Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon In-Game Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
How are we tiering SOS chained Salamence/Volcarona? I used one in each of my playthroughs. It never took me more than 40 minutes to find either (Salamence actually only took about 20 encounters to find a bagon and 10 minuets of calling to get Salamence). But I recognize that this could easily take 1-2 hours. If we dock them a tier or two for availability they still destroy the game once you get them.

Volcarona - it’s available in lush jungle after getting machamp shove. So fairly late. But it’ll be much stronger than anything you have at this point. It’s encounter method is the same as Salamence, so it takes a while to find one. Once you get it you can tutor signal beam and giga drain, as well as TM fire blast. It won’t get quiver dance until the move relearner, which really hurts it. It held its own very well for the rest of the game but also doesn’t particularly cheese any of the upcoming totems/fights (apart from ribombee). I won’t go too much into detail until I know whether or not we’re tiering these SOS encounters, but I’d probably put Volcarona in C due to pretty late and rare availability, and lack of reliable stabs until flamethrower/bug buzz via late tm/move relearner.
So I figured I might as well offer the other side since you clearly got stupidly lucky. I decided I wanted to grab a Larvesta a couple days ago, in postgame, and so I went looking for one. I spent a bit over six hours of almost constant encounters without a single Larvesta before giving up and GTSing a Celesteela for one. And that was to encounter the base 1% mon.

I also tried for Salamence in one of my SM runs, and although there it only took me maybe an hour or so to find a Bagon, the first one struggled itself to death so I took notes on how many PP had been used the second time. As far as I can tell, the second Bagon Battle lasted for 756 turns before Salamence showed up.

Finding these Pokémon is not easy at all, and honestly speaking I think these things deserve RSE or DPP Feebas levels of ranking docking - coming down off the Larvesta hunt I can safely say that I’m feeling about the same level of frustration.

Not to mention, Salamence would have a worse rank than it had in SM as Adrenaline Orbs are only available after reaching Akala (and are only purchaseable after beating Kiawe's trial) whereas you could buy them as soon as you beat Ilima's trial in SM, forcing you to backtrack in USUM to get one.

PS: Okay, technically you can get Salamence before getting Adrenaline Orbs, but if you are banking your chances on such a thing, you'd rather start looking if you want to win the lotto given how low the chance is (1% chance of getting Bagon, then 1% of getting Salamence in the first SOS call, which means it's a 0.01% chance to get it without Orbs)

Last edited:
Just a FYI. You can get 5 adrenaline orbs from a girl in pianola ranch by talking to her.
And in Kala'e bay you can find a patch of grass now which you can reach after you get lapras to surf. Bagon has a 10% encounter rate there.

Just a FYI. You can get 5 adrenaline orbs from a girl in pianola ranch by talking to her.
And in Kala'e bay you can find a patch of grass now which you can reach after you get lapras to surf. Bagon has a 10% encounter rate there.
That particular Bagon can only summon Shelgon. Salamence is only a summon Pokémon with Route 3 Bagon.

There's actually a little lore behind the level 3 salamence there, funny enough. Bagons on route 3 who basically fall from their nests forcefully evolve in order to be able to fly back.

Haven’t posted in a bit, but I just finished my second run through of USUM and thought I’d way in on my teams:

Poplio - pretty much agree with this thing’s tiering. In both playthroughs I ran around after getting tauros ride for 10 mins or so to get water/grass/fire pledge for my starter; which greatly lessens the pain of losing early game scald. A

