Thundurus

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

HP: 79
Atk: 115
Def: 70
SpA:125
SpDef: 80
Spe: 111

Abilities:
Prankster: Status category moves have their Speed Priority increased by 1
Dreamworld:
Defiant: Attack is raised by two stages when the Pokémon has its stats lowered

Code:
[B]Level-Up Moves[/B]
Lv1 Uproar
Lv1 Astonish
Lv1 Thundershock
Lv7 Swagger
Lv13 Bite
Lv19 Revenge
Lv25 Shock Wave
Lv31 Heal Block
Lv37 Agility
Lv43 Discharge
Lv49 Crunch
Lv55 Charge
Lv61 Nasty Plot
Lv67 Thunder
Lv73 Dark Pulse
Lv79 Hammer Arm
Lv85 Thrash

[B]TM/HMs Learned[/B]
TM06 Toxic
TM08 Bulk Up
TM10 Hidden Power
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM23 Smack Down
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM52 Focus Blast
TM56 Fling
TM57 Charge Beam
TM58 Sky Drop
TM59 Incinerate
TM63 Embargo
TM66 Payback
TM68 Giga Impact
TM72 Volt Switch
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM89 U-Turn
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM93 Wild Charge
TM94 Rock Smash
HM02 Fly
HM04 Strength

GBU Singles Sets
Thundurus @ Leftovers / Life Orb
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Ability: Prankster
- Thunderbolt / Thunder
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave / Nasty Plot

• Thunderbolt is the main slash, because it is reliable under any weather, not just the rain. However, if you're seeking more power and want a rain team, Thunder is the way to go.
  • Hidden Power Ice and Focus Blast give Thundurus the rest of the coverage it needs. These moves coupled with Thunderbolt give Thundurus the ability to be an offensive monster.
  • Thunder Wave is the main slash because of its ability to cripple threats easily. It can make Thundurus a lot more dangerous since it has priority on Thunder Wave.
  • However, if you're looking for a set up sweeper, Thundurus also has access to Nasty Plot. Giving Thundurus a +2 Attack boost on priority due to Prankster is something not to be messed with, and can be very dangerous, even lethal to those playing against it.

GBU Doubles Sets
Thundurus @ Electric Gem / Charti Berry
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Ability: Prankster
- Thunderbolt / Discharge
- Hidden Power Flying / Ice
- Protect / Substitute
- Thunder Wave

still a major WIP

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I've seen a lot of Thundurus in doubles with this moveset:

Electric Gem / Charti Berry / Leftovers
- Thunderbolt / Thunder
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt / Substitute
- Protect

Electric Gem and Charti Berry are for obvious reasons. I've also seen Leftovers + Substitute, and it's damn annoying to try to take down.

Very rarely seen any Hidden Powers or Discharge. And very rarely seen any physical movepools, which is understandable since Thundurus doesn't have a lot of good physical moves. I'd almost recommend HP Flying slashed with Thunder Wave for not only the secondary stab but for taking down pesky Grass / Fighting / Bug types.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Life Orb Hammer Arm is actually pretty cool, OHKOing Tyranitar with 36 Attack EVs, although Sash and Chople Tar mess that up.

Almost every single team I've seen him on recently has been VGC2011-compatible, but on the few that aren't I've actually seen some pseudo-zapchomping. I've used him more often than I've seen him, so I can't really give an objective account of my experiences, though. One useful thing I've noticed is that in Trick Room, especially if you use Amoonguss to help set it up, the foe's Thundurus can Substitute through several of the turns, and also absorb imminent status.

Also, Hammer Arm is cool, but the incredible number of Chople-tars screw it up a little. It has a tough time getting a spot on its moveset in Doubles, having to compete with Thunderbolt/Discharge, Hidden Power, Thunder Wave, Taunt, Protect, Substitute, etc.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Thundurus is one of the better Anti-Trick Room mons I've seen due to Taunt, and great for shutting down Whimsicott, Ferrothorn, and Amoongus as well.

Priority Substitute definitely has advantages.

Hammer Arm also has the benefit of inflicting huge damage on Bisharp, since very few I've seen carry Chople Berry. The 90% accuracy is a bit of a turn-off for me, though.

I've had some success using a physical Thundurus on GBU.

Thundurus@leftovers
jolly
216hp/168speed/126 atk
substitute
bulk up
brick break
fly

The idea was to make a semi-bulky sub+bulk up set with prankster. Thundurus may be better as a special attacker than a physical attacker, but no other pokémon does what this set does better.

