OU Thundurus

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion

QC: Colonel M / Subject 18 / Gary GP: DeathByWobbuffet / Haund

[OVERVIEW]

Thundurus is a fearsome wallbreaker in the OU metagame thanks to its good offensive stats, allowing it to run special and mixed sets. Its above average Speed tier lets it outpace some dangerous threats such as Keldeo, Gengar, Mega Medicham, and Mega Pinsir, thus making it fairly hard to revenge kill. It has access to a great boosting move in Nasty Plot, which, in combination with its wide movepool, lets it threaten defensive teams. However, an unfortunate weakness to Stealth Rock as well as subpar bulk make it hard for Thundurus to set up with Nasty Plot unpunished, thus limiting its sweepin capabilities. Despite Thundurus's balance-breaking potential, it faces competition from Tapu Koko as an offensive Electric-type due to the latter's stronger STAB moves and superior Speed. Its abilities don't help it much either outside of niche sets like Prankster Thunder Wave and mixed sets with Defiant.

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Life Orb
ability: Prankster
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Nasty Plot is Thundurus's main niche, allowing it to boost its already high Special Attack by two stages and break past some of its usual defensive answers such as Tangrowth, Hippowdon, and Amoongus. Thunderbolt is its most reliable STAB move, dealing a good amount of damage even on neutral targets thanks to the Life Orb boost and denting them severely after a Nasty Plot boost. Hidden Power Ice hits the Ground- and Grass-type Pokemon that either resist or are immune to Thunderbolt, such as Landorus-T, Zygarde, Garchomp, Tangrowth, and Tapu Bulu, for super effective damage. Focus Blast rounds out Thundurus's coverage, hitting Steel-types that don't take super effective damage from the combination of Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice such as Ferrothorn, Magnezone, and Excadrill. It also allows it to muscle past Chansey, the specially bulkiest Pokemon in the tier, after a Nasty Plot boost, although it won't stop Chansey from using Toxic on it. Sludge Wave is a nice option as a fourth coverage move to hit Tapu Koko trying to switch into a predicted Thunderbolt as well as some Grass-types like Tangrowth and Tapu Bulu and Fairy-types such as Clefable and Tapu Lele.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment with a Timid nature allows Thundurus to hit as hard as possible while outspeeding the base 110 Speed tier crowded with Pokemon such as Gengar and Latios. Life Orb is the preferred item, as it lets Thundurus hit relatively hard even when unboosted, thus making it a bigger threat to offensive teams.

Usage Tips
========

This set excels as an early- or mid-game wallbreaker against bulkier teams, being able to threaten its defensive answers with boosted attacks and paving the way for sweepers or cleaners. Capitalizing on the switches Thundurus forces to set up with Nasty Plot is a good idea if your opponent has an answer to Electric-types that Thundurus can beat after a boost. Against more offensive teams that lack a reliable answer for it, it's more efficient to just use its coverage moves without boosting as they will still hit relatively hard thanks to the Life Orb boost. Due to its subpar bulk, Thundurus shouldn't be brought in on attacks because taking any kind of damage would limit its breaking potential.

Team Options
========

Sweepers and cleaners that appreciate Thundurus's wallbreaking capabilities make for good partners. Some examples are Ash-Greninja, Choice Scarf Garchomp, and Keldeo because they can all take advantage of Thundurus softening bulky Grass-types that would otherwise stop them in their tracks and putting pressure on some miscellaneous Pokemon such as Celesteela and Tapu Fini. Hazard control from partners such as Mega Scizor, Tapu Fini, and Latios is mandatory, since it will give Thundurus an easier time setting up and prevent it from fainting from Life Orb recoil after taking some prior damage. Thundurus's subpar bulk prevents it from switching into attacks during a match without compromising its sweeping capabilities, making VoltTurn support from the likes of Mega Scizor, defensive Landorus-T, and Assault Vest Magearna very useful. Even though Thundurus's Speed is relatively high, it finds itself easily revenge killed by faster threats such as Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Choice Scarf Keldeo, which are pretty common on offensive teams. Therefore, Pokemon that can pivot into these threats safely like Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, and Assault Vest Magearna help it improve its offense matchup.

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
ability: Defiant
nature: Naive
evs: 68 Atk / 188 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Thunderbolt is Thundurus's best STAB option, with enough power to threaten most neutral targets thanks to the Life Orb boost. Knock Off is a great utility move that removes items from the likes of Assault Vest Magearna, Assault Vest Tnagrowth, and Chansey, while also OHKOing Latios and Alolan Marowak after Stealth Rock damage. Its high Base Power also makes it a decently spammable move if it gets a Defiant boost from an opposing Defog. Superpower lets Thundurus further pressure Chansey and gives it crucial Fighting-type coverage move against Ferrothorn, Heatran, Tyranitar, and Kyurem-B. Hidden Power Ice does massive damage against the most common Ground-types in the tier: Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Garchomp, which otherwise prevent it from spamming Thunderbolt.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment with a positive nature is mandatory on a fast offensive Pokemon like Thundurus, letting it outspeed everything in the 110 Speed tier and below, where Pokemon like Keldeo and Latios lie. 68 Attack EVs give Knock Off enough power to OHKO Latios and Alolan Marowak after Stealth Rock damage, while the remaining EVs are invested in Special Attack to power up Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice. Life Orb is mandatory on this set for maximum damage output. Defiant lets Thundurus punish opposing Defog by boosting its own Attack by two stages, making its Knock Off hit significantly harder.

Usage Tips
========

This set can't punish switch-ins with a boosting move, so proper prediction is required in order for it to wallbreak efficiently. If there's a specially defensive wall on the opposing team, Knock Off is usually the go-to move, as it will either remove Assault Vest in the case of Tangrowth and Magearna or Eviolite in the case of Chansey. Taking advantage of Thundurus's Defiant ability also gives it more wallbreaking potential due to how scary a +2 Knock Off is, so it should try to switch directly into passive Defog users like Mew and Tapu Fini. However, switching into more aggressive hazard removers like Latios isn't advised because they could predict Thundurus to switch in and OHKO it with an attack.

Team Options
========

This set is suited to more offensive playstyles with hazard-stacking cores because of its ability to punish Defog users, so Stealth Rock and Spikes setters like Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, Garchomp, and Greninja make for good partners. Suicide leads such as Excadrill and Azelf are also good options depending on the team's playstyle, as hyper offensive teams appreciate how Thundurus keeps the momentum up with its Defiant ability. Smeargle gets a special mention for its ability to set up Sticky Web for Thundurus, slowing down the opposing team and making it harder to revenge kill. Without Nasty Plot, Thundurus finds itself unable to pose a threat to bulkier teams with reliable checks to it. For that reason, it is a good idea to pair it with balance breakers like Swords Dance Tapu Bulu and Mawile.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An alternative mixed set can be used with Thunderbolt / Fly / Knock Off / Superpower and Flyinium Z in order to further take advantage of Defiant boosts with a strong STAB Z-Move that hits most of Thundurus's defensive switch-ins for a lot of damage. Thundurus can make use of its Prankster ability with moves such as Taunt and Thunder Wave that appreciate the increased priority, though giving up either Nasty Plot or a coverage move for one of these situational moves isn't advised. Hidden Power Flying hits bulky Grass-types for more damage than Hidden Power Ice thanks to the STAB boost, allowing Thundurus to OHKO Tangrowth, Amoongus, and Mega Venusaur after a Nasty Plot boost as well as Alolan Marowak. While this ensures it won't take any kind of damage from them, it also limits its coverage options because it won't be able to run Hidden Power Ice anymore, meaning it will struggle against Zygarde, Landorus-T, and Garchomp. Fightinium Z can be used alongside Hidden Power Flying for a strong neutral move against bulky Ground-types that would stomach Hidden Power Ice easily as well as a one-time accurate Fighting-type move. Incinerate is an alternative to Focus Blast to guarantee an OHKO against Mega Scizor after Stealth Rock damage while still hitting one of its main targets in Ferrothorn for the same damage with the added bonus of perfect accuracy. Finally, Grass Knot is another coverage option that hits some bulky Ground-types for significantly more damage than Hidden Power Ice, such as Hippowdon, Quagsire, and Gastrodon, although they aren't common enough to warrant using a moveslot just for them.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Hippowdon, Gastrodon, Mamoswine, and Quagsire are all immune to Thunderbolt and take very little from Hidden Power Ice, making for reliable switch-ins, as they only fear the rare Grass Knot. While Mamoswine must be wary of taking a Focus Blast as it switches into Thundurus, it can heavily cripple it in a 1v1 situation with Ice Shard. Quagsire in particular ignores Nasty Plot boosts thanks to its ability, making it a very reliable counter.

**Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types such as Tangrowth, Amoongus, and Mega Venusaur resist Thunderbolt and can take even +2 Hidden Power Ice due to their high special bulk. However, they are all 2HKOed by Hidden Power Flying.

**Alolan Marowak**: Lightning Rod grants Alolan Marowak an immunity to Thunderbolt, which in combination with its Fire / Ghost typing allows it to completely wall Nasty Plot sets lacking Hidden Power Flying. However, its Stealth Rock weakness combined with the fact that mixed sets threaten it with a Knock Off makes it an unreliable answer.

**Faster Pokemon**: Naturally faster Pokemon and Choice Scarf users such as Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Choice Scarf Garchomp outspeed Thundurus and threaten to OHKO it.

**Chansey**: Due to its immense special bulk, Chansey can easily take any unboosted attack and is only 2HKOed by the unreliable Focus Blast after a boost, thus making it a good answer to Nasty Plot sets because it will always get a Toxic on them. It still needs to watch out for a mixed set because getting its Eviolite removed by Knock Off severely cripples its bulk and makes it more susceptible to Superpower.

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
This is ready for QC, first analysis so I hope it's up to the standards, I feel like the Overview is a bit vague but don't really know what else to add there so I'll leave that to QC

Not QC but I have some nitpicks:

imo Thunder Wave + 3 attacks is worth a set on its own, since Prankster T-Wave is really valuable versus offensive-oriented teams. I'd also mention Electrium-Z for the Nasty Plot set, either in set details (not slashed) or at least in Other Options. But you should wait for QC's opinions on it before implementing my suggestions, though :)

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
Not QC but I have some nitpicks:

imo Thunder Wave + 3 attacks is worth a set on its own, since Prankster T-Wave is really valuable versus offensive-oriented teams. I'd also mention Electrium-Z for the Nasty Plot set, either in set details (not slashed) or at least in Other Options. But you should wait for QC's opinions on it before implementing my suggestions, though :)
I tested Electrium and honestly it's not that good when Life Orb Tbolt already blows everything at +2 so I didn't really see any significant target for it. It was originally in OO but I just didn't see any reason to use your zcrystal on it. If there's anything important it helps vs let me know and I'll add it. About the Thunder Wave set, I didn't have any strong opinion on it so I asked on Discord and was told to drop it to OO
e: added electrium in oo because Clefable easily walls otherwise

Last edited:
[SET]
name:
move 2: Hidden Power [Ice]
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Nasty Plot / Thunder Wave

Leftovers is bad. Remove every mention of it in this analysis. It loses out of a ton of KOs such as on Clefable, Mega Scizor, Mega Metagross, and having extra initial power is important when you are playing offense.

Thunder Wave should be slashed. Having more counterplay for threats such as Volcarona, Choice Scarf Keldeo, Shift Gear Magearna, Metagross, changed type Greninja, Alakazam, and other less common threats such a Serperior and Choice Scarf Terrakion / Nihilego is a boon for offense. It doesn't deserve another set since they play the same: Attack then Nasty Plot if there is a defensive threat or Thunder Wave on an offensive threat.

- Have Fightinium Z in set details
- Alolan Marowak is a target of Hidden Power [Flying]. Speaking of it, there is no reason to not use Hidden Power [Ice] lol. I'd put it in Other Options.
- Grass Knot should be in Other Options. Hippowdon and Gastrodon are not as relevant as they were in ORAS.
- Sludge Wave to the actual set in moves please. It is a good option over Thunder Wave and Nasty Plot due to the prevalence of Tapu Koko and actually being able to hit Tangrowth and destroy Tapu Bulu and Tapu Lele without the need of a boost.

C&C could use more work but looks good otherwise imo

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
[SET]
name:
move 4: Nasty Plot / Thunder Wave

Leftovers is bad. Remove every mention of it in this analysis. It loses out of a ton of KOs such as on Clefable, Mega Scizor, Mega Metagross, and having extra initial power is important when you are playing offense.

Thunder Wave should be slashed. Having more counterplay for threats such as Volcarona, Choice Scarf Keldeo, Shift Gear Magearna, Metagross, changed type Greninja, Alakazam, and other less common threats such a Serperior and Choice Scarf Terrakion / Nihilego is a boon for offense. It doesn't deserve another set since they play the same: Attack then Nasty Plot if there is a defensive threat or Thunder Wave on an offensive threat.

- Have Fightinium Z in set details
- Alolan Marowak is a target of Hidden Power [Flying]. Speaking of it, there is no reason to not use Hidden Power [Ice] lol. I'd put it in Other Options.
- Grass Knot should be in Other Options. Hippowdon and Gastrodon are not as relevant as they were in ORAS.
- Sludge Wave to the actual set in moves please. It is a good option over Thunder Wave and Nasty Plot due to the prevalence of Tapu Koko and actually being able to hit Tangrowth and destroy Tapu Bulu and Tapu Lele without the need of a boost.

C&C could use more work but looks good otherwise imo
Added, not a big fan of non-Nasty Plot Thundurus in this meta but I can see its uses on more offensive teams. I also gave it a mention in Overview. Thanks btw :mad:
e: on HP Fly, I think I initially overrated it because Tangrowth is everywhere and bopping it without taking a Knock is p cool but not having HP Ice totally sucks lol

e2: Adding Unaware Walls to C&C and Chansey because now twave is a slash (NP 2hkos it)

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Aight so.

In the Overview I would remove all mentions of Prankster and Defiant. At the very best I would note that they can be situational in helping Thundurus out when running specific moves. I don't know why you mentioned Thunder Wave Prankster when it can only get through Greninja that aren't Dark-, Ground-, or Electric-type (the last one is incredibly rare, but the first two? super common). It doesn't even guarantee paralyzing Gyarados because it could flip the Mega switch (its rare but trust Mega Gyarados is still used on a rare occasion) and completely bone it. Thunder Wave also does jack shit to other faster threats like Weavile, so yeah get rid of it and just give very very small mention to it.

Set should be as follows:

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 4: Nasty Plot

- Keep Sludge Wave in moves.
- Remove Thunder Wave.
- Also real talk:
Nasty Plot is Thundurus main niche
If Nasty Plot is Thundurus's main niche why is it slashed!?!
Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment with a Timid nature allows it to hit as hard as possible while outspeeding the crowded base 110 Speed tier.
Mention examples.
Prankster works in tandem with Thunder Wave for a priority paralysis-inducing move, able to slow down offensive threats and stop set-up sweepers.
Delet dis.

No mention of how Focus Blast + Nasty Plot does a fuckton to Chansey?

Hazard control I feel is really needed for Thundurus just because it maximizes survival and allows Thundurus a little more breathing room to attack if it doesn't need to plot right away. Mega Scizor is probably its best partner since Mega Scizor can U-turn to Thundurus when offensive Heatran and Celesteela switch into Mega Scizor. It also allows Mega Scizor to at least punish Ferrothorn who probably will continue laying hazards on Mega Scizor if it can.

Definitely could give a little more beef and description in Team Options.

OO definitely needs a cleanup.

