucial KOs (because hurricane always misses lol) and also gives it a more wallbreaking power, but feel free to change the tornadus set if you want.

Last edited:

Robb576

It's all in the numbers
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Requesting Earth Power Specs Hydreigon

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast

Explanation:
With the ban of Naganadel, Hydreigon can finally stop being totally bad and start using Choice Specs again. It's good offenses and amazing coverage movepool gives it the tools it needs to break down walls.
In this request, Earth Power trades Flash Cannons ability to damage Fairy-types like Clefable and regular Diancie for a way to deal with Toxapex, Heatran, and Koko on the switch, as well as being its strongest option against Stakataka outside Focus Miss.

Good luck in advance!

CB Kartana

Kartana @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

Since mid-SM, Kartana has cemented itself as an incredible balance breaker with the Swords Dance set, and great revenge killer with the Choice Scarf set. However, Kartana’s attacks lacked spammability to wallbreak due to walls resisting its stabs or coverage, meaning it required a setup opportunity and z move to break defensive cores. USUM has remedied that issue with one of pokemon’s most spammable attacks...

scald Knock off.

Choice Band Kartana can cripple a plethora of traditional switch-ins by removing their recovery item, easing the ability to wear down bulky pokemon such as celesteela, lando-t, heatran, toxapex, and more for teammates, or for itself. Even against more offensive teams, CB Kartana can use its good speed stat and newfound colossal 691 attack stat to smash frailer teams once it’s in safely, similar to how specs lele is still great against offensive teams.

I believe this set has potential to become a smogondex set and I’ve run into it a few times in the 1800’s. I’d really appreciate a great builder trying this out :]

upload_2017-12-3_14-50-34.png

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

deadass i ain't used this mon since oras.

Zygarde @ Leftovers
EVs: 32 HP / 216 Atk / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Thousand Arrows
- Toxic
- Protect

Zygarde @ Leftovers
EVs: 32 HP / 216 Atk / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Thousand Arrows
- Toxic
- Protect

I somehow used this set twice and didn't get to send it in either game (sabella snake, kanto stour), but it's awesome. In the past zygs have been sub coil tox, sub setup tect, or sub Z, but never toxic + protect. I designed this set as a lando killer mostly, but it also messes up grasses like tang and bulu. You basically just toxic once and then sub tect forever until their hp is drained all the way down. It's kinda lame to not be able to break through ferro/sciz very easily so that should be taken into account, but it's still incredible vs most landot + magearna offenses.

Requesting Nidoking:

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower / Stealth Rocks
- Ice Beam / Stealth Rocks

Description:
Nidoking has remained a formidable and underrated threat to many balance and offence teams, despite the constant shifts in the meta, with Naganadel's recent removal from the tier I feel Nidoking isn't completely outclassed anymore, as it's amazing coverage and powerful stabs, boosted by its wonderful ability, mean it should not be taken lightly.
The set in question has not deviated for a long time, boasting the two stab moves which can ohko or 2hko many relevant walls and others. While the two amazing coverage moves being Ice Beam and Flamethrower allow Nidoking to adapt to any situation it is left to defend itself in. Allowing Nidoking to fully exploit anything unlucky enough to be slower than it. Stealth rocks provides an alternate option, threatening out opponents to net the hazards up for free, while simultaneously managing to threaten most viable defoggers, despite the new introductions. Nidoking has the power to shine, should the team help rather than hinder it.

Requesting a team with offensive Rotom-W.

Rotom-Wash @ Waterium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Rotom-W was usually used as a defensive Pokémon, but lately this set has been getting some usage and I would like to see a solid team using as the ones I made weren't as good as I'd like them to be. Thanks a lot!

