Unpopular opinions

Since they were that desperate, you have to wonder why they didn't, I don't know, not remove the Mega in the first place or something?
I don’t see any objective reason to assume that desperation was a factor or that they blindly created some kind of problem for themselves, rather than it simply being a case of them reworking the established idea of Gengar getting trapping capabilities into the newer mechanical context.

The whole idea of Shadow Tag is that the Pokémon is “stepping” on the opponent’s shadow to prevent them from fleeing, and Gengar has always been associated with hiding in shadows. It’s a natural thematic pairing.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Gengar especially feels like they were scrambling to replace its mega because it's G-max move traps the opponents just like Gengar-Mega's Shadow Tag. Since they were that desperate, you have to wonder why they didn't, I don't know, not remove the Mega in the first place or something? I do think a few of the gen 8 Gmaxes look decent, but it comes with the cost of the base mon looking like it exists only as a vessel for the GMax, a potentially larger problem since the base mon is more likely to show up in future games than the GMax.
And then Applin got a third member in Teal Mask that evolves further in Indigo Disk, while Duraludon got the honor to have the first cross-gen evo to have 600 BST. The former was most likely done so that Kieran doesn’t run with a somewhat wimpy Ace in the Indigo League, though Archaludon proved even bigger help thanks to better Abilities (especially Stamina) + better bulk + Electro Shot synergy with rain.

I do think it shows Game Freak knowing in advance that making them vessel for GMax forms isn’t the greatest idea in hindsight, so they are willing to compensate them so that Applin and Duraludon so far can stand on their own with a powerful evolution.

Archaludon might break lategame into half considering all Duraludon needs is a single Metal Alloy at any level, wheras pseudo-legendaries lines, the other non-single species with the final form with 600 BST, have high level requirement regardless of where they were found, with the Deino line being notorious for excessively high level requirement even in BW standards.

Making Metal Alloy an endgame raid reward or just only found in a endgame location would help prevent Duraludon from shattering the entire lategame (or worse, much earlier) and make Archaludon more akin to the pseudos; an endgame powerhouse that is just in time for the League or other endgame stuff. Although, Archaludon’s level-up learnset barely improves from Duraludon’s physical oriented level-up learnset, so who knows how to handle it in the future.

The thing I think that is off about Gigantamax Gengar to me is that aside from the Giant Mouth, it just looks like a Bigger Gengar, as in something Gengar's normal look would sport if it opened its mouth instead of having its signature toothy grin. The Tongue even kind of reminds me of Haunter's Lick shot from the Anime opening.

Also, Mega Gengar looks like an extension of Gengar's overall basis, a Pokemon that turns into and moves in Shadows, helped by its gradiant colors and rounded/less-defined limbs as if it's melting into the ground, while G-Max just looks like he sunk into it "physically" with how flat the bottom meets the ground. It almost comes across like an early sketch of Mega Gengar that the art team would put on a board to refine INTO the design we got, sort of illustrate "we want this idea, let's get creative." A couple other lesser G-Maxes like Duraludon, Copperajah, Centiskorch, and especially Grimmsnarl (people meme about Sneasler for the same "original but LONG" design) also give me this feeling on detail despite not having "finalized" equivalents in Megas, while others are such radical departures I imagine they would have been Megas in an earlier Gen like Butterfree, Toxitricity, or Alcremie

The more I look at Gigantamax Pokémon, the more they resemble bad fan-art of new Mega Evolution Pokémon that saturated Pokémon discourse from 2013 to 2016. Most Gigantamax forms are designed along the lines of "what if Pokémon's feature / body part was huge?". Gigantimax Pokémon focus on growing to giant size and hurling elemental projectiles from the sky, whereas Mega Evolution Pokémon usually look unique and capture the idea of a Pokémon tapping into an awesome, mysterious power without being overwhelming. The Pokémon that best illustrates this is Gengar.