- Mention Taunt and Thunder Wave (not a combined set) can be used with Prankster, but note its ineffective vs Dark-types.
- Mention anything with physical sets (Mixed / Flyinium Z) next to each other.
- Remove Electrium Z.

Outside of Quagsire Clefable js a shaky check. First Life Orb Thunderbolt 2HKOes after Stealth Rock for max HP / 0 SpD Clef. Secondly, Sludge Wave does a fuckton to it. I would just put Quagsire in Ground-types and mention jt being able to ignore Nasty Plot. I would remove Seismitoad too. Should mention Mamoswine in Grounds - it just cant switch into Focus Blast and Ice Shard cheeses Thundurus. Remove any mentions of Gigavolt Havoc.

We'll start with this.

1/3

Last edited:
Reactions: Leo

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
Aight so.

In the Overview I would remove all mentions of Prankster and Defiant. At the very best I would note that they can be situational in helping Thundurus out when running specific moves. I don't know why you mentioned Thunder Wave Prankster when it can only get through Greninja that aren't Dark-, Ground-, or Electric-type (the last one is incredibly rare, but the first two? super common). It doesn't even guarantee paralyzing Gyarados because it could flip the Mega switch (its rare but trust Mega Gyarados is still used on a rare occasion) and completely bone it. Thunder Wave also does jack shit to other faster threats like Weavile, so yeah get rid of it and just give very very small mention to it.

Set should be as follows:

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 4: Nasty Plot

- Keep Sludge Wave in moves.
- Remove Thunder Wave.
- Also real talk:

If Nasty Plot is Thundurus's main niche why is it slashed!?!

Mention examples.

Delet dis.

No mention of how Focus Blast + Nasty Plot does a fuckton to Chansey?

Hazard control I feel is really needed for Thundurus just because it maximizes survival and allows Thundurus a little more breathing room to attack if it doesn't need to plot right away. Mega Scizor is probably its best partner since Mega Scizor can U-turn to Thundurus when offensive Heatran and Celesteela switch into Mega Scizor. It also allows Mega Scizor to at least punish Ferrothorn who probably will continue laying hazards on Mega Scizor if it can.

Definitely could give a little more beef and description in Team Options.

OO definitely needs a cleanup.

- Mention Taunt and Thunder Wave (not a combined set) can be used with Prankster, but note its ineffective vs Dark-types.
- Mention anything with physical sets (Mixed / Flyinium Z) next to each other.
- Remove Electrium Z.

Outside of Quagsire Clefable js a shaky check. First Life Orb Thunderbolt 2HKOes after Stealth Rock for max HP / 0 SpD Clef. Secondly, Sludge Wave does a fuckton to it. I would just put Quagsire in Ground-types and mention jt being able to ignore Nasty Plot. I would remove Seismitoad too. Should mention Mamoswine in Grounds - it just cant switch into Focus Blast and Ice Shard cheeses Thundurus. Remove any mentions of Gigavolt Havoc.

We'll start with this.

1/3
Added

A mixed set can be used with Thunderbolt / Hidden Power [Ice] / Knock Off / Superpower in order to lure and beat some would-be counters such as Marowak-Alola and Chansey, however neither of them appreciate taking Nasty Plot boosted attacks.
Specify that you can't touch Marowak unless you have HP Flying as it's not a main move on this set.

Also make sure that you change SpAtk to SpA and SpDef to SpD, since this is the correct format. Everything else seems fine. Good work.

2/3

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
Specify that you can't touch Marowak unless you have HP Flying as it's not a main move on this set.

Also make sure that you change SpAtk to SpA and SpDef to SpD, since this is the correct format. Everything else seems fine. Good work.

2/3
Thanks for the check! That set has Knock Off btw which does more than HP Flying to Marowak

I'll be writing this up in my free time but it might take a couple of days or so because I'm not a native speaker and my english isn't too fluid, I'll do my best anyways

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
"however neither of them appreciate taking Nasty Plot boosted attacks."

I was referring to this.
Oh right I'll change that, I was testing HP Flying a bit before writing that part and forgot it wasn't in Set Details

Not a QC, but Fightnium Z is another option for Nasty Plot to take care of bulkier foes. It can even cripple Chansey.

+2 252 SpA Thundurus All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 410-484 (63.8 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

QC talked and we want this set added. Thundurus is already struggling to carve a niche for itself in OU atm even with NP, but Mixed Thundurus is definitely something that makes it stand out from Koko as something that can punish Defoggers such as Mew, Latios, Fini, Skarm, etc. so it fits well on Spike stacking or some Web builds. EVs are the same as last gen; 68 Atk EVs lets it OHKO Latios after SR with Knock. Mention Fightinium in set details as another potential option, but it significantly lowers Thundy's damage output, especially on its special moves, so that needs to be heavily considered. For that one, 56 Atk EVs is all you need to OHKO Chansey with AOP after it has been knocked.

Keep NP first in the set order. Tag me once you write this up and I'll give you the final check. Sorry this took so long.

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
Gary Ok added the mixed set and updated OO and C&C to reflect this. Ready for a 3rd check

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In set details you mention Mega Medicham as a Pokemon that belongs in the 110 Speed tier, but it's only base 100 lol.

Focus Blast rounds out Thundurus' coverage hitting Steel-types that don't take super effective damage from the combination of Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice such as Ferrothorn, Magnezone, and Excadrill. It also allows it to defeat Chansey, the specially bulkiest Pokemon in the tier, after a Nasty Plot boost.
For the Chansey point, I wouldn't say that it lets Thundurus outright beat Chansey, especially in a 1v1 scenario, considering that you have it in C&C. I would just say it can help it muscle through Chansey at most, but taking LO recoil, Focus Blast missing, Chansey clicking Softboiled, and potential Toxic residual, Chansey still has a chance to beat it regardless. Just change the wording a bit.

Abusing its Defiant ability also gives it more wallbreaking potential due to how scary a +2 Knock Off is, so it should try to switch directly into Defog users if possible.
Make sure to mention how it should still use caution because hard switching directly into something like Latios is not always smart lol.

QC 3/3 sorry this check took so long lol.

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
In set details you mention Mega Medicham as a Pokemon that belongs in the 110 Speed tier, but it's only base 100 lol.

For the Chansey point, I wouldn't say that it lets Thundurus outright beat Chansey, especially in a 1v1 scenario, considering that you have it in C&C. I would just say it can help it muscle through Chansey at most, but taking LO recoil, Focus Blast missing, Chansey clicking Softboiled, and potential Toxic residual, Chansey still has a chance to beat it regardless. Just change the wording a bit.

Make sure to mention how it should still use caution because hard switching directly into something like Latios is not always smart lol.

QC 3/3 sorry this check took so long lol.
Cool, implemented and ready for GP, thanks

Leooo_33
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]
(remove space)
Thundurus is a fearsome wallbreaker in the OU metagame thanks to its good offensive stats on both sides of the spectrum, allowing it to run special and mixed sets. Its above average Speed tier lets it outpace some dangerous threats such as Keldeo, Gengar, Mega Medicham, and Mega Pinsir, thus making it harder to revenge kill. It has access to a great boosting move in Nasty Plot, which, in combination with its wide movepool, lets it threaten defensive teams. An unfortunate weakness to Stealth Rock as well as subpar bulk make it harder for it Thundurus to set up with Nasty Plot unpunished, thus limiting its breaking capabilities. It faces competition from Tapu Koko as an offensive Electic-type Electric-type due to the latter's its stronger STAB moves and superior Speed despite its Thundurus's (is this what you meant?) balance breaking potential. Its abilities don't help it much either outside of niche sets like Prankster Thunder Wave and mixed sets with Defiant.
(remove space)
[SET]
move 3: Hidden Power [Ice] Hidden Power Ice

