The Studio - Song Recommendations

• PS! Username: Robbel
  • Song: Caravan Palace - Pirates
  • Link:
  • Genre: Electro Swing
  • Description: Unique sound and overall catchy tune always makes me come back to this song. Mixing in old school swing with electro, these French sure know how to make me dance.

Albatrie

• PS! Username: Albatrie
  • Song: While She Sleeps - Our Legacy
  • Link:
  • Genre: Metalcore
  • Description: This one is from the album called Brainwashed, and I kinda like the youtube version because it adds the little intro (We are alive at night, which is a separated song in the album). Strong Lyrics with a nice rythm, it's pure While She Sleeps and that's why I like it.
Have fun!

PS username: Screamouts
Song: FKJ - Drops feat. Tom Bailey

Genre: Chill/Deep
It's best to listen to it in summer, or when you're travelling. FKJ's electronic style coupled with Tom Bailey's voice is by far one of the best duos in this genre. Really good music

• PS! Username: Skoby
  • Song: Kamelot - Karma
  • Link:
  • Genre: Power Metal
  • Description: Awesome vocals. Has a mix of piano in it. Just an epic song.

PS Username: Screamouts
Song: Ella Henderson - Mirror Man (Alex Adair Remix)

Genre: Chill
This song is by far one of my favorites. When I feel down, I'll listen to this because it's so good. I really recommend it.

• PS! Username: Skoby
  • Song: Kamelot - Karma
  • Link:
  • Genre: Power Metal
  • Description: Awesome vocals. Has a mix of piano in it. Just an epic song.
I'm glad to see this here. Karma is my favorite album ever along with Queen II. How I wish Roy Khan hadn't quit... :(

• PS! Username: Yveltal321
  • Song: Piano Concerto No. 1 in b-flat minor (Tchaikovsky)
  • Link:
  • Genre: Romantic (period of classical music)
  • Description: Played by Evgeny Kissin and Herbert von Karajan; the former of which was but 16 years old at the time. If you can find a recording of Van Cliburn playing this piece (not the 1958 International Tchaikovsky Competition version), it's good too. It is my favorite piano concerto, followed by Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 2 in c minor; if you have time to listen to that too, look for Kissin's and Cliburn's versions. (Personally, I like Cliburn's interpretation more, but only of the first movement.)

Last edited:
PS! Username; searingvolcano
Song: Concerto for Flute and Piano in D major (Cecile Chaminade)
Genre: Late Romantic (period of classical music)
Description: Played here by James Galway. I'm not a flute player, but I can still appreciate the emotions that fill this piece, beginning with such a resolute feeling and then shifting to a sadder, more reflective tone. Galway also doesn't make the mistake that many other musicians make, which is going fast without being careful about the dynamics, intonation, and emotions. Unlike some other types of classical music, romantic music is rarely boring. This piece is great for background music when laddering, studying, and just relaxing. Woodwinds don't get enough love these days.

PS! Username; searingvolcano
Song: Concerto for Flute and Piano in D major (Cecile Chaminade)
Genre: Late Romantic (period of classical music)
Description: Played here by James Galway. I'm not a flute player, but I can still appreciate the emotions that fill this piece, beginning with such a resolute feeling and then shifting to a sadder, more reflective tone. Galway also doesn't make the mistake that many other musicians make, which is going fast without being careful about the dynamics, intonation, and emotions. Unlike some other types of classical music, romantic music is rarely boring. This piece is great for background music when laddering, studying, and just relaxing. Woodwinds don't get enough love these days.
Agreed that winds don't get much love these days; however, that many other musicians make, going really fast without being careful about dynamics, most professionals don't make this mistake (obviously; it's why they're professional); at least, they interpret one style of music well. (An example is Itzhak Perlman, who can play Romantic-period music very well, but would not play Bach as well.) However, it is true that a number of musicians--for the most part, amateurs--make this mistake. I think generally classical music doesn't get enough love these days (though it is true that winds get a lot less love than strings, though they often have important parts, especially the horn).

odalvDaBawss

Two Steps From Hell - Magika
Genre: Classical - best battle music genre

Description: It sounds a bit piratish, it was probably even used in PoC movies, and who the hell hates pirate music :D
As I said this type of music is made for epic balltes. Please give it a try, I know it suits ballting more than stuff I have seen like Ariana Grande and other pop songs. I mean ugh, who listens to crying in war. CHOOSE MANLY GENRES :3

mags

Banned deucer.
PS! Username: magsyy

Song: Cartoons and Cereal

Link:

Genre: Hip Hop

Description: Kendrick is one of the best rappers in the game imo and others believe so to. I love a lot of his songs but decided to post this one because you won't find it on itunes so anyone using apple music and such to listen to tunes would not have heard it. It was released before his album Good Kid Maad City but was never put onto the album so rip

Fissure

Cotton Candy Thighs
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
#1: Your PS! Username: Official Fissure
#2: Song: Tides of Man - Knowing You Have Arrived
#3:
#4: Genre: Rock

#1: Your PS! Username: LucarioKidKaleb
#2: The artist and title of the song you're recommending in the format of: Electric Mudkip - Any of his Pokemon battle remixes!
#3: A link to the audio of your recommendation:
and
are some good examples.
#4: The genre of music in which your recommendation belongs to: Um... Several? Depends on the song...
#5: An optional description to go with your recommendation: Well, this guy made the music for Pokemon Uranium. His music is bound to be good.

