Type: Null, Silvally Discussion

Silvally might be the premiere Dark type for VGC '17 with so many Dark types being absent from the Alola Pokedex. STAB Snarl lol
I think Alolan Persian might have it beat there. Fake Out, better speed, Technician Snarl, maybe Fur Coat? Although Silvally has a better movepool in other respects.

I was thinking more about Silvally today at work, and I thought a lot about what conditions would be like after release and before the Bank opens in January. There has already been a lot of talk about Terrain Wars and Weather Wars coming back, and in this respect Silvally could really play an important role in the conflict. So, I focused on this role, thought about the warriors, and decided on the following move set:

Kratos (Silvally) @ Poison Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Parting Shot
- Thunderbolt
- Surf, Flamethrower, Hail, Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Sandstorm, Explosion

Let's face it; the Tapus are going to be the major Terrain setters of the game and each constitutes a significant threat on their own. Fortunately, they all share the Fairy-type, and there is one STAB Silvally gets with super-effective damage on them all: Poison. Not only that, but poor Bulu is doubly weak.

Among its fellow Poison-types it also excels. Ariados, Muk, Toxapex, and Garbodor are all slower. Tentacruel, Crobat, and Salazzle all out speed, but none of them hit as physically hard as Silvally. Crobat has lower physical attack and weaker physical poison attacks. Salazzle and Tentacruel are specially oriented with the great Sludge Wave and Sludge Bomb, but the greatest threat, Tapu Lele, is specially defensive.

The only advantage the others have is versus Tapu Lele. Silvally and Lele effectively speed tie, and if Lele is running a Choice Scarf you will be outsped and killed. Muk walls Lele with its amazing typing and thus makes up for its terrible speed, and both Salazzle and Crobat have a much better chance to outspeed.

The main strategy of this set is as a lead in Doubles, but could work in Singles as well. The idea is to kill a Tapu with Multi-Attack or Weather Setter with coverage, perhaps set up weather for your own team, and then Parting Shot out to set up for your own Tapu or weather sweeper. Poison Multi-Attack also works well at taking down Alolan Ninetales, and Thunderbolt works well for Pelliper and this generation's powerful Water/Bug types.

If you want to finish your Weather-setter coverage, bring Surf for Torkoal and Gigalith, or Flamethrower for Vanilluxe and other threats (Bewear, Steel-types). In weather teams though you may want to bring your own weather to realign the battlefield to your favor. Finally, you might want to bring Explosion to use once Silvally has outlived its role.

EDIT: I should note that Crobat also has an advantage over Silvally against Tapu Koko, who it can potentially outspeed, as well as hit harder than Silvally with a Choice Band or Life Orb Cross Poison.

Last edited:
I was thinking more about Silvally today at work, and I thought a lot about what conditions would be like after release and before the Bank opens in January. There has already been a lot of talk about Terrain Wars and Weather Wars coming back, and in this respect Silvally could really play an important role in the conflict. So, I focused on this role, thought about the warriors, and decided on the following move set:

Kratos (Silvally) @ Poison Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Parting Shot
- Thunderbolt
- Surf, Flamethrower, Hail, Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Sandstorm, Explosion

Let's face it; the Tapus are going to be the major Terrain setters of the game and each constitutes a significant threat on their own. Fortunately, they all share the Fairy-type, and there is one STAB Silvally gets with super-effective damage on them all: Poison. Not only that, but poor Bulu is doubly weak.

Among its fellow Poison-types it also excels. Ariados, Muk, Toxapex, and Garbodor are all slower. Tentacruel, Crobat, and Salazzle all out speed, but none of them hit as physically hard as Silvally. Crobat has lower physical attack and weaker physical poison attacks. Salazzle and Tentacruel are specially oriented with the great Sludge Wave and Sludge Bomb, but the greatest threat, Tapu Lele, is specially defensive.

The only advantage the others have is versus Tapu Lele. Silvally and Lele effectively speed tie, and if Lele is running a Choice Scarf you will be outsped and killed. Muk walls Lele with its amazing typing and thus makes up for its terrible speed, and both Salazzle and Crobat have a much better chance to outspeed.

The main strategy of this set is as a lead in Doubles, but could work in Singles as well. The idea is to kill a Tapu with Multi-Attack or Weather Setter with coverage, perhaps set up weather for your own team, and then Parting Shot out to set up for your own Tapu or weather sweeper. Poison Multi-Attack also works well at taking down Alolan Ninetales, and Thunderbolt works well for Pelliper and this generation's powerful Water/Bug types.

If you want to finish your Weather-setter coverage, bring Surf for Torkoal and Gigalith, or Flamethrower for Vanilluxe and other threats (Bewear, Steel-types). In weather teams though you may want to bring your own weather to realign the battlefield to your favor. Finally, you might want to bring Explosion to use once Silvally has outlived its role.

EDIT: I should note that Crobat also has an advantage over Silvally against Tapu Koko, who it can potentially outspeed, as well as hit harder than Silvally with a Choice Band or Life Orb Cross Poison.
I like this, I should think of a way to expand on this but for singles

I am really exited got Silvally. I think some of the types are meh (looking at you, Bug) but some really have a niche.you personal favorites are SD Dragon/Fighting/Fairy since it has great coverage moves in Iron Head, Rock Slide and Crunch.

But, I think the most common set we will see in competitive play will be the scarf set. It has revenge killing possibility and 2 pivot options in Parting Shot and U-Turn. Will it be top meta? Idk, but it has potential to be wffective.

Also to my other colorblind friends this is going to be rough for us lol

Rumrunner I swear your post about colorblind and you are not alone lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)