View attachment 625472
If you use Mega Gengar, you have summoned the incarnation of terror. Its gradient "skin" tone and sinking into the ground emphasize how it can warp into and out of surfaces at will; I am not even sure of the significance of its "third eye" but it certainly induces fear, and with a smile like that Gengar knows it has practically defeated its foe already. Mega Gengar is distinct but doesn't overdo the creepiness or new biology. Overall, it is clear it does not play by the rules other Pokémon do.
View attachment 625474
"Look at what my buddy Guzzlord taught me! Are you scared? ARE YOU?" Gigantamax Gengar leans into the clownish elements of the Pokémon, which is fine, but I am not sure whether to laugh with it or at it. I can't be the only one who just sees a rejected Mega Evolution concept.
Images are from Bulbapedia.
Both are wack.

I agree with G-Max Gengar, the whole haunted house tunnel thing just... wasn't it, really.

Megas have a lot of flat-out ridiculous designs, either emphasizing a certain characteristic (just like G-Max) or throwing random spikes/wavy protrusions everywhere. (Hi TTar)

Mega Sceptile and Slowbro can be accused of the exact same thing G-Max Gengar was in your post.

It's rough to improve on finished designs, especially following certain design choices that don't always synergize with the original, especially if they're popular.

In my opinion, both mechanics failed in this sense for the most part. Very few Megas and G-Max mons are aesthetically good.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I think the main issue with both Mega and Gmax designs is that the design team was probably commanded to give those forms to certain Pokémon even though they didn’t have creativity for it. I always think about how Flygon was supposed to get a Mega but they couldn’t think of a good design for it, and then compare it to Mega-Evolutions like Medicham (it got ribbons!), Manectric (it didn’t get its hair cut!), and Sharpedo (they kind of just added more patterns and changed its shape a bit??). I find it really hard to believe that the character design department went to the heads like “we have this really great idea for this design, please put it in the game”, and when the process happens the other way around it will generally provide middling results.

I think GMax was definitely the same situation, but oftentimes worse for the design team. The fact that GMax is Kanto + Garbodor + Gen 8 is really weird anyway, but it could’ve made sense if a lot of Gen 8 Pokémon were designed with Gmax in mind so that the final stages still had more room to grow. The issue is that most of them didn’t, though calling that an issue is a good thing considering the mechanic was likely never planned to live for more than one generation.

If I’m being honest, the only good Gen 8 Gmax form IMO is Orbeetle’s. That’s because it elevated the design into a different type of concept, and I strongly believe that Orbeetle was probably one of the first Gen 8 Pokémon completed. Every other Gen 8 Gmax is “the regular design but make one part slightly bigger”, or you have Flapple and Appletun sharing a Gmax that doesn’t even seem that linked to either of their actual designs.

I think the main issue with both Mega and Gmax designs is that the design team was probably commanded to give those forms to certain Pokémon even though they didn’t have creativity for it. I always think about how Flygon was supposed to get a Mega but they couldn’t think of a good design for it, and then compare it to Mega-Evolutions like Medicham (it got ribbons!), Manectric (it didn’t get its hair cut!), and Sharpedo (they kind of just added more patterns and changed its shape a bit??). I find it really hard to believe that the character design department went to the heads like “we have this really great idea for this design, please put it in the game”, and when the process happens the other way around it will generally provide middling results.
Even if I'm not the biggest Mega Evolution fan, I can appreciate the concepts behind some of them. Mega Medicham I don't completely get, but it has extra psychic "limbs" it uses to enhance its power. Manectric exaggerates its already exaggerated lightning rod mane into a cartoon lightning bolt that covers its entire body (it runs like lightning). And from what I can tell, Sharpedo takes the double tooth whammy that regular sharks have (their scales are called denticles and they're similar in composition to actual teeth, and their actual teeth grow back constantly when lost) and exaggerates it to the point where it basically has tooth tumors growing out of its body.