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
View attachment 91855 View attachment 91860
Blacephalon @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Trick

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Description: This core is pretty straightforward. Blacephalon weakens/threatens most of Scizor's checks (like keldeo for example) enabling it to sweep late game. In addition, Scizor gains momentum with U-turn on things such as celesteela allowing Blacephalon to switch in freely and just click fire blast. If it makes building easier the scizor spread and blacephalon moveset can be adjusted to specify the team's needs. Thank you to anyone that decides to build with this core. Much appreciated :)

I made it scarf blace and tweaked the spread a bit, scarf blace obviously doesnt break through ttar the way specs hidden power can after rocks, but it provides more utility and just more opportunities in general to fire off strong attacks against the likes of SD Kartana, Tapu Koko, etc.

Blacephalon + Swords Dance Scizor Offense

(click the sprites)
I made like 4 different teams around this but it's super hard to cover Tapu Koko on a build like this without being slow as hell. With something to deal with Toxapex being practically necessary, or just a way to absorb Toxic Spikes, I eventually scraped to the bottom of the barrel and dug out esteemed pokemon Amoonguss.

This might be the only build that actually makes you use a mon like amoonguss, but the problem is pretty much every other Koko check has awful synergy with Blacephalon + Scizor. Ferrothorn is asking to lose to Magnezone, Scarf Lando is good but then you need another Rocker and you're stuck with no Zardx check on a Scizor team, everything else is pretty hard to use to be honest. AV Bulu means u need tspike removal and then you're slow as shit because pex + av bulu + zor + defensive lando which is sketchy on a scizor team tbh.

The Protean Gren set is neat and I've been pmed it by a couple people but never got a change to try it. Wanted a way to deal w/ Ferro which means i couldnt run Waterium Ash Gren so I went with this instead. It also hits pex with extrasensory letting you spike up, which the rest of the team appreciates a lot.

Scizor spread will usually KO Tapu Koko with +2 BP, and the spdef lets u handle mage a bit better and eat two specs psychics from lele as well, although Amoonguss deals with Thunderbolt/ Focus / Fleur SG Mage which is the rage right now.

Have fun!

I made it scarf blace and tweaked the spread a bit, scarf blace obviously doesnt break through ttar the way specs hidden power can after rocks, but it provides more utility and just more opportunities in general to fire off strong attacks against the likes of SD Kartana, Tapu Koko, etc.

Blacephalon + Swords Dance Scizor Offense

(click the sprites)
I made like 4 different teams around this but it's super hard to cover Tapu Koko on a build like this without being slow as hell. With something to deal with Toxapex being practically necessary, or just a way to absorb Toxic Spikes, I eventually scraped to the bottom of the barrel and dug out esteemed pokemon Amoonguss.

This might be the only build that actually makes you use a mon like amoonguss, but the problem is pretty much every other Koko check has awful synergy with Blacephalon + Scizor. Ferrothorn is asking to lose to Magnezone, Scarf Lando is good but then you need another Rocker and you're stuck with no Zardx check on a Scizor team, everything else is pretty hard to use to be honest. AV Bulu means u need tspike removal and then you're slow as shit because pex + av bulu + zor + defensive lando which is sketchy on a scizor team tbh.

The Protean Gren set is neat and I've been pmed it by a couple people but never got a change to try it. Wanted a way to deal w/ Ferro which means i couldnt run Waterium Ash Gren so I went with this instead. It also hits pex with extrasensory letting you spike up, which the rest of the team appreciates a lot.

Scizor spread will usually KO Tapu Koko with +2 BP, and the spdef lets u handle mage a bit better and eat two specs psychics from lele as well, although Amoonguss deals with Thunderbolt/ Focus / Fleur SG Mage which is the rage right now.