Ralts - Available through island scan on the first island. Didn’t take long to find at all. It gets stab moves pretty early on (in the form of confusion at level 4 and disarming voice at 11), but is sort of stuck with draining kiss until dazzling gleam tm (lack of good fairy stab seems to be a theme in USUM). It gets Calm mind at 24 and psychic via tm or by level up at 30. It can run charge beam and screens via tms, or has decent coverage from signal beam, shock wave, icy wind from tutors. Outside of its coverage and decent level-up Movepool, though, it’s pretty well useless until at least evolving into Kirlia. It’s simply too weak as a ralts compared to even Mr. Mime or Kadabra around the same point. It can’t take a hit at all. Kirlia did decently against Totem Araquanid and even evolved into Gardevoir just before Olivia. It was able to set up a couple calm minds against anorith and psychic its way through the whole fight (it doesn’t take a rockium Z very well without a reflect up, though). It does decently throughout the mid-late game but it’s physical bulk and not overly high speed stat hold it back from sweeping and taking the plethora of neutral dark/bug hits. Mine also often got knocked out by team skull poison things if it didn’t outspeed. Doesn’t do anything against Marowak, togedamaru or Mimikyu. It’s a toss-up for Kommo-O (it has flash cannon, which mine took and returned an OHKO with a +1 draining kiss). Didn’t use it against Necrozma but I don’t think it could take any hit without x items, so that’s a no go. Does decently in the E-4, but overall I wasn’t as impressed by it as in previous games. C+

Murkrow - this guy did great for me. He hits very hard early game, gets access to the lovely flyinium Z and once you get the scope lens he’ll crit a ton. His speed tier is great right up until mid/late game, but he won’t take hits too well. He can go mixed too, which is okay for a icy wind (via tutor) or tms like calm mind, psychic, shadow ball. I also found Psych Up to be occasionally useful for Totems who boosted their stats. He really starts to fall off late game if you don’t get the dusk stone ASAP from poke Pelago. I got mine around the electric trial and found honchkrow actually took hits pretty well with his decent hp stat. He still outspeeds some things but definitely misses murkrow’s speed tier. Once you get access to night slash you’ll be constantly hitting crits and 105 BP neutral hits that ignore stat changes are nothing to laugh at coming off honchkrow’s great attack. He did great in quite a few trials (Normal trial, Hala, Araquanid, Lurantis, Marowak, even Kommo-O) but suffers pretty hard in a few as well (togedemaru, mimikyu, ribombee, Olivia). Overall he performed very well as both a murkrow and a honchkrow. I’d put it in B

How are we tiering SOS chained Salamence/Volcarona? I used one in each of my playthroughs. It never took me more than 40 minutes to find either (Salamence actually only took about 20 encounters to find a bagon and 10 minuets of calling to get Salamence). But I recognize that this could easily take 1-2 hours. If we dock them a tier or two for availability they still destroy the game once you get them.

Salamence - Very low availability, with a 1% chance to be called by Bagon on route 3, which also has a 1% encounter rate to begin with. You can’t have bagon call for Salamence until you get adrenaline orbs (which is after the third trial, but I traded a few over from Ultra Sun via gts after the first trial). Assuming you wait until after Kiawe for adrenaline orbs I’ll say it’s early/mid game availability. It has to use dragon breath/bite/brick break/rock tomb for a while, as it doesn’t get a flying move until aerial ace on the second island. It can use iron tail and aqua tail from tutors, but it’s probably better off without them. Intimidate is absolutely increadibly useful in game. I won’t go too much more into detail just in case we don’t tier these, but this thing never ever suffered in game and was by far my team’s power house from the end of the first island all the way to the E-4. It outspeeds and wrecks everything. Assuming we dock it a tier or two for availability I’d put it in - A/B

Volcarona - it’s available in lush jungle after getting machamp shove. So fairly late. But it’ll be much stronger than anything you have at this point. It’s encounter method is the same as Salamence, so it takes a while to find one. Once you get it you can tutor signal beam and giga drain, as well as TM fire blast. It won’t get quiver dance until the move relearner, which really hurts it. It held its own very well for the rest of the game but also doesn’t particularly cheese any of the upcoming totems/fights (apart from ribombee). I won’t go too much into detail until I know whether or not we’re tiering these SOS encounters, but I’d probably put Volcarona in C due to pretty late and rare availability, and lack of reliable stabs until flamethrower/bug buzz via late tm/move relearner.

