Challenge The Nuzlocke Challenge - Mark 2

OK. Time for an update.

So, I decided to restart my SoulSilver. But, I ended up doing a Nuzlocke on it anyway.

Pokemon:

Quil II (Cyndaquil)
Lv. 12
Careful Nature
Ability: Blaze
-Tackle
-Smokescreen
-Leer
-Ember

#Joey (Rattata)
Lv. 12
Modest Nature
Ability: Guts
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
-Bite

Gen II (Gastly)
Lv. 9
Jolly Nature
Ability: Levitate
-Hypnosis
-Lick
-Spite
-Mean Look

Badges: 1
PC: Toohhoot (Hoothoot)
ElderLi (Bellsprout)
I don't remember the name (Wooper)
Dead: None.

Battle: vs Falkner
The Pidgey was no problem, but Pidgeotto was hard. I had to Leer spam it down to -6 then Quick Attack it. Also, Gen II proved to be useful when it switched into a Tackle and put it to sleep with Hypnosis. Then #Joey used Quick Attack to land the kill.

Update time!

Team:
Finn (Magikarp)
Lv. 10
Hardy Nature
Ability: Swift Swim
-Splash
-
-
-

#Joey (Rattata)
Lv. 13
Modest Nature
-Tackle
-Pursuit
-Quick Attack
-Bite

Gen II (Gastly)
Lv. 12
Jolly Nature
-Hypnosis
-Lick
-Spite
-Mean Look

Quil II
Lv. 13
Careful Nature
-Tackle
-Leer
-Quick Attack
-Ember

Comments: Finn is a PAIN to train. I think I'll just replace him later on, once I get the Good Rod. #Joey has Pursuit, to deal with Scyther's U-turn. Also, I got terrible natures for all of my Pokemon(besides Finn).

Update time!

Team:
Finn (Magikarp)
Lv. 10
Hardy Nature
Ability: Swift Swim
-Splash
-
-
-

#Joey (Rattata)
Lv. 13
Modest Nature
-Tackle
-Pursuit
-Quick Attack
-Bite

Gen II (Gastly)
Lv. 12
Jolly Nature
-Hypnosis
-Lick
-Spite
-Mean Look

Quil II
Lv. 13
Careful Nature
-Tackle
-Leer
-Quick Attack
-Ember

Comments: Finn is a PAIN to train. I think I'll just replace him later on, once I get the Good Rod. #Joey has Pursuit, to deal with Scyther's U-turn. Also, I got terrible natures for all of my Pokemon(besides Finn).
No, your Magikarp also has a terrible nature. (Hardy is one of the neutral natures)

No, your Magikarp also has a terrible nature. (Hardy is one of the neutral natures)
For in-game I usually consider neutral natures to be pretty decent, considering the alternatives. Getting a truly positive nature isn't exactly something you can count on unless you can re-catch lots of stuff, which obviously isn't possible in a Nuzlocke so I usually consider any nature that doesn't actively hinder me to be pretty decent.

DarthMagikarp85

Might be worth hanging onto Finn if you're willing to tough it out, Gyarados is extremely good in Gen IV games since it finally gets Physical water moves to work with and learns Dragon Dance by level up (pretty late but still by level up). It's nice because it can actually take on Grass types with Ice Fang and it's nuetrality. Just make damn sure to keep it away from anything that has an electric move eh?

For in-game I usually consider neutral natures to be pretty decent, considering the alternatives. Getting a truly positive nature isn't exactly something you can count on unless you can re-catch lots of stuff, which obviously isn't possible in a Nuzlocke so I usually consider any nature that doesn't actively hinder me to be pretty decent.

DarthMagikarp85

Might be worth hanging onto Finn if you're willing to tough it out, Gyarados is extremely good in Gen IV games since it finally gets Physical water moves to work with and learns Dragon Dance by level up (pretty late but still by level up). It's nice because it can actually take on Grass types with Ice Fang and it's nuetrality. Just make damn sure to keep it away from anything that has an electric move eh?
Oh yeah and Finn is a Girl.