Whether or not the designs are actually good is subjective, but conceptually Megas are usually about breaking past limits that keep the Pokémon biologically balanced.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor

I think GMax was definitely the same situation, but oftentimes worse for the design team. The fact that GMax is Kanto + Garbodor + Gen 8 is really weird anyway, but it could’ve made sense if a lot of Gen 8 Pokémon were designed with Gmax in mind so that the final stages still had more room to grow. The issue is that most of them didn’t, though calling that an issue is a good thing considering the mechanic was likely never planned to live for more than one generation.

If I’m being honest, the only good Gen 8 Gmax form IMO is Orbeetle’s. That’s because it elevated the design into a different type of concept, and I strongly believe that Orbeetle was probably one of the first Gen 8 Pokémon completed. Every other Gen 8 Gmax is “the regular design but make one part slightly bigger”, or you have Flapple and Appletun sharing a Gmax that doesn’t even seem that linked to either of their actual designs.
That issue also happened with the cross-gen evos introduced in Gen 4, of which are hit-or-miss design-wise with how disliked Rhyperior, Probopass, Lickilicky, and a few others are by fans, despite how well-liked Electivire, Dusknoir and Roserade are. The sudden artstyle shift didn’t helped their cause, either.

The divisive reception back in DPPt may play a part of absolutely no cross-gen evos introduced in Gen 5… Though retrospective reception toward Gen 5 dex is also mixed due to how utterly isolated they felt + copies a bit too much from the Gen 1 basis.

Still, I am not enthusiastic with Mega and GMax designs, with only some exceptions like Mega Swampert and GMax Orbeetle, due to the reasons Celever told us, even with “Mega Evolution isn’t natural” and with what CPU said in mind. A few Mega Evolutions felt downright cluttered, which may be excusable on Mega Rayquaza (though that could have been done better imo) but not so much on the rest.

I think my thing with megas and gmaxes is that when they're good, its because theyre taking pokemon who fumbled or just didnt do much with their concepts and give them a bump up (with some exceptions)

pidgeot needed some extra hints of color and a better finish to the hair concept to make it less generic bird. sableye and mawile are single stages with good concepts but the megas function as pseudo redesigns/evolutions that make them fit within modern design a lot more. kingler is just a crab but the spindly legs and big beard of the gmax make it have a much stronger personality and striking design and feel than just "generic crab monster".
While i dont like zard, the gmax fire wings made the concept a lot more fun and if base zard had fire wings it'd be a much better mon. gmax butterfly made that mon feel less like generic butterfly and give it a bit more pizzaz.

of course, then in my head it goes "man, i wish that was an evolution/cross region evo/regional variant" (or "man i wish theyd just redesign this to be the base form" but thats just fantasy land).

the zard one is so ingrained i just draw base zard with gmax zard wings nowadays LOL

fire starter redesigns.png

kingler is just a crab but the spindly legs and big beard of the gmax make it have a much stronger personality and striking design and feel than just "generic crab monster".
"Just" a crab? Someone has never heard of a fiddler crab (a type of crab with an oversized claw that regular Kingler is based on). The G-Max form takes design cues from the Japanese spider crab (the crab with the longest legspan; I recommend looking up other images because these things are tall), fitting for a BIG form. Its bubble beard also relates to the foam crabs make from their gills when on land.

of course, then in my head it goes "man, i wish that was an evolution/cross region evo/regional variant" (or "man i wish theyd just redesign this to be the base form" but thats just fantasy land).
And there's my other gripe with Megas.

What would benefit Sableye and Mawile more in the long term? An actual evolution, or getting those megas?

Anything that was still able to evolve should not have gotten a Mega.

