SM UU TRICK ROOM | #2 | 85.6% GXE

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

An updated version of the team can be found down on "More variations of the team" (the first team on the list).

It all started here: UU Research Week 8; Offensive Trick Room Bronzong.
Built this team around it. I was pretty skeptical about Trick Room but, well, the achievements it got are pretty good if I may say. In my opinion, it is my best team by far.
I am pretty sure most UU members saw me using this team at least once.
I spam this team all the time on the ladder and on room tours, I also used a variation of it against Sacri' in my TDKD tour game for round 4.

This team is really close to me and will always have a special place in my heart (I sound so pathetic lol, it's just a game). As I said, it is my best team by far and the team I enjoy using at most. Trick Room in UU? Honestly, I think I am the only one I saw using it lol. By time I was asked if I could give the team so I said I will RMT the team someday... "Celebrating" the peak, I decided it's finally time to RMT the team.

Proof of Peak
@

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe

• Trick Room sets up Trick Room for your team.
  • Gyro Ball is a pretty useful STAB with a high BP thanks to Bronzong's low speed. It hits Gengar and Hydreigon for respectable damage.
  • Explosion is what you are going to use most of the time, after setting up both Trick Room and Stealth Rock. It deals a lot of damage to everything but resists/immunes.
  • Stealth Rock is... uh... should I really explain this? This is my suicide lead, it might as well have a hazard to set lol.
Bronzong is an interesting choice for a Trick Room lead. It faces competition from the "better" Uxie. To be honest, I have used both, and Bronzong has been working way better than Uxie. Maybe it's just me but oh well, might as well play using what I am good with.

@

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe

• Psychic is your main STAB, hits hard anything but blobs/immunes/resists.
  • Focus Blast is a mandatory coverage to hit Steel and Dark types, both of which usually beat Psychic teams.
  • Shadow Ball is coverage to hit Ghost types and opposing Psychic types for super effective damage.
  • Trick Room supports itself and its teammates.
Reuniclus is my subsidiary Trick Room setter, along with Cresselia. It is a powerful wallbreaker that has great synergy with the Dark spam core, since its checks are heavily pressured by its teammates.

@

Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature

• Crabhammer is your most powerful STAB. Mandatory on every Crawdaunt. It hits anything really hard (even most resists) and also has the slightly higher chance to get a critical hit ratio. Can sometimes come in handy!
  • Knock Off is the move you will be spamming at most, due to Crabhammer having 90% accuracy. Same deal with Crabhammer - it hits everything pretty hard, even most resists. It also removes the item of its common switch-ins, giving its teammates a better time sweeping.
  • Aqua Jet is a really useful priority that can be used outside of Trick Room, or inside of Trick Room to bypass opposing priority users. Really useful if you manage to set-up a Swords Dance boost.
  • Swords Dance is used against passive Pokémon who have a hard time hitting Crawdaunt for great damage. It is also used against an obvious Protect, coming from the opponent's side to stall Trick Room turns.
The first half of the Dark spam core. Crawdaunt is arguably the most fearsome wallbreaker in the tier. It has a great offensive typing, an amazing ability in Adaptability, coupled with a high base attack and high BP moves. Sometimes it will end up sweeping teams by its own. It is also the team's main way of beating stall, so don't play to recklessly with it if you are up against stall!

@

Ability: Defiant
Brave Nature

• Knock Off is your strongest STAB to spam, assuming the opponent has an item that can be removed... if not, Iron Head is usually better... unless they resist Steel...
  • Iron Head is the secondary STAB, used to hit fairies, Pokémon who resist Dark in general, or if the opponent's item has already been removed.
  • Sucker Punch is used if Trick Room is not active and you still want to deal a chunk to something. It can also used if Trick Room is active to bypass opposing priority users.
  • Swords Dance is really important, as Bisharp can take almost any one hit thanks to its average bulk, typing and HP investment. It is Bisharp's best way of making holes in the opponent's team, and its teammates appreciate it a lot.
The second half of my Dark spam core. Bisharp is no doubt one of the scariest Pokémon to face against, and it has a very unique place on Hyper Offense, thanks to its ability, Defiant, which allows it to sorta keep the opponent away from using Defog.