Guys, i thought this would be the best place to ask this, because im very close to loosing my pokemon Y nuzlocke... I have just defeated succesor Korrina, and my current team is: Lucario lv. 32, hasty with PuP, SD, Bone Rush and Metal Sound. Golbat Lv. 33 lonely with protect, confuse ray, acrobatics and bite. That is all i have, and i am honestly scared to proceed. I have had my encounters on all prior routes, as well as route 12. I have a level limit equal to that of the next gym leader and i play on set mode. Any suggestions on how i can turn this shitty situation around?

Guys, i thought this would be the best place to ask this, because im very close to loosing my pokemon Y nuzlocke... I have just defeated succesor Korrina, and my current team is: Lucario lv. 32, hasty with PuP, SD, Bone Rush and Metal Sound. Golbat Lv. 33 lonely with protect, confuse ray, acrobatics and bite. That is all i have, and i am honestly scared to proceed. I have had my encounters on all prior routes, as well as route 12. I have a level limit equal to that of the next gym leader and i play on set mode. Any suggestions on how i can turn this shitty situation around?
Golbat and Lucario are great for the next gym, so don´t worry about it.
I would recommend catching something in Azure Bay and Route 13(ground type for the 5th gym) before you get to the 4th gym, to grind them up during your next encounters. If you can still fish in some prior routes (Parfume Palace or some cities for example) you can get the Super Rod after Route 12.
Anyway if you haven´t crossed Route 12 yet, you should get a Luvdisc in Cyllage(?) City to stay fine with your rules. Box it after you get some better Surf Pokemon in one of the remaining routes or have a nice Luvdisc sitting in the back of your team.
You should be fine, have fun!

Golbat and Lucario are great for the next gym, so don´t worry about it.
I would recommend catching something in Azure Bay and Route 13(ground type for the 5th gym) before you get to the 4th gym, to grind them up during your next encounters. If you can still fish in some prior routes (Parfume Palace or some cities for example) you can get the Super Rod after Route 12.
Anyway if you haven´t crossed Route 12 yet, you should get a Luvdisc in Cyllage(?) City to stay fine with your rules. Box it after you get some better Surf Pokemon in one of the remaining routes or have a nice Luvdisc sitting in the back of your team.
You should be fine, have fun!
Thank you, i like the idea of fishing in parfume palace ^^ I can use temporarily hm slaves for surf, so thats not a problem!

Golbat is great for the next two gyms (3rd and 4th) and the 6th one, odd gems like Meowstics and Mr. Mimes notwithstanding. But you need a ground type desperately. Try the area before Lumiose city

I really just want opinions on this. After you beat the nuzlocke and become the champion (I know not all nuzlockes end there, but most of them do). What do you think about the pokemon that died doing the elite four, should you release them, or did they get revived when you entered the hall of fame?

I really just want opinions on this. After you beat the nuzlocke and become the champion (I know not all nuzlockes end there, but most of them do). What do you think about the pokemon that died doing the elite four, should you release them, or did they get revived when you entered the hall of fame?
The challenge isn't over until you return to your room after the credits have rolled at least, so anything dying during any battle up to this point, including AZ/Brendan/May is still dead. (actually they're the main reason for me saying returning to your room after the credits) But it's up to you in the end, and what you've imposed on yourself for the challenge.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
After beating the Champion, you go home and then have to run to the next city to find a PC, so they can be released/permaboxed. However, upon arrival home your mom informs you that contrary to what you might think, Pokémon never die in battle. They merely faint, and it's a bit astounding (and embarassing) that you've made it that far as a trainer without noticing that. Struck by this new and amazing knowledge, you realize that you can keep your Pokémon around for as long as you want, regardless of whether they lose a battle or ten.

The challenge isn't over until you return to your room after the credits have rolled at least, so anything dying during any battle up to this point, including AZ/Brendan/May is still dead. (actually they're the main reason for me saying returning to your room after the credits) But it's up to you in the end, and what you've imposed on yourself for the challenge.
You're right, I just don't won't to release them when the challenge is already over... I would release them if the challenge was not over but what else is there to do in XY after the elite four?