I also used Mawile and didn’t find it nearly as good as this list suggests. It does have access to intimidate and okay power for early game but it doesn’t take special hits very well and gets nothing for decent stab until iron head. I dumped mine for a klefki at thrifty megamart (which was absolutely invaluable thanks to prankster). It just missed out on quite a few KO’s. I often used mine to heal up my other team members, which was useful but could probably have been done by any steel type. I’d put it in C+/B

I’ll post about a few more of my team members when I have time in the next few days.
The problem with SOS encounters is they are not efficient at all, especially in the case of Salamence. Needing to sit there and wait for at least half an hour or more just to find a 1% encounter, and THEN to sit there even longer killing Bagon after Bagon in the hopes that it will summon a Mence that you MIGHT capture through its 45 catch rate, and backtrack to that place in the first place, eats up valuable time and resources that would be better spent just plowing on ahead in the game. Mence as well has an... OKAY run, but its movepool really flounders until it gets Dragon Claw on island 3, and Fly at that same place. Until then, you're stuck with EMBER as your best move against Totem Lurantis, who can just sit back and bank on Kecleon spamming Ancient Power on you to knock Mence out. Also its run against Totem Araquarid and Totem Marowak are average at best (Former has Aurora Beam to murder you, latter hits you hard with toxic boosted Hexes), and Olivia's rock types are hitting you harder than Bulldoze will hit them. Togedemaru is a bit of a coin toss since it WILL spam flinching moves on you, Mimikyu is NO, Nanu is annoying for Mence to handle... and from there on, it's just bad matchup after bad matchup for Salamence, who's best bet is spamming Z Fly, and praying it doesn't get one shot by the ice/dragon/fairy/rock move of the day. The effort taken to grab a Mence and go off with it just is not worth it, especially with how mean the game is toward it. Putting it in C at highest seems to be a better call, though I would not be surprised if it drops down with Bagon to D.

Also a correction on Ralts: It's an island 2 mon available right before it evolves, and its egg move means no Confusion, so it needs to be babied more than usual before it gets Psychic either via level up or Aether Paradise.

For the two most coveted rare SOS evolution counters (Salamence and Volcarona), I think they should D and E ranked respectively. As Merritt said, the chances of them spawning from an SOS encounter is laughably low, and they’re only summonable from already rare Pokemon like Bagon. Plus, in the cases of the two 'mons that are being discussed above, even if you do manage to score them, the timing at which you get them hampers their viability. You get Adrenaline Orbs close to the end of Akkala Island, making it somewhat tedious to backtrack back to Melemele, spend half an hour looking for a Bagon, spend half a day hoping for it to summon Salamence, and then grinding said Salamence so it can catch up to your current party. Volcarona has a very similar problem; by the time that you’re able to access the cave that Larvesta is located in, you should probably have a full party, and that’s not factoring in the tedium that is getting a Larvesta to actually call its evolution.
Also, as I was typing this Giratina made a very good point about Salamence; its starting movepool is an absolute joke. Not only that, Dragon in general isn’t a very good type in USUM, where other Dragons are rare and Fairy types are practically coming out of the region's ass.

For the two most coveted rare SOS evolution counters (Salamence and Volcarona), I think they should D and E ranked respectively. As Merritt said, the chances of them spawning from an SOS encounter is laughably low, and they’re only summonable from already rare Pokemon like Bagon. Plus, in the cases of the two 'mons that are being discussed above, even if you do manage to score them, the timing at which you get them hampers their viability. You get Adrenaline Orbs close to the end of Akkala Island, making it somewhat tedious to backtrack back to Melemele, spend half an hour looking for a Bagon, spend half a day hoping for it to summon Salamence, and then grinding said Salamence so it can catch up to your current party. Volcarona has a very similar problem; by the time that you’re able to access the cave that Larvesta is located in, you should probably have a full party, and that’s not factoring in the tedium that is getting a Larvesta to actually call its evolution.
Also, as I was typing this Giratina made a very good point about Salamence; its starting movepool is an absolute joke. Not only that, Dragon in general isn’t a very good type in USUM, where other Dragons are rare and Fairy types are practically coming out of the region's ass.
This is true. In SM I spent probably 4 hours SOS chaining for a Salamence after the first trial and I don’t think I even kept it for the whole game.