Megas are overrated. I think we can all agree G-Max forms were mid. But megas actually hurt the game more than they helped them.
The concept is amazing, give otherwise underwhelming mons the ability to evolve further and give them extra stats, changed abilities and typings. But this fails because of two reasons.
1. The distribution. Now sure, lots of underwhelming mons got megas, but lots that didn't got some anyways. No, all the psuedo-legendary megas were not needed. Wtf did gengar and lucario need them, they were doing fine but they decided to create them. Despite soaring being one of the best mechanics in the game, latios/latias didn't need megas (alongside having awful designs). And then sometimes, they buff a bad mon but make it worse in some way. The only two examples I can think of a mega audino and mega garchomp. M-Audino should have kept Regenerator, simple. Mega Garchomp is worse than Garchomp cause of that speed lose. But apparently, it needed to be balanced. *Stares at M-Metagross, M-Gengar and M-Salamence* (Not even going to touch M-Rayquazza, that's story shit and AG).
2. Long term value. If megas stayed around for longer, then sure, they would still be good. However, due to Gamefreak deciding that each gen needs a gimmick, these actually hurt the mons viability a lot more. Sableye and mawile are perfect examples. GF would most likely give new evos to them, but because they have megas, that goes against the lore of "only fully evolved mons can mega evolve". Thus, they are hurt way, way more by megas because in the future they cannot change them that much. If a mega mon does get a new evo though, then this is thrown out the door.

Last edited:
Okay, I understand there is a ridiculous amount of information to account for when programming a battle AI. Seasoned players make mistakes on occasion. I admit I'm not a coder and I don't know how large modern AI structure is, or how feasible it is to increase it. But I feel that at least reacting to new developments in a battle should be something the AI should be regularly capable of.
From my perspective (as a novice game coder, and novice game designer), AI like that it would probably be more effort than is warranted to make an AI that tries to account for every type of move fail possibility. This is because most of them have different errors due to different logic flows.

AI in games can be expressed in many ways. Modern game engines are powerful.

It can be as simple as having a raycast that the player walks into to turn aggro, -> randomize attacking on timers, -> having certain attacks lead to others, -> having a guaranteed lead attack... But ultimately, all of that isn't too hard. A lot of more action-y games do not have super complex AI, and instead use well-designed attacks and enemies with several of them to account for more scenarios. "If the player leaves the close-range raycast/hitbox, use (attack meant to close the gap") is fairly simple logic, after all.

It can get as complex as Rain World. But Rain World's AI, while very complex, is still not absurd to code as individual creatures. Rain World creates a believable ecosystem by assigning many variables that essentially mimics a food web, and then assigns enemies random personality types/attributes to spice it up. Have some give up on chasing other enemies for food quicker, and have these enemies be territorial with each other.

It's also a game where most of the point is this ecosystem, so it makes sense to put all of this time in.

Let's look at JRPGs rather than action games. Turn-based JRPGs often go with the approach of either hard-coding attacks, or having few attacks pulled at random. An Octopath 2 boss enemy will have 3ish attacks that are pulled over and over. Maybe there will be another factor, too, like if it has minions and they are killed, on x amount of turns they will be revived. But overall because of the fewer variables, making these bosses tough is usually more about if the player can win the numbers game. Getting damage on them and being able to heal off the damage with enough mana to survive long-term. Strategy comes into play with status/buffsdebuffs and resource management.

Pokemon is fucking weird. Because it's a battle system that's been expanded in a matter of directions for ages.

Let's look at a similarly long-running turn-based JRPG series: Shin Megami Tensei, and the main-series Persona (/j). While it's lasted as long as Pokemon, it's still more like the other JRPG game example I used. The systems are not that dissimilar with the SMT JRPGs from the 90s, and they didn't add hundreds of moves or abilities. SMT games moreso shake up the combat by having certain features come back or not come back, such as demon negotiation, or how Press-Turn is expressed.

But there is no "We added 30 new status moves and half of them do wildly different things." every few years. And the boss fights are basically just 3ish attacks they play at random/are hardcoded to go into patterns for.

Pokemon is weird because it is not based on the traditional way to make JRPGs work as singleplayer titles, because it's not designed around you having multiple party members out against a boss. In Pokemon if your Pokemon one shots 6 Pokemon in a row, that is the fight. And that is not that unreasonable, either. Except for Totems, which is kinda why they are good.

