Finals The World Cup of Pokémon 2017 - Finals [Won by Team USA East]

Status
Not open for further replies.

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
congrats east, another tough road through germany and spain to the finals and a good showing in the end. I'd say winning 3 in a row and 4 out of the last 5 puts east firmly at the top in the history of the WCOP. Embrace the villain role the community has given you guys for some reason and continue to go about your business winning games. Also retire the "passing team" motto and take one out of the Patriots book.. "hate us cause they a'int us".

p.s.: there is approx. a 0.001% chance that kev retires permanently from this game

I've been convinced by my team to post individual shout-outs, so here we go I guess. I'll do them in alphabetical order so that my strong preference for users like Pohjis doesn't become too obvious. :p

Ban Manaphy
"Who?" This may not surprise you, but I got a lot of shit from people when they saw your name pop up as I announced the official Europe squad to the public. We clicked pretty much instantly over our shared sense of humor and love of blobs, but I had never expected your role on the team to develop the way it did. You were a great team mate from the start and you definitely earned your chance in the quarter final vs. LA. The performances that followed have left their mark (and then some!) and you were comfortably one of the most exciting players participating in this tournament (for which I'll take full credit tyvm). Good luck in OLT and I cannot wait to see you dominate in Snake and SPL, too! :o

Blackoblivion
I hope you'll stop beating yourself up over your loss vs. TDK soon, because you were one of our key players throughout our run to the final. I've said this to you before and I'll say it here again: you won't go undrafted in SPL again after this. This was the tournament for you to officially establish yourself as a good-ass player and boy did you grab the opportunity with both hands. Keep dominating like you are now and good luck to you in OLT as well, my man. I can't wait for your horrible Dutch fanbase to make my eyes bleed again as they start gassing you up in the Smogtours lobby. :p

Celysi
You're somehow both the best and worst speaker of the English language on our team, and I'm not sure how that works. :blobshrug: Seriously though, these past few months were filled with a proliferation of hilarious memories and I loved having you on the team. You were always there to help out the starting players with feedback on teams and offering tests, which I appreciate more than you'll ever realize. A judicious showing, as expected. ;)

choolio
Lol kys. You've been gaining a ton of traction these past few months, so don't forget your 'day 1' when you're surrounded by all of this fame, money and the countless amounts of women. You went from being the "Bounsweet's Bouncy Adventure" world record holder and native GSC speaker to nearly winning WCoP in the wildest of fashion. Your teams could not have been more exciting and more importantly, they were spot on. Seriously, how do you do it? Having been on the same team in both SPL and WCoP now I genuinely cannot fathom how you're this good at getting the match-up exactly right. You're one of my favorite people on this website and I hope you stick around to keep me company here. It's also nice to know there's people out there that are as paranoid as I am, if not even worse. <3

H-C
I know you felt awful about not being around as much as you'd have liked to be during R1, but you came through during the latter stages. You were a nice presence throughout and your efforts during play-offs did not go unnoticed. If I ever get anywhere near Paris I'll be sure to let you know, since I don't think I wanna face the full caps wrath Metal has been dealing with ever since he dodged you when he was in Paris. :p

Isa
You were one of the people I talked to the most throughout the tournament, but perhaps even more so during the prepping stages. I know I made some pretty wild decisions in terms of overhauling the squad, but you were supportive throughout the whole process and were always there to answer any questions I had. From a playing perspective I know you're disappointed with how things went, but know that I deeply value your role on this year's Team Europe. I hope I met your expectations as a manager. n_n

Jimmy Turtwig
Man, being your manager for this tournament was a stressful experience. Then again, I was quite stressful throughout WCoP in general... Anyway, I'm sorry for slotting you in ORAS, because I know you're not a fan of the metagame (whatsoever). Thank you for winning big in the semi final and showing up to help the old gens prepare in play-offs. I'd have liked for you to start prepping your games a little earlier in the week, but you know how big of a fan of yours I have been and still am. Go do Smogon Tour, btw. I'll be rooting for you. c:

Kushalos
Memes aside, your efforts to try and help the team this last week didn't go unnoticed. Having said that, I expected (much) more from you this tournament and you truly have the empathetic ability of a *insert hilarious inanimate object here*. Seriously, Stevie Wonder can 'read the room' better than you can. Much like Blackoblivion feeling bad about his loss vs. TDK, I hope you'll soon find peace after getting haxed out of PU Classic. :'( It genuinely wouldn't surprise me if you had a really strong Grand Slam run this year though, so good luck with that (I guess?).

MetalGro$$
You still can't use blobs lmao. RBY not being in WCoP this year made things a little awkward, but I hope you enjoyed the experience nonetheless. You had big shoes to fill when TheThorn couldn't play in the final, so try not to be too hard on yourself. You didn't have the record you were aiming for, but know that I don't regret picking you for the team despite the lack of an RBY slot. I do however regret ever letting you have access to the 'funny logs' channel, because some of your 'contributions' were, as Twin would put it, uncontributions. :p

Pearl
Remember when you weren't gonna do WCoP '100%'? :p For real though, you have been (and still are) my go-to person for whenever I need to vent, decompress or talk to someone and I'll always appreciate that. Our shared love for likes, the whoring of said likes, memes, puns, Disclosure and much more have brought us together ever since Omfuga drafted us to the same NUPL team (that should have won that year). You also taught me that the scariest sentence in the English language turns out to be "... is playing League of Legends", but you told me not to worry about it, and you froze ABR's Terrakion with Ice Beam won vs. ABR in the final to prove it. You're probably one of the most meticulous preppers in all of competitive 'mons and I don't doubt you'll crush in Snake, too. <3