@

EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpA / 80 SpD
Quiet Nature

• Trick Room is to... eh... set-up Trick Room lol. This is why Cresselia is here.
  • Lunar Dance is a move Hyper Offensive teams really appreciate and together with its typing, it's the only reason I chose Cresselia over Porygon2.
  • Ice Beam was more useful before I spammed this team on the ladder. Back then, it caught Gliscors that tend to stay in on Cresselia and OHKOing it most of the time, which made a clear way for Cobalion or Bisharp to sweep. Most players expect Ice Beam now (again, because I spammed this team... oopsie) but it's still a really nice coverage to have.
  • Psychic is a pretty strong STAB, thanks to Mind Plate's power boost. It is also quite spammable, not gonna lie.
Cresselia may seem like an odd choice in such an offensive team. In general, offensive Cresselia seems weird. Defensive Cresselia can work, as I used it in my game against Sacri' in round 4 of Top Down Known Down tournament. For the ladder however, I truly believe that an offensive Cresselia seems better, as I was trying my best to counter-team Sacri' in that game. Together with Reuniclus, Cresselia is my subsidiary Trick Room setter and does a really good job at that. Its EV spread is pretty interesting... the SpD investment allows it to survive two Moonblasts from Primarina, a huge threat to my team.

@
/

Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

• Swords Dance allows you to clean late-game against slower teams. It is really powerful, combined with the Dark spam core.
  • Close Combat is Cobalion's main STAB move, allowing it to hit hard the kinds of Hippowdon, Alomomola, Suicune, etc.
  • Iron Head is Cobalion's secondary STAB move, hitting mainly Clefable, Latias and Gliscor.
  • Rock Polish is to have an easier time cleaning late-game against faster teams.
Cobalion is a really important slot in the team. While it seems weird to have such a fast Pokémon in a Trick Room team, it is my Scizor and Bisharp countermeasure, which I think every team should have. Also, Trick Room lasts for only 5 turns. You can't expect to have Trick Room activated for the entire game, right? Cobalion can also just win on team-preview, seriously. Just get Stealth Rock up and you are pretty much good to go. You can go with either Fightinium Z or Steelium Z, I just find Fightinium Z better against most matchups.

Threats (not in a particular order)
  • : Just noticed something funny... more than half of my teams are extremely weak to Conkeldurr. I am gonna regret it, but if you ever face me in a tournament, bring Conkeldurr and you are good to go. Its Mach Punch is just... ugh. It is not impossible to beat it though. Cresselia revenge kills and Reuniclus can take a Knock Off and retaliate back with Psychic.
  • : Not impossible to beat, but extremely difficult to switch-in to. Both Crawdaunt and Bisharp can take one hit and retaliate back and Cobalion can switch-in to it at least once. If really needed, Cresselia can Lunar Dance Cobalion to let it take another hit from the scary shark.
  • : Same deal as Conkeldurr, but way more managable thanks to its Fighting weakness and lack of priority.
  • : If it gets lucky Scald burns, this thing literally beats my entire team. Having a second chance against Scald burns with Cresselia's Lunar Dance is nice too.
  • : Almost impossible to switch into. Especially if it carries Substitute, which is luckily uncommon comparing to its AoA set.
Other than these few, the team has a pretty good matchup against most teams.

Importable

zongy (Bronzong) @ Focus Sash
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

clusy (Reuniclus) @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room

daunty (Crawdaunt) @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

sharpy (Bisharp) @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

sely (Cresselia) @ Mind Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpA / 80 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Lunar Dance
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

liony (Cobalion) @ Fightinium Z / Steelium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Rock Polish

More variations of the team
An updated version of the team, tried to make it fitting the current metagame more than the old one. Is is also my go-to team on the ladder. Mew over Bronzong because it has Taunt and Cresselia is EV'd to outspeed the fastest Conkeldurr (not counting Choice Scarfed Conkeldurr because that's literally not a thing). This version of the team should be less weak to Conkeldurr and will have an easier time setting up Stealth Rock.
Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room

Mew @ Focus Sash
Ability: Synchronize
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Taunt
- Explosion

Cresselia @ Mind Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lunar Dance
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