Coding AI that isn't just cheating and also accounts for so many variables and new information and checks would be a pain in the ass, and have so many errors. It'd have to follow logic flows that could mess up with any number of other variables.

It'd take a long time, a lot of QA, and ultimately it would not be appreciated by a lot of players. Hell, it might even make it worse at times, killing cooler strategies or making new players struggle harder. While some may feel the closer to human play would be cooler and make for a fun challenge, and I agree to an extent (love Radical Red), the average player appeal to Pokemon is kind of like...

"Kirby JRPG" with, of course, catching.

I remember having my younger brother try LGPE when he was 12. He loved it because of the smaller dex helping him keep types in his head, no abilities to remember, and the catching element felt more involved. He beat it (with some help from me).

I let him play SWSH and he never got past the second gym. It was hard for him to remember all of these new Pokemon's types, the Dynamax mechanic was not well-explained and not a mechanic he had to use much. So many new moves, abilities he had no clue about, etc. It became a point where he decided to just try to grind in the Wild Area to overlevel instead of trying to get a type advantage on Nessa.

This could be solved with difficulty modes, but we all know Game Freak's philosophy on choices. Which since I'm nerding out for a sec, I have to say is really not just Game Freak. While Nintendo and Game Freak are not the same company, they both have had this philosophy for a while that less options is better. They try to make it so that one polished experience is what every player gets with minimal deviance, so they know what experience it will be exactly. Also cuts down on QA.

They didn't have to cut Switch/Set from SV but that's probably why.

Anywho, if you want to understand more about game design and why things are the way they are, and this is not easy for everyone — find the target demographic and have them play it. See where they struggle, where they succeed, and what makes them want to play or not play. The LGPE catching mechanic was a huge win for my brother because he did not find the turn-based combat consistent due to his lack of knowledge, and it felt more involved to use physical actions to play.

The last area where more in-depth AI would be cool is the Battle Facilities but let's be honest, it's clear that Game Freak is on their way to kind of just moving past them. Legends Arceus had an update that added one, but LA battle mechanics kinda suck so... And I think the intention of Mastery was more similar to LFPE's post-game 1v1s. The same team made both games after all.

Scarlet/Violet didn't really add one even through DLC.

If I'm wrong though and that's just an SV moment, then it could maybe be worth developing that AI for it even if it was a niche side feature (that's what Battle Facilities are, the vast majority of players who beat the game will just stop playing or make a new save file), but generally the AI cheating or having hard-coding for specific strategies is probably a way easier solution + on top of the AI having well, good teams.

Long rant to basically say: Nothing is impossible but it's probably more worth the effort to just not do it, or have the AI cheat. AI in general is not usually made to be that complex unless the AI being complex is a major component of the game, and that is not usually the case, and not the case in Pokemon. Usually giving the AI options that are good to use with fewer checks, but usually better results is going to make for better fights for all players.

I'd first suggest them giving enemy AI better Pokemon and stats before trying to do all of that, because it'd probably lead to a much better result.

"Just" a crab? Someone has never heard of a fiddler crab (
I already knew all of what you mentioned lol (i love arthropods)! but fiddler crabs are like generic crab #2, some of the most popular crabs in media and kingler piles on it with a very... eh? design. it doesnt use most of the crabs fun anatomy like the eyes or mouth or carapace. The gmax does something more by paying attention to the spider crabs anatomy and their bubble tendencies, fits a lot more with modern designs having a bigger interest in the biology of the mons

From my perspective (as a novice game coder, and novice game designer), AI like that it would probably be more effort than is warranted to make an AI that tries to account for every type of move fail possibility. This is because most of them have different errors due to different logic flows.

AI in games can be expressed in many ways. Modern game engines are powerful.

