Programming UPDATE Nov 20th: Updated with Sun&Moon sprites and Z-Moves!. Showdown App for Android (beta)

Hey Smogon,
How to download and install:
(1) Step 1: Enable installation from Unknown sources by going to Settings > Security > Unknown sources
(2) Step 2: Go this this link: http://ns3367227.ip-37-187-3.eu/showdown/ and download file "current.apk" to your phone. File size is about 5.5MB.
(3) Step 3: Open the downloaded .apk file to install the application.

Version Log:

1.2: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...for-android-beta.3526473/page-11#post-6387913
1.1: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/showdown-app-for-android-beta.3526473/page-8#post-6153611

Announcement #3:
After a period of hiatus, a new developer McBeengs is attempting to restart the project. TeToN is also back fixing bugs on the old version. Showdown! 2.0 will support portrait mode, and hopefully animated sprites. Alpha version to be released early 2017. Check out post #464 for more details!

Announcement #2:

Showdown! has been removed from Google Play Store due to copywrong issue (from Nintendo). This event is expected, given that by using Nintendo's materials we violated most if not all of Play Store's content policy. I personally attest that our Android team is still working on the app in our casual time. In the future, the app will be distributed in a different way.

Thanks for all the supports and bug reports; we will make another announcement when a more stable version is ready. Fyi, the app clocked in 4.5/1121 reviews and 27,907 installs after the first week \:D/
Announcement #1:

https://github.com/NamTThai/PokemonShowdownAndroidClient

Showdown App is out in the Play Store! It's relatively stable now that I'm confident for a beta release. Though, take a look at known bugs below to be aware of its current limitations.

Huge shout out to TeToN and Lazloz for your contributions!

System Requirements:

Compatible with Android 4.1 and up.

This app is currently designed for small 5" phones, and maybe 7" tablets. If you have larger chopping board then you're probably better off with Showdown web app.

Battling:

Ranbats work fine for me, similarly for most Single battles. Haven't caught any serious bug for random doubles yet. You can only play one battle at a time for now.

A dialog with available moves with show up at the bottom of the screen. Switching is done by tapping the switch button on the top left corner of the following dialog. During teampreview, you get this dialog by tapping the big sprites. During normal battle, you get this dialog by taping the small icons on the left panel

Important note:
* The app is currently unlikely to crash. If it fails to behave and you wanna finish the battle, tap on the Tag icon to either refresh, or get room id and finish the battle in your device's browser.

Utility:
Pokedex and Damage Calculator are available for your convenience.

Teambuilding:

Beside basic teambuilding, this app supports importing teams by pastebin or QR code. Here's a web app to convert team to QR code: http://lazloz.de:9080/ShowdownExport/

Tap on the blue frame on the right to increment by 1 :) Majority of stuffs with blue fame and light blue background are clickable, try it out.

Community Lounge:

P/S: Showdown staffs and contributors who wish to be included in this app's credit, plz PM me with ur picture :)

Last edited:
Known Bugs:
* If application is left in the background for a while, connection is lost and won't reconnect when coming back (need to reset app)
* Bug when team has multiple pokemons of the same species. So Anything Goes doesn't really work
* Form changes for Aegislash, Castform etc. not displayed correctly
* Baton Pass passes on status

Requested Features:
* Concurrent battles
* Private challenges, private messages
* Parse HTML in Community Lounge
* Replays
* Showdown's settings

Last edited:
Goes to download it - realizes his phone has an old version of Android.

Bummer. Anyway, this is great news. I would have liked to lend a hand by testing it, though. Well, it will be in another time.

But I repeat, this is great news. Showdown always had an interface that would work on mobile devices, after all.

This is actually amazing. I played ten or so games on it and it works very well. Thank you guys for working on this app and please keep up the great work! :]

ur god bro
is it possible to access other servers?
Not yet (not without rebuilding the app), but we should add it to the requested features.

(nice shiny badges btw)

Goes to download it - realizes his phone has an old version of Android.
Bummer. Anyway, this is great news. I would have liked to lend a hand by testing it, though. Well, it will be in another time.
But I repeat, this is great news. Showdown always had an interface that would work on mobile devices, after all.
Sorry, we needed 4.1 for websockets i think.