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Nasty Plot is Thundurus' Thundurus's main niche, allowing it to boost its already high Special Attack by 2 stages and break past some of its defensive answers such as Tangrowth, Hippowdon, and Amoongus. Thunderbolt is its most reliable STAB move, dealing a good amount of damage even on neutral targets thanks to the Life Orb boost and dents denting them severely after a Nasty Plot boost (this right?). Hidden Power Ice hits the Ground- and Grass-type Pokemon that either resist or are immune to Thunderbolt such as Landorus-T, Zygarde, Garchomp, Tangrowth, and Tapu Bulu for super effective damage. Focus Blast rounds out Thundurus' Thundurus's coverage, (AC) hitting Steel-types that don't take super effective damage from the combination of Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice such as Ferrothorn, Magnezone, and Excadrill. It also allows it to muscle past Chansey, the specially bulkiest Pokemon in the tier, after a Nasty Plot boost, although it won't stop it Chansey (little unclear what you're talking about otherwise) from using Toxic on it. Sludge Wave is a nice option as a fourth coverage move to hit Tapu Koko trying to switch into a predicted Thunderbolt as well as some Grass-types like Tangrowth and Tapu Bulu and Fairy-types such as Clefable and Tapu Lele.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment with a Timid nature allows it Thundurus to hit as hard as possible while outspeeding the crowded base 110 Speed tier with Pokemon such as Gengar and Latios. Life Orb is the prefered preferred item, as it lets Thundurus hit relatively hard even when unboosted, thus making it a bigger threat to offensive teams.

Usage Tips
========

This set excels best as an early- to or mid-game breaker against bulkier teams, being able to threaten its defensive answers with boosted attacks and paving the way for sweepers or cleaners. Capitalizing on the switches it forces to set up with Nasty Plot is a good idea if your opponent has an answer to Electric-types that Thundurus can beat after a boost. Against more offensive teams that lack a reliable answer for it, it's more efficient to just use its coverage moves without boosting as they will still hit relatively hard thanks to the Life Orb boost. Due to its subpar bulk, it Thundurus shouldn't be brought in on attacks because taking any kind of damage would limit its breaking potential.

Team Options
========

Sweepers and cleaners that appreciate the wallbreaking capabilities of Thundurus make for good partners. Some examples are Ash Greninja Ash-Greninja, Choice Scarf Garchomp, and Keldeo because they can all take advantage of Thundurus softening bulky Grass-types that would otherwise stop them on in their tracks as well as the and putting pressure it puts on some miscellaneous Pokemon such as Celesteela and Tapu Fini. Hazard control is mandatory, (AC) since it will give Thundurus an easier time setting up and will prevent it from dying fainting from Life Orb recoil after taking a some prior damage. Therefore, Pokemon such as Mega Scizor, Tapu Fini, (AC) and Latios make for good partners. Its Thundurus's subpar bulk doesn't let it switch prevents it from switching into attacks during a match without compromising its sweeping capabilities, making VoltTurn support from the likes of Mega Scizor, defensive Landorus-T, (AC) and Assault Vest Magearna very useful. (remove break) Even though its Thundurus's Speed is relatively high, it finds itself easily revenge killed by faster threats such as Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Choice Scarf Keldeo, which are pretty common on Offensive offensive teams. Therefore, Pokemon that can pivot into these threats safely like Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, (AC) and Assault Vest Magearna help it improve its Offence match-up offense matchup.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Thunderbolt is its Thundurus's best STAB option, with enough power to threaten most neutral targets thanks to the Life Orb boost. Knock Off is a great utility move that removes item items from the likes of Assault Vest Magearna, Assault Vest Tnagrowth, and Chansey, (RC) while also OHKO'ing OHKOing Latios and Marowak-Alola Alolan Marowak after Stealth Rock damage. Its high base-power Base Power also makes it a decently spammable move if it gets a Defiant boost from an opposing Defog. Superpower lets it Thundurus further pressure Chansey and gives it crucial Fighting-type coverage move against Ferrothorn, Heatran, Tyranitar, and Kyurem-B. Hidden Power Ice does massive damage against the most common Ground-types in the tier,: Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Garchomp, that which otherwise prevent it from spamming Thunderbolt.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment with a positive nature is mandatory on a fast offensive Pokemon like Thundurus, letting it outspeed everything in the 110 Speed tier and below (maybe mention some examples of Pokemon in that speed tier here, this tells the reader nothing). 68 Attack EVs give Knock Off enough power to OHKO Latios and Marowak-A Alolan Marowak after Stealth Rock damage, with while the remaining EVs are invested in Special Attack to power up Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice. Life Orb is mandatory on this set for maximum damage output. A Defiant nature lets it Thundurus punish opposing Defog by boosting its own Attack by 2 Stages stages, thus making its Knock Offs hit significantly harder.

Usage Tips
========

Unlike the Nasty Plot set, this set can't punish switchins switch-ins with a boosted attack boosting move, so proper prediction is required in order for it to wallbreak efficiently. If there's a specially defensive wall on the opposing team, Knock Off is usually the go-to move, as it will either remove its Assault Vest in the case of Tangrowth and Magearna, (RC) or its Eviolite in the case of Chansey. Abusing its Taking advantage of Thundurus's Defiant ability also gives it more wallbreaking potential due to how scary a +2 Knock Off is, so it should try to switch directly into passive Defog users like Mew and Tapu Fini. However, switching Switching into more agressive aggressive hazard removers like Latios isn't adviced advised though because they could predict the Thundurus to switch in and OHKO it with an attack.

Team Options
========

This set is suited to more offensive playstyle playstyles with hazard stacking cores because of its ability to punish Defog users. Therefore, Stealth Rock and Spikes setters like Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, Garchomp, and Greninja make for good partners. Suicide leads such as Excadrill and Azelf are also good options depending on the team's playstyle, as Hyper Offensive hyper offensive teams appreciate how Thundurus keeps the momentum with its Defiant ability. Smeargle gets a special mention for its ability to set up Sticky Webs Sticky Web for Thundurus, slowing down the opposing team and making it harder to revenge kill. Without Nasty Plot, Thundurus finds itself unable to pose a threat to bulkier teams with reliable checks to it. For that reason, it is a good idea to pair it with Balance balance breakers like Swords Dance Tapu Bulu and Mawile.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An alternative mixed set can be used with Thunderbolt / Fly / Knock Off / Superpower with a Flynium-Z and Flyinium Z in order to further abuse take advantage of (this isn't what abuse actually means) Defiant boosts with a strong STAB Z-Move that hits most of its Thundurus's defensive switchins switch-ins for a lot of damage. It Thundurus can make use of its Prankster ability with moves such as Taunt and Thunder Wave that appreciate the increased priority, though giving up either Nasty Plot or a coverage move for one of these situational moves isn't adviced advised. Hidden Power Flying hits bulky Grass-types for more damage than Hidden Power Ice thanks to the STAB boost, allowing Thundurus to OHKO Tangrowth, Amoongus, and Mega-Venusaur Mega Venusaur after a Nasty Plot boost as well as Marowak-Alola Alolan Marowak. While this ensures it won't take any kind of damage from them, it also limits its coverage options because it won't be able to run Hidden Power Ice anymore, meaning it will struggle against Zygarde, Landorus-T, (AC) and Garchomp. Fightinium Z can be used alongside Hidden Power Flying for a strong neutral move against bulky Ground-types that would stomach Hidden Power Ice (is this correct?) easily as well as a one time one-time accurate Fighting-type move in a pinch. Incinerate is an alternative to Focus Blast to guarantee an OHKO against Mega Scizor after Stealth Rock damage while still hitting one of its main targets in Ferrothorn for the same damage with the added bonus of perfect accuracy. Finally, Grass Knot is another coverage option that hits some bulky Ground-types harder for significantly more damage than Hidden Power Ice, such as Hippowdon, Quagsire, and Gastrodon for significantly more damage than Hidden Power Ice, although they aren't common enough to warrant using a moveslot just for them.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Hippowdon, Gastrodon, Mamoswine, and Quagsire are all immune to Thunderbolt and take very little from Hidden Power Ice, making for reliable switch-ins, as they only fearing fear the rare Grass Knot. While Mamoswine must be wary of taking a Focus Blast as it switches into it Thundurus, it can heavily cripple it in a 1v1 situation with its Ice Shard. Quagsire in particular ignores Nasty Plot boosts thanks to its ability making it a very reliable counter.

**Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types such as Tangrowth, Amoongus, and Mega-Venusaur Mega Venusaur resist Thunderbolt and can take even +2 Hidden Power Ice due to their high special bulk. However, they are all 2HKO'd 2HKOed by Hidden Power Flying.

**Marowak-Alola Alolan Marowak**: Lightning Rod grants it Alolan Marowak an immunity to Thunderbolt, which in combination with its Fire/Ghost Fire / Ghost typing allows it to completely wall Nasty Plot sets lacking Hidden Power Flying. Its Stealth Rock weakness combined with the fact that mixed sets threaten it with a Knock Off makes it a less reliable answer (less reliable than what?), combined with the fact that mixed sets threaten it with a Knock Off.

**Faster Pokemon**: Naturally faster Pokemon and Choice Scarf users such as Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Choice Scarf Garchomp outspeed it Thundurus and threaten to OHKO it.

**Chansey**: Due to its immense Special bulk, it Chansey can easily take any unboosted attack and is only 2HKOd 2HKOed by the unreliable Focus Blast after a boost, thus making it a good answer to Nasty Plot sets because it will always get a Toxic on it them. It still needs to watch out for a mixed set because getting its Eviolite removed by Knock Off severely cripples its bulk and makes it more susceptible to Superpower.

Nice writing overall, mostly just forme name issues.

GP 1/2

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
Leooo_33
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]
(remove space)
Thundurus is a fearsome wallbreaker in the OU metagame thanks to its good offensive stats on both sides of the spectrum, allowing it to run special and mixed sets. Its above average Speed tier lets it outpace some dangerous threats such as Keldeo, Gengar, Mega Medicham, and Mega Pinsir, thus making it harder to revenge kill. It has access to a great boosting move in Nasty Plot, which, in combination with its wide movepool, lets it threaten defensive teams. An unfortunate weakness to Stealth Rock as well as subpar bulk make it harder for it Thundurus to set up with Nasty Plot unpunished, thus limiting its breaking capabilities. It faces competition from Tapu Koko as an offensive Electic-type Electric-type due to the latter's its stronger STAB moves and superior Speed despite its Thundurus's (is this what you meant?) balance breaking potential. Its abilities don't help it much either outside of niche sets like Prankster Thunder Wave and mixed sets with Defiant.
(remove space)
[SET]
move 3: Hidden Power [Ice] Hidden Power Ice

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Nasty Plot is Thundurus' Thundurus's main niche, allowing it to boost its already high Special Attack by 2 stages and break past some of its defensive answers such as Tangrowth, Hippowdon, and Amoongus. Thunderbolt is its most reliable STAB move, dealing a good amount of damage even on neutral targets thanks to the Life Orb boost and dents denting them severely after a Nasty Plot boost (this right?). Hidden Power Ice hits the Ground- and Grass-type Pokemon that either resist or are immune to Thunderbolt such as Landorus-T, Zygarde, Garchomp, Tangrowth, and Tapu Bulu for super effective damage. Focus Blast rounds out Thundurus' Thundurus's coverage, (AC) hitting Steel-types that don't take super effective damage from the combination of Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice such as Ferrothorn, Magnezone, and Excadrill. It also allows it to muscle past Chansey, the specially bulkiest Pokemon in the tier, after a Nasty Plot boost, although it won't stop it Chansey (little unclear what you're talking about otherwise) from using Toxic on it. Sludge Wave is a nice option as a fourth coverage move to hit Tapu Koko trying to switch into a predicted Thunderbolt as well as some Grass-types like Tangrowth and Tapu Bulu and Fairy-types such as Clefable and Tapu Lele.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment with a Timid nature allows it Thundurus to hit as hard as possible while outspeeding the crowded base 110 Speed tier with Pokemon such as Gengar and Latios. Life Orb is the prefered preferred item, as it lets Thundurus hit relatively hard even when unboosted, thus making it a bigger threat to offensive teams.

Usage Tips
========

This set excels best as an early- to or mid-game breaker against bulkier teams, being able to threaten its defensive answers with boosted attacks and paving the way for sweepers or cleaners. Capitalizing on the switches it forces to set up with Nasty Plot is a good idea if your opponent has an answer to Electric-types that Thundurus can beat after a boost. Against more offensive teams that lack a reliable answer for it, it's more efficient to just use its coverage moves without boosting as they will still hit relatively hard thanks to the Life Orb boost. Due to its subpar bulk, it Thundurus shouldn't be brought in on attacks because taking any kind of damage would limit its breaking potential.

Team Options
========

Sweepers and cleaners that appreciate the wallbreaking capabilities of Thundurus make for good partners. Some examples are Ash Greninja Ash-Greninja, Choice Scarf Garchomp, and Keldeo because they can all take advantage of Thundurus softening bulky Grass-types that would otherwise stop them on in their tracks as well as the and putting pressure it puts on some miscellaneous Pokemon such as Celesteela and Tapu Fini. Hazard control is mandatory, (AC) since it will give Thundurus an easier time setting up and will prevent it from dying fainting from Life Orb recoil after taking a some prior damage. Therefore, Pokemon such as Mega Scizor, Tapu Fini, (AC) and Latios make for good partners. Its Thundurus's subpar bulk doesn't let it switch prevents it from switching into attacks during a match without compromising its sweeping capabilities, making VoltTurn support from the likes of Mega Scizor, defensive Landorus-T, (AC) and Assault Vest Magearna very useful. (remove break) Even though its Thundurus's Speed is relatively high, it finds itself easily revenge killed by faster threats such as Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Choice Scarf Keldeo, which are pretty common on Offensive offensive teams. Therefore, Pokemon that can pivot into these threats safely like Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, (AC) and Assault Vest Magearna help it improve its Offence match-up offense matchup.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Thunderbolt is its Thundurus's best STAB option, with enough power to threaten most neutral targets thanks to the Life Orb boost. Knock Off is a great utility move that removes item items from the likes of Assault Vest Magearna, Assault Vest Tnagrowth, and Chansey, (RC) while also OHKO'ing OHKOing Latios and Marowak-Alola Alolan Marowak after Stealth Rock damage. Its high base-power Base Power also makes it a decently spammable move if it gets a Defiant boost from an opposing Defog. Superpower lets it Thundurus further pressure Chansey and gives it crucial Fighting-type coverage move against Ferrothorn, Heatran, Tyranitar, and Kyurem-B. Hidden Power Ice does massive damage against the most common Ground-types in the tier,: Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Garchomp, that which otherwise prevent it from spamming Thunderbolt.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment with a positive nature is mandatory on a fast offensive Pokemon like Thundurus, letting it outspeed everything in the 110 Speed tier and below (maybe mention some examples of Pokemon in that speed tier here, this tells the reader nothing). 68 Attack EVs give Knock Off enough power to OHKO Latios and Marowak-A Alolan Marowak after Stealth Rock damage, with while the remaining EVs are invested in Special Attack to power up Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice. Life Orb is mandatory on this set for maximum damage output. A Defiant nature lets it Thundurus punish opposing Defog by boosting its own Attack by 2 Stages stages, thus making its Knock Offs hit significantly harder.

Usage Tips
========

Unlike the Nasty Plot set, this set can't punish switchins switch-ins with a boosted attack boosting move, so proper prediction is required in order for it to wallbreak efficiently. If there's a specially defensive wall on the opposing team, Knock Off is usually the go-to move, as it will either remove its Assault Vest in the case of Tangrowth and Magearna, (RC) or its Eviolite in the case of Chansey. Abusing its Taking advantage of Thundurus's Defiant ability also gives it more wallbreaking potential due to how scary a +2 Knock Off is, so it should try to switch directly into passive Defog users like Mew and Tapu Fini. However, switching Switching into more agressive aggressive hazard removers like Latios isn't adviced advised though because they could predict the Thundurus to switch in and OHKO it with an attack.

