SM UU [Trick Room] Banded Crabominable + Specs Primarina

Clementine

one for the money, two for the show
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
UUPL Champion
Introduction :
Hello everyone! I recently entered the New Meta Tournament [https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-new-meta-tournament.3650355/] in UU and decided to build my own team for this tour. Even though I almost never build my teams from scratch, I thought I would try for this tournament, so I could come up with a cool and efficient team.
I really wanted to use Stakataka in UU, because since the gimmick of the tour is that Scizor, Mega Alt, Latias and Terrak are banned. I wasn't the biggest fan of Trick Room teams before actually building one, but I thought I might give it a try.

Teambuilding :

805MS (1).png

Stakataka @ Rockium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge

- Earthquake

The first member of the team is obviously Stakataka.
Stakataka is one of the best offensive Trick Room setter in the entire game. Its STABs hit really hard, Gyro Ball is pretty much always a 150-BP move thanks to Staks abysmal Speed stat, and Stone Edge is a great move in general, the problem of its shaky accuracy being fixed by Rockium Z. Earthquake is used for coverage, Superpower might be an option to deal with Shuca Berry Empoleon, and deals a bit more damage to Mega Aggron.
The IV/EV spread is the standard Offensive Stakataka one, the 15 Defense IVs and the Lonely nature are made so Stak's Defense is equal to its Attack, boosting the Attack using Beast Boost.

480MS.png

Uxie @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Memento

- U-turn

The next member of the squad will be Uxie. Uxie serves as a lead for the team, setting up a Trick Room and Stealth Rock. Uxie also serves as a Ground immunity for the team thanks to its ability Levitate.
Memento is a great way to safely bring in one of your offensive mons, especially on opposing offensive mons such as Krookodile or Hydreigon. U-Turn is obviously there for switches, useful to break potential Sash from opposing Leads.
The EV spread is there to better take hits, the 116 Defense EV along with a Relaxed nature allow Uxie to take CB Knock Off from Krookodile :

252 Atk Choice Band Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 116+ Def Uxie: 290-344 (81.9 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
And the Special Defense investment helps Uxie take Dark Pulse from Choice Specs Hydreigon :
252 SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 140 SpD Uxie: 272-324 (76.8 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

488MS.png

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight

- Lunar Dance

Another very classic set, Cresselia is another Trick Room setter for the team, also working as a Ground immunity.
Lunar Dance is a useful tool to bring back a weakened offensive member in a pinch, especially since two of them are weak to Stealth Rock. Moonlight is there for recovery, allowing Cresselia to recover some HP in front of Defensive mons and Fighting types who can struggle to hit Cresselia for significant damages. Ice Beam is a coverage option, useful to hit Hippowdon, Gligar, Krookodile and Togekiss if needed, but can be replaced by Moonblast / Psychic.
The EV spread focusing on HP and Defense with a Relaxed nature allow Cress to switch in on physical attackers to set up a Trick Room.
The Mental Herb is there to prevent Taunt from opposing Pokémon, but can be replaced with a Colbur Berry to minimize the damage taken by a Dark-type attack.

730MS.png

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Sparkling Aria
- Moonblast

- Psychic

The next member of the squad is going to be Choice Specs Primarina. Primarina is a fantastic wallbreaker in the UU tier thanks to its high Special Attack and its strong dual STAB.
Hydro Pump is its main STAB move, hitting every mon that doesn't resist it (or that's not named Blissey) for a lot of damage. Sparkling Aria is there to provide a more accurate STAB move in situations where missing Hydro Pump could be dreadful, it can also be used to hit opponents behind a Sub. Scald can also be an option to potentially burn the opponent, but I prefer Aria for its higher BP. Moonblast is a more spammable STAB move, since few Pokemon resist Fairy in the UU tier. And Psychic is there to hit Poison-types like Amoonguss or Tentacruel which resist Prim's dual STAB.
The EV spread is pretty standard, the Quiet nature is there to minimize Speed and to max out Prim's Special Attack.

