The Studio - Song Recommendations

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png

Did I scare you?

No?

It's been a long time since I did something like this.

Anyways, songs.

I Wanna Stay the Same
Genres: not adding any cause im lazy lmao
The Make Believes
Description: Look, I know this may seem upbeat n stuff, but just, listen to the lyrics, and like, a story analysis or game walkthrough on We Happy Few since the game is basically walking simulator, it's pretty "a sign of the times" song if I say so myself. lmao

Iowa
Genres: Metal, uuuhhh Metal, and Metal, i dont feel like putting in a lot of time into this :P
Slipknot
Description: Listening to 15 minutes of crows crowing and little girls screaming will probably make you insane like the sociopath guy in the song.

Alone Infection
Genres: uhhhh, Guilty Gear????? (I count Guilty Gear as its own genre now :P)
Arc System Works (Technically)
Description: Song about a doktor who went insane over losing a patient. Boowomp-

Uh, that's it, maybe for now, might add another eventually, but for now,
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
BOO

Clouds

False Pretenses
is a Forum Moderatoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
porygon2november.gif

November Song Recommendations
This month's theme is songs that relate to food or beverages in some form or fashion

[# Room Owners]
:staraptor: Clouds:staraptor:
Song:
zeph - strawberry milk
Genre: bedroom pop
Description: lost in my daydream...

:espeon: Rage :espeon:
Song: MF DOOM - Rapp Snitch Knishes feat. Mr Fantastik
Genre: Rap
Description: Rap snitches, telling all their business
Sit in the court and be their own star witness
Do you see the perpetrator? Yeah, I'm right here
Fuck around, get the whole label sent up for years, uh

[@ Room Moderators]
:shiftry: BT89 :shiftry:
Song:
Mariah Carey - Honey
Genre: Contemporary R&B
Description: she invented true romance with this one

:quagsire: Gota Love Yaoi :quagsire:
Song: J Dilla - Last Donut of the Night
Genre: HalInstrumental Hip Hop
Description: I give to you and give to you

:shuckle:
mdm :shuckle:
Song:
Alestorm - Magyarország
Genre: Power/Folk Metal
Description: SO LETS GET DRUNK IN HUNGARY

:noctowl: noct :noctowl:
Song:
ween - pork roll egg and cheese
Genre: brown
Description: music that stallions listen to

:piplup: roviet :piplup:
Song: Sweet Trip - Fruitcake and Cookies
Genre: Idk
Description: When being fruity isn't enough

:sandshrew:Tenshi :sandshrew:
Song:
Waitress - What Baking Can Do
Genre: Musical
Description: So with flour on my hands I'll show them all how goddamn happy I am

[% Room Drivers]

:pangoro: coronal :pangoro:
Song: Portishead - Biscuit
Genre: Trip hop
Description: It was always either this or Biscuit Town

[+ Room Voices/Alumni]
:marill: Pacific Marill :marill:
Song: kid travis - Strawberry Skies
Genre: hip-hop
Description: A tasty beat, with good flow. Just like I imagine strawberry skies would be

:skitty: pisx :skitty:
Song: Loossemble - Strawberry soda
Genre: k-pop
Description: bright synthy wonderland of sound reminding you of summer days gone by ☆

:hoppip: Sificon :hoppip:
Song: Adele - I Drink Wine
Genre: Pop
Description: A classic Adele song which fits perfectly for a cold autumn like we have right now

Tenshi's November mashpotato does the cooking by the book:

That's all for this month! See you next month for the final set of recs of '23

Last edited:

mdm's top 5 albums of November!
Hiiiiii I'm back again with another monthly top 5 list!! I know I missed October, honestly there was really just not that much that got my attention and stuck with me. Thankfully, there was a bit more in November that stuck with me. I had at least a good 7 albums to pick from that I really enjoyed, compared to the 4 from October.

