Time to move on

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I think it is about time we advertise the circus discord channel (found here: https://discord.gg/vQZeGAQ) as the official chat room for every outside communication game on this forum. This is already basically happening, but I would like to make it properly official and insist upon hosts including it in their OPs and stuff. The chan will also be used for general circus chat & the platform for people to talk about non-mafia games in real time - there is #games on the server too for stuff like internet's john game.

The critical point of this is that discord is highly active, #smogon has made the jump quite successfully and it is time we stopped living in the past and supported circus discord officially. Don't get me wrong, I'm an old timer with irc tinted glasses and I think irc is the superior programme, but we got to get with the times and cater for activity. This is not splitting up the community, this is moving on and ensuring that our real time chat supports our forum games in the best possible way.

I don't see any negatives to making this official just because Yeti or whoever can't be bothered opening a different chat client.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I resisted the change at first but I certainly do think it's a superior program for mafia. I could care less if there's a migration, I certainly don't want to deal with moving #flamel for no reason. but this seems good.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Legitimate question, why is IRC superior?

I'm sure someone's made all of these points before, but:
-private discord servers are inherently un-Gmaxable
-discord saves logs even when you're not on, so you can see what happened while you were gone
-voice chat (not necessary but a nice bonus)
-you can change the layout so it looks like IRC
-less complex highlighting system
-much harder to out someone via idle times (this is a plus imo)

What advantages does IRC have, other than the fact that we've been using it?

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
the one thing that I don't like about discord in regards to mafia is the fact that you can edit and delete messages, which imo goes against the spirit of mafia. I also like the fact that IRC is more customizable in regards to layout. I think the pros for discord outweigh the cons, but the main factor for me is to go where the people go, which is discord right now.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Frankly you lot should have moved to discord ages ago. I have heard some of you complain about certain issues which will almost certainly be solved if you take the time to download and install the desktop app (seriously, don't bother with the web / mobile app unless you absolutely must). In my own experience, it has been a very stable internet chat platform, more so than IRC and the occasional netsplits.

advantages of irc:
greater customizability
better logs

discord wins overall but i really dgaf, i'll go wherever people are(read i will stop having both open right around when nobody uses irc at all)

People can make their own servers, yes. Do you mean making a voice channel/text channel? In that case, an admin needs to do it (admin of the server).

shade

be sharp, say nowt
Is the standard procedure for game channels that it's on the same server as what shade linked, or are games on a new server?
the idea is to use the channel on the server i linked, keep all the activity in one place. we can rename the channel for official games and shit if we need to. i've never felt that individual chans for games has ever worked, i know that i never bothered joining them and it just splits our activity. if we keep everything in one place, it should really help drive a sense of community and keep this circus revival going forward. having a new chan every time just dilutes everything for me, especially when it coems to smaller games. the activity we've had in the channel (especially throughout the official) has been really positive and is a massive addition to the circus community as we progress.

But what about team channels? Wouldn't that divide us, anyway? (And if we do use them, how would we do it without making it so that any admins who are *also playing* can't help but see the channel?)

shade

be sharp, say nowt
teams are free to make their own servers as they please, this is just for the Official Game Chan

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeah servers for individual teams are super easy to make - I'd actually argue that they're easier to do than private IRC channels

And I've always advocated keeping all the circ general activity in one place so using the general channel SeemsGood

My one regret is that my IRC sops are gonna waste away RIP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)