Last edited:
PS! Username: Aphrion
Song: Gustav Mahler - Symphony #6
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U6nY9i-u_s
Genre: Classical
Description: An hour and a half of some of the best classical music ever written. I know, sounds stuffy, but there's nothing quite like having a Mahler hammer slam down and vibrate everything in your chest. Besides, someone needed to contribute some classical music to the pool.
Mahler 6 is indeed a great symphony (I've heard it live). Don't worry, you're not the only person contributing classical music, though so far all the ones I've seen (including my own) are romantic-period (where's the Baroque, Classical and 20th Century?).

Mahler 6 is indeed a great symphony (I've heard it live). Don't worry, you're not the only person contributing classical music, though so far all the ones I've seen (including my own) are romantic-period (where's the Baroque, Classical and 20th Century?).
I heard it live too! I sat in the balcony right above the Mahler hammer, which was awesome.
I wasn't going to post another classical piece this week, but hopefully no one minds if I make two recommendations this week.

PS Username - Aphrion (just to make sure the box is checked)
Song: Punch Brothers - Magnet
Link: https://youtu.be/iXE_K2Kpoqc?t=10m32s
Genre: Country - Neo-bluegrass (I think)
Description: From some of the best classical to some of the best...country music. Seriously though, I didn't like bluegrass at all until I heard "Magnet". Now, I'm super into it. This particular video also features Punch Brothers playing a couple other songs, which are just as good, and NPR's Tiny Desk series is a beautiful thing unto itself, take a look at some of their videos.

Song: Evan Ziporyn, bass clarinetist (composed by David Lang) - Press Release
Link:
Genre: Classical - 20th century
Description: I mentioned in passing on the Mahler post that I play bass clarinet. If there were ever a standard repertoire list for bass clarinet like virtually all the other orchestral woodwinds have, I would put this piece on that list*. It's incredibly hard to play, since the meter starts in 8/8 and continues to add or remove 16 notes to the meter almost continuously - if I remember correctly, on the first page alone, the meter changes at least 15 times to meters like 15/16 or 23/16, and that's a really conservative estimate for meter changes. If, however, you can overcome that, along with the inherent difficulty of playing the ever changing note patterns, and really bring out the music, it will sound incredible. That's just what Evan Ziporyn has done here.
*Another piece that unambiguously belongs on that hypothetical list is Eric Dolphy's solo arrangement of "God Bless the Child", but I'll do that one next week.

I heard it live too! I sat in the balcony right above the Mahler hammer, which was awesome.
I wasn't going to post another classical piece this week, but hopefully no one minds if I make two recommendations this week.

PS Username - Aphrion (just to make sure the box is checked)
Song: Punch Brothers - Magnet
Link: https://youtu.be/iXE_K2Kpoqc?t=10m32s
Genre: Country - Neo-bluegrass (I think)
Description: From some of the best classical to some of the best...country music. Seriously though, I didn't like bluegrass at all until I heard "Magnet". Now, I'm super into it. This particular video also features Punch Brothers playing a couple other songs, which are just as good, and NPR's Tiny Desk series is a beautiful thing unto itself, take a look at some of their videos.

Song: Evan Ziporyn, bass clarinetist (composed by David Lang) - Press Release
Link:
Genre: Classical - 20th century
Description: I mentioned in passing on the Mahler post that I play bass clarinet. If there were ever a standard repertoire list for bass clarinet like virtually all the other orchestral woodwinds have, I would put this piece on that list*. It's incredibly hard to play, since the meter starts in 8/8 and continues to add or remove 16 notes to the meter almost continuously - if I remember correctly, on the first page alone, the meter changes at least 15 times to meters like 15/16 or 23/16, and that's a really conservative estimate for meter changes. If, however, you can overcome that, along with the inherent difficulty of playing the ever changing note patterns, and really bring out the music, it will sound incredible. That's just what Evan Ziporyn has done here.
*Another piece that unambiguously belongs on that hypothetical list is Eric Dolphy's solo arrangement of "God Bless the Child", but I'll do that one next week.
Which orchestra did you hear perform it (and under which conductor)? (I heard the Philadelphia Orchestra under Simon Rattle just a few weeks ago.)

Which orchestra did you hear perform it (and under which conductor)? (I heard the Philadelphia Orchestra under Simon Rattle just a few weeks ago.)
The Philadelphia Orchestra under Simon Rattle? Dang, that sounds like it was amazing.
It was actually a summer camp orchestra, which probably doesn't sound reputable at first and I don't know if you'd recognize it, but it was the Young Artist's Orchestra program at Tanglewood this summer under the baton of Paul Haas. Even though no one was old enough to drink in that orchestra except the conductor, it was still incredibly professional in sound and execution. I just found a video of that exact performance, and it was taken fairly close to where I was sitting, so if you want to take a quick look here's a link:

• Pokemon Showdown Username: MarikaBestGirl
  • Song: Lansdowne - Mississippi
  • Genre: Rock
  • Description: Modern Rock w/ a few Harmonization
A really underrated band that went completely under the radar. The few albums they produces are phenomenal for their genre and would recommend them to anyone who has an interest.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)