I did however find ‘Mence to be quite the nuke. And it survived Araquanid’s Aurora Beam handily. Intimidate is such a boon in game for majority of rock type attacks.
The problem with SOS encounters is they are not efficient at all, especially in the case of Salamence. Needing to sit there and wait for at least half an hour or more just to find a 1% encounter, and THEN to sit there even longer killing Bagon after Bagon in the hopes that it will summon a Mence that you MIGHT capture through its 45 catch rate, and backtrack to that place in the first place, eats up valuable time and resources that would be better spent just plowing on ahead in the game. Mence as well has an... OKAY run, but its movepool really flounders until it gets Dragon Claw on island 3, and Fly at that same place. Until then, you're stuck with EMBER as your best move against Totem Lurantis, who can just sit back and bank on Kecleon spamming Ancient Power on you to knock Mence out. Also its run against Totem Araquarid and Totem Marowak are average at best (Former has Aurora Beam to murder you, latter hits you hard with toxic boosted Hexes), and Olivia's rock types are hitting you harder than Bulldoze will hit them. Togedemaru is a bit of a coin toss since it WILL spam flinching moves on you, Mimikyu is NO, Nanu is annoying for Mence to handle... and from there on, it's just bad matchup after bad matchup for Salamence, who's best bet is spamming Z Fly, and praying it doesn't get one shot by the ice/dragon/fairy/rock move of the day. The effort taken to grab a Mence and go off with it just is not worth it, especially with how mean the game is toward it. Putting it in C at highest seems to be a better call, though I would not be surprised if it drops down with Bagon to D.

Also a correction on Ralts: It's an island 2 mon available right before it evolves, and its egg move means no Confusion, so it needs to be babied more than usual before it gets Psychic either via level up or Aether Paradise.
There’s really not any trouble catching the low level Salamence. A couple great balls after some false swipes (which you would be using to SOS chain anyways) and it’ll be caught.

Even with flinching moves, togedemaru is a breeze for any semi-bulky mon with a ground move. Intimidate helps of course.

Also thanks, edited my write up to account for loss of confusion. I remembered having confusion but I must be remembering wrong.

Regardless, Volcarona is pretty late game and requires a huge time sink to fill a slot for a fire type that you probably already had something for. So I can see it going D. But it really does carry its weight once caught, and the time to catch it (at least in my case) was far far less than the amount of time to grind it up to evolution.

hi all! not too much of an active poster around here but i've been watching this thread for my own teambuilding purposes and if it hasn't already been properly discussed, i'd love to add my two cents on cottonee/whimsicott.

she's as early in game as melemele meadow, and although her stats aren't anything spectacular bar speed (a measly 40/27/60/37/50/66 as cottonee, 60/67/86/77/75/116 as whimsicott) her niche definitely lies in prankster, giving priority on status moves. prankster is a valuable ability in usum as a whole, but in terms of availability with the other two who have it in game (sableye is an sos and klefki isn't available until ulaula, iirc?) cottonee definitely comes out on top, not to mention the variety of status moves that whimsicott packs is amazingly annoying (want to slap on a free status condition for that one boss fight? toxic. slow your opponent down? cotton spore. raise your defense three damn stages? cotton guard. make those 67/77 offensive stats usable? growth, and so forth.). not to mention early access to giga drain through the move tutors.

all in all, she's a very fun team member, but i'd rank her around C (B- would be being extremely generous) as the first sun stone isn't until blush mountain unless you can somehow manage to get one through pelago, plus cottonee isn't exactly the strongest team member to have around until that point. if you can bear it, however, the two are super cute and entertaining pokemon to use if you're in need of some extra support, or need a grass type or fairy around.

edit: oops. as it turns out, i've been unaware that the cotton line is actually an ultra sun exclusive, so please take that into consideration as well!! any further feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:
hi all! not too much of an active poster around here but i've been watching this thread for my own teambuilding purposes and if it hasn't already been properly discussed, i'd love to add my two cents on cottonee/whimsicott.