Pohjis
Goatjis! You know how much I value you, but I want everyone reading this to know as well. Holy. Fucking. Shit. You were beyond incredible as a team player throughout the entirety of WCoP. The scouting reports you produced, the endless amount of tests you offered and the excellent presence you were on top of that will not be forgotten by anyone on the team. You deserved getting a win in this tournament, but I'm sure you'll be able to grab a bunch of them in Snake regardless. It was an honor having you on the team and I hope we didn't let you down too much after all of your hard work. :o #ÖPÖOLOL

R!cardo
Lol you kys as well. >tfw beating John sober is unlikely so you decide to just do a bunch of drugs instead. I wish you didn't get as nervous as you did, because you really are a good-ass player. I know team tours haven't been your thing in the past, but after winning OUPL together and making it pretty damn far in this one, I'm glad you're turning it around. I loved having you around and your drunk arguments with an equally drunk choolio had me grinning in front my computer. Don't disappear on us, my man. :3

TheThorn
You are and will remain a favorite. I know you feel bad about missing the final, but please don't forget you were downright phenomenal overall. You're comfortably one of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with, and the way you approach playing this game is really something else. I know you're seriously considering quitting, so I'll just apologize in advance for bugging you the upcoming year to come back for next year's WCoP, as TheEnder can confirm. :p I wish you the best of luck with whatever is next for you and I couldn't be more confident in you succeeding no matter what it is you're trying to accomplish. :D

Void
You really went 5-0, huh. Even though this is what feels like our 53rd tournament together, I still can't truly figure this one out. I guess you've stopped misplaying for some reason? Other than roscoe skipping WCoP, you really did play well to produce this incredible record and I couldn't be happier for you. You've been one of my favorite people on this website since we first met, and I want to say thank you for the kind words in your post from earlier today; it means more to me than you might realize. Another important note to take away from this tournament is that you still haven't missed a 'Tony game' for an official team tournament! :blobcheer:

We Three Kings
It's time. Feel free to take the fetal position right now btw, because this will the cheesiest shit you'll have read in a good while. Once upon a time, when I first joined Team Europe, I was told you were a cancerous, but talented player that refused to play and mostly complained about stuff. However, I have since grown to love you for who you are and you shattered any expectations I had before the tournament started. You were in my eyes the MVP of this Team Europe team, which says a lot since we had a really great team. You held down the ADV slot admirably, were very involved in the preparation of the other games and could not have been more active in our chat (I don't know if you know this, but you have the most messages in our server by far). You enjoy giving off this "idk maybe probably who knows" vibe, but when it came down to it you were there to not only win big, but to passionately help and support your team. Good luck in the next Smogon Tour and next year's Classic is yours. :goat:

ZoroDark
Fellow Sarah Shahi enthusiast and handsome user ZoroDark. n_n First of all I appreciate the consistent support of my jokes you've given me ever since we first met. I take pride in my work and it's great to know there's people out there that make it worth the effort. :3 As evidenced by my gassing you up in the Smogcast not too long ago, I'm a big fan and I wish you the best. Much like your brother I know you're disappointed on a personal level, but I hope you too will start looking back on this tournament as a great experience soon enough. You're a really good player and I want you to have this as a token of my appreciation. n_n

There were also a ton of people that offered their help and support as we progressed to the final, including some of this website's finest ever players. I want to take the time to thank all of you for your knowledge and thoughts, I couldn't be more grateful. One person in particular I want to thank is col49. Seriously, you're the best. You were in our server from the start after a colossal mistake meant you weren't picked for Metro this year (shout-outs Star & obii!), and you really made it count. Other than your eloquence, your EV spreads were something else and I value your input more than you might think. Stay awesome, b.

Congratulations once more to US East, but we'll take the next one. ;)

#trophiesatleast

Last edited:
Well, this is it. First congrats East for winning once again the wcop. Second, I'd like to apologize to my team for not being here or just a few the first weeks because I did not realize how much the work I had was taking time for me and I really mean it. I've been most of the tourney a cheerleader trying to help scouting the last week or helping to test your teams all season long. I think we can say no one expected us to go this far in the tournament but my teammates were so gifted that they managed to do it. Been trembling all day long and been so stressed some other weeks it was even hard to watch our games haha.

Tony : Oh captain, my captain. Thanks a lot man for letting me in the team being the official co captain even though I wouldn't give it to me after this tourney. I didn't know exactly where my place was and what I could do too but you've taken care of the whole team so well alone it's honestly impressive. You're such a nice guy & friendly it's unbelievable. You don't have to blame yourself, every decision you took the whole tournament has been fucking great so please don't beat the shit of yourself for anything, also watching you trying to put this wcop team together for the last 6 months was really awesome, just look at what our team achieved. Just stay the same, I would always want to be in a team with you! No avy control for you though :|

Ban Manaphy : Holy fucking shit, I gotta admit I wasn't a day1 follower but I tried then some of your teams and it somehow worked LOL. You are an incredibly gifted player and you have so many great ideas of unsets to bring. You only were brought for playoffs but damn, what an appearance, going 3-0 in playoffs straight outplaying everyone. I wouldn't be surprised if you become the next best thing on this forum. Keep being this good and nice too ! GOAT

Blackoblivion : I didn't know you at the beginning and trusted Tony when he picked you and god knows he was right, you've proven to be one of the best player this tournament and you're pretty much as good in oras than sm. You're a true goat too ! :) Btw, fuck you for turning Flo into a weeb ;_;