Team Options
========

This set is suited to more offensive playstyle playstyles with hazard stacking cores because of its ability to punish Defog users. Therefore, Stealth Rock and Spikes setters like Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, Garchomp, and Greninja make for good partners. Suicide leads such as Excadrill and Azelf are also good options depending on the team's playstyle, as Hyper Offensive hyper offensive teams appreciate how Thundurus keeps the momentum with its Defiant ability. Smeargle gets a special mention for its ability to set up Sticky Webs Sticky Web for Thundurus, slowing down the opposing team and making it harder to revenge kill. Without Nasty Plot, Thundurus finds itself unable to pose a threat to bulkier teams with reliable checks to it. For that reason, it is a good idea to pair it with Balance balance breakers like Swords Dance Tapu Bulu and Mawile.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An alternative mixed set can be used with Thunderbolt / Fly / Knock Off / Superpower with a Flynium-Z and Flyinium Z in order to further abuse take advantage of (this isn't what abuse actually means) Defiant boosts with a strong STAB Z-Move that hits most of its Thundurus's defensive switchins switch-ins for a lot of damage. It Thundurus can make use of its Prankster ability with moves such as Taunt and Thunder Wave that appreciate the increased priority, though giving up either Nasty Plot or a coverage move for one of these situational moves isn't adviced advised. Hidden Power Flying hits bulky Grass-types for more damage than Hidden Power Ice thanks to the STAB boost, allowing Thundurus to OHKO Tangrowth, Amoongus, and Mega-Venusaur Mega Venusaur after a Nasty Plot boost as well as Marowak-Alola Alolan Marowak. While this ensures it won't take any kind of damage from them, it also limits its coverage options because it won't be able to run Hidden Power Ice anymore, meaning it will struggle against Zygarde, Landorus-T, (AC) and Garchomp. Fightinium Z can be used alongside Hidden Power Flying for a strong neutral move against bulky Ground-types that would stomach Hidden Power Ice (is this correct?) easily as well as a one time one-time accurate Fighting-type move in a pinch. Incinerate is an alternative to Focus Blast to guarantee an OHKO against Mega Scizor after Stealth Rock damage while still hitting one of its main targets in Ferrothorn for the same damage with the added bonus of perfect accuracy. Finally, Grass Knot is another coverage option that hits some bulky Ground-types harder for significantly more damage than Hidden Power Ice, such as Hippowdon, Quagsire, and Gastrodon for significantly more damage than Hidden Power Ice, although they aren't common enough to warrant using a moveslot just for them.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Hippowdon, Gastrodon, Mamoswine, and Quagsire are all immune to Thunderbolt and take very little from Hidden Power Ice, making for reliable switch-ins, as they only fearing fear the rare Grass Knot. While Mamoswine must be wary of taking a Focus Blast as it switches into it Thundurus, it can heavily cripple it in a 1v1 situation with its Ice Shard. Quagsire in particular ignores Nasty Plot boosts thanks to its ability making it a very reliable counter.

**Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types such as Tangrowth, Amoongus, and Mega-Venusaur Mega Venusaur resist Thunderbolt and can take even +2 Hidden Power Ice due to their high special bulk. However, they are all 2HKO'd 2HKOed by Hidden Power Flying.

**Marowak-Alola Alolan Marowak**: Lightning Rod grants it Alolan Marowak an immunity to Thunderbolt, which in combination with its Fire/Ghost Fire / Ghost typing allows it to completely wall Nasty Plot sets lacking Hidden Power Flying. Its Stealth Rock weakness combined with the fact that mixed sets threaten it with a Knock Off makes it a less reliable answer (less reliable than what?), combined with the fact that mixed sets threaten it with a Knock Off.

**Faster Pokemon**: Naturally faster Pokemon and Choice Scarf users such as Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Choice Scarf Garchomp outspeed it Thundurus and threaten to OHKO it.

**Chansey**: Due to its immense Special bulk, it Chansey can easily take any unboosted attack and is only 2HKOd 2HKOed by the unreliable Focus Blast after a boost, thus making it a good answer to Nasty Plot sets because it will always get a Toxic on it them. It still needs to watch out for a mixed set because getting its Eviolite removed by Knock Off severely cripples its bulk and makes it more susceptible to Superpower.

Nice writing overall, mostly just forme name issues.

GP 1/2
Implemented, thanks for the check! I'll keep this in mind for future analyses :]

Reactions: Wob
Additions
Removals
Comments
[OVERVIEW]

Thundurus is a fearsome wallbreaker in the OU metagame thanks to its good offensive stats stats, on both sides of the spectrum, allowing it to run special and mixed sets. Its above average Speed tier lets it outpace some dangerous threats such as Keldeo, Gengar, Mega Medicham, and Mega Pinsir, thus making it harder fairly hard ( i think its better to leave it in absolute terms since we're not comparing it to anything else ) to revenge kill. It has access to a great boosting move in Nasty Plot, which, in combination with its wide movepool, lets it threaten defensive teams. However, an An unfortunate weakness to Stealth Rock as well as subpar bulk make it harder hard for Thundurus to set up with Nasty Plot unpunished, thus limiting its breaking sweeping (Comment: or wallbreaking if you want to be more specific ) capabilities. Despite Thundurus's balance-breaking potential, It it faces competition from Tapu Koko as an offensive Electric-type due to the its latter's stronger STAB moves and superior Speed. Speed despite Thundurus's balance breaking potential. Its abilities don't help it much either outside of niche sets like Prankster Thunder Wave and mixed sets with Defiant.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Nasty Plot is Thundurus's main niche, allowing it to boost its already high Special Attack by 2 two stages and break past some of its usual defensive answers such as Tangrowth, Hippowdon, and Amoongus. Thunderbolt is its most reliable STAB move, dealing a good amount of damage even on neutral targets thanks to the Life Orb boost and denting them severely after a Nasty Plot boost. Hidden Power Ice hits the Ground- and Grass-type Pokemon that either resist or are immune to Thunderbolt Thunderbolt, such as Landorus-T, Zygarde, Garchomp, Tangrowth, and Tapu Bulu Bulu, for super effective damage. Focus Blast rounds out Thundurus's coverage, hitting Steel-types that don't take super effective damage from the combination of Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice such as Ferrothorn, Magnezone, and Excadrill. It also allows it to muscle past Chansey, the specially bulkiest Pokemon in the tier, after a Nasty Plot boost, although it won't stop Chansey from using Toxic on it. Sludge Wave is a nice option as a fourth coverage move to hit Tapu Koko trying to switch into a predicted Thunderbolt as well as some Grass-types like Tangrowth and Tapu Bulu and Fairy-types such as Clefable and Tapu Lele.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment with a Timid nature allows Thundurus to hit as hard as possible while outspeeding the crowded base 110 Speed tier crowded with Pokemon such as Gengar and Latios. Life Orb is the preferred item, as it lets Thundurus hit relatively hard even when unboosted, thus making it a bigger threat to offensive teams.

Usage Tips
========

This set excels best as an early- or mid-game breaker wallbreaker against bulkier teams, being able to threaten its defensive answers with boosted attacks and paving the way for sweepers or cleaners. Capitalizing on the switches it Thundurus forces to set up with Nasty Plot is a good idea if your opponent has an answer to Electric-types that Thundurus can beat after a boost. Against more offensive teams that lack a reliable answer for it, it's more efficient to just use its coverage moves without boosting as they will still hit relatively hard thanks to the Life Orb boost. Due to its subpar bulk, Thundurus shouldn't be brought in on attacks because taking any kind of damage would limit its breaking potential.