Number 5:
Cirkeln - The Primitive Covenant
Black Metal with Punk
Influences, FFO modern Darkthrone​
Imagine modern Darkthrone's sound + epic fantasy lyrics, specifically Tolkien, and you get this album. The production value present on this album isn't the greatest, but I feel it helps enhance the atmosphere and feel of the album, as a more clean production would not benefit the album in the slightest. While it's not something that is present in the lyrics themselves, the musician behind the band is also a very vocal anti-fascist, which is always something that is amazing to see in a scene with such a large issue of it. As stated by the band themselves, this is their most aggressive album yet and it shows, as the Bathory influence present on previous albums has been switched out for a very punky edge.
Stand out track(s): The Witch Bell and His Master's Coils

Number 4:
Venus - Obscured Until Observed
Progressive Thrash Metal
, FFO Vektor, Black Fast, Vexovoid​
Have you been missing Vektor the past few years? No? I haven't been either due to the tons of Vektor influenced prog thrash we have gotten since Terminal Redux, with Venus being the most recent of the bands to fall into this niche. Having formed in just 2021, this album is a rather strong debut from a band in a genre full of high quality competition. As is the case with basically all the Vektor clones, not only are you getting Vektor thrash in terms of just the music itself, but you are also getting Sci-Fi lyrics as well as a vocalist who is doing his best David DeSanto impersonation possible. There's nothing new really being taken to the scene with this album, but that still does not change the fact of this album being a rather solid slab of progressive thrash metal.
Stand out track(s): Subatomic Search for Human Cosciousness

Number 3:
DGM - Life
Progressive Power Metal, FFO Symphony X, Angra, Pagan's Mind​
DGM once again returning with another masterclass example of progPower metal. Great riffs, amazing vocals, good levels of cheese, emotional, what more is there to really ask for from a power metal album? This album hits pretty much everything required for a good power metal album imo. Despite the fact that they had a very rough start with their first few albums, DGM have quickly made themselves into one of the most consistent bands in the modern power metal scene, ever since 2007 when they picked up Mark Basile on vocals. While they haven't exactly been improving the quality for the last 3 albums, that is honestly perfectly fine as they're already great as is. However, this album has what is possibly their best sub-6 minute track in To the Core. I can't really say much else about this album without also just going into their previous albums as well, as there isn't much different here from those. Just some incredibly high quality progressive power metal that basically any fan of the genre can appreciate.
Stand out track(s): To the Core

Number 2:
Green Lung - Heathen Land
Stoner/Doom Metal/Rock, FFO Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats, The Sword​
Probably the album I've listened to the most from November, there is tons of replayability here. I'm probably on my... 8th list of the album now? And I have yet to get bored of it at all. I honestly don't really have anything to say here, this is easily going to be a contender for my top 5 albums of the year. This is just some incredibly fun and enjoyable stoner metal. Listen to it, you will not regret it.
Stand out track(s): Mountain Throne, Maxine (Witch Queen), and Oceans of Time

Number 1:
Panopticon - The Rime of Memory
Atmospheric Black/Folk Metal, FFO Wolves in the Throne Room, Wayfarer​
Panopticon is a project that needs no introduction whatsoever to those acquainted with black metal. Perhaps the single biggest band in the red and anarchist black metal scene, anyone who has any level of familiarity with leftist metal should know this project. This is another pretty standard entry into the Panopticon discography, but that is not a bad thing when you are releasing material of such high quality on a semi-frequently basis. Unlike a lot of the albums released by Lunn, the lyrics have actually been published and are listed on the album's bandcamp page. As such, we can read the beautiful lyrics that Lunn had written for the album, which are very heavily focused around nature and environmentalism, specifically as stated by Lunn himself "a rant about the climate crisis and wilderness advocacy". Even if you are not a fan of black metal, I recommend at least giving the notes about the album a read, as its a beautiful read. Pretty damn close to a perfect 10/10 album.
Stand out track(s): Literally the entire album​

Last edited:

Clouds

False Pretenses
is a Forum Moderatoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
porygon2december.gif

December Song Recommendations
It's that time of year! Songs this month are fit for the holiday season

[# Room Owners]
:staraptor: Clouds:staraptor:
Song:
GlitchxCity - Lake of Rage Remix
Genre: VGM
Description: to complement a light snowfall, hot chocolate, and a fireplace