It can be as simple as having a raycast that the player walks into to turn aggro, -> randomize attacking on timers, -> having certain attacks lead to others, -> having a guaranteed lead attack... But ultimately, all of that isn't too hard. A lot of more action-y games do not have super complex AI, and instead use well-designed attacks and enemies with several of them to account for more scenarios. "If the player leaves the close-range raycast/hitbox, use (attack meant to close the gap") is fairly simple logic, after all.

It can get as complex as Rain World. But Rain World's AI, while very complex, is still not absurd to code as individual creatures. Rain World creates a believable ecosystem by assigning many variables that essentially mimics a food web, and then assigns enemies random personality types/attributes to spice it up. Have some give up on chasing other enemies for food quicker, and have these enemies be territorial with each other.

It's also a game where most of the point is this ecosystem, so it makes sense to put all of this time in.

Let's look at JRPGs rather than action games. Turn-based JRPGs often go with the approach of either hard-coding attacks, or having few attacks pulled at random. An Octopath 2 boss enemy will have 3ish attacks that are pulled over and over. Maybe there will be another factor, too, like if it has minions and they are killed, on x amount of turns they will be revived. But overall because of the fewer variables, making these bosses tough is usually more about if the player can win the numbers game. Getting damage on them and being able to heal off the damage with enough mana to survive long-term. Strategy comes into play with status/buffsdebuffs and resource management.

Pokemon is fucking weird. Because it's a battle system that's been expanded in a matter of directions for ages.

Let's look at a similarly long-running turn-based JRPG series: Shin Megami Tensei, and the main-series Persona (/j). While it's lasted as long as Pokemon, it's still more like the other JRPG game example I used. The systems are not that dissimilar with the SMT JRPGs from the 90s, and they didn't add hundreds of moves or abilities. SMT games moreso shake up the combat by having certain features come back or not come back, such as demon negotiation, or how Press-Turn is expressed.

But there is no "We added 30 new status moves and half of them do wildly different things." every few years. And the boss fights are basically just 3ish attacks they play at random/are hardcoded to go into patterns for.

Pokemon is weird because it is not based on the traditional way to make JRPGs work as singleplayer titles, because it's not designed around you having multiple party members out against a boss. In Pokemon if your Pokemon one shots 6 Pokemon in a row, that is the fight. And that is not that unreasonable, either. Except for Totems, which is kinda why they are good.

Coding AI that isn't just cheating and also accounts for so many variables and new information and checks would be a pain in the ass, and have so many errors. It'd have to follow logic flows that could mess up with any number of other variables.

It'd take a long time, a lot of QA, and ultimately it would not be appreciated by a lot of players. Hell, it might even make it worse at times, killing cooler strategies or making new players struggle harder. While some may feel the closer to human play would be cooler and make for a fun challenge, and I agree to an extent (love Radical Red), the average player appeal to Pokemon is kind of like...

"Kirby JRPG" with, of course, catching.

I remember having my younger brother try LGPE when he was 12. He loved it because of the smaller dex helping him keep types in his head, no abilities to remember, and the catching element felt more involved. He beat it (with some help from me).

I let him play SWSH and he never got past the second gym. It was hard for him to remember all of these new Pokemon's types, the Dynamax mechanic was not well-explained and not a mechanic he had to use much. So many new moves, abilities he had no clue about, etc. It became a point where he decided to just try to grind in the Wild Area to overlevel instead of trying to get a type advantage on Nessa.

This could be solved with difficulty modes, but we all know Game Freak's philosophy on choices. Which since I'm nerding out for a sec, I have to say is really not just Game Freak. While Nintendo and Game Freak are not the same company, they both have had this philosophy for a while that less options is better. They try to make it so that one polished experience is what every player gets with minimal deviance, so they know what experience it will be exactly. Also cuts down on QA.

They didn't have to cut Switch/Set from SV but that's probably why.