This is actually amazing. I played ten or so games on it and it works very well. Thank you guys for working on this app and please keep up the great work! :]
No problems :)

Is this for IOS?
Nope, android 4.1+ only!

Great job, as a guy with a moderate it background (self taught hacker) I know how hard something like this is to make, so I applaud you, hope "pick 4" battles get included soon.
pick 4 battles will be implemented soon.

Known Bugs:
Requested Features:

* Private challenges
You know it's jsut waiting for you on your pull requests :pimp:

---------------------

Thanks to the owner of the Smogon Twitter/Facebook account for tweeting/facebooking about this project! (TRC i guess?)

Shoutout to Zarel for Pokemon Showdown!
Shoutout to RainFountain for accepting me in the project!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot man! I have a bug to report, I used Volt Switch and a weird message box opened, when I tried to switch nothing happened and the battle couldn't continue and I lost to the timer
We'll try to reproduce and fix.

(was it in singles/doubles/random battles?)

(Guessing the message box was either outofbounds or jsonexception?)

Thanks for the report.

We'll try to reproduce and fix.

(was it in singles/doubles/random battles?)

(Guessing the message box was either outofbounds or jsonexception?)

Thanks for the report.
It was on Singles and happened again, but this time I used Thunder Wave, this message box appeared, my moves dissapear and Im forced to switch, but when I try, the game stops

Attachments

It was on Singles and happened again, but this time I used Thunder Wave, this message box appeared, my moves dissapear and Im forced to switch, but when I try, the game stops
Thanks for the report. I got the bug report and I'll try to fix them asap. For now, you have the option to get roomId and finish the battle in your device's browser. And I do need to provide a different layout for smaller screen it seems

When I use Showdown's function to export all teams at once, the app doesn't recognize separate teams; instead it clumps it all into one team.

When I use Showdown's function to export all teams at once, the app doesn't recognize separate teams; instead it clumps it all into one team.
Yes you have to import one team at a time for now. Sorry for the inconvenience, i'll add a way to import everything at once.

Pretty cool. Played some Random Battles for the test run.

Don't know if it was a random happening or not. Solar Beam displayed some weird/glitchy text in the pop-up message. It worked normal though. Was an opposing Pyroar hitting my Blissey in the Sun.

Also, unless people were actually staying in the battle rooms, it seems like no message of them leaving appears (after the battle is completed). Forfeits show up though.

Pretty cool. Played some Random Battles for the test run.

Don't know if it was a random happening or not. Solar Beam displayed some weird/glitchy text in the pop-up message. It worked normal though. Was an opposing Pyroar hitting my Blissey in the Sun.

Also, unless people were actually staying in the battle rooms, it seems like no message of them leaving appears (after the battle is completed). Forfeits show up though.
Something like -prepare|Solar beam i guess?

OrbitingDeath

formerly SkylarGreen
Random Double Battle bug I encountered this morning on my phone:

Did a Sky Drop with Braviary while my other Pokemon fainted (last one I had), afterwards I kept getting to select actions for the already fainted Pokémon.

---

While trying to start a new game I regularly kept getting authorization token invalid while on my phone. Was on a mobile network, so could be related to a bad connection after failing to start a game.

While trying to start a new game I regularly kept getting authorization token invalid while on my phone. Was on a mobile network, so could be related to a bad connection after failing to start a game.
I had this issue just now as well. Except I haven't been able to sign in at all.

Hey guys, gg on getting this out finally! I have questions/requests.

1st, does this connect to the main Showdown server so we can battle people using, say, a laptop or desktop connection from a browser? If so, does the status from baton pass pass with those people playing as well or what?

2nd, although I've seen that you don't play to release for iOS, do you think it would maybe run on iOS anyway if you uploaded it to a Cydia repo? I know that getting apps in the Apple AppStore is a hassle, but from I understand, getting them into the ModMyI repo isn't all that hard. Just a question! (This is all for a jailbroken iPhone btw.) I have a lot of experience with jailbreaking and am definitely willing to help you test it out if you want jailbreak testers.

At any rate, I have an Android tablet I'm going to install this on as soon as I get home! Good job again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)