Celysi : Ah Twin, un des potes avec lequel je m'entends le mieux depuis déjà quelques années. Vraiment désolé pour toi que t'ai pas été un starter cette saison mais t'as quand même fait un travail énorme, ta motivation a toujours été présente et rien que pour ça merci. Toujours présent pour build quelque chose quand quelqu'un veut tester des trucs, toujours présent pour quelques matchs. T'as été exemplaire lors de cette wcop et vraiment merci pour tout! Fais juste gaffe à moins choke et je suis sûr qu'on t'aligne en starter l'an prochain sans hésiter :D PS : Un jour tu sauras me battre en randbat

choolio : You can't imagine someone telling you to kill yourself better than choolio, holy shit. Your performance has been stellar during playoffs where we unleashed you and even during group stage you've been really immense helping isa. You even made me like gsc you fucking piece of shit. You even confirmed that last week that if you win the 1st, we're 100% winning the week and that's quite a charm LOL. Unfortunately, you couldn't bring it home that last final but you've shown everyone how great of a player you are. But for real, thank you for being this good at gsc, and to end on a positive note, kys ;)

Isa The other gsc guy of the team, thank you for still being one of the nicest guy I know and there's no one that is as honest as you. Even though you retired a while ago, we all know you're a hidden TD and still the most important one ;) I swear to god you'll end w/ a better record than a 1-2 once in wcop and you'll soon have another positive record in a team tour. Thanks anyway for being here around, always nice to have a laugh with you

Jimmy Turtwig Jimbo / Jean Tortipouss or w/e. Thank you for sticking with oras even though you regretted that you were playing it. You've been really good at it even if it was our worst generation and you covered it really well. As per Isa, it's always fun to talk with you cause we know we're gonna end up laughing. But yeah, you've been a really great asset to our team this year :)

Kushalos Well, we maybe have been too harsh with you but we expected more from you ngl, your contribution the last week did not go unnoticed but I guess it wasn't enough :| Anyway, you're I think the best untier player on this site so good luck with gslam, i'm sure you can win this ! :)

MetalGro$$ duuuude i won't let yourslef beat the shit out of you, you're a great player even tho your results doesn't really show it and you definitely had a place in our roster this year, even though you didn't have a positive record, you've really much helped the team get into playoffs and thank you for subbing in during the finals even though you lost. You're a great friend and i'm really sorry for you I killed that henry charles meme :| Also I swear the next time you come to Paris dodging me, you're a dead man.

Pearl : Holy shit dude, you've been a fuckton here for the team and thank you a lot for that, I never thought you were this good at sm so you really surprised me. After your first game, I knew Tony was right about starting you cause you are really good at this tier. You've also been helpful in other tier so that's a bonus and I really like to talk with you about everything (and League hehe). How would Tony react if he knew how much time you spent on LoL preparing for wcop :P Can't wait for our duos in league soon :D Also, fuck weebs

Pohjis Our team MVP, for real you are fucking insane and if we were able to get this far in the tournament, you're more than responsible for it w/ all the teams you had and the visuals & scouting you did. Like wtf man, I don't think we can thank you enough for that, I'm really sorry for you that you had such a record but that doesn't mean anything. You're the kind of player any manager would love to have in everyteam

R!cardo The man who gets into the wcop finals on cocaine. For real, you've been such a help this season sharing this many teams and clutching that last win that sent us in playoffs when we were almost collapsing on that last day so yeah thank you njnp :] For real, you played really well this whole tournament and you were a key part of why our sm were this strong. And yeah we also love you too, been great having this team tournament with you ! I'm really glad we were able to get you because you didn't want to play that tournament at first

TheThorn Shame you had to miss that final week but like you played in a fantastic way all tournament long, you've been one of our sm core that really gave our team such a strong line up by sharing teams and building even that last week when you couldn't be there so really thank you for that. I don't know if you're going to keep playing pokemon after what you said about wanting to stop after the wcop but in the case you do that good luck with that and I'm sure you'll stay with us talking so it's cool ! :)

Void Holy fucking shit, you were supposed to be benched this tour and thanks god you weren't. A 5 fucking 0 record and against some really good players too. Like I knew you were good but there's no way I could imagine you would clutch this tournament this hard. It's probably because you're worst nemesis was actually jimmy and then having him in the team, no one could stop you lol but yeah thanks a lot for carrying our ass, you're an insane player

We Three Kings This fucking guy always said our team was shit but we could think you wouldn't care about that tournament but man, you've been providing teams in so many tiers it was unreal, you're probably the team 2nd MVP with everything you did and you're also a phenomenal player. Watching you play in adv has been a pure joy this tournament. You're also really fucking good at every old gen so I'm sure you'll be able to get that classic next year or even ST. Killing the moxie benched meme was hard but definitely worth it at the end. It's been too long though since we had to deal with your logs of battles that makes you rage so can't wait to see them for olt or anything else ;)

ZoroDark Let's not forget you managed to lose a game after dodging 8 hypnosis in a row ;) For real, you're really talented at BW and it's really a shame you lost that last game cause you really deserved to win it. You've so much grown since I first met you in the benelux team man, you may be disapointed with your overall performance but it was a good one nonetheless and I'm sure you'll be able to achieve some nice results in future tournaments because you deserve it :) (As per your brother, I know you fucking came to Paris and dodged me so fuck you.)

