The Tennis Thread

ghost post. excited for the australian open. hope the best for brian baker in his return at the australian, heard great things about him from some of my friends who have hit with him.

Pretty hype for the AO but can't really see anyone besides Djokovic winning it unless Wawrinka goes Super Saiyan again. Federer looked fairly poor against Raonic, Murray has been a bit shaky in the Hopman Cup, and Nadal just got absolutely deconstructed by Djoker in Doha.

It was just a matter of time that something like this came out but it's been more or less known since the Davydenko-Vasallo Sopot match. It's just so easy to fix a tennis match and the reward can be huge. The ATP has been trying to hide match-fixing in the elite to keep the sport look as clean as possible and only really targeted a few very low ranked players. So it's probably for this reason why seeing so many top-50 players being suspicious is surprising, as match fixing is something that had been connected to the ch/futures level. The thing is that you can't prove that a player is guilty 100% sure unless you can actually prove a direct link between the player and the fixer. Even if the match results and betting patterns for a player look suspicious you can always argue that those losses where just a coincidence. But the numbers don't lie and the way the analysis has been performed it's clear that many players have been involved at some point, and probably more than the 16 they are claiming since it's harder to catch a player having done it just one or two times with raw data analysis. I really don't know what will happen from here but as I don't seee concrete names being officially released by the ATP anytime soon, I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't really go anywhere.

There's actually a sweedish website that has an artcile from 2011 that cites a black list of players heavily suspicious of match fixing (prior to 2011). It's in fact been posted in r/tennis recently and they're claiming it's a reliable source in Sweeden so I guess there's some good analysis behind it. And that list definitely lists some important names including ATP and WTA players.

Catherine Walker

Banned deucer.
I didn't get to see any of this but Lauren is one of my favorite players and has a bright future, I'm glad she got this opportunity and made the most of it.

In the women's division Madison Keys did really well; surprised on the outcome of her play. 2nd place is pretty good

Rafa Nadal's upset in Paris today got me thinking that there isn't a tennis thread! I don't know how many of you care about tennis but w/e. Feel free to discuss anything related to tennis(professional tennis, if you play, your school team, the newest equipment, etc.).

I'll get us started.

I used to play tennis but I dropped it because basketball was getting more intense and is basically year-round now. But I still enjoy it and like watching the grand slams on tv. And how about Soderling beating Rafa in Paris? Didn't see that one coming.
tennis is year around and i love it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)