[@ Room Moderators]
Song:
The Pogues - Fairytale of New York (ft. Kirsty MacColl)
Genre: Celtic Rock
Description: delightfully depressing celtic christmas music, RIP shane macgowen

:shuckle:
mdm :shuckle:
Song:
King Diamond - No Presents for Christmas
Genre: heavy metal
Description: you better have behaved this year or else King Diamond will make sure you don't get any presents

:sandshrew:Tenshi :sandshrew:
Song 1:
Sara Bareilles, Ingrid Michaelson - Winter Song
Description: lonely december vibes

Song 2: JH - Peppermint Candy Cane
Genre: Christmas
Description: fuck u I'm doing two, this is the song the kindergarten classes I'm student teaching with are learning for their christmas program and it has been helplessly stuck in my head

:greedent: za :greedent:
Song: Wham! - Last Christmas
Description: quintessential Christmas music

[% Room Drivers]
:marill: Pacific Marill :marill:
Song: YOU'RE A MEAN ONE MR. GRINCH (TRAP REMIX)
Genre: Trap
Description: Go into Christmas with a BANGER.

[+ Room Voices/Alumni]
:pichu: namda :pichu:

Song: Chieri Itō - Merry Christmas
Genre: City Pop
Description: a super fun city pop song released in the 80s to celebrate xmas in japan <3

Song: LABOUM - "Winter Story"
Genre: K-pop
Description: stunningly gorgeous beautiful cinematic masterpiece showcasing the levels of excellence possible with $5 and a dream

Song: Lindsey Stirling (ft. Becky G) - Christmas C'mon
Description: I'm usually not a huge Lindsey Stirling fan anymore but this song is a very good classic, upbeat and happy christmas song that fits perfectly

Tenshi's December mashpotato is, allegedly, singing Mariah Carey:

1702350965027.png

That's a wrap on monthly recommendations for the year!

Next time around will be best of the year, so feel free to pitch in your 2023 favorite(s) when the time comes

Last edited:

Fissure

Cotton Candy Thighs
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Clouds

False Pretenses
porygon2january.gif

January Song Recommendations
As always, this month's theme is our best of the prior year recommendations. This time, it's Best of 2023!

[# Room Owners]
:staraptor: Clouds :staraptor:
Song: Tinashe - Treason
Genre: Pop, R&B
Description: the peak of BB/Ang3l

[@ Room Moderators]
Song: yeule - dazies
Genre: Dream Pop
Description: yeule delivers again with one of the most ethereal tracks of the year. they manage to create a track that is simueltaniously nostalgic and very innovative, combining the sounds of 90s alt-rock with yeule's usual glitchy style.

Song: George Clanton - Everything I Want
Genre: The kids are calling it chillwave apparently but i think its more like dream pop or something
Description: Most 90s song of 2023 it sounds like when you look at the old pepsi logos compared to now and the new one is all shitty and minimalist and boring but the old ones are cool (like the song) I know comparing a song to a soda company logo is the most american thing ever but i promise it makes sense.

:sandshrew: Tenshi :sandshrew:
Song: Birdy - I Wish I Was A Shooting Star
Description: One taste of what it's like to burn out and never die

:greedent: za :greedent:
Song: Ne Obliviscaris - Suspyre
Genre: Progressive Metal
Description: same album as last year’s song of the year but idc

[% Room Drivers]
:marill: marillvibes :marill:
Song: Kali Uchis - Moonlight
Genre: R&B/Soul
Description: Kali quickly became my favorite artist this year, and Moonlight is a song I've had on repeat days in a row. An absolute vibe that just keeps me in a good mood

:applin: Opple :applin:
Song: King No One - I Feel Strange
Genre: Indie Rock, Indie, Rock.
Description: I Feel Strange is a rock song from the little known UK based band King No One. It explores the scary changes happening in the UK political and social landscape through a catchy beat. The group are very comparable to Nothing But Thieves or other more known rock and indie bands. This song has certainly been a favourite of mine that was released in 2023. Much like their song Not Willing To Sacrifice My Life.