Team Options
========

Sweepers and cleaners that appreciate the Thundurus's wallbreaking capabilities of Thundurus make for good partners. Some examples are Ash-Greninja, Choice Scarf Garchomp, and Keldeo because they can all take advantage of Thundurus softening bulky Grass-types that would otherwise stop them in their tracks and putting pressure on some miscellaneous Pokemon such as Celesteela and Tapu Fini. Hazard control from partners such as Mega Scizor, Tapu Fini, and Latios is mandatory, since it will give Thundurus an easier time setting up and prevent it from fainting from Life Orb recoil after taking some prior damage. Therefore, Pokemon such as Mega Scizor, Tapu Fini, and Latios make for good partners. Thundurus's subpar bulk prevents it from switching into attacks during a match without compromising its sweeping capabilities, making VoltTurn support from the likes of Mega Scizor, defensive Landorus-T, and Assault Vest Magearna very useful. Even though Thundurus's Speed is relatively high, it finds itself easily revenge killed by faster threats such as Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Choice Scarf Keldeo, which are pretty common on offensive teams. Therefore, Pokemon that can pivot into these threats safely like Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, (AC) and Assault Vest Magearna help it improve its offense matchup.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Thunderbolt is Thundurus's best STAB option, with enough power to threaten most neutral targets thanks to the Life Orb boost. Knock Off is a great utility move that removes items from the likes of Assault Vest Magearna, Assault Vest Tnagrowth, and Chansey, while also OHKOing Latios and Alolan Marowak after Stealth Rock damage. Its high Base Power also makes it a decently spammable move if it gets a Defiant boost from an opposing Defog. Superpower lets Thundurus further pressure Chansey and gives it crucial Fighting-type coverage move against Ferrothorn, Heatran, Tyranitar, and Kyurem-B. Hidden Power Ice does massive damage against the most common Ground-types in the tier: Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Garchomp, which otherwise prevent it from spamming Thunderbolt.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment with a positive nature is mandatory on a fast offensive Pokemon like Thundurus, letting it outspeed everything in the 110 Speed tier and below, where Pokemon like Keldeo and Latios lie. 68 Attack EVs give Knock Off enough power to OHKO Latios and Alolan Marowak after Stealth Rock damage, while the remaining EVs are invested in Special Attack to power up Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice. Life Orb is mandatory on this set for maximum damage output. Defiant lets Thundurus punish opposing Defog by boosting its own Attack by 2 two stages, making its Knock Offs Off hit significantly harder.

Usage Tips
========

Unlike the Nasty Plot set, this This set can't punish switch-ins with a boosting move, so proper prediction is required in order for it to wallbreak efficiently. If there's a specially defensive wall on the opposing team, Knock Off is usually the go-to move, as it will either remove its Assault Vest in the case of Tangrowth and Magearna or its Eviolite in the case of Chansey. Taking advantage of Thundurus's Defiant ability also gives it more wallbreaking potential due to how scary a +2 Knock Off is, so it should try to switch directly into passive Defog users like Mew and Tapu Fini. However, switching into more aggressive hazard removers like Latios isn't advised because they could predict Thundurus to switch in and OHKO it with an attack.

Team Options
========

This set is suited to more offensive playstyles with hazard stacking hazard-stacking cores because of its ability to punish Defog users. Therefore, users, so Stealth Rock and Spikes setters like Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, Garchomp, and Greninja make for good partners. Suicide leads such as Excadrill and Azelf are also good options depending on the team's playstyle, as hyper offensive teams appreciate how Thundurus keeps the momentum up with its Defiant ability. Smeargle gets a special mention for its ability to set up Sticky Web for Thundurus, slowing down the opposing team and making it harder to revenge kill. Without Nasty Plot, Thundurus finds itself unable to pose a threat to bulkier teams with reliable checks to it. For that reason, it is a good idea to pair it with balance breakers like Swords Dance Tapu Bulu and Mawile.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An alternative mixed set can be used with Thunderbolt / Fly / Knock Off / Superpower and Flyinium Z in order to further take advantage of Defiant boosts with a strong STAB Z-Move that hits most of Thundurus's defensive switch-ins for a lot of damage. Thundurus can make use of its Prankster ability with moves such as Taunt and Thunder Wave that appreciate the increased priority, though giving up either Nasty Plot or a coverage move for one of these situational moves isn't advised. Hidden Power Flying hits bulky Grass-types for more damage than Hidden Power Ice thanks to the STAB boost, allowing Thundurus to OHKO Tangrowth, Amoongus, and Mega Venusaur after a Nasty Plot boost as well as Alolan Marowak. While this ensures it won't take any kind of damage from them, it also limits its coverage options because it won't be able to run Hidden Power Ice anymore, meaning it will struggle against Zygarde, Landorus-T, (AC) and Garchomp. Fightinium Z can be used alongside Hidden Power Flying for a strong neutral move against bulky Ground-types that would stomach Hidden Power Ice easily as well as a one-time accurate Fighting-type move. Incinerate is an alternative to Focus Blast to guarantee an OHKO against Mega Scizor after Stealth Rock damage while still hitting one of its main targets in Ferrothorn for the same damage with the added bonus of perfect accuracy. Finally, Grass Knot is another coverage option that hits some bulky Ground-types for significantly more damage than Hidden Power Ice, such as Hippowdon, Quagsire, and Gastrodon, although they aren't common enough to warrant using a moveslot just for them.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Hippowdon, Gastrodon, Mamoswine, and Quagsire are all immune to Thunderbolt and take very little from Hidden Power Ice, making for reliable switch-ins, as they only fear the rare Grass Knot. While Mamoswine must be wary of taking a Focus Blast as it switches into Thundurus, it can heavily cripple it in a 1v1 situation with Ice Shard. Quagsire in particular ignores Nasty Plot boosts thanks to its ability ability, making it a very reliable counter.

**Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types such as Tangrowth, Amoongus, and Mega Venusaur resist Thunderbolt and can take even +2 Hidden Power Ice due to their high special bulk. However, they are all 2HKOed by Hidden Power Flying.

**Alolan Marowak**: Lightning Rod grants Alolan Marowak an immunity to Thunderbolt, which in combination with its Fire / Ghost typing allows it to completely wall Nasty Plot sets lacking Hidden Power Flying. Its However, its Stealth Rock weakness combined with the fact that mixed sets threaten it with a Knock Off makes it an unreliable answer.

**Faster Pokemon**: Naturally faster Pokemon and Choice Scarf users such as Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Choice Scarf Garchomp outspeed Thundurus and threaten to OHKO it.

**Chansey**: Due to its immense Special special bulk, Chansey can easily take any unboosted attack and is only 2HKOed by the unreliable Focus Blast after a boost, thus making it a good answer to Nasty Plot sets because it will always get a Toxic on them. It still needs to watch out for a mixed set because getting its Eviolite removed by Knock Off severely cripples its bulk and makes it more susceptible to Superpower.

2/2

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
:toast::toast:
Additions
Removals
Comments
[OVERVIEW]