she's as early in game as melemele meadow, and although her stats aren't anything spectacular bar speed (a measly 40/27/60/37/50/66 as cottonee, 60/67/86/77/75/116 as whimsicott) the most important niche definitely lies in prankster, giving priority on status moves. i believe that prankster is a valuable ability in usum as a whole, but in terms of availability with the other two who have it in game (sableye is an sos and klefki isn't available until ulaula, iirc?) cottonee definitely comes out on top, not to mention the variety of status moves that whimsicott packs is amazingly annoying (want to slap on a free status condition for that one boss fight? toxic. slow your opponent down? cotton spore. raise your defense three damn stages? cotton guard. make those 67/77 offensive stats usable? growth. and the list goes on). not to mention early access to giga drain through the move tutors.

all in all, she's a very fun team member, but i'd rank her around C (B- would be extremely generous) as the first sun stone isn't until blush mountain unless you can somehow manage to get one through pelago, plus cottonee isn't exactly the strongest team member to have around until that point. if you can bear it, however, the two are super cute and entertaining pokemon to use if you're in need of some extra support, or need a grass type or fairy around.

edit: oops. as it turns out, i've been unaware that the cotton line is actually an ultra sun exclusive, so please take that into consideration as well!! any further feedback is appreciated.
Prankster is absolutely invaluable in USUM. Unaware is also amazing for all the totems, but I don’t think any pokes in the main game have access to it aside from perhaps sos chaining cleffa (which you’d probably have to keep as a clefairy until level 46 for moonblast anyways, missing most of the main things it’d be useful for). I’ll do a write-up for the klefki and a couple more mons that I used after work tonight. Did cottonee not suffer from the plethora of poison types you have to deal with? I think I may try her out in my next run :)

Prankster is absolutely invaluable in USUM. Unaware is also amazing for all the totems, but I don’t think any pokes in the main game have access to it aside from perhaps sos chaining cleffa (which you’d probably have to keep as a clefairy until level 46 for moonblast anyways, missing most of the main things it’d be useful for). I’ll do a write-up for the klefki and a couple more mons that I used after work tonight. Did cottonee not suffer from the plethora of poison types you have to deal with? I think I may try her out in my next run :)
just double checked- it seems that pyukumuku and clefable both run unaware, but with the former having practically no offensive presence whatsoever, clef would end up being the best bet for that strategy despite the lack of moonblast for a while. so in short, not too much going on with either. would love to try to use her as well on my next run anyways as i'm totally partial to fairies, plus that movepool is absurd to begin with.

but to answer your question, poison unfortunately did end up being a bit of a problem, similar to how there's a crazy abundance of bug/dark coverage moves in the second half of the game! :( basically, don't even think about battling plumeria/poipole/literally any muk etc. with her, unless you really really want to sneak in some sort of buff for whatever reason. on the other hand, that's totally where klefki is blessed because despite the late availability, it has the very immunity to possibly cottonee's biggest weakness and drawback. luckily, i did have both steel and ground types to cover which is basically a must in this case, but i suppose that in the end choosing between klefki and cottonee really comes down to what types you need on your team (i already had a magnemite by that point and it's solid as hell as literally everyone else has mentioned) and whether having to wait until the ghost trial is a dealbreaker.

Just mentioning that tecnically Cottonee/Whimsicott can learn Psychic (which you get the TM for decently early) so TECNICALLY you can fight poison types that aren't bulky.

Re: Salandit: It's probably most efficient (in Ultra Sun, in Ultra Moon probably just use the Totem) to catch an SOS Salazzle (unless you luck out on a female Salandit first try). From my experience, SOS Salazzles are just as common as female Salandits (assuming no Male Sylveon shenanigans). Granted this is from a sample size of 3/20 (I accidentally killed two Salazzles lol), so maybe I just got really lucky. (Interestingly enough, I ran into zero female Salandits; maybe they all get replaced by Salazzles? Even better if so) I got my Salazzle in less than 20 minutes with the two screwups, so most people should get one in like 10-15. The only real downside is that Salandit has Ember/Smog/Dragon Rage so the SOS drains your healing supplies. Salazzle requires no babying from the moment you get it (mine was able to outspeed and 2HKO Totem Marowak, and two of Olivia's Pokemon are doable) and dominates a large portion of the game from when you catch it. The extra bulk helps survive stray hits early on, which is helpful for before level 24 (mine survived a Diglett's Bulldoze, for reference).