[+ Room Voices/Alumni]
:dragonite: GentleDnite :dragonite:
Song: Lilas Ikuta [幾田りら]- Answer
Genre: J-pop; pop
Description: Having gotten into jpop this year, I have came across many hits and bops and this is one of the most memorable ones of the year. Blending Lilas Ikuta's smooth, silky and angelic voice with soft pop, layered with melachonlic yet uplifting undertones, this song is extremely loopable. I highly recommend this, especially when you're tired after a long day :).

Song: ROSALÍA - LLYLM
Description: This song always puts me in a good mood as it has just very uplifting and amazing vibes to it. I don't speak spanish and thus don't understand 80% of the song but that doesn't stop me from loving it!

This series of recommendations was brought to you by Tenshi's DJ Mash, back again with the hottest hits of the year:

1704571147227.png

See you next month with a refresh!

Clouds

False Pretenses
porygon2february.gif

February Song Recommendations
This month brings a twist: a chain in which each recommendation relates to the above in some way

1707282831612.png

Song: Dance With The Dead - I'm Your Passenger
Genre: Dark Synthwave
Description: all chains must begin somewhere

:jigglypuff: Fame :jigglypuff:
Song: Have A Nice Life - A Quick One Before the Eternal Worm Devours Connecticut
Genre: Soul crushing songs for sad people :(
Description: Deathconsciousness is dance music for sad people, right?

Song: Newfound Interest in Connecticut - Five Years of Work and We Built That Song
Genre: midwest emo
Description: people must be really sad in connecticut

:pichu: namda :pichu:
Song: Starship - We Built This City
Genre: Pop rock, Synth-pop, Rock
Description: honestly i don't know how i only just found out about this song 23 years into LIFE LIKE IT SLAPS?? HELLOO???

:cofagrigus: Melt Gibson :cofagrigus:
Song: Pat The Bunny - This City Is Killing Me
Genre: folk punk
Description: makes you wonder why we built it tbh

Song: Sara Bareilles - City
Description: There's nothin here to hold on to

:shuckle: Madeline :shuckle:
Song: The Sword - Night City
Genre: Stoner/Heavy Metal
Description: Stick around if you think you can survive

:cloyster: Klmondo :cloyster:
Song: imase - NIGHT DANCER
Genre: J-Pop
Description: Dance to your heart's content

1707282831612.png

Come join us in The Studio on Sunday, February 18th at 1:00 PM EST for our Lunar New Year event! This event will include a mix of discography trivia, audio track identification, name the album by cover, and more.

See you next month with a new set of recommendations!

Clouds

False Pretenses
porygon2march.gif

March Song Recommendations
This month's theme was songs written, sung, and/or produced by women!

[# Room Owners]
Song: Mariya Takeuchi - Have a Good Time Here
Genre: J-Pop
Description: you may know her as the artist who created the timeless citypop hit "Plastic Love" in 1984... she's back & just released this single at the end of last year for the Pokemon Concierge animated series on Netflix. did i mention she also released this at 68 years old?

Song 1: Chelsea Wolfe - House of Self Undoing
Genre: Darkwave, Post-Industrial
Description: New Chelsea album and its not all acoustic and thats pretty sweet, one of the best off of it imo

Song 2: Mitski - Stay Soft
Genre: Art Pop, Indie Rock
Description: Wasn't really a fan of Mitski's last album, so here's a song from the album before it

Song 3: Emma Ruth Rundle - Protection
Genre: Singer-Songwriter, Contemporary Folk, Ethereal Wave, Shoegaze, Slowcore, Doomgaze <- shoutouts RYM
Description: Underrated singer songwriter in my humble opinion

Song 4: Zola Jesus - Soak
Genre: Dark Wave, Art Pop
Description: Another underrated artist, this is a dark album

Song 5: Carly Rae Jepsen - Beach House
Genre: Dance Pop
Description: Fun song

[@ Room Moderators]
Song: Beth Gibbons - Floating on a Moment
Genre: Chamber Folk
Description: the goddess of trip-hop makes the most stunning psychedelic, folky statement to mark the release of her debut album (which feels crazy to say)

:applin: Opple :applin:
Song: Sara Bareilles - Love Song
Description: We all know the story of this song! Sara was told by her record label her music wouldn't sell if she didn't write them a love song, so she wrote this in response! Girlboss moment.

