Unnecessary & Unjust Exercise of Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too often do I see a non-belligerent frequent user banned for doing something that ruffles a moderator's feathers. The mods should not have the power to arbitrarily assign bans based only upon offenses like "Questioning a mod's decision" or "Calling a moderator gay." I'm not sure if it's Shoddy's moderators or internet moderators as a whole, but they seem to have an extreme case of homophobia. I've seen the following situation unfold multiple times:

Moderator #1: hey mod #2!
Moderator #2: hey mod #1! i luv you bunches :3
shoddier #1: wow, that's kind of homo
shoddier #1 was kicked by Moderator #2.
shoddier #2: gay
shoddier #2 was banned by Moderator #2 for 9 years.

It's an extreme case, of course, but not the most extreme to ever occur, and I hope it gets the point across. All I ask of my moderators is that they be a bit more frugal with banning loyal players who make a joke (considered humorous by the vast majority of the populus, quite likely all excluding the offended moderator). If extreme cases continue to happen relatively regularly, maybe some moderator accountability is in order? Possibly a moderator hierarchy with archmods that can handle absolute power (Aeolus, Colin), peons (here's looking at you, Scofield), and at least one more category between.

Sorry if this isn't coherent, I'm less than sober and fatigued. I'll return tomorrow.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Let me get this straight...if a mod bans a user for using "gay" or "homo" as a faux-insult, the mod's the one with homophobia. Sure. OK. I hope you realise how ridiculous your example sounds when you've sobered up and had a good night's rest.

In case you haven't noticed, the Shoddy chat isn't exactly a symposium full of knowledge and exchange of ideas, plus there's like 5 mods on at a time tops trying to oversee 500-odd users. The mods are already swamped enough as it is and you want to restrict their power? Do you honestly think the mods are what's wrong with Shoddy chat?

If you really think that you have been unjustly oppressed by the moderating class, there's a Shoddy Discipline Appeals Forum around here where you can file a complaint.

Also:
peons (here's looking at you, Scofield)
loling

If you have specific issues with the Smogon server's moderating staff, please post your concerns here with logs. Threads like this one that do not follow the proper process accomplish nothing.

Sometimes mods (used to) kick for really dumb reasons, but this isn't one of them, tbh. Of course threads like this aren't necessarily supposed to accomplish anything, but there IS a clearly labelled appeals forum for alleged Shoddy Battle abuses.

If you actually have a proper appeal to make about a specific ban, you're looking for Shoddy Battle Discipline Appeals, which does hold moderators accountable. Since this thread is just an inane complaint about some vague, exaggerated hypothetical situation, I'm going to close this. Keep in mind that in your hypothetical, both #1 and #2 are being pretty immature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)