Announcement Ubers Classic I ~ Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing art by. NicoReaper ╰(⌒▽⌒╰)

Welcome, everyone, to the first Ubers Classic!
This will be the second in the annual Ubers Tour Circuit, and will take place in the Circuit Tournaments subforum. The Ubers Classic rivisits the old gens of Ubers, and gives you a chance to earn the Ubers Tour Winner banner. The players who make playoffs also get points for the Smogon Championship.​

The format for this tournament should be familiar to anyone who has ever played in Smogon Classic or Grand Slam. There will be three single elimination tournaments: the BW Ubers Cup, the DPP Ubers Cup, and the ADV Ubers Cup. Each participant will earn points according to their progress in each Cup (the point system is same as Grand Slam). After all three Cups finish, the top 8 players with the most points advance to the playoffs. In the playoffs, the players will battle in a best-of-five consisting of all three generations till we have an undisputed Ubers Classic Champion.

The signups for each Cup will be one week apart. The hosts are allowed to play in their respective Cups as long as they elect someone else to make the pairings. Here is the list of the Cups, along with their respective hosts, and the dates on which the signups will be posted.​
Use this thread for posting predictions, general discussion, or for asking any questions you may have regarding the tournament.

STANDINGS

Good Luck Everybody! :afrostar:

Last edited:

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
yeah. we should probably just axe bw and dpp while we're at it, too. a tour with only rby/gsc/adv ubers seems like it'd attract the obviously gigantic hidden mass of new players who adore freeze spam and metagames with only 2 viable teams.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Here's an attempt at a satisfactory and acceptable explanation for the exclusion of ORAS.

The hosting team (Ari, Lacus, and me) had a majority vote for not having ORAS (Lacus was neutral, Ari and I voted against). The people that approved Classic in the first place: Fireburn, Hack, and Nayrz were also against having ORAS in Classic, so we had zero conflict.

To try and explain the reasons for our opinions:
  • We were set on ADV, DPP, and BW cos they actually have the old gen vibe to them. Adding ORAS Cup doesn't cause a problem in itself, but in playoffs we would have to do something funky with the 4 gens that we have. Having the higher seed eliminate a gen to make it Bo3, or add one of the gens again on random to make it Bo5 were the two options, and we liked neither.
  • ORAS isn't even a year old yet, being still quite fresh and without the "old gen vibe", so we all felt fine not having it in the Classic. The main purpose of Classic is to draw attention to the older gens that aren't played much now, get new players interested in them, and maybe redevelop and rediscover the meta. ORAS is still pretty fresh, and in no need of drawing people towards it.
  • Some people pointed out we could have added GSC to make it a total of 5, or replaced ADV to have DPP-BW-ORAS. For the former, I was open to consider it if adequate resources could be made available+interest was shown by the players. While Hack and co did come up with a handy resource section, in the subforum tour that I'm hosting, there have been plenty of inactive games that led me to believe GSC just won't work. Even with the added bonus of being an official tour, and providing points for both the Classic playoffs and Smogon Championship, I doubted(and still have no reason to believe otherwise) that GSC Cup will have sufficient quantity and quality. As for doing DPP-BW-ORAS, all of us were simply against it because, as said earlier, we didn't mind so much not having ORAS in the Classic, and ADV is widely accepted as a very fun Ubers gen and we just weren't willing to remove it.
Next year, ORAS will definitely be in Classic, and we'll add one of GSC or SM to make it five(preferably GSC cos older, but only if people actually play it and there's interest). I know many players are upset that ORAS isn't in Classic, but please understand we had very good reasons for its exclusion.

I hope everyone has neutral luck and much fun in Classic!

i wish everyone luck in the classics. adv ubers interest me so ill be joining to test the waters. i will try to go far so whoever faces me bring their best. p.s: everyone pls have fun and remember hax is apart of the game so don't kill your opponent thanks :3.

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
I think XY should be considered as a stand-alone option in the future. I'd bet that a large percentage of players participating in this tour weren't around when XY was the current metagame, and the XY to ORAS mid-generation transition changed so many things that the two cannot be considered as the same tier.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Spreadsheet for checking points and bragging rights: http://spo.ink/ubersclassic
Red means player can't get any more points in respective cup(due to elimination or never having joined it). If you find any mistakes, please VM me and I'll get back to you ASAP. Refer this to check how many points you should have (some of you may have won a round but not have the corresponding points, that is because I'm waiting for the respective host to add the win to the OP).

Requesting Arii Stella to add it to the OP.

I think XY should be considered as a stand-alone option in the future. I'd bet that a large percentage of players participating in this tour weren't around when XY was the current metagame, and the XY to ORAS mid-generation transition changed so many things that the two cannot be considered as the same tier.
I also think XY Ubers should be considered a thing. The Primals drastically changed the metagame when they were introduced in ORAS, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a team without Primal Groudon on it. Weather teams could see some usage in Gen 6 again with the absence of the Primals. Other ORAS staples such as Mega Mence, Mega Sableye, and Mega Diancie don't make appearances either, which leaves room for other Megas like Kangaskhan and Blaziken to shine.

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
in addition to bo5, it would be cool if playoffs players could counterpick oras as a tier to play. there was (is?) a lot of demand for it, it would add more variety to the games for spectators, and it would alleviate the need to build new teams for one or two games. this last reason takes stress off players, because everyone's oras teams are effectively hidden post-replay crash. it could also serve as a bit of a trial run to determine whether or not the tier's worth including in next year's classic (but it totally is).

e: to clarify: what i have in mind is there being a bo3 of adv/dpp/bw, and then for the 4th game the player with the higher seed picks a tier out of adv/dpp/bw/oras to play. for the 5th game, the player with the lower seed picks a tier out of adv/dpp/bw/oras.

Last edited:

SparksBlade

Community Leader
Requesting bo5 in playoffs (counterpicking 2 games after bo3 bw dpp adv if you will)

The gap between 1-8 seed is too narrow to let bo3 decide a fair winner

Also everyone who makes playoffs probably want to play more games
All of us agreed to it so we'll make the change.

The playoffs will now be a Bo5, in which the first 3 games must be ADV DPP BW (order not necessary). A generation may only be picked a second time if all others have been played in at least once. No generation may be picked more than twice.

in addition to bo5, it would be cool if playoffs players could counterpick oras as a tier to play. there was (is?) a lot of demand for it, it would add more variety to the games for spectators, and it would alleviate the need to build new teams for one or two games. this last reason takes stress off players, because everyone's oras teams are effectively hidden post-replay crash. it could also serve as a bit of a trial run to determine whether or not the tier's worth including in next year's classic (but it totally is).

e: to clarify: what i have in mind is there being a bo3 of adv/dpp/bw, and then for the 4th game the player with the higher seed picks a tier out of adv/dpp/bw/oras to play. for the 5th game, the player with the lower seed picks a tier out of adv/dpp/bw/oras.
We can't include ORAS in playoffs when it wasn't a Cup tournament in the Classic, and the reasons for not having ORAS have already been highlighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)