Battle Spot Triples Viability Rankings

approved/suggested by cant say
Framework of the thread was taken from someone else who took it from someone else etc etc

Usage stats can be found here
Meta discussion thread can be found here

Battle Spot Triples Viability Rankings
Welcome to the Battle Spot Triples Viability Rankings topic. In this thread, we as a community will rank every single usable Pokemon in the triples metagame into "tiers". You're encouraged to post your thoughts and opinions on the various Pokemon that are usable in triples and what tier they should fall under. The general idea of the topic is to rank each pokemon under "rankings" that go in descending order. Since this is a general tier list, everything is lumped together. There won't be any segregation between offense & defense threats. If you have a good case to add something to a tier, please provide good reasoning and evidence (although same goes for if you want to move something). Keep in mind this is a different format from singles and doubles, do not make nominations based on theorymoning if you don't have experiences with the pokemon in the current meta. Good luck and happy posting!

S Rank
Reserved for the top threats in the Triples metagame. The pokemon in this tier are able to perform multiple roles to tremendous effect, whilst having few to no flaws. Support Pokemon in this tier can easily create free turns for their teammates without creating clear openings for the opponent. Any flaws that these Pokemon have can be taken care of with little to no team support.
Kangaskhan-Mega
Landorus-T
Sylveon

A Rank
Reserved for Pokemon that function very well within the current Triples metagame. The pokemon in this tier are either able to perform multiple roles to great effect, or execute one extremely well. Support pokemon in this tier can create free turns, but not as easily as those in the S Rank.The flaws that the pokemon in this tier may have are usually mitigated by their positive traits, or with minimal team support.
A+

Aegislash
Charizard-Mega Y
Hitmontop
Heatran
Talonflame

A

Amoonguss
Blastoise-Mega
Cresselia

A-

Bisharp
Camerupt-Mega
Gardevoir-Mega
Gengar-Mega
Gothitelle
Hydreigon
Jellicent
Meowstic-M
Politoed
Rotom-Wash
Salamence-Mega
Smeargle
Terrakion
Togekiss
Zapdos

B Rank
Reserved for Pokemon that can fulfill a viable role in the Triples metagame, but are either somewhat outclassed by Pokemon in a higher rank, or have notable flaws that prevent them from filling their role to full extent.The pokemon in this tier are usually predictable, and either require team support to work to it's full potential, or might provide free turns for the opponent. The flaws that the pokemon in this tier have are sometimes mitigated by their positive traits, or can be patched with some team support.
B+

Abomasnow-Mega
Aromatisse
Azumarill
Breloom
Chandelure
Excadrill
Ferrothorn
Gengar
Gyarados-Mega
Gyarados

Hariyama
Kingdra
Ludicolo
Mawile-Mega
Mienshao
Milotic
Rotom-H
Tyranitar
Venusaur
Venusaur-Mega

B

Arcanine
Aerodactyl-Mega
Clefable
Conkeldurr
Greninja
Mamoswine
Metagross-Mega
Rhyperior
Sableye
Scizor
Scrafty
Slowbro
Slowbro-Mega
Suicune
Swampert-Mega
Thundurus
Whimsicott

B-

Aerodactyl
Kecleon
Latias
Porygon2
Thundurus-T
Weavile

C Rank
Reserved for pokemon that can work within the Triples metagame, however, they either have crippling flaws that prevent consistent performance, or require too much specific team support to synergize with most teams. Support Pokemon in this tier have a hard time creating free turns, and often allow the opponent to capitalize on the opportunity to create free turns for themselves. Pokemon that are completely outclassed by those of the upper tiers, may also be placed within this tier.
C+

Abomasnow
Braviary
Cherrim
Clefairy
Crobat
Dragalge
Garchomp
Landorus-I
Latios
Lucario-Mega
Lopunny-Mega
Machamp
Pinsir-Mega
Raikou
Serperior
Tornadus-I
Virizion
Volcarona

C

Blaziken
Charizard-Mega X
Clawitzer
Dusclops
Feraligatr
Gallade-Mega
Garchomp-Mega
Gastrodon
Manectric-Mega
Swampert
Typhlosion

C-

Cofagrigus
Raichu
Rhydon

D Rank
Reserved for Pokemon who do not perform consistent enough to be listed in the above ranks. Many niche Pokemon can be squeezed into Triples teams due to a certain move or ability. Many Pokemon fit here, but none of them have a place in the metagame solid enough to have a special spot on the rankings.
-EVERYTHING ELSE-
But, Triples has a lot of room for interesting strategies that work with very specific pokemon so don't always count out pokemon that aren't in S - C.