Thundurus is a fearsome wallbreaker in the OU metagame thanks to its good offensive stats stats, on both sides of the spectrum, allowing it to run special and mixed sets. Its above average Speed tier lets it outpace some dangerous threats such as Keldeo, Gengar, Mega Medicham, and Mega Pinsir, thus making it harder fairly hard ( i think its better to leave it in absolute terms since we're not comparing it to anything else ) to revenge kill. It has access to a great boosting move in Nasty Plot, which, in combination with its wide movepool, lets it threaten defensive teams. However, an An unfortunate weakness to Stealth Rock as well as subpar bulk make it harder hard for Thundurus to set up with Nasty Plot unpunished, thus limiting its breaking sweeping (Comment: or wallbreaking if you want to be more specific ) capabilities. Despite Thundurus's balance-breaking potential, It it faces competition from Tapu Koko as an offensive Electric-type due to the its latter's stronger STAB moves and superior Speed. Speed despite Thundurus's balance breaking potential. Its abilities don't help it much either outside of niche sets like Prankster Thunder Wave and mixed sets with Defiant.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Nasty Plot is Thundurus's main niche, allowing it to boost its already high Special Attack by 2 two stages and break past some of its usual defensive answers such as Tangrowth, Hippowdon, and Amoongus. Thunderbolt is its most reliable STAB move, dealing a good amount of damage even on neutral targets thanks to the Life Orb boost and denting them severely after a Nasty Plot boost. Hidden Power Ice hits the Ground- and Grass-type Pokemon that either resist or are immune to Thunderbolt Thunderbolt, such as Landorus-T, Zygarde, Garchomp, Tangrowth, and Tapu Bulu Bulu, for super effective damage. Focus Blast rounds out Thundurus's coverage, hitting Steel-types that don't take super effective damage from the combination of Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice such as Ferrothorn, Magnezone, and Excadrill. It also allows it to muscle past Chansey, the specially bulkiest Pokemon in the tier, after a Nasty Plot boost, although it won't stop Chansey from using Toxic on it. Sludge Wave is a nice option as a fourth coverage move to hit Tapu Koko trying to switch into a predicted Thunderbolt as well as some Grass-types like Tangrowth and Tapu Bulu and Fairy-types such as Clefable and Tapu Lele.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment with a Timid nature allows Thundurus to hit as hard as possible while outspeeding the crowded base 110 Speed tier crowded with Pokemon such as Gengar and Latios. Life Orb is the preferred item, as it lets Thundurus hit relatively hard even when unboosted, thus making it a bigger threat to offensive teams.

Usage Tips
========

This set excels best as an early- or mid-game breaker wallbreaker against bulkier teams, being able to threaten its defensive answers with boosted attacks and paving the way for sweepers or cleaners. Capitalizing on the switches it Thundurus forces to set up with Nasty Plot is a good idea if your opponent has an answer to Electric-types that Thundurus can beat after a boost. Against more offensive teams that lack a reliable answer for it, it's more efficient to just use its coverage moves without boosting as they will still hit relatively hard thanks to the Life Orb boost. Due to its subpar bulk, Thundurus shouldn't be brought in on attacks because taking any kind of damage would limit its breaking potential.

Team Options
========

Sweepers and cleaners that appreciate the Thundurus's wallbreaking capabilities of Thundurus make for good partners. Some examples are Ash-Greninja, Choice Scarf Garchomp, and Keldeo because they can all take advantage of Thundurus softening bulky Grass-types that would otherwise stop them in their tracks and putting pressure on some miscellaneous Pokemon such as Celesteela and Tapu Fini. Hazard control from partners such as Mega Scizor, Tapu Fini, and Latios is mandatory, since it will give Thundurus an easier time setting up and prevent it from fainting from Life Orb recoil after taking some prior damage. Therefore, Pokemon such as Mega Scizor, Tapu Fini, and Latios make for good partners. Thundurus's subpar bulk prevents it from switching into attacks during a match without compromising its sweeping capabilities, making VoltTurn support from the likes of Mega Scizor, defensive Landorus-T, and Assault Vest Magearna very useful. Even though Thundurus's Speed is relatively high, it finds itself easily revenge killed by faster threats such as Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Choice Scarf Keldeo, which are pretty common on offensive teams. Therefore, Pokemon that can pivot into these threats safely like Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, (AC) and Assault Vest Magearna help it improve its offense matchup.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment with a positive nature is mandatory on a fast offensive Pokemon like Thundurus, letting it outspeed everything in the 110 Speed tier and below, where Pokemon like Keldeo and Latios lie. 68 Attack EVs give Knock Off enough power to OHKO Latios and Alolan Marowak after Stealth Rock damage, while the remaining EVs are invested in Special Attack to power up Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice. Life Orb is mandatory on this set for maximum damage output. Defiant lets Thundurus punish opposing Defog by boosting its own Attack by 2 two stages, making its Knock Offs Off hit significantly harder.

Usage Tips
========

Unlike the Nasty Plot set, this This set can't punish switch-ins with a boosting move, so proper prediction is required in order for it to wallbreak efficiently. If there's a specially defensive wall on the opposing team, Knock Off is usually the go-to move, as it will either remove its Assault Vest in the case of Tangrowth and Magearna or its Eviolite in the case of Chansey. Taking advantage of Thundurus's Defiant ability also gives it more wallbreaking potential due to how scary a +2 Knock Off is, so it should try to switch directly into passive Defog users like Mew and Tapu Fini. However, switching into more aggressive hazard removers like Latios isn't advised because they could predict Thundurus to switch in and OHKO it with an attack.

Team Options
========

This set is suited to more offensive playstyles with hazard stacking hazard-stacking cores because of its ability to punish Defog users. Therefore, users, so Stealth Rock and Spikes setters like Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, Garchomp, and Greninja make for good partners. Suicide leads such as Excadrill and Azelf are also good options depending on the team's playstyle, as hyper offensive teams appreciate how Thundurus keeps the momentum up with its Defiant ability. Smeargle gets a special mention for its ability to set up Sticky Web for Thundurus, slowing down the opposing team and making it harder to revenge kill. Without Nasty Plot, Thundurus finds itself unable to pose a threat to bulkier teams with reliable checks to it. For that reason, it is a good idea to pair it with balance breakers like Swords Dance Tapu Bulu and Mawile.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An alternative mixed set can be used with Thunderbolt / Fly / Knock Off / Superpower and Flyinium Z in order to further take advantage of Defiant boosts with a strong STAB Z-Move that hits most of Thundurus's defensive switch-ins for a lot of damage. Thundurus can make use of its Prankster ability with moves such as Taunt and Thunder Wave that appreciate the increased priority, though giving up either Nasty Plot or a coverage move for one of these situational moves isn't advised. Hidden Power Flying hits bulky Grass-types for more damage than Hidden Power Ice thanks to the STAB boost, allowing Thundurus to OHKO Tangrowth, Amoongus, and Mega Venusaur after a Nasty Plot boost as well as Alolan Marowak. While this ensures it won't take any kind of damage from them, it also limits its coverage options because it won't be able to run Hidden Power Ice anymore, meaning it will struggle against Zygarde, Landorus-T, (AC) and Garchomp. Fightinium Z can be used alongside Hidden Power Flying for a strong neutral move against bulky Ground-types that would stomach Hidden Power Ice easily as well as a one-time accurate Fighting-type move. Incinerate is an alternative to Focus Blast to guarantee an OHKO against Mega Scizor after Stealth Rock damage while still hitting one of its main targets in Ferrothorn for the same damage with the added bonus of perfect accuracy. Finally, Grass Knot is another coverage option that hits some bulky Ground-types for significantly more damage than Hidden Power Ice, such as Hippowdon, Quagsire, and Gastrodon, although they aren't common enough to warrant using a moveslot just for them.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Hippowdon, Gastrodon, Mamoswine, and Quagsire are all immune to Thunderbolt and take very little from Hidden Power Ice, making for reliable switch-ins, as they only fear the rare Grass Knot. While Mamoswine must be wary of taking a Focus Blast as it switches into Thundurus, it can heavily cripple it in a 1v1 situation with Ice Shard. Quagsire in particular ignores Nasty Plot boosts thanks to its ability ability, making it a very reliable counter.

**Alolan Marowak**: Lightning Rod grants Alolan Marowak an immunity to Thunderbolt, which in combination with its Fire / Ghost typing allows it to completely wall Nasty Plot sets lacking Hidden Power Flying. Its However, its Stealth Rock weakness combined with the fact that mixed sets threaten it with a Knock Off makes it an unreliable answer.

**Chansey**: Due to its immense Special special bulk, Chansey can easily take any unboosted attack and is only 2HKOed by the unreliable Focus Blast after a boost, thus making it a good answer to Nasty Plot sets because it will always get a Toxic on them. It still needs to watch out for a mixed set because getting its Eviolite removed by Knock Off severely cripples its bulk and makes it more susceptible to Superpower.

2/2
Thanks and implemented, this is done. Thanks to everyone :toast:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)