As for non team shoutouts now

col49 the EV magician, thanks a lot for joining us at the start of the tournament and offering your help, it's been phenomenal and I would not play a game w/o your insight on spread now guess we have to shoutout Star and obii for this mistake.

obii fuck you for spamming that finch lunch pic all day long LOL anyway you've been pretty much like me a cheerleader and that was appreciated so thanks I guess

Anti same as obii, fuck you for spamming that finch pic all day long haha, thanks for the support any, it was much appreciated too ! :)

-Snow Thanks a lot for joining us and being this helpful with teambuilds for semis and finals when Italy got out. It's a shame you can't join us because you are insane about this game (a bit like mana i guess lol) but you always have some good ideas so it's fucking great

Obliviate Flo :D Thanks a lot too for helping us with teams and everything when germany got out. Fuck germany for stealing you though

Anyway, thanks a lot friends for that tournament, it's been such a rollercoaster with emotions those last weeks and I'm really glad we managed to get this far in this tournament, from a team no one expected to see go through r1 to finals was a really big and we prove ourselves to b able to fuck every predictions everyone made about us at the beginning of the tournament, we'll come back even stronger next year #trophyatleast

Last edited:
Another year, another trophy. Shocking development, I know. And despite East's continued domination, this tournament remains as hard as ever. The obstacles we had to overcome to win 4 straight tiebreaks the past few years are great in number; we won many games we really should have lost. People seem to lose sight of this fact when looking at East's World Cup Run; sure, this year, we didn't have to rely on IFM stalling a GSC game long enough to get a rematch while on his phone in the middle of the Spanish countryside...and then winning the rematch under these same conditions. But there were still a great deal of 'shambles' moments, three of which somehow involved Jayde.

How this game in particular was won, I'll never know. If one little thing went another way, our season would have been over; Rotom-W getting Scald burned turn 19, for example, could have been the nail in the coffin. But somehow, through a combination of determination, perseverance, masterful skill, and wild events such as DD Roost Dragonite being broken, bluri's reluctance to use Stealth Rock, SoulWind's decision to not put HP Fire on a Cresselia in sun, and my genius decision to tell Jayde to use Custap Endeavor Politoed, we once again proved to the world that they're all just losers in comparison.

And now, that I stand alone with my comrade BKC at the top of the official wins list, it is once again time to go through with the annual ritual of giving thanks to those who helped me along the way.

Stone_Cold: The sculptor himself. Dave managed to created this empire from basically nothing, and seamlessly ushered us through the various eras of US East history. Dave never lost faith in us; he was always there to support a fallen comrade. I'm glad that we decided to let you on the team once again :)

Tobes: With RBY axed, we decided to give you the captain position. We know you wanted to play, but at least you got another trophy out of it. Enjoy, and good luck in retro cup :)

ABR: We finally managed to be on the same team. Wild. Unfortunately, we could not ghost each other IRL this tournament; maybe another time. You were obviously integral to our success; even though your record was not as amazing as many people expected it to be, you built a ridiculous amount of teams and flawlessly supported US East cheat code bro fist. You also kept the chat extremely active, and were very useful in helping the other inferior countries realize that they simply have no chance of conquering the land where freedom rings. Enjoy the trophy bro; I'm sure you'll have more than 2 in the future (although, you'll obviously never surpass me Lol)

august: While you didn't get to play much this World Cup, you were still a fun presence :) A lot has happened since we teamed up in SPL 4 under MoP haha. If the plot armor knight was somehow vanquished, I'm sure that you would have slayed Void and won the trophy yourself.

Bad Ass: The Trustcat himself. At one point, our season came down to you defeating Fakes in ADV OU to force a tiebreak. Without an ounce of fear, you stepped into the ring, effortlessly defeating him while donned in plot armor. You definitely prepared extremely hard for the other two games; unfortunate things didn't break your way. The matchup in the final game looked pretty much impossible. Regardless, you saved our season, and managed to show your metagame knowledge in a variety of scenarios.

BKC: Our old gen god. We would have been no where near as successful in this tournament without you; there's a reason you've won this tournament 4 times. You provide so much help to BW, DPP, ADV, and GSC that winning tiebreak games is just a bonus. Thanks for giving me my teams for Quarterfinals and Semifinals; I would have beaten Colchonero if I played better so they were both clearly on point. Tiebreaks are always much easier when we know we have you to play whatever old generation the other team picks, and also to take advantage of any gen the other team is lacking in. You only managed to somehow improve in the past year also, cementing yourself as one of the best GSC players. Enjoy your time at the top of the mountain with me; maybe the snake tour or SPL will finally be the decider haha

Christo: Thanks for supporting us bro. It's unfortunate you didn't get to play, but that happens on a team as talented as this one. Regardless, you got a trophy out of it so I suppose it was worth it haha. Now, let's win RUPL omg.

dragonuser: Another player who could have started on some teams in this tournament. A lot has happened since you robbed me in one of the most infuriating moments of my Pokemon career back in World Cup 2014...Regardless, thanks for your support; I'm sure that if we needed you to play, you would have wiped away the competition as you did in old times.

FlamingVictini: OMG FV GOAT. You're ridiculously consistent in World Cup; while you didn't have to bail us out with a Cobalion like you did last year, you were still an integral part of our campaign. We all had confidence that you would win all of your games; your slaying of our hero JAMVAD and your overcoming of the unstoppable VinCune in the finals is just proof of this. When we were 2-3 vs. Spain, you fearlessly beat reiku in the next game, leveling the score and setting us up for yet another tiebreak. You also managed to revolutionize RU by creating the legendary spider. Thank you for sacrificing your enjoyment and playing the worst tier known to man by the way; I would have killed myself if I had to play that cancer ever again.

Folgorio: You were the first person on this team to defy improbable odds and win a game. After your victory over Hassi with that legendary Dragonite, we went on an unstoppable tear. Thanks for coming back out of retirement; it was fun having you on the team :]

idiotfrommars: Good job going 3-0 in round 1 man. You have the most wins in SPL + WCoP history, so that clearly speaks for itself. Thanks for being supportive about our decision to not play you in the last two stages of the playoffs; we know you really wanted to. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll obliterate SPL as always. Oh, it was fun meeting you irl too. HODOR!