Rules

• Post intelligently. Posts like "I think Pokemon X should be in this tier" without giving any reasoning will not be tolerated.
  • Usage statistics may be used to support an argument or a claim, but avoid basing your entire argument around them.
  • No flaming.
  • No one-liners or useless comments.

Last edited:

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is Whimsicott really that low? Not only is there a major tactic based around it, and it's the fastest prankster pokemon and able to use status moves before getting taunted.

Is Whimsicott really that low? Not only is there a major tactic based around it, and it's the fastest prankster pokemon and able to use status moves before getting taunted.
I rarely see it used effectively outside of TerraCott, i can see how it could work on other teams but idrk how i feel about it. It's definitely very good on TerraCott, and terracott is a solid strat, which is why whimsicott is around B range(which i consider somewhat respectable). It's very frail for a support mon and relies on its sash. As a tailwind setter I feel like other setters provide a lot more than whimiscott does, talon and zap have offensive presences, and zap has good bulk. I'd like to hear more about what it does outside of terracott/other people's opinions. And as good as I think terracott is, it shouldn't be ranked very high for how it performs on one specific team type, similar to how trick room pokemon are ranked lower because they only really fit on that one kind of team. I'm not totally opposed to B+, but i think A- is too high. Unless a lot of other people who have used it a lot think it should be higher.

Whimsicott in B range makes total sense to me. B+ could be argued, though, and since that puts it a little closer to Terrakion, maybe that makes more sense. It's greatest problem is, like NOVED said, that it usually comes as part of a TerraCott combo. And while TerraCott can be very threatening (unlike in doubles), it's predictable and absolutely dependent on arranging placement and a number of other elements safely. Any good team is going to have a way to not let it go ham as a lead. And if it's not Beating Up Terrakion, it doesn't offer much in the way or pressure or support outside of Tailwind.

Other thoughts. Catching a little bit more now than I did in PM:

I know I initially suggested Mega Camerupt be moved down, but seeing it in the same tier as Mega Gyarados seems weird. I think it's generally more useful than Mega Abomasnow. Maybe bump it back up to A-? Looking again at the other Pokemon there, it makes more sense. And if Jellicent's there, Camerupt should be too. Hell, it's better than Mawile, and no more restricted by team build.

Normal Abomasnow should go somewhere, as it can provide trouble with either Scarf or Sash. B- or C+?

Mega Mawile actually seems too high. I haven't seen one in forever, and it doesn't offer a ton over other megas. Maybe just do a straight swap with Camerupt and drop it to B+?

Politoed being that high seems weird to me. I know it's in the top 12, but what's the rationale for it being that high? I'm not making hard suggestion it be moved; I'm just curious.

Bisharp feels like A- material at best. It dropped out of the top 12 quite a while ago and isn't really an essential component of any team archetypes (I don't think it shows up in many/any on Choko's blog, for example, which is pretty thorough at covering major archetypes and roles). It's quite frail too. All it really offers is tech against Landorus and Sylveon, which is easily subverted by speed control or redirection, and all kinds of things KO it.

What is the rationale for Zapdos being A rank? My initial reaction is that no way is it as useful as most of the things in A-, but I might be missing something.

Last edited:
Whimsicott in B range makes total sense to me. B+ could be argued, though, and since that puts it a little closer to Terrakion, maybe that makes more sense. It's greatest problem is, like NOVED said, that it usually comes as part of a TerraCott combo. And while TerraCott can be very threatening (unlike in doubles), it's predictable and absolutely dependent on arranging placement and a number of other elements safely. Any good team is going to have a way to not let it go ham as a lead. And if it's not Beating Up Terrakion, it doesn't offer much in the way or pressure or support outside of Tailwind.

Other thoughts. Catching a little bit more now than I did in PM:

I know I initially suggested Mega Camerupt be moved down, but seeing it in the same tier as Mega Gyarados seems weird. I think it's generally more useful than Mega Abomasnow. Maybe bump it back up to A-? Looking again at the other Pokemon there, it makes more sense. And if Jellicent's there, Camerupt should be too. Hell, it's better than Mawile, and no more restricted by team build.

Normal Abomasnow should go somewhere, as it can provide trouble with either Scarf or Sash. B- or C+?

Mega Mawile actually seems too high. I haven't seen one in forever, and it doesn't offer a ton over other megas. Maybe just do a straight swap with Camerupt and drop it to B+?

