Programming Usage Stats Viewer

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've maintained a separate Monotype stats section for a while now that was hosted through the Monotype room's Weebly. I decided to move that off the Weebly because it was a complete pain in the ass to maintain. Also, that was the first thing I ever coded (outside some physics projects for school), so a bunch of the code was crap.

In the process of re-writing it, I ended up expanding it to include most of Smogon's metagames.

You can view the result here: http://monotypeps.com/smogon-usage-stats/

You can also use the hash to directly access a specific metagame and cutoff. For example:
http://monotypeps.com/smogon-usage-stats/#monotype-1630
http://monotypeps.com/smogon-usage-stats/#uu-1760

There are still some features left to add and aesthetics to refine (I totally didn't use sweepercalcs table design), but the core functionality is there. I have most of the monthly maintenance automated, so expect regular updates as Antar releases stuff.

I'll gladly accept any feedback or suggestions for improvement, but no promises on how quickly those will be implemented.

Last edited:
Good job, I like the design of this a lot. Especially the dropdown menus are neat.

You can also use the hash to directly access a specific metagame and cutoff. For example:
http://monotypeps.tk/smogon-usage-stats/#monotype-1630
http://monotypeps.tk/smogon-usage-stats/#uu-1760
Am I doing this wrong? http://monotypeps.tk/smogon-usage-stats/#ou-1825 links to 0, not 1825.

Edit: In Chrome, but not in Firefox, the "item", "move" and "spread classification" tables are lacking the scrollbar. In firefox, I can see that the table continues but in chrome it only seems to have 8 entries.

Last edited:

scpinion

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Good job, I like the design of this a lot. Especially the dropdown menus are neat.

Am I doing this wrong? http://monotypeps.tk/smogon-usage-stats/#ou-1825 links to 0, not 1825.
Thanks, this should be fixed now. OU and the other metagames that used cutoffs other than 1500, 1630, and 1760 had the same bug.

Edit: In Chrome, but not in Firefox, the "item", "move" and "spread classification" tables are lacking the scrollbar. In firefox, I can see that the table continues but in chrome it only seems to have 8 entries.
I intentionally removed the scrollbar in Chrome. I loathe the way the scrollbar's white background looks and don't want to style them with jquery. The table should still be scrollable, though. In Firefox, I can't remove the scrollbar without preventing the table from scrolling. Does the table still scroll in chrome, despite the scrollbar not being visible?

I can add the scrollbars if it isn't intuitive that the table should be scrollable?

Ooh, you can scroll it with arrow keys once the focus is on it.

Well, I'd have to say that's not intuitive. Before I looked at Firefox, I was going to report that there's an empty table row at the bottom. (Only the top few pixels showed, so it looked like a container that only consisted of margins.)

Awesome tool! I did notice one thing that could be adjusted. When viewing EV spreads, the "HP Invested" category excludes max HP spreads (which I think is good), but none of the other stats appear to do that. Could you make it so that the other stats will show 200-244 EV spreads exclusively in "HP Invested?"

scpinion

Ooh, you can scroll it with arrow keys once the focus is on it.

Well, I'd have to say that's not intuitive. Before I looked at Firefox, I was going to report that there's an empty table row at the bottom. (Only the top few pixels showed, so it looked like a container that only consisted of margins.)
If it isn't intuitive, then I'll get over the way the scroll bars look. Thanks! Should be fixed momentarily.

Awesome tool! I did notice one thing that could be adjusted. When viewing EV spreads, the "HP Invested" category excludes max HP spreads (which I think is good), but none of the other stats appear to do that. Could you make it so that the other stats will show 200-244 EV spreads exclusively in "HP Invested?"
Thanks!

I don't quite understanding what you're asking. The "Atk-Invested" section contains all spreads with more than 200 Atk EVs, but excludes 252 Atk and a boosting nature (the same applies for Def, SpA, SpD). Thus, 252 Atk without a boosting nature is included in this section.

Are you saying to make a separate section for >244 Atk, but without a boosting nature?

It is worth noting, a single spread can receive multiple classifications:
Example: A Zapdos running Calm:248/0/0/0/244/16 (a popular set in Monotype) would be classified as:
  • Max HP; it has more than 248 HP EVs
  • SpD-Invested; it has more than 200 SpD EVs
  • Speed Benchmark; it has between 16 and 200 Speed EVs

I don't quite understanding what you're asking. The "Atk-Invested" section contains all spreads with more than 200 Atk EVs, but excludes 252 Atk and a boosting nature (the same applies for Def, SpA, SpD). Thus, 252 Atk without a boosting nature is included in this section.

Are you saying to make a separate section for >244 Atk, but without a boosting nature?
Oh, okay. Somehow I completely missed the fact that the spreads were separated by nature, lol. I guess what I was asking is if you could move all 248/252 spreads to the "Max" section regardless of nature, but you're right, it's probably better to just limit that to boosting natures.

Looks good! Although I think the list of Pokemon should be scroll-able (cut off at 20 Pokemon) so you don't have to scroll back to the top. Or just add a click event to the Pokemon that starts a smooth-scroll to the top of the page.

Last edited:

scpinion

August 2016 uploaded.

Also, some updates to the interface:
– Removed the "loading..." text on each metagame/cutoff/month change. Everything loads much faster than I anticipated originally. It was annoying asf for that to constantly pop up.
– Usage lists are now scrollable, cutting off at 20 entries for the text list and 24 entries for the sprites.​

Plus some QoL improvements for Monotype people:
– Monotype players can now jump directly to a particular type using the hash. e.g., stats.monotypeps.com#monotype-1630-grass takes you to the grass usage stats.
– When switching between months or cutoffs, the type doesn't change.​

and...

Monotype's Matchup Tables are back! Just click the radio button at the top when you're in the Monotype section. I'm missing June/July and I can't find the files to re-create them on my computer... :(

August and May are currently missing too, but will go live later today (just need to run those scripts and push the changes).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)