Jayde: The man who miraculously pulled off the three of the most improbable wins I've ever seen...all in a row too. After bluri managed to successfully Magic Coat your Breloom, I thought the game was over. And then he pulled off the Eject Button successfully and killed Heatran with Terrakion as well. At that point, my fingers would have been inches away from the x at the top of the page. But somehow, you managed to overcome all odds and get yourself in a position to win that game, saving our season in the process (imagine if we lost World Cup by getting swept by a Fleur Cannon + Focus Magearna in Round 2). You're a ridiculously good player, and the fact that we were considering picking BW as a tiebreak vs Spain only serves as a reminder of this.

John: The plot armor knight himself. Words cannot describe how important you were to this victory. Every single time we needed you to win, you did. Only a Hydro Pump miss against Trosko could stop you from running the table; although this merely ended up being a vehicle to show off the camel. Ever since that fateful day where I argued that Tesung should play in tiebreak over you, all you've done is cement yourself as the greatest clutch player ever...Plot armor couldn't exist without you there to save us every time we misplay, get haxed, or lose to matchup; in all honesty, you should receive an SPL trophy as well simply for your efforts in this tournament.

PDC: This was a very solid rebound tournament for you. After the absolute disaster that was last World Cup, I'm glad that you were able to bounce back, even after suffering a crushing SPL defeat at the hands of GOAO. Your wins in both Round 2 and 3 were essential to our victory; that Z-Stealth Rock play was honestly the stuff of legends. It's unfortunate you weren't able to win in the finals, but don't worry about it. You won when we needed you too, and that's all that matters.

TDK: The fact that you built something like 150 teams since the start of the tournament really says it all. You supported everyone, and not just in the newer gens. In addition to helping everyone, you managed to build some pretty cool things for yourself, such as that absolutely wild Sticky Web team that demolished BlackOblivion in the finals. Your awful matchup vs Malekith was simply part of the plot armor; I'm sure you'll win the next one. The fact that you can build very solid teams for lower tiers too is just ridiculous. The finals team you gave me was extremely lit. I've never seen so many threats in one place good lord Metalgross got obliterated. Thanks for the continued support :)

Zamrock: Unfortunately, you seem to be cursed in terms of World Cup games. Don't worry though, bro. You established yourself as a solid player during SPL, and your tryhard nature was an essential part of our victory. Your dedicated visuals and need for perfection from us definitely helped us clinch this trophy. I'm sure you'll obliterate some clowns in the snake draft tour while meticulously supporting your team as well. Although, it couldn't hurt you to get a waifu.

Helpers:

blunder: Thanks for helping my team out in yet another team tournament. One day, I'm sure you'll get your well-deserved trophy. If I could give you Lowgock's from SPL 6, I would...

Jirachee: Thanks for helping us in DPP yet again :)

Nails: The VGC superstar. Thanks for hanging out occasionally, even after giving up your spot to Dave. Hope I can meet you IRL again one day...

Stathakis: Thanks for hanging out occasionally this year; was fun bop

Tesung: This clown really got himself banned LOL What a joke man LOLO Thanks a lot for testing with me though in both DPP and SM; I somehow managed to play more test games against you than anyone else on the team. You're still ridiculously good, and I hope I can team with you in another tour soon (snake plz omg).

yond: Yondie managed to pull off the impossible feat of somehow being extremely more useful while off the roster than on it. Marred by inactivity last season, yondie returned at full force this year, consistently guiding us with his masterful SM OU and DPP knowledge. It is a shame that your trophy is now gray; in our hearts, it's blue.

Everyone else in the channel: Thanks for the support bros.

Europe: Amazing effort. Not many people predicted you to get this far. I have a lot of friends on this team so I'm happy for you guys; maybe one day you'll be able to put a crack in our plot armor.

Greece: Thanks for proving that I am never wrong.

VoD: VoD wins again. Classic.

Overall, this was once again a very enjoyable and stressful tournament. It is never easy winning this tour, and I'm happy that I'm fortunate enough to be on a roster filled with so many chill people. We could have easily lost against Spain and Germany this year and last year, but we never doubted ourselves, and always managed to find a way to win. And as always...

POKEMON GOD METABEAST WINS AGAIN. CLASSIC.

Last edited:
The win aside, this has definitely been the most enjoyable team tournament and I'm glad I got to experience it. I'd like to individually thank everyone who contributed to making it such a pleasant one.

Stone_Cold: It was really great having you around man. Even if you aren't playing you're still an awesome presence to have in the chat with your unwavering love and support. You're always welcome to stick around as long as you're available.

Tobes: You may not have had as direct of a role with RBY gone but you were still there to support your team and I appreciate that.

august: Even if you didn't get to play as much as you'd have liked you were still always willing to help others out in DPP. I also have complete faith that you would have crushed Void if the situation arose.

Bad Ass: Prior to the season starting I really wasn't sure how active or helpful you were going to be but you definitely surpassed all my expectations. Not only did you clutch the season for us against Fakes but you were extremely dedicated and there to offer advice in every generation. You also definitely saved me from some horrible team choices, so thanks for that.

BKC: You are undoubtedly an essential component of this team's repeated victory and I'm really glad we finally got to work together. You're an incredibly talented player and you also guided our entire oldgens roster in preparing for their games. It was always nice to see the daily text from Kevin Cronin at work saying "I made 10 GSC teams and 5 ADV teams, what do you think?" Sorry for trolling you about ADV Skarmory and DPP being bad... please stick around!