After beating the Champion, you go home and then have to run to the next city to find a PC, so they can be released/permaboxed. However, upon arrival home your mom informs you that contrary to what you might think, Pokémon never die in battle. They merely faint, and it's a bit astounding (and embarassing) that you've made it that far as a trainer without noticing that. Struck by this new and amazing knowledge, you realize that you can keep your Pokémon around for as long as you want, regardless of whether they lose a battle or ten.
Because there wasn't enough hints of this already?
What does she know, she have never experienced real Pokemon battles! We are able to distinguish the dead from simply fainted Pokemon. Ones you have seen your Pokemon take it's last breath, you are not in doubt.

You're right, I just don't won't to release them when the challenge is already over... I would release them if the challenge was not over but what else is there to do in XY after the elite four?

Because there wasn't enough hints of this already?
What does she know, she have never experienced real Pokemon battles! We are able to distinguish the dead from simply fainted Pokemon. Ones you have seen your Pokemon take it's last breath, you are not in doubt.
Go to Lumiose. You'll soon find a small post-game thing called the Looker missions. Regardless, they're still casualties of your challenge even if it is over, but do what you want.

I don't really think they are anywhere near challenging for a nuzlocke, might consider ^^
Well considering Emma/Essentia's final battle has several teams one after the other, ending with a level 68 Crobat and level 70 Malamar, and very few remaining places to catch a new Pokemon, it could be a little more challenging than initially thought. You can also participate in one Maison battle to make your rival appear in Kiloude and beat their pants off. It's not a particularly hard battle, but they do at least have a full team of six.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey everyone, this thread looks really neat, so I might as well do a challenge run here!
Will do updates and everything tomorrow, have some homework to do, but here are the rules:

Am calling it the Vialocke
ROM: Pokemon Blaze Black 2, hack by Drayano
Normal Nuzlocke Rules apply, fainted pokemon=dead,catching one each route blahblahblah
Shiny Mode: Any encountered shinies can be caught, but must fit with the viability clause.
Legendary Mode: Legends are allowed and can be used, but must fit with the Viability clause.
Viability Clause: Only Pokemon that are UU or below can be caught and used. I'll be referring to the ORAS Viability rankings and the stats as of now, not the BW2 ones. If the first Pokemon I find in an area does not comply with this rule I am allowed to keep searching until I find one that does. For example if I find an Azurill on my route I can't use it (unless i only use marill), but i can keep searching until i find, say, a mareep.
Random starters: Starters have been randomized on this site: http://randompokemon.com/ (Choosing duosion) Due to game restraints, I will be unable to use a universal pokemon randomizer and will instead use Pokegen to gen my starter in. I'll use the most legit way possible i.e closing my eyes and doing randomize ivs etc..
Proof of my starter:

Will do updates later.
EDIT: FML Should've randomized natures as well, too late now...

Attachments

All right, I'm going to start a blind Pokemon black Nuzlocked challenge. I have actually never played BW1 before, so I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun ^^. Because I am doing it blind, I don't want to go too hard on myself, so I'm going with the classic rules. I don't know if the game will be hard or easy, and I honestly haven't done any research on it jet. This is not really a rule, but I won't do research on any battles.

Rules:
1. The player may only capture the first Pokémon he or she encounters in an area.
2. If a Pokémon faints, it is considered "dead" and must be released immediately.

Fire Red Nuzlocke! Everything is in the spoilers

1. Box all fainted Pokemon. There's a 'Graveyard' Box in my PC. Also, for every defeated Pokemon starting after Lavander Town I must go to the Pokemon Tower, go in front of a grave, and throw one of my most valuable items at the time (including the Master Ball - this outta be fun)
  2. Catch only the first non-repeated Pokemon you see in each route/town/cave. All areas in a route count as a single one (so no buying Magikarpp in Route 4 unless it's the first encounter. Shiny Pokes and Safari Zone are exceptions, though none may enter battle.
  3. Nickname all Pokemon. All must be original nicknames.
  4. No trading. Only mean of playing GBA is a DS Lite, so it's not like I could anyways :/
  5. No healing items/Rare Candies or the sort. PP Ups are allowed though. E4 is gonna be a bloodbath
  6. At no point should your team be 3 levels above the highest leveled Pokemon of the next Gym Leader/Gary Battle (including the Champion battle at the end of the game). E4 does not count as Gym Leaders, so at least I get a breath on that. Now, since Koga/Erika/Surge/Sabrina/Blaine can be beaten in pretty much any order, I'll set a rule that states that Gyms have to be beaten in their badge order
  7. Whiting out = Death. If I ever let all my Pokemon die, I'll go with them