Politoed being that high seems weird to me. I know it's in the top 12, but what's the rationale for it being that high? I'm not making hard suggestion it be moved; I'm just curious.

Bisharp feels like A- material at best. It dropped out of the top 12 quite a while ago and isn't really an essential component of any team archetypes (I don't think it shows up in many/any on Choko's blog, for example, which is pretty thorough at covering major archetypes and roles). It's quite frail too. All it really offers is tech against Landorus and Sylveon, which is easily subverted by speed control or redirection, and all kinds of things KO it.

What is the rationale for Zapdos being A rank? My initial reaction is that no way is it as useful as most of the things in A-, but I might be missing something.
I pretty much agree with all this. I initially put Zapdos and Poli at A because, I feel like Zapdos is the second best tailwind setter, and electric type is pretty useful, and it has a decent offensive presence plus things like roost and light screen which are cool. But i can see it on A- too since it isn't too amazing. I can see Poli at A- too, had it at A because i think drizzle is a great ability, makes some mons really viable, shuts down some other mons like zard and heatran, and having a weather is really nice in general. But outside of the ability poli isnt that great, so A- would make sense.

And everything else I agree with, since most of the mons you mentioned I was on the fence about where to put them.

Any thoughts on Klefki and Ninetales? They've been in the top 50 in the usage stats last season, and Klefki has a bunch of interesting options in Safeguard, dual screens, Rain Dance, and a Steel/Fairy typing to set it apart from Meowstic-M, while Ninetales provides Drought support, Safeguard, and even Disable which are two moves Charizard can't learn, plus Ninetales allows for a different mega like Salamence or Kangaskhan to be used.

Actually, I don't think I saw Klefki on this list at all... that seems rather inaccurate to me. I believe Klefki and Meowstic-M are pretty similar for example. Klefki has Thunder Wave, Swag Play, Safeguard Swag boosts for partners, even scarfed ones! I definitely think Klefki should be in the same rank, if not close to Meowstic-M in viability.
They are both similar Pokemon, with slightly different stats and methods of offense.

Eh, any reason Tornadus-I is in C+? I have tried it and he does well with priority rain and taunt, although I admit he's mostly counter-strategy and lacks priority attack unlike... Talonflame, making him reliant to speed control. But then Hurricane hits stupidly hard when it hits, while raining.

But his usage is indeed low, though. I'm hoping not many uses actual weather moves and be reliant to weather abilities instead....

Last edited:
I feel Gengar and other Perish Trap users are ranked slightly too low. They should get up to A+ or at least "A". As of the current season, Politoed is more popular than Gengar overall, but that's probably only due to reduced flexibility in teambuilding when you go with Perish Trap. I know I've seen really high-level replays, and they usually have Perish Trap at least on one side, with Gengar leading it.

[Will post them a little later]

I want to nominate Ghost Buddy

for B+ rank. It's currently #44 on the Battle Spot rankings (outclassing, notably, things like Scrafty, Sableye, Rotom-H and Arcanine), and it has a number of tools that allow it to function very well on Trick Room or semi-Trick Room teams. Of note:

It's immune to Fake Out, which is an enormous benefit in this format. It has room for Snatch or Taunt in its moveset, which Jellicent does not (it also takes certain hits better) and it can set up weather for a heavy spread-damage user. It lacks the potential offensive presence of Jellicent, though, and it is predictable, if difficult to deal with.

EDIT -- This thing is everywhere in higher Battle Spot rankings. Have now encountered multiple Japanese users confirming its popularity on Showdown. It's almost always paired with Blastoise, Choice Scarf Smeargle, and Sylveon. The last two team members vary.

The set of choice is:

Taunt/Snatch
Trick Room
Night Shade
Rain Dance/Sunny Day

Other stuff:

It seems absurd that Aromatisse is as high as it is. I nominate it for B- at best (my gut says more like C, but it fits that B-range description; it's just mostly outclassed). It does jack-all except set up Trick Room and Helping Hand, offers none of the benefits setters like Meowstic, Jellicent, Dusclops, Kecleon or even other niche ones do, and every team prepares for it by preparing for Sylveon. I haven't seen it in 50-some games this season, and never saw it in the winter. It's currently #53 in the rankings, above a few things you wouldn't expect, but with many, many other Trick Room-setters above it. It's just too outclassed in its most notable role. Reasons to use it exist, but they'd have to be very specific ones to not look elsewhere for Trick Room.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)