Have fun!
Thanks man I appreciate you taking the time out to build this. In my honest opinion I think amoonguss is a little underrated so I really like the team. Much appreciated

Requesting Darkium Hoopa-U

Hoopa-Unbound @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Magician
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Zen Headbutt/Fire Punch
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot

I honestly think darkium hoopa has quite a bit of potential in the current meta. The idea came from when ABR used it in smogtour playoffs and i thought the idea is really cool. Darkium is really strong coming off of hoopa allowing it to essentially have that one nuke button. Also not having hoopa typically locked into something allows it to not be taken advantage of by mons like lando, ttar, etc. Honestly this set can go special or physical idrc which. Would really appreciate this if you take this into consideration!

kartana.gif
tapulele.gif

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

Description: These two mons pair well with each other since kartana lures in celesteela and can knock off it's leftovers opening up specs Lele to do major damage. In addition, Lele benefits kartana by weakening steels making it easier for kartana to clean late game. The sets can be manipulated however as long as kartana has knock off. Flipping the two and making Lele scarf and kartana z or something is also an option. Thanks to whoever decides to build with this core. Much appreciated :)

REQUESTING: BLACEPHALON + MEGA MEDICHAM

Cool core around 2 great breakers. Medicham threatens pretty much every single check/counter to blacephalon making its rule of cleaning quite easy. Blacephalon can threaten some switches to medicham (Latios/Latias and lele a few examples of soft checks) depending on your blacephalon set. Thus clearing a path for medicham to put its nipples knees to work.

Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Explosion / Mind Blown / Flamethrower
- Trick

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out / Bullet Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt / Thunderpunch

Requesting: Waterium Z Keldeo + Scarf Tapu Lele

Keldeo @ Waterium Z
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Taunt

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power Fire
- Nature's Madness / Aromatherapy

Pretty nice core of a breaker and a cleaner. Waterium Z Keldeo with Calm Mind breaks nearly any answer to Tapu Lele, who can clean by spamming its strong Psychic after Keldeo punching holes in the enemy team. Keldeo also can serve as a emergency check for Scarf Blacephalon, who Lele can't revenge, as it can tank a +1 Shadow Ball and KO with Hydro Pump. I would like a balance or bulky offense team if posible :) Thanks in advance!

Requesting SD M-Mawile on Bulky Offense

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate / Hyper Cutter
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off / Thunder Punch / Focus Punch

Having a hard time myself getting mawile to work in this current meta with blacephalon being a problem, landorus-t being a real nuisance, and the rest of the threats that just make mawile useless as a slot.

Requesting OTR Stakataka

Stakataka @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Trick Room

This is a Pokemon I've been interested in building with for a while, but I've been struggling with fitting Stakataka on non-TR based teams like Cofag would in SM (and I suck at building teams). My only request with this is that you don't make the team full TR since I really want to see how this can act as a standalone mon, so do whatever you'd like for any possible partners. Go crazy and be creative!

Mega Medi + ClefPexSteela

requested by Roseybear

The normal mon you add with pex steela is clefable but I didn't wanna be too basic and imo those teams get too pressured by stuff like band tar and heatran. So instead of the standard clef I chose to use sp def hippo since it provides good role compression by checking tran,koko,lopunny,zygarde, as well as providing a ground and stealth rock. Then since I had a solid backbone I wanted a core of breakers so mega medicham and specs ash gren were added. Uturn on ash gren because you click it when they have a bulu or like a toxapex you just uturn and go into medicham and collect a kill. Defog was still needed as well as a scarfer and something that appreciated stuff like landorus being worn down as well as spikes being up so scarf lando t was added since it fit the criteria.

Fly Z Torn T VoltTurn

requested by DiegoP

Ok so with torn-t I realized it'd fit great on volt turn and I went with taunt because taunting stuff like lead drill and fatter stuff like pex and gliscor is really nice. Then I wanted a solid defogger to keep rocks off so torn can come in without being punished by rocks so I chose defog zor which also helps form a nice volt turn core. After that I slapped on everyones favorite mon landorus-t because it checks so much provides a ground resist as well as stealth rock as well as provides more uturn support for torn t. From there I realized I was super weak to ash gren and koko as well as different magearna variants so I dug a little deeper and added gastrodon. I had all this volturn and a nice solid backbone so I chose CB hoopa as the last member since even though I had torn-t the matchup with fatter teams was still a struggle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)