The Tennis Thread

Rafa Nadal's upset in Paris today got me thinking that there isn't a tennis thread! I don't know how many of you care about tennis but w/e. Feel free to discuss anything related to tennis(professional tennis, if you play, your school team, the newest equipment, etc.).

I'll get us started.

I used to play tennis but I dropped it because basketball was getting more intense and is basically year-round now. But I still enjoy it and like watching the grand slams on tv. And how about Soderling beating Rafa in Paris? Didn't see that one coming.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
tennis sucks, I play golf.

On a serious note, I play varsity tennis on my school team, and have since freshman year (I'm now a junior). We won states in freshman year, going undefeated, but have been terribly unlucky due to injuries/kids failing over the last two years, both years going 3-10.

As for Rafa losing, he's human. Cut the man some slack. Everyone was just as shocked when Federer went down on grass, and he moved on from that.

As for Rafa losing, he's human. Cut the man some slack. Everyone was just as shocked when Federer went down on grass, and he moved on from that.

Don't get me wrong, I know he's human and his streak was obviously going to end sometime. I just didn't expect it today.

Since nadal lost federer has a massive chance to actually win the french. murray has a good chance too but i think he'll get beaten in the semis. Although its farfetched, i want verdasco to win :p

Rafa's human, but Soderling was a MACHINE.

One of his SECOND serves clocked at 120 mph. WTF

As the announcers said last night, that guy was playing waaay above his level. There's no way he plays tennis like that day in and day out.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
One of his SECOND serves clocked at 120 mph. WTF
That doesn't surprise me at all, in reality. You don't need to take any power off of your second serve, you just need a shitload of topspin to make it go in.

Yeah, but putting more topspin on the ball reduces the linear speed that the ball travels at (because the ball has to travel in an arc, which is more distance than a straight line).

He also clocked a first at 226 kph, which is a little over 140 mph. I find it amazing because I'd never heard of this guy before yesterday.

Oh yea, But this year is everyones chance, now or never becos i know Nadal will come back with new vengance next year. Losing makes him train more i think.

I'm getting seeded for the state high school tennis tournament coming up, which is pretty sweet.

On another note, Soderling/Nadal was excellent; the man had jesus in his racquet. Its funny too, because I think Soderling NAILED the ball at Nadal last year at Wimbledon; they two don't like each other much.

If Verdasco can play as well as he did against nadal in the australian open (i think) he has a good chance of winning, he is a very good baseline player, and i thnk federer would somewhat struggle against him.

monflis is a fucking physical FREAK, one of the best athletes out there... it's always entertaining to watch him play and smash a nice backhand.

the espn where are they now? piece on michael chang was pretty interesting, i had never looked into the history of tennis although i really appreciate it as a sport and enjoy watching it nowadays. the kid came back down 2-0, messing up lendl's flow with goddamn moon balls. he almost gave up, and on the last point forced a double fault to win. he was 17 i think?

mario tennis all the way...

The best tennis player in the world is Federer i dont like Nadal and im glad he got eliminated in the Roland Garos!

Nadal losing on clay is definitely an upset for him. It'd also be nice to see Federer win this one finally, and complete his career grand slam. Almost no major threats to him left.

Federer is re-gaining well from last year.
But I love all of these upsets like Nadal.
It's why poeple play sport

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I couldn't believe rafa went down. Oh well hopefully Federer takes advantage of this and finally locks down the French Open. And hopefully Soderling sticks around after this French Open run. I'm not really a big fan of Dark Horse runs in tennis. The game needs some more longlasting competitition. All we really have to watch right now is Federer and Nadal. Djokovic and Murray are alright I guess but they can't consistently compete on the level of Roger and Rafa. So hopefully Soderling can keep this kind of play going and stir up the game a bit.

tennisace

Actually if you want some exciting competition to watch, watch Juan Martin del Potro. At 6-6, he's a huge force on the court, and was whacking Federer around the court in the first three sets of their match with his powerful forehands and serves. His only problem is his lack of stamina, he lost it in the last two sets against Federer. However, he's only 20 so he has a couple of years to work on it.

I'm rooting for Soderling in the French. I was watching him last night, and MAN did he have some nice shots. It wouldn't surprise me if he beat Federer; I really hope he does. The guy could use a rep boost.

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
FEDERER WINS! I can honestly say I am very happy for him. However, it is a bit ironic he ties Sampras at the French.

Greatest ever? I think so, even with his lack of success against Nadal.
If he wins 15 this year I think that would solidify it.

After Nadal lost, I was pretty convinced that Federer would win. He really had the mindset for it (just the fact that he was all smiles) and played great.

Sampras was boring to watch. Yea, for now Federer is the best player of all time. I'm sure Nadal will have something to say to that. He is only 22 I think.

where was djokovic in the french?

is he disappearing?

and i'm glad for federer

i'm not a fan but its nice that he has all the grand slams

lol nice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)