The hp ev's gives an hp that is congruent to 1 modulo 16 at level 100, which is what I intended the set to be used at. This might need a slight chance for level 50 use. 168 speed ev's let it outspeed positive speed nature base 100's. Brick break and fly doesn't get priority so some extra speed is needed, I decided that base 100 was enough. The rest of the ev's were put in attack for extra power, the attack at level 100 is in the mid 290's.

Leftovers is used to recover hp, good for more substitutes and very useful against pokémon that can't break the substitute with one hit. It also works well with the stalling effect of fly.

Substitute and bulk up is a generic boosting combination (although, calm mind is more common that bulk up), no explanation should be needed for this.

Thundurus have two STAB types to choose from. The best physical move it gets from respective type is fly and wild charge. The recoil of wild charge makes me not want to use it on this specific set.
Fly is not as bad as its reputation, especially when the pokémon using it is fast and got a substitute. Even if the opponent switches out (main argument against it), Thundurus won't have been hit by a move and will have recovered 1/8 of it's maximum hp due to leftovers. The extra leftovers recovery from fly taking two turns was what made me win a game recently.

The last move is brick break, it's mainly used for coverage. Sometimes it break screens.

The main issues with the set is that it needs one bulk up to do significant damage against most pokémon and that your opponent might not bring a pokémon that it can set up against. Team preview partly solves this problem, you don't have to use it if it seems like you won't get an opportunity to set up.

I've had some success using a physical Thundurus on GBU.

Thundurus@leftovers
jolly
216hp/168speed/126 atk
substitute
bulk up
brick break
fly

The idea was to make a semi-bulky sub+bulk up set with prankster. Thundurus may be better as a special attacker than a physical attacker, but no other pokémon does what this set does better.

The hp ev's gives an hp that is congruent to 1 modulo 16 at level 100, which is what I intended the set to be used at. This might need a slight chance for level 50 use. 168 speed ev's let it outspeed positive speed nature base 100's. Brick break and fly doesn't get priority so some extra speed is needed, I decided that base 100 was enough. The rest of the ev's were put in attack for extra power, the attack at level 100 is in the mid 290's.

Leftovers is used to recover hp, good for more substitutes and very useful against pokémon that can't break the substitute with one hit. It also works well with the stalling effect of fly.

Substitute and bulk up is a generic boosting combination (although, calm mind is more common that bulk up), no explanation should be needed for this.

Thundurus have two STAB types to choose from. The best physical move it gets from respective type is fly and wild charge. The recoil of wild charge makes me not want to use it on this specific set.
Fly is not as bad as its reputation, especially when the pokémon using it is fast and got a substitute. Even if the opponent switches out (main argument against it), Thundurus won't have been hit by a move and will have recovered 1/8 of it's maximum hp due to leftovers. The extra leftovers recovery from fly taking two turns was what made me win a game recently.

The last move is brick break, it's mainly used for coverage. Sometimes it break screens.

The main issues with the set is that it needs one bulk up to do significant damage against most pokémon and that your opponent might not bring a pokémon that it can set up against. Team preview partly solves this problem, you don't have to use it if it seems like you won't get an opportunity to set up.
Why not try Wild Charge on there?

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yeah you're gonna want an electric stab there, and also make the EVs make sense for Level 50, since all of GBU is played at that, not 100.

Swagger should be slashed with Thunder Wave or HP Ice/Flying on the Doubles set. The priority is pretty cool, and the move has a multitude of uses. Give it to a partner with Lum/Persim like Meta and let them sweep. Use it on an opposing special attacker so they might damage themselves and be unable to attack. Or spam it on everything as a last ditch. Thunder Wave tends to be a fare bit better, but one could only give up an HP Ice/Flying on a bulky Thundurus.

Why not try Wild Charge on there?
yeah you're gonna want an electric stab there, and also make the EVs make sense for Level 50, since all of GBU is played at that, not 100.
Because of the recoil and I think that the coverage with fly is slightly better.
It's possible to use fly and wild charge as the offensive moves, but most pokémon it've been able to set up against have been weak to fighting (ferrothorn, audino, etc.). I haven't yet played a situation where wild charge would be a great benefit, but I have played situations where fly's extra turn have been important. Although, because it's STAB, it's a viable alternative.

About the ev's, for the hp to be congruent to 1 modulo 16, some ev's will have to be removed. I have not bothered learning exactly how the ev's and iv's translate to stats at level 50 so I can't say by how much. The ev's removed from hp should be put in sp. def so that it does not lose special bulk. Physical bulk is less important due to bulk up, but there have been situations where I use bulk up the first turn to take a physical move better and retaliates the second turn. In such situations, having good physical bulk is also important. The current hp investment have worked for me at level 50, it likely isn't ideal, but it's definitely usable because the balance between offense and defense have been good (it's good at surviving with single digit hp after one bulk up and being hit twice or trice).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)