I'm nearing the end of Ula'Ula right now and it's looking at least B. The availability bit reminds me of Kadabra from earlier generations, where it took a while for you to get it but once you get it it's amazing.

I agree with the notion that Bounsweet should go to Mid-Low A. This thing is so worth babying, because it’s arguably one of the best in-game Grass-types you can ask for. I used it in Moon, and while she was a relatively solid party member for me, her scarce movepool really hindered her, with Trop Kick being a mediocre STAB move and High Jump Kick being her only real coverage. Come my Ultra Sun playthrough, I abandoned the absolutely abysmal Leafeon for another Tsareena (caught as a Steenee), and once she got all tutored up, she proved to be an excellent heavy-hitter with solid bulk.
These updated versions were pretty kind to Tsareena. Tutors in particular gave her lots of neat new tools. In Ula'ula, she gets Seed Bomb as an improved STAB as well as Zen Headbutt to deal with the abundant Poison type. And on the island before that, she gets Low Kick for better Fighting coverage before HJK. Finally, at level 53, she’ll get the very powerful Power Whip. Do be wary with this attack though, as the RNG will screw you over 90% of the time with PW's iffy accuracy.
Of course, Tsareena still carries her flaws over from the previous versions. She technically doesn’t evolve until level 29, and her previous two stages are absolute jokes. In other words, prepare for a lot of babying. 72 speed is also pretty middling, causing you to get outsped by a good handful of common Poison- and Fire-types. Finally, mono-Grass is a pretty mediocre typing overall. While the Water resistance is a great boon, you also have a large amount of weaknesses, with special mentions going to Fire and Poison.
Overall though, I definitely think Tsareena is worth using if you need a solid Grass-type, especially if said Grass should be physical.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Here are newly nominated Pokémon with multiple votes. I will add them to the OP shortly.

A
Bounsweet
Gastly
Litten
Zubat

B
Abra
Cutiefly
Dewpider
Feebas

Furfrou
Grubbin
Mareep
Mawile
Necrozma
Pikipek
Salandit
Smoochum

C
Bagon
Beldum
Sandyghast
Zorua

D
Larvesta

E
Poipole

Rufflet - ED
Roggenrola - A
Eevee (Jolteon) - AA
Remoraid - BC
Flabebe - CE
Honedge - B
Xurkitree - CD
Pichu - B
Fomantis - DE
Houndour - BD
Nihilego - C
Slowpoke - E
Sandile - C
Mareanie - CC
Mimikyu - AB
Amaura - CD
Snorunt - DE
Chinchou - CD
Electrike - C
Castform - E
Fletchinder - C
Swinub - C
Lileep - DD
Palkia - BC
Dialgia - BC
Barboach - BC
Vulpix - CB
Absol - D
Gible - D
Charmander - C
Mantine - CD
Buneary - C
Stufful - A
Treeko - CB
Corsola - DE
Skrelp - D
Clauncher - D
Mime Jr - B
Togedemaru - A
Tyrunt - B
Wingull - A
Morelull - C
Sandshrew - B
Turtonator - CD
Happiny - C
Partner Pikachu - C
Kabuto - D
Umbreon - E
Ralts - C
Cottonee - C

---
As you can probably see, B is pretty big, so we will either have to relocate some PKMN or create a sub-tier.

Last edited:

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
My current opinion on the above:
Bounsweet is too high; I think it should be B.
Abra and Gastly should probably be in the same tier.

Still figuring out if I want to rank wormhole Pokémon. I'd like to hear thoughts.