The team I used against Sacri' for round 4 of TDKD tournament. Because they banned the most things that can OHKO Bronzong, I decided to go with Mental Herb over Focus Sash to have a better chance of setting Stealth Rock against Taunt users. Since Cobalion was banned too, I noticed Kommo-o is a great replacement since it also checks Bisharp (Scizor was also banned), can set-up and be really effective and has great synergy with Dark spam cores. It also ended up winning me that game. A more defensive variant of Cresselia was used because Sacri' bringing Primarina was seemed so obvious to me. He didn't end up bringing it though, lol. This team works pretty nice, as I tested it on the ladder before my game but I think it's pretty inferior to the main team.
Bronzong @ Mental Herb
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
- Trick Room

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Lunar Dance
- Psychic
- Toxic

Kommo-o @ Dragonium Z / Fightinium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Sky Uppercut
- Outrage
- Poison Jab

Cofagrigus is an interesting option over Reuniclus. It helps the team a lot with its weaknesses to Scizor and Conkeldurr. However, the lack of a Z-Crystal on Cobalion really limits its sweeping potential and Reuniclus has a way better offensive synergy with the rest of my team. Basically a less "high-risk-high-reward" variation of the team.

Bronzong @ Focus Sash
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

Cofagrigus @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Cresselia @ Mind Plate
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Lunar Dance
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry/ Fightinium Z / Steelium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Rock Polish

Replays are currently broken for me (anyone else suffering from this problem?). I will provide replays as soon as it gets fixed...
Thank you so much for reading by far! I really appreciate it! I hope you found this thread helpful and like the team... if you do... please feed me with likes... please...
please... please...
Seriously now, thanks a lot! Every suggestion you have is more than appreciated! I hope you are having a great day!

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
This is such a well formatted RMT that's apparently not unsuccssful so I think it deserves some attention. This won't be a traditional rate since I haven't used your team but just a few minor recommendations.

Firstly, even though it might not fit on this team, maybe one day consider Weakness Policy Trick Room Chandelure. It does not necessarily need to work on a Trick Room team, and is extremely high risk medium reward, but if you're using full Trick Room teams you apparently aren't 100% concerned with viability.

Secondly, I think it's worth considering just maxing Crawdaunts Speed to outspeed walls outside Trick Room and sweepers inside Trick Room. Hoopa ran similar EVs for the same purpose last generation which is my evidence for this recommendation. This would make you more Sharpedo weak but I think you're exaggerating your weakness to it as you have a Cobalion and Bisharp.

Again, this post is more of a bump than anything. I'll have more thoughts later though and a real rate.

For now I'm going with a 7.9/10 in terms of effectiveness but take it with a grain of salt as I don't use Trick Room often.

Ps. I like how some variations use Mental Herb Bisharp; it seems better than Focus Sash for an above average bulk Pokemon.

I don't really have much expertise with Trick Room (or Gen 7 UU in general), so I can't really offer any useful criticism, but I agree with pokeisfun in that the team deserves some more attention. Unfortunate that a player / team with some of the highest win % in UU right now, barely has any RMT replies. I would like to try this team out in the near future myself, can't hurt to have some experienced UU players give some (educated) alternatives to the sets.

Again, sorry I can't in good conscience offer my own suggestions at the moment, but if I'm brave enough I will return with some of my own comments on the team after I've tried it out for a while :)

It seems smooth,opinions : Crawdaunt is a beast,the HP investment lets me SD once in TR in front of things that might kill me if im not full hp.
The trick roomers are okay,Lunar Dance on Cress and Explosion on Bronzong lets you gain momentum,also you can lead with Zong,TR and Explode
I have a replay here http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-585021778
This guy had to sack half of his team http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-585025067
I got a threat here : Snorlax http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-585034952
A really fun battle http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-585033621

I will suggest to run standard Bisharp,Jolly/Adamant to beat mons out of the TR

Last edited:

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Would you
1- Just replace bisharp
or
2- Also change a few things
or
3- Stop using trick room
Trick Room actually seems not that bad at all thanks to all the fast and frail Pokémon that dropped. I will try to think of a replacement for Bisharp, not giving up on this team, I love it, haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)