Project Top 10 Titans of the 6th Gen RU Metagame (Some final revision before Sun & Moon; check post #216)

Alomomola

Functions as the tier's "easy button" since it switches into over half the tier, is the best wish-passer in the game, and drains momentum from anything that can't 2HKO it.

(Reuniclus can be #5)

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Brah, that was onesided as fuck (not that I disagree but damn). Anyways, the 4th titan is:

Alomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomola

VOTING FOR #5 STARTS NOW. BRING IT.

Guys, please, post a paragraph with a reasoning for your voting. It doesnt have to be the most elaborate thing but please, something >:V Same deal as before.

As we saw in moltres meta, carbink rose to popularity as one of the best utility mons/moltres counters in the tier. Unfortunately, it lacked good attacking STATs and support movepool like heal bell! Once we got this menace, it made RU great again. It has base 150 defenses, good offensive stats, trick room to supplement offensive sets, and one of the best spdef typings in the game. Diancie shook up the RU metagame when it came, so I have to nominate it for the #5 spot!

Diancie

Diancie has been a pillar of the RU metagame ever since it was introducted to the tier. Its amazing typing in addition to its vast support pool make it a very splashable wall; its access to Heal Bell in particular allows it to mesh flawlessly with the #4 Pokemon, Alomomola. Diancie's presence has led to the decline of some very popular Pokemon such as Houndoom, and its presence has forced many Pokemon to start running otherwise sub-par Steel-type moves such as Iron Tail in order to deal with it. It also possesses versatility in the form of the Trick Room set, which can prove to be a major headache for offensive teams.

Flygon

Has been S-rank since I started playing, extremely flexible(no pun intended) and splashable. Excels at hazard control making many mons more viable while also being a scary offensive threat and wallbreaker.
(gets design/style points aswell)

Funbot28

Banned deucer.

Mega Steelix

Mega Steelix was one of the most high reward/low risk mons to ever grace RU due to its incredible defensive capabilties that led it beat pratically most of the meta sans Fire, Water, and a few Ground types. It also had the added bonus of hitting stuff incredibly hard with Heavy Slam and could also just cripple and stall out walls with Toxic. Could be placed on almost every team besides HO and legit made a lot of stuff unviable when it was in the meta. Def is higher then Diancie imo.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Mega Abomasnow

I can respect bringing up Alomomola as a top 3 Pokemon, but Abomasnow was massive, both in XY (I mean, aside from Banette, which was underwhelming most of the time, Abomasnow was pretty much the Mega Evolution of RU) and when it finally dropped again in ORAS, getting banned eventually mainly due to the fact that most of its reliable checks, such as Moltres, Doublade and Cobalion, weren't really in the tier any more.
This is definitely a biased nomination because Abomasnow was one of my favorite and most used 'mons back when I played this tier actively, but I just feel like this Pokemon shaped the metagame in a pretty interesting way that no other offensive Pokemon in RU (aside from Moltres, obviously) was able to. My favorite example of that is how it stopped Alomomola + Mega Steelix balance (which ended up becoming the dominant playstyle after MEGA BIG CHILL's ban) cold.

With that said, have a cute Abomasnow:

Flygon because after it dropped from UU it became a great mon in RU becoming a staple mon in today's Meta. It has been able to run many sets with great attacking stats with band, a nice speed tier in RU. It also can run defensive with roost and defog making it an overall great Pokémon

Last edited:
If we're going purely on how much the metagame was warped around it, Mega Steelix has this hands-down. Unless you were playing Fast Offence, there was just 0 reason not to run it. I can't think of a single other Pokémon that has had that much of an effect on the metagame, so Mega Steelix gets my vote.

Miss you diamond snake <3

Reuniclus

Along with my old reasoning here, it also contributed to pulling Shiftry and Skuntank (two otherwise suboptimal Dark types) from NU, along with single-handedly making Dugtrio a major threat even during the Mega Steelix meta (a massive force that held down Duggy with its sheer physical bulk, despite it having a ground weakness).

Yes, Diancie was pretty influential when it dropped, but it wasn't around for long enough during the generation to make the list, nor was it all that overwhelming. On the other hand, Reuniclus and Mega Steelix (who I don't feel should quite be in the top 5 from what I've studied of the tier history) have both had much more time to warp the tier around themselves.

Last edited:
Mega Steelix
It was just ridiculously over centralizing. It has excellent stats overall, except for speed and special attack, and it fit on almost any team with only one set. I honestly could not really think about a reason to not use it unless you wanted to experiment with another mega, and while some may argue that it had opportunity cost, I would argue that that only applied to other megas except for Aboma, due to the fact that you lost so much if you did not go with Steelix, as it fit so many roles into one slot that it was brainless to slap onto a team. So many mons that would otherwise be good were liabilities because of this thing, and I can't see it anywhere out of the top 5 tbh

Last edited:

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mega Steelix

It made a lot of Pokemon unviable or resort to bad sets and had been one of the most centralizing Pokemon in ORAS. It could wear down its checks with Toxic and the ones that could heal its status doesn't have reliable recovery (Blastoise). It could come in for free in front of a plethora of Pokemon and be an immediate offensive presence. Lix-Mola is the main reason why Mega Abomasnow was really good and got banned.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
No, I didnt forgot about it, I just got busy (and lazy). The people have spoken:

Congratulations, we filled the first half, only 5 more to go!!

VOTING FOR #6 STARTS NOW

YOU KNOW THE DEAL IN TERMS OF RESERVATIONS

And I feel like voting tbh.

Cobalion

A top supporting mon with a great speed stat, typing, and little opportunity cost. Many Pokemon had to adapt to its mere presence in order to continue to succeed in the RU meta game. I believe that it is more than worthy of the #6 position.

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cobalion

One of the key glues Pokemon which fulfilled a variety of roles when it was in the tier. Also Mega Steelix offense rose only after this Pokemon rose to UU, which showcased its importance in a lot of offense and couple balance builds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)