Type C: Losing Winner or Winning Loser? Final [Won (or lost?) by McMeghan]

Approved by Quite Quiet

It is time to change the rules. Everyone goes on to win games, and to follow the best path to victory. Everyone aims to be the GOAT.
Well here, you’ll want to be the WOAT. To win the match, you will have to lose your game. You will have to reverse your thought process to anticipate the best way to lose.

Of course, some rules must be enforced to have an actual game. You won’t be able to bring one Scarf Gengar with Explosion but instead, you will give your opponent the team he’ll use during your game. You’ll also show your opponent how better your team was if you succeed to lose. Double bragging possibility!

General Rules
  • Single Elimination Tour
  • SM OU, bo1.
  • All standard tournament rules apply
  • Matches will be played on either Showdown or SmogTours
  • If a ban/unban happens or a new clause is added at any point during the tournament, it will take effect as soon as the new round starts
  • If your opponent breaks any of the rules, it is up to you to decide whether you would like to take the win or rematch

Tournament Specific Rules
  • Every turn, after you received the match-up, you MUST PM ME the team you want your opponent to use. Teams must have 6 Pokes and Pokes must have 4 moves each. When I have both teams from a match-up, I will send the teams to the respective players and tag you on the thread so you can play. You are of course allowed to decide to keep the same team for the whole tour. Just say so in your first PM if that is the case.
  • You may not switch more than 5 TIMES IN A ROW. Replays are mandatory to check this mostly (and to allow me to work through the confusion of “I won / lost my game”). Replays may be PM'ed if players prefer not to reveal teams.
  • Forfeiting will not count as a loss but as a win, so if you forfeit, your opponent advances. Same thing with a timeout.
  • This will not count for SC, hence the no-banner. I added the "Type C" for the record.

Hassin627 vs McMeghan

(underlined players have submitted their team for opp, those in bold have won their match)

I added a rule about the number of mons and moves you are supposed to use building your opp's team.
Deadline is Monday, December 4th GMT+1 afternoon (cause I wake up early on weekdays and that would leave no Sunday time for american people). Remember to send me the teams for your opponent so I can send them before you play!! Replays are mandatory, but can be sent via PMs (I intend to reveal all replays at the end of the tournament, tell me beforehand if you'd rather keep your games secret).

I'll send teams for match-ups where both players submitted them. If you wish to change it for the round, tell me or send the team if you already built it, but just know that your opp will be allowed to change it as well. That is to make it easier for completed match-ups.
No deadline, just get it done timely, guys, thanks

Have fun and bad luck both.

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
I win this tournament, gg for the final game Hassin.

As a little recap, I had a team ready for this due to the similar ruleset with the old Reverse Tournaments we've had here. I tweaked it because Assault Vest wasn't banned (and it probably should have as it was very broken). Here it is:
Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 40 Def / 40 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rollout
- Ice Ball
- Bide
- Dig

Rollout and Ice Ball lock you into a move that will eventually reach OHKO levels. Bide is great because it locks you in place and you have two turns to attack and switch into what you want to take the attack. Dig is solid since you can either throw a move for free while the opponent is underground or you can switch in a desired target.

Amoonguss (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 Def
Adamant Nature
- Ingrain
- Rollout
- Bide
- Synthesis

Assault Vest to force the user into using Rollout or Bide. Ingrain and Synthesis are good in case you Knock Off the AV for some reason.

Reuniclus (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rollout
- Gravity
- Trick Room
- Rain Dance

See above. I just picked 8 PPs moves as they'd be the faster to PP Wast if you Knock Off the AV.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 140 Def / 80 SpD
Impish Nature
- Dig
- Knock Off
- Sky Attack
- Stealth Rock

Dig and Sky Attack share the same goal (see Swampert). Knock Off removes Leftovers (and you should spend most of your time switching in this tournament). SR for obvious reasons.

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 28 Def / 140 SpD
Impish Nature
- Ingrain
- Rollout
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

LS/Rollout/Spikes seem fairly obvious. Ingrain is amazing because you cannot switch once you use it. If Ferrothorn is locked up in place, you can kill yourself on its Iron Barbs and abuse its set of resistances (+ the Ingrain/Leftovers recovery).

Walrein @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Rollout
- Ice Ball
- Rain Dance
- Toxic

See Swampert/Reuniclus.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-671614467
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-666554895
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-662619299
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-660395880

Congrats McMeghan for being the best loser ever.

Agreed, Assault Vest is broken, and if I want to give this format another try, I'll have to figure out some balance in it.

But in the meantime, I want to thank all players. Good job to everyone, and see you another time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)