The current survivors of this bloodbath called 'Fire Red Nuzlocke'

Pokemon: TheDrowner (Male Squirtle)
Level: 11
Nature: Quiet
Ability: Torrent
Moveset: Tackle / Tail Whip / Bubble / Withdraw

Pokemon: Mr. Bites (Male Rattata)
Level: 11
Nature: Brave
Moveset: Tackle / Tail Whip / Quick Attack

The not-so-lucky Pokemon that were assassinated by our enemies or died of their battle wounds u.u

Pokemon: Kickboxin' (Male Mankey)
Level: 4
Nature: Quirky
Ability: Vital Spirit
Moveset: Scratch / Leer
Last move used: Scratch
Cause of death: Being hit in the heart too hard
Assassin: Wild Mankey
Tool used for murder: Scratch

They'll be done after every Gym Leader (after first three Sevii Islands in Blaine's case), after every Legendary location (Moltres is included with Sevii Islands), after Victory Road, after Silph Co. is rescued, after every rival battle that is not too close to other events (i.e. Route 22 first time, Lavander Town, Championship) and after game is finished (game finishes after I catch Mewtwo).

First update:

After obtaining my starter Pokemon, a Squirtle named TheDrowner, battling my rival (a sore loser I must say), traveling to Viridian City and back, and obtaining the Pokedex and Pokeballs, I started the challenge. First catch was... Mr. Bites, the Rattata! Alright, I have another partner now :) I headed for Route 22 to catch my next Pokemon: Kickboxin', the Mankey. After grinding TheDrowner and Mr. Bites to level 10, I proceeded to grind Kickboxin'. However, a fellow Mankey critted it, damaging its heart and killing it instantly :( First death already, without reaching Gary (from now on named Light). I reached Light and went through his battle with Mr. Bites alone.

Last edited:
HEY… uh how do you do the spoilers? Imma edit this with my Platinum locke once I figure that out XP

Rules:
1). Catch ONLY the first pokemon you see on each route
2). Nickname all pokemon
3). Faint = Dead => Put in a "dead" box.
4). Shinies, legendaries, and HM slaves may be caught but CANNOT BATTLE (even though Giratina is technically a first encounter O.O)

ok, thanks! editing now

1. Catch the first unowned pokemon in each route, ONLY
2. If a pokemon dies, permabox it
3. Nickname EVERYTHING
4. HM slaves, shinies, and legendaries can be caught but not used (Except Giratina, because it is the first and only encounter in the Distortion World

"Hello! Are you a boy or a girl?"
*A A A A A A A A A A A A A A*

"Barry, did you take your meds?"

"NOPE! IMMA FINE U MONEY IF U DON'T GET HYERE ON TYIME!!!"

"Ok then…"

Barry makes stupid mistakes, we get pokemon, we find poke balls, yadayadayada

Donatello(Turtwig)(F)
Lv 9
-Tackle
-Withdraw
-Absorb
-
(the name would've fit a male a lot more…)

HERP DERP(Bidoof)(F)
Lv 4
-Tackle
-
-
-
(ugh… the Rattata of Sinnoh…)

Jesus Bird(Starly)(M)
Lv 2
-Tackle
-Growl
-
-
(Bird Jesus is copyrighted, so the next best thing…)

Nala(Shinx)(F)
Lv 6
-Tackle
-Leer
-
-
(This was a pain to catch)

In jubilife city (I HATE THE CLOWNS) not much happens, I get the fishing rod, and get over to Oreburgh, with 2 new additions!
FISHYFISHY(Magikarp)(M)
Lv 8
-Splash
-
-
-
(will be useful later)

CoolStory(Zubat)(M)
Lv 9
-Leech life
-Supersonic
-
-
(In homage to CoolStoryBroBat)

Ah, Oreburgh City! Nothing happens here (except for fossils)

Go to the next route, get a machop! Trading that for the Abra (I'm not getting fossil Pokemon)
Into the annoying mine that none ever remembers!