Anywho, if you want to understand more about game design and why things are the way they are, and this is not easy for everyone — find the target demographic and have them play it. See where they struggle, where they succeed, and what makes them want to play or not play. The LGPE catching mechanic was a huge win for my brother because he did not find the turn-based combat consistent due to his lack of knowledge, and it felt more involved to use physical actions to play.

The last area where more in-depth AI would be cool is the Battle Facilities but let's be honest, it's clear that Game Freak is on their way to kind of just moving past them. Legends Arceus had an update that added one, but LA battle mechanics kinda suck so... And I think the intention of Mastery was more similar to LFPE's post-game 1v1s. The same team made both games after all.

Scarlet/Violet didn't really add one even through DLC.

If I'm wrong though and that's just an SV moment, then it could maybe be worth developing that AI for it even if it was a niche side feature (that's what Battle Facilities are, the vast majority of players who beat the game will just stop playing or make a new save file), but generally the AI cheating or having hard-coding for specific strategies is probably a way easier solution + on top of the AI having well, good teams.

Long rant to basically say: Nothing is impossible but it's probably more worth the effort to just not do it, or have the AI cheat. AI in general is not usually made to be that complex unless the AI being complex is a major component of the game, and that is not usually the case, and not the case in Pokemon. Usually giving the AI options that are good to use with fewer checks, but usually better results is going to make for better fights for all players.

I'd first suggest them giving enemy AI better Pokemon and stats before trying to do all of that, because it'd probably lead to a much better result.
I think an easier way is too just give them cool strategies that they can imploy that the AI is incouraged to use. something like a priority system, where x is put into the higher bracket and they can only decide between choosing y,z and n if x is completed. Unless of course y, z and n are much more appealing like a certain condition is met. That's say the AI has a tailwind dragonite with extreme speed. The code would be to always click tailwind unless one of these conditions is met by using an OR system. These two conditions would be the tailwind condition is already applied to the AI's side of the field or an opposing mon is in range of an extreme speed kill. These would be broad categories and would prevent any weird scenarios from happening.
We can see this perfectly in The Indigo Disk DLC. IMO, since I used a completely new team, the battles were kinda difficult and you had to have a strategy for most battles. One of them used a trick room team, while another used a Dragon cheer team with stuff like tailwind and rain dance. This was really creative and the reason most battles are so easy for older players is that the attacks are so predictable and boil down to I am going to hit you or I am going to setup with a boosting move. No cool strategies like baton pass are there.
Now, of course, how would new players be accomadated for without implementing a difficulty system (they did it in BW2 in the most bullshit way, you had to complete the story and easy mode was locked to one game while hard mode was locked to another. Plus, the opposing mons were actually not the level they showed, they had the stats of there normal mode despite it saying they were higher leveled. TLDR, it was implemented poorly)? Well, slow introduction of these mechanics. You know how there are gym trainers in the gym? Usually scrubs that you beat up that share the typing and are just more annoying then anything. Well, they can show off the mechanics. Let's say you have a trick room gym. The first gym trainer you have to face could have a carbink, which has both sturdy and trick room. The opponent could attack the carbink and they would set up trick room. The player wouldn't know much because they haven't seen this strategy. But then the carbink would move first, which goes against the normal things. Maybe the trainer would chime out "With Trick Room, the slower pokemon goes first". This would make them realise "Oh, so that's what the move does." (Note, this would be a mid-late game gym and it would all be single battles.) Then they would send in something like a sd greedunt or a spiritomb. The sd greedunt I would be more interested in because it shows how it can make slower mons more deadly, but it still is dealable with by a newer player because its not too powerful. Then the next few opponents would expand on that, like using hatterene or crawdaunt or having multiple users of trick room. This would culminate in the gym leader battle, who would use a doubles trick room team to give them a real challenge as they have to deal with two mons at once.
Idk if I explained it best, but that would be the general ghist. Give the trainers cool strategies, and build the player up to that strategy. It would make it easier for newer players, but older players would still have a challenge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)