740MS.png

Crabominable @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
Brave Nature
- Ice Hammer
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

- Earthquake

The next member of the team is Crabominable. Crabominable is a very underrated Pokémon in the UU tier, it doesn't have the best typing defensively but shines with its unique dual STAB and its monstrous Attack Stat, backed up by the Choice Band.
Ice Hammer is boosted by the Iron Fist ability, becoming a 120BP STAB move that no mon wants to switch into. It also lowers Crab's Speed, which may be useful under Trick Room to outspeed a Slower Opponent, like Amoonguss, Steelix Mega or Doublade. Close Combat is a more spammable move, allowing Crabominable to 2HKO mons like Mega Aggron, Hippowdon or Alomomola. Earthquake is there for coverage and to hit Doublade which resists the STAB combo, and Stone Edge is there to deal with Flame Body Moltres if you're scared of being burned.
Once again, the EV spread minimizes Speed to boost its Attack.

105AMS.png

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Bonemerang

Last but certainly not least, we have Alolan Marowak. Alolan Marowak proved itself to be one of the best Trick Room attackers since the beginning of Sun and Moon, having access to Rock Head Flare Blitz and to an actually good Ghost STAB in Shadow Bone.
Flare Blitz is an incredibly strong move that you can click pretty much without any drawback. Thanks to Marowak monstrous Attack Stat with the Thick Club, it can 2HKO threats that resist Fire like Hydreigon or Tentacruel without any boost. Swords Dance is here to boost Marowak's Attack to astronomical levels, but can be replaced by Substitute for a safer option. Shadow Bone is probably the best physical Ghost-type move in the entire game, allowing Wak to OHKO Mega Aero after rocks and to 2HKO the likes of Rotom-Heat. Bonemerang is there as a coverage move, breaking Sturdy and potential Sashes, but can be replaced by Earthquake for better accuracy, or Low Kick for Fighting Coverage.
Once again, the Brave Nature along with the EV spreads give Marowak a great Speed under Trick Room along with a huge Attack stat.

Threatlist :

639MS.png
Terrakion
639MS.png

Terrakion is a huge threat to the team, capable of OHKO every mon that's not Uxie or Cress, but those two can't really do anything back to it. Sub Terrak and ZRock are the two sets that leads to an auto-L if Trick Room is not up. As I said in the introduction, this team was built for a tournament where Terrakion wasn't allowed, so it wasn't a big deal, but this is clearly a threat on the ladder.

468MS.png
Togekiss
468MS.png

If it manages to set up a Nasty Plot and flinch one of your TR setters to death just click x as soon as possible before getting salty. Staks can work as a pseudo check to non-Aurasphere Togekiss, but since the entire team is slower than this monster it's pretty much an auto-L if it sets up.

448MS.png
Priority
212MS.png

Since the team is pretty slow and lacks priority moves, priority users such as Lucario, Scizor or Crawdaunt can easily clean and KO a weakened mon, Lucario is especially threatening for Crab and Stakataka since it can easily beat them with Vacuum Wave.

2nd Impact (Uxie) @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Memento
- U-turn

Hedgehog's Dilemma (Crabominable) @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
Brave Nature
- Ice Hammer
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Eva_01 (Stakataka) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Lonely Nature
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Muscle Museum (Primarina) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Sparkling Aria
- Moonblast
- Psychic

Fly Me To The Moon (Cresselia) @ Mental Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight
- Lunar Dance

Magma Diver (Marowak-Alola) @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Bonemerang

Last edited:

Clementine

one for the money, two for the show
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
UUPL Champion
bump (kind of?)

Updated threatlist

680MS.png
Doublade
680MS.png

Just need to add that Doublade can also be a threat to the team if Primarina and/or Marowak are weakened because if it runs some Defense EVs, EQ from Staks and Crab does not do enough damage to threaten it and it can easily weaken the team at the point where setting up a Trick Room is difficult. Its low speed can also be a problem since it outspeeds everything except Stakataka under Trick Room.

I kinda need some advices to make this team better on the ladder against the likes of Scizor/Terrakion, what would you guys change about it to fix these issues?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)