Wormhole Pokémon make sense to rank since you can get them before the league and unlike ORAS, they actually come at good levels. I'd at the very least rank the Ultra Beasts; it seems madness not to rank Nihilego, Xurkitree and Buzzwole/Pheromosa since they're so easy to get. All the non-legendary non-ultra beast Pokémon should probably get a rank too as they're easy to run into if not easily controllable.

Any Legendaries though, for fairly obvious reasons, I would either rank E or just not bother at all.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Still figuring out if I want to rank wormhole Pokémon. I'd like to hear thoughts.
Going from what ORAS did, probably not. It'll definitely inflate the list with a crapton of mons but the wormhole legendaries are really good despite how late they are. Matching champion ace level and technically coming before Necrozma fight (although in practice getting them that early is hard) is a good pokemon.

Because of sheer sameness though (it'd add some 50 odd pokemon to the list all around three similar rankings - most non legends from wormholes, the lesser legendaries from wormholes and good non-legends, and the good legendaries), I'd say probably don't rank them but in the actual list note that they're certainly useful.

I have to disagree with Kurona - getting a tier 4 Wormhole isn't that unlikely given a couple runs after Ultra Necrozma, and the majority of legends are better than the ultra beasts.

Here are newly nominated Pokémon with multiple votes. I will add them to the OP shortly.

A
Bounsweet
Gastly
Litten
Zubat

B
Abra
Cutiefly
Dewpider
Feebas

Furfrou
Grubbin
Mareep
Mawile
Murkrow
Necrozma
Pikipek
Salandit
Smoochum

C
Bagon
Beldum
Sandyghast
Zorua

D
Larvesta

E
Poipole

Rufflet - ED
Roggenrola - A
Eevee (Jolteon) - AA
Remoraid - BC
Flabebe - CE
Honedge - B
Xurkitree - CD
Pichu - B
Fomantis - DE
Houndour - BD
Nihilego - C
Slowpoke - E
Sandile - C
Mareanie - CC
Mimikyu - AB
Amaura - CD
Snorunt - DE
Chinchou - CD
Electrike - C
Castform - E
Fletchinder - C
Swinub - C
Lileep - DD
Palkia - BC
Dialgia - BC
Barboach - BC
Vulpix - CB
Absol - D
Gible - D
Charmander - C
Mantine - CD
Buneary - C
Stufful - A
Treeko - CB
Corsola - DE
Skrelp - D
Clauncher - D
Mime Jr - B
Togedemaru - A
Tyrunt - B
Wingull - A
Morelull - C
Sandshrew - B
Turtonator - CD
Happiny - C
Partner Pikachu - C
Kabuto - D
Umbreon - E
Ralts - C
Cottonee - C

---
As you can probably see, B is pretty big, so we will either have to relocate some PKMN or create a sub-tier.
I'm surprised Castform isn't just automatically tossed into the lowest tier possible for the games it can be found in. It only appears as a possible SOS call in weather and its stats just aren't good enough for when it's encountered. There is practically no reason to use it.

As for wormhole Pokemon, I honestly don't think they should be ranked. Sure, they come around the time of the Ultra Necrozma fight and before Mina's trial, and at decent levels, but there's just so few important battles left for them to participate in and only the Ultra Beasts may have the raw stats to make it worthwhile. Even then, it's an annoying time-sink if the goal is an efficient run. (and the wormhole legendary Pokemon are a definite no since they take even longer to find)

I think the Wormhole legendaries and Ultra Beasts should be ranked. While the former are rather difficult to get until you get the hang on the controls, they are in a position similar to Emerald Rayquaza (cover legendary that is caught at a higher level than the final main story battle), except weaker; not more than B IMO. The Ultra Beasts are easier to get but weaker overall, and they could get in the same rank.

I can see Pokemon such as Groudon or Kartana being close to at a higher rank than the rest of Wormhole 'mons, given the Red Orb being purchaseable at a hilariously low amount, and Kartana's solid level-up movepool and typing (and low amount of special attackers that can take it in the Elite Four or Hau's team). One could make a case about Rayquaza but you'd need trading for it to spawn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)