Christo: Unfortunately you didn't get to sub in this time around but thanks for being there to cheer us on every round.

dragonuser: Even if you didn't play it was nice knowing we had the option of subbing you in when needed. You were also there to help out on many occasions, and it definitely wasn't a wasted effort.

FlamingVictini: I'll be honest you definitely impressed me this World Cup. You won all the round 1 games that counted but also nailed two huge wins in semis + finals. The finals game in particular looked impossible at preview but you somehow pulled the win out in shocking fashion. I'm glad I got to work with you in preparing for your games.

Folgorio: Your Dragonite sweep vs Hassi was 100% the most pivotal moment of this tournament. We were trading wins and got to 6-5 or so, your Swampert got nailed by a Celebi's Leaf Storm, and then your Dragonite emerges. After you pulled out that miracle of a win we went on a streak of like 11-13 wins to qualify. You were also a very cool guy to talk to and I'm happy you were on the team.

idiotfrommars: I know you wanted to play in the final rounds but you were mature about the team's decision and were still there to help out Kevin in GSC. Your round 1 wins were also an important part of us qualifying and it's nice to know we have a solid GSC slot waiting to be utilized year in year out.

Jayde: I gotta say your 3 playoff wins were some of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. You somehow managed to win after Bluri's Magic Coat Slowking caught your Breloom, after Soulwind trapped your Tar and should have swept with Cress, and after you wasted the Breloom vs Zoro's Terrakion. Regardless, you have an impressive knack for magically creating win conditions for yourself. SoD forever breh.

John: I probably worked most closely with you this tournament as far as SM goes, and it was a ton of fun. We managed to create and perfect some of the coolest ideas such as the Sub Camerupt and of course the unbeatable Sub Tect Zygarde + dual hazard Gren team. I used to doubt the people who hyped you up but you're surely nothing short of incredibly impressive. I look forward to teaming with you again next year.

PDC: We've worked a lot with each other in the past but this is the first time we were on a team together and it worked out nicely. Your games vs Menci and Poek were crucial to our success and that Z-SR play was the play of World Cup.

TDK: We had our differences in the past but I'm glad we're way past that and got to co-shepherd the US East new-gen armada. You came up with a ton of cool ideas and always seem to have something neat up your sleeve - your game in the finals is a prime example of this. I've only gained more respect for you as time has gone on.

-Tsunami-: Thanks for going wherever we decided to place you which ended up being a different thing every round. You started in Suicune's Playground, realized that place was not for you (can't blame you), then proceeded to go to the Thinking Man's gen (I don't know how you can bare it), and finally ended up in a good tier: SM. It's truly impressive that you play so many tiers at such a high level. VoD (SoD) wins again, classic!!!

Zamrock: You're an incredibly dedicated teammate and you shouldn't think that it went unnoticed in the slightest. Whether to bounce around ideas or to test you were always available and willing to help out when called upon.

For the people not on the roster: blunder thanks for the support as always love u xoxo; Jirachee you were really helpful in a variety of generations, especially DPP and BW; Tesung I'm glad you're "back" and I hope you play more in the future (sign up for snake!); yond it was cool to have you around and maybe we can get you back that Blue next time around.

Props to Germany, Spain, and Europe for keeping us on our toes at all times. I hope the competition remains just as rich in future iterations of this tournament.

ggs

Last edited:
So after a couple of months of grinding, it comes to an end again. I've never actually done wcop shoutouts fsr, but I had a lot of fun competing this year and I am really enjoying playing in general right now so I figured it couldn't hurt. Contrary to popular belief, it's really not easy for us to keep winning these. Every round comes with its own set of obstacles and uncertainties, whether those are disagreements and discussions within the team or just the looming threat of another super strong team about to push us to the edge again. Somehow, some way though we end up advancing. I'm not even sure how, call it plot armor or whatever shake likes to say I guess.

ABR : Going into this, I didn't expect to get along as well as I do with the self-proclaimed mathbreaking michelangelo of sm ou. You're really loud and opinionated about pretty much everything, but you're also a really smart and chill dude. It was cool to have someone who shares my enjoyment for constantly gassing up teammates, bashing bad tiers and trolling bkc. Hope we can keep working together in the future.

august : Thanks for coming back for another year man, it's always fun to have you around. You didn't get the amount of playing time you would have liked to and that sucks, but you were around a lot to bounce dpp ideas to people and prepared really hard for your finals game and I'm sure we can all appreciate that.

Bad Ass : The crustcat. You got slotted into adv in r2 seemingly out of the blue and you really impressed everyone with your great work ethic. It's great having you around because you always add something constructive to any discussion and you're pretty much always down to playtest with anyone. Your win vs fakes was just super clutch and made everyone feel safe having you in adv when bkc felt burnt out. #trustcat

BKC : One of my best Pokemon friends and one of the best players I've ever seen. We've know each other for so long and I think that plays a huge part in you holding back on the insults when I call ADV Skarm broken as all hell or when I go on endless rants about the thinking man's generation (which some people willingly play for fun btw), so thanks for that. I know you're sort of fed up with the community right now, so hopefully taking your break will help with that. No matter how competitive you are, just remember that at the end of the day, this is all about having fun.

Christo : You were mostly a quiet guy throughout, but you cheered us on in super important moments, so thanks for that. Enjoy the trophy and good luck with your team in snake dude!

dragonuser : Another guy I've know for a really long time. We used to hang out in Serebii xats years ago and here were are still trucking along. The last year since you came back hasn't been the best for you as far as results go, but you seem to be enjoying the game again which is great. GL in future tours you enter man!