Song: cibo matto - sugar water
Genre: trip hop
Description: cool song and actually a cool video too la la la la la la la la la

Song: Shania Twain - Man! I Feel Like A Woman
Genre: Country
Description: Women

[% Room Drivers]
Song: Zhavia - Deep Down
Genre: r&b
Description: Zhavia is such an underrated artist, and this is one of my favorites from her

[+ Room Voices/Alumni]
:drifblim: Acid Techno :drifblim:
Song: Faye Webster & Mei Ehara - Overslept
Genre: Alternative Country

See you next month with a refresh!

Clouds

False Pretenses
porygon2april.gif

April Song Recommendations
This month's theme was songs fit for a rainy day!

[# Room Owners]
Song: HEIZE - You, Clouds, Rain
Genre: K-Pop
Description: more or less my default song when it comes to rainy day music, and of course she gives me a shoutout in the title cause we're besties

:typhlosion: Elliot :typhlosion:
Song: Raekwon ft. Ghostface Killah, Blue Raspberry - Rainy Dayz
Genre: Hip Hop / Rap
Description: On rainy days I sit back and count ways on how to get rich

Song 1: Alice in Chains - Rain When I Die
Genre: Grunge/Heavy Metal
Description: Off of their famous album Dirt, this song goes hard in the paint rain

Song 2: Guns N Roses - November Rain
Genre: Hard Rock, Rock N Roll
Description: from lastfm: "November Rain" is a single by the band Guns N' Roses, written by lead singer Axl Rose and released in June 1992. The music video for this song, also released in 1992, quickly became the most requested video on MTV, and won an MTV Video Music Award for Best Cinematography. It features a sweeping orchestral backing and is one of Guns N' Roses' longest songs."

Song 3: Novembers Doom - Rain
Genre: Death/Doom Metal
Description: catchy death metal imo

Song 4: Billy Talent - Rusted From the Rain
Genre: Rock
Description: One of the most overplayed songs of 2009, but had to include some Canadains here

Song 5: Dio - Bring Down the Rain
Genre: Heavy Metal
Description: RIP DIO, this from one of his lesser appreciated albums, Strange Highways

[@ Room Moderators]
Song 1: Scott Walker - It’s Raining Today
Genre: baroque art pop
Description: name aside, this is genuinely one of the most forward thinking and stunning songs of the 60s, perfect blend of melancholia and bliss to reminisce on during a rainy day.

Song 2: Sade - Kiss of Life
Genre: smooth neo-soul
Description: just absolutely sublime and silky

Song: Lose Control - Teddy Swims
Genre: Pop/R&B
Description: Really had a hard time deciding on this one! For me, on a rainy day I need something with a good beat that has me in my feels a little bit. This song is an absolute BANGER and I think fits that vibe.

Song: grouper - heavy water / i’d rather be sleeping
Genre: progressive dreamfunk

Song: Okami - Dragon Palace
Genre: OST
Description: Okami is peak for all weather

:mantine: Venous :mantine:
Song 1: Just For A Day - Sunday - TM Juke
Genre: Downtempo
Description: So many directions I could've taken this so I had to take part this time. When you're stuck inside because of the rain and you're daydreaming about being on a sunny beach someplace tropical instead, this is what that sounds like

Song 2: ブリーズ (Breeze) - Jiro Inagaki and His Soul Media
Genre: Jazz fusion
Description: If jazz isn't a rainy genre then idk what is

[+ Room Voices/Alumni]
Song: PURPLE KISS - 2am
Genre: K-Pop
Description: Romantic, jazzy ballad-type arrangement that's easy on the ears, perfect for a lax day spent looking out your raindrop-stained window, reminiscing.

April showers bring May flowers, so that means next month's theme is...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)