Monotype The Stupider Bruxish Team (peak #5 on ladder)

A Stupider Bruxish Team: An HO Water RMT

(art by average fella)​

Hello Monotype! I am here to post a team that averagefella and I have been working on. The name of this team comes from aparctias and average fella's meme Bruxish team, https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ts-use-bruxish-a-water-monotype-team.3630818/. Inspired by this team, I decided to create an even stupider team around the fish, hence the name. I started by adding Bruxish as a sort of team builder challenge, and adding as many other memes to the team as I could. To anyone who had the misfortune of running into this on ladder, feel free to pick this team up and try it yourself. It's really fun to use and it's nice to see people rage losing to such a stupid team.

Process
1535682615838.png

Obviously to build a team around Bruxish we need to include Bruxish.
1535682615838.png
1535682631194.png

Bruxish is mostly a worse version of Mega Sharpedo, so to avoid simply running a outclassed pokemon, I deicded to add Mega Sharpedo.

1535682615838.png
1535682631194.png
1535682645680.png

Sharpedo enjoys toxic spikes support. In order to incorporate this while running as stupid a team as possible, I added toxic spikes Cloyster onto the team.
1535682615838.png
1535682631194.png
1535682645680.png
1535682661693.png

As of this point, I wanted to add a toxic spikes absorber, since Cloyster isn't the most reliable form of hazard control. Because Toxapex doesn't really fit on HO and we already have a rapid spinner, Qwilfish was chosen for this purpose. It also helps support the rest of the team by setting spikes.

1535682615838.png
1535682631194.png
1535682645680.png
1535682661693.png
1535682679141.png

We still needed Stealth Rock, and an electric immunity. Seismitoad was used for this purpose, as it can pressure defoggers with poison touch.

1535682615838.png
1535682631194.png
1535682645680.png
1535682661693.png
1535682679141.png
1535682689936.png

At this point, we realized we needed a Bulu check. Since none of the traditional Bulu checks fit on such an offensive team, Pyukumuku was used for this purpose, as it can help our sweepers setup with moves like memento, reflect, and light screen. This is the current state of the team.

The Team

1535682615838.png

Bruxish @ Waterium Z
Ability: Dazzling
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Psychic Fangs
- Waterfall
- Swords Dance

The central meme of the team. Dazzling is used to check Bisharp, Comfey, and Azumarill, all of which are major threats to the team otherwise. Primarily, this mon is used to check the aforementioned threats, as well as sweep types like poison, ground, steel, and even fairy after an SD after the opposing team is weakened enough. 252atk evs and an Adamant nature are absolutely necessary as Bruxish lacks the necessary power otherwise. Waterium-Z is used to OHKO Muk Aloha after an SD, as well as dealing severe damage to threats like Skarmory and OHKOing Mega Scizor at +2, while also KOing Bisharp unboosted. Psychic fangs checks Azumarill even behind reflect, and aqua jet obtains KO's at +2 on things like Landorus-I (after rocks), Mamoswine (after rocks), Nidoking, Excadrill, and Nihilego.

1535682631194.png

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Substitute
- Psychic Fangs
- Protect

Standard Mega Sharpedo. Substitute is here to help with the psychic and ghost mu, both of which can pose problems otherwise, as the rest of the team is not adequately made to handle them, as well as easing set-up. Sharpedo can also sometimes gain a free substitute off of screens or memento. An adamant nature is used to hit as hard as possible, as both Mega Sharpedo and Bruxish can wear down each other's checks so the other can sweep. This is often the main win condition, and it can often sweep with spikes, rocks, toxic spikes, screens, and memento support.

1535682645680.png

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Icicle Spear

This is a pretty standard set on Cloyster in Ubers. I wanted to try to bring this set to monotype, as the set isn't objectively bad and can often set up toxic spikes against fairy without fear of magic bounce (no one sends in Mega Diancle on Cloyster). The moves and the set are standard in Ubers, and play a similar role on this team. Toxic spikes supports Mega Sharpedo, while shell smash + icicle spear make Cloyster a fearsome threat in its own right. Rapid spin is this team's only form of hazard control, and helps preserve Qwilfish's sash.

1535682661693.png

Qwilfish @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Explosion
- Poison Jab

Qwilfish absorbs toxic spikes, sets spikes, has intimidate to help our setup sweepers, and explodes. That is the extent of Qwilfish's capabilities. Still, it does what it does well. Taunt prevents setup and defog, while explosion blocks rapid spin. Poison jab hits all of fairy but Kelfki for relevant damage. I don't need to hit Kelfki as it is hard countered by Cloyster, who spins away its spikes and sets toxic spikes. Focus sash allows qwilfish to lead, and also allows me to check setup sweepers in a pinch if I can keep hazards off the field. Qwilfish makes a particularly good lead when spikes are really good (i.e. vs grass and steel).

1535682679141.png

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Refresh
- Earth Power
- Knock Off

Seismitoad is used to counter electric teams, as well as pressure defoggers with poison touch (since this team is very centralized around hazards). Knock off poison touch is the central meme here. Rocks are standard, and refresh allows you to beat threats such as toxic Zapdos, while also giving you multiple chances to poison things like Mantine. Earth power is mandatory STAB. Maximum HP and SPD allows us to survive grass knot from modest LO Aloha Raichu from full more than 80% of the time, while also allowing you to switch more comfortably into Mega Diancle and LO Kyurem-B.

1535682689936.png

Pyukumuku @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Innards Out
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 14 Def
- Memento
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Recover

Pyukumuku is used as a blanket check to many attackers, a Bulu counter, and a tool to help our setup sweepers (in particular Bruxish, since Bruxish is really frail and has problems setting up a swords dance). A 14 DEF IV ensures that scarf Bulu OHKOS Pyukumuku with horn leech, activating innards out and getting the counter KO when combined with rocky helmet damage. Innards Out is also useful for weakening dangerous threats such as DD Gyarados, and also just weakening things like Tapu Koko to bring the electric team into range of Mega Sharpedo's Crunch.

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Substitute
- Psychic Fangs
- Protect

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Icicle Spear

Bruxish @ Waterium Z
Ability: Dazzling
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Psychic Fangs
- Waterfall
- Swords Dance

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Refresh
- Earth Power
- Knock Off

Qwilfish @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Explosion
- Poison Jab

Pyukumuku @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Innards Out
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 14 Def
- Memento
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Recover

This metagame is getting really stale. People spam the same standard things over and over, partially because they work, and partially because overcentralizing threats like Bulu, Greninja, Toxapex, and Celesteela make it hard to run anything else. For anyone looking to do something different because this metagame is boring as shit, I have a challenge for you. Think of it as as a harder core challenge.

This team has 5 mons that are D rank or below, and 3 unranked mons. I challenge anyone reading this to create a memier team--either use 4 unranked mons, or 6 mons D rank or below--and break top 10 ladder with it. If you do, I'll include a link to your team here.

Thanks for reading! I would appreciate feedback. Let me know what you think, and feel free to take this team and use it. It's a really fun team to use, especially if you enjoy using memes. I'd especially enjoy seeing mons like Bruxish, Qwilfish, and Pyukumuku the on the top 10 most used mons on water for a month.

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)