FlamingVictini : You are a super consistent player. You almost always (with some exceptions being Cobalion and HP Fire, Protect Lando-T) go into your games with solid teams and perform great. Your play in the finals vs a tough opponent in Jimmy with a tough matchup was fantastic and it was very fun to gas you up on smogtours. The not so fun part was testing vs assorted vincune teams for a few hours straight, but that comes with the job I guess.

Folgorio : It was cool seeing you come back and play again Darqus. You're a really nice dude and a great chat presence. This game was a huge turning point for us in wcop:

I think after this we went on to win something ridiculous like 12 in a row after being 6-5 and having it look this bleak.

idiotfrommars : I don't know how you pull off wins in some of your games but you do. Your Zapdos has seen some shit in its day that's for sure. Thank you for being cool with Kevin starting in GSC after he was not feeling ADV. You still stayed active and chipped in advice whenever you could which was great. I think the 3 wins this tournament put you ahead of everyone in all time spl + wcop wins too, so congrats on that!

Jayde : This man gets the award for owning the most shambles moments:

If anyone was ever the embodiment of a knight in shining plot armor, it would be you without a doubt. I don't think any of us can explain how you won those last 3 games you played, but somehow you did. You're a great thinker and share my dislike of everything headass. Always a pleasure chatting with you bro.

PDC : Good bounceback year for you my dude. I know how good it feels to come through with some important wins after you have a bad tournament the year before. The Z-Stealth Rock play is the the type of stuff that people gather around campfires to tell stories about and as you saw by the social media comments, people think you're some alien from dimension 9 for that.

-Tsunami- : Shake is an entertainer. No matter the amount of shambles moments, this guy is always there to remind us that it's just all part of the plot armor in the grand scheme of things. You're a great player and I felt like we could count on your win no matter what tier you were in, as seen by your finals game where you dominated with the paper rain in sm ou. bop space dash we out hele.

TDK : I have a huge amount of respect for the amount of time and effort you put into teambuilding and preparing in general. It's not just in current gens either, you make sure your voice is heard even in the intimidating land of the thinking men and BW. You're a fantastic player, especially when you're not looking to cheese in [insert random lower tier] with some form of baton pass or stall. You've also been one of my really good friends over the last few years and I can always count on you to laugh at something completely ridiculous with me at pretty much any time, so thanks for that.

Tobes : RBY got removed this year which was unfortunate for you because it pretty much meant you wouldn't get to play. You stuck around which was appreciated though and we were able to win it again so you can keep your blue.

Stone_Cold : Your passion for this team is crazy. It was great having you again this year Dave. You were really active and always tried to help out in dpp and you even recently picked up sm. Your words of encouragement for everyone, win or lose, go a long way. Hope we can have you on board in the future too.

Zamrock : You were one of the most active people on the team even though you didn't get to play that much, which says a lot about how good of a team player you are. You're a mega tryhard and help everyone scout and toss around ideas (even if they're a little wild sometimes, aka mega houndoom) so that's great. You're a great dude and I know you'll get that elusive wcop win one day. GL in snake and spl bro.

blunder & Jirachee : Two of my really good friends. You guys have been around to help us in our runs the last few years even if you essentially get nothing out of it. You just do it because you're great friends, so thanks a lot. Do not give bkc drafting power in snake though Phil.

Nails & Stathakis : You guys popped up every once in a while to chill and maybe watch a game or two and cheer us on. Thanks for that!

Tesung : Really fucked around and got yourself banned. You were always down to test with anyone and remind everyone how good the move rest was for breaking stall. You're obviously still a great player so I hope you stick around and join the team next year.

yond : You're another dude who is super passionate about this team. I don't know how, but you were somehow infinitely more active while not officially being on the roster, go figure. Glad to see you getting back into mons and picking up new gens though, pretty sure you played more ladder games in the last few weeks than Jayde has played in his life. Hope you keep having fun playing dude!

To close it out I'd like to thank anyone who reached out to say positive things to me, I always really appreciate that. Also a special thank you to my boys in scooters, who I can always count on to gas it up. You guys are the best.

Last edited:

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Just wanna thank everyone on east for givin me what could be my last opportunity to start in wcop, even if my game didn't matter. I always say "oh this one will be my last" but I've been here for 10 years tho so who knows. You guys are truly some of the most dedicated and hard workin pkmn players I've ever had the pleasure to work with. Shout outs to the thinking men channel for putting up with my rants and silly ideas (and every once in a while a good one I guess). Special shout outs Dave and yond for telling me when my teams and ideas were bad even though they weren't on the team. It brought me back to the shoddy days when you guys gave me tests, I'll let you know when I finish the time machine to take us all back to our prime xp oh and bkc ofc for always building ridiculously solid old gen squads

Europe, you guys really had an incredible run and you guys made every game count. Your roster had some amazing charisma and it was a pleasure to play vs you. Hoping one of these days I'll get my big stage match vs void, I'm still looking forward to it.

US BEAST
RIP HUGO

Last edited:

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Shoutouts to Team Asia for a successful tournament this year. I'd write a long ass post to show my love for y'all but I'm not a little bitch that likes jerking off other dudes.

Analytic the goatest
JohnYiu for being Chinese. I'm only half Chinese, and I half appreciate you
praj.pran this nigga will go super saiyan four on all you bitchasses this year and dominate Smogon

#top15atleastnextyear

Shoutouts to Team Asia for a successful tournament this year. I'd write a long ass post to show my love for y'all but I'm not a little bitch that likes jerking off other dudes.

Analytic the goatest
JohnYiu for being Chinese. I'm only half Chinese, and I half appreciate you
praj.pran this nigga will go super saiyan four on all you bitchasses this year and dominate Smogon

#top15atleastnextyear
u forgot blarajan
ty btw, that means a lot :heart:

I don't usually do shout-out posts, but I think one is merited here given that I was Captain this season and the victory in itself is pretty historic. It's hard to believe how far East has come since I first joined all the way back in 2012, when we were just a loose collection of no-account scrubs. Somehow Stone managed to pull us all into a family, constantly vetting for talent and keeping our dynamic affable and supportive, even when we players could have tendencies to butt heads on issues. This continued success is basically just me riding on the coattails of Stone and the amazing members of this team. I don't think I'm a particularly impressive captain, and if I had known Stone wasn't retiring I would have had no qualms with him retaining the title. (Please put RBY back in WCoP, I want to have some semblance of utility again lol) It's a testament to East as a team that it doesn't need strong leadership to keep chugging along. Our best trait as a team is how supportive and friendly we are with each other, but beyond that, each of our players are strong individually and can be counted on to get their win.

First, before I move on to shout-outs, I'd like to compliment our playoff opponents. Germany, Spain, and Europe: You're all great teams comprised of talented players, and any of you would have been worthy trophy-holders. We knew from experience, of course, that Germany and Spain would be tough competition, but I think I speak for everyone when I say Europe's strong showing was a very pleasant surprise. I hope you all continue to be serious contenders and give us a run for our money next year as well; there's little point in hanging on to a title if people aren't doing their damnedest to unseat us from it.

Stone_Cold - Dave, your efforts are arguably the reason I'm still around. Thanks for taking a chance on me all those years ago. Even if I keep the role of Captain next season, I'll always consider you the real leader of this team.

ABR - I know we had a bit of a disagreement early in the season, but I'm glad we sorted it out and moved on quickly. You're undoubtedly one of the most skilled players in the game at the moment, and you're a great addition to this team.

august - It's kind of unfortunate (relatively) that your match wound up not mattering, but it was nice to have you back. By the way, I still don't know what counters Mantine; do you think you could help me with that?

Bad Ass - I was pleasantly surprised when you resurfaced right before the season started. Your clutch win against Fakes is part of the reason why we're here again, and the phrase "trustcat" has certainly been merited. Be warned though, that I might come gunning for your ADV slot just so that I have something to do next year lol

BKC - Kevin, I know the phrase "GOAT" is just a meme at this point, but I'm confident that at this point you're unquestionably going to be spoken of with the same reverence people give VIL, Earthworm, and others on their level. Aside from that, I consider you one of my closest friends on Smogon, and I hope we're teammates on Raiders again next season (preferably for a less ludicrous price this time lol) Hit me up if you're ever in Florida, I'll gladly come and see one of your shows. Also read my book nerd

Christo - I know that we didn't have a chance to get you in for any games, but you were always a positive and supportive presence without coming across as sycophantic. I hope you get to prove yourself on the big stage next season.

dragonuser - You're definitely a talented player, and I'm sure you're capable of returning to the monster you were previously.

FlamingVictini - I think you're the shining example of East's strategy of investing in the future, and that you've cemented yourself as a prodigy in this game. I expect you're only going to continue to improve from here.

Folgorio - Welcome to the the "US East Brotherhood of People Who Know How Hot DD/Sub Dnite Is", friend. Even when you were moved to bench you continued to be a good chat presence and supportive tester, and I really appreciate that.

IFM - I'm sorry that we didn't get you into more matches. I have every certainty that you would've been able to hold the door if things had shaken out differently. Thanks for taking that well and continuing to help Kev prepare without complaint. I know you've stepping into VGC lately, so I wish you luck in that.

Jayde - I think you're unquestionably the best BW player there is at the moment. You were another player I was never in the slightest worried about getting their win, just because you've demonstrated your extreme competency again and again. I hope we're teammates on Raider again this season as well.

John - You're probably the best SuMo player alive right now. It can't be understated how clutch you are. I was never concerned at any point about your ability to secure a win, and you always vindicated this belief through your tight play and building.

Nails - Sorry that we couldn't get you a trophy this year. You're still my oldest Smogon friend, and I hope you continue to have success on the VGC circuit. Love ya buddy.

PDC - You've come a long way since we picked you up pre-COPPA ban.

TDK - As usual, your teambuilding was invaluable, and you most certainly pulled your weight in the games department as well. Looking forward to playing with you on Raiders again.

-Tsunami- - I think it's easy for it to fly under the radar that your flexibility in tiers was a serious boon to us, maybe because Kevin gets the better press for it. You managed to be consistently good across multiple tiers, and that's no small feat. Also your waifu of the week is trash bop

uragg - ur gay lel. But no seriously, I'm glad you're still around, even if we couldn't get you a slot on the roster this year.

yond - You're probably my favorite salty veteran. You're another vital presence to East's existence, even when you're not actively involved in playing. Come back next year as well man.

Zamrock - You might not have had the most glamorous of roles on the team, but you were absolutely one of the most vital. Your scouting was an incredible asset to this team, and it was a relief to know that we would always have a skilled and creative SuMo player waiting in the wings if the need ever arose. We live fairly close to each other it seems, so hit me up if you ever want to hang out offline.

Great job east!
Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys for putting up with me chilling there, trolling, stealing teams, and making generally terrible sm suggestions. Hope I was able to be of some help, but really wanna say great job to everyone for a pretty damn impressive run.

Just wanna give some credit to John For having a ridiculous tiebreak record and putting together an incredible tournament (6-1, with the 1 being heavily influenced by a hydro miss) and -Tsunami- for putting together a tournament record thats clearly one of the best ever while getting way less respect than deserved and ABR for being good at rest.

The rest of East also did really impressive things this tourney too but shouting out half the team is stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)