After finding Roark, catching a pokemon and trading, NEW ADDITIONS!!
LetIt Rock(Geodude)(F)
Lv 9
-Tackle
-Defense curl
-
-
(Meh, Boxing)

Kazza(Abra)(F)
Lv 5
-Teleport
-
-
-
(Well, best it can get is Kadabra, not trading, but still good against Infernape)

With 6 pokemon team, time to face ROARK!
LOL RAZOR LEAF LITERALLY 1HKO'ED EVERYTHING

That's it for now!

Donatello(Turtwig)(F)
Lv 17
-Tackle
-Withdraw
-Absorb
-Razor Leaf

FISHYFISHY(Magikarp)(M)
Lv 8
-Splash
-
-
-

Jesus Bird(Starly)(M)
Lv 5
-Tackle
-Growl
-
-

Nala(Shinx)(F)
Lv 6
-Tackle
-Leer
-
-

CoolStoryBro(Zubat)(M)
Lv 12
-Leech life
-Supersonic
-
-

Kazza(Abra)(F)
Lv 5
-Teleport
-
-
-

LetIt Rock(Geodude)(F)
Lv 9
-Tackle
-Defense curl
-
-

HERP DERP(Bidoof)(F)
Lv 6
-Tackle
-
-
-

None (For now)

PS: Don't have my DS with me, and forgetting the natures. Will get the natures in soon!

Last edited:
Not many people doing Nuzlockes it seems... well I kick off this thread again with the continuation of the one I started back in November.

Rules:
1. Pokemon faints it goes in "Memorial Box"
2. Can only catch first Pokemon that is encountered per route
3. Species and Species Evolution Clause in Effect
4. Only 2 non-held items can be used per battle
5. Pokemon Centers can only be visited 3 times per city
6. Poke-marts can only be visited 3 times per city
7. Game set to Set
8. All Pokemon must be nicknamed
9. Nickname Theme - As Punny as Possible
10. Starter Pokemon counts as being obtained in Little Root, not Route 101

- Continued from Petalburg to Route 104
- Ran into the Tall Grass and Captured Shelby the Wurmple, forgetting that I had wanted puns as names. But it is after Shelby from Adventure Time so it is kinda Ok, at least I have my Brawley Beater now
- Battled through route 104 and into Petalburg Woodsy
- Shelby Evoled to Cascoon!
- Captured A Fun Guy the Shroomish
- Fought off the Aqua Goon.
- Got out of Petalburg Woods
- Got Bullet Seed and Taught it to Lilith. She needs a decent STAB if I want to keep using her effectively
- Defeated trainers to get to Rustboro City
- Trained a bit around the surrounding routes until my team got to a decent level. Made sure to use a Repel on Route 116 so I can catch a Whismur in Verdenturf Tunnel and have another chance to catch something unique on that route
- Shebly Evolved to Dustox!
- Entered the Rustboro Gym and approached Roxanne for Battle

Gym Battle: Zoran vs Gym Lead Roxanne

VS

VS

*Cue Battle Music*
A Fun Guy against Geodude
Vs

Turn 1:
A Fun Guy Used Absorb, It is Super Effective!!
Geodude Used Rock Tomb, A Fun Guy's Speed is Lowered

Well I did quite a hefty chunk of damage with Absorb, about 2/3, but it just isn't a strong enough move coming off my level 12 Shroomish to KO. Geodude's Rock Tomb does a healthy 1/3, and with that speed drop I begin to worry I may be in trouble later in the match. But all I can do is keep firing off absorbs and hope it all works out.

Turn 2:
Gym Leader Roxanne Used a Potion
A Fun Guy Used Absorb, It is Super Effective

So Roxanne uses up one of her 2 Potions, which I am totally fine with. Geodude is back to 1/3 health remaining and A Fun Guy is all healed up. Another Absorb seems like what I need now.

Turn 3:
Geodude Used Defense Curl, it's Defense is raised
A Fun Guy Used Absorb, it is Super Effective, Geodude faints! A Fun Guy grows to level 13! Gym Leader Roxanne sends out Geodude

That was a much greater success than I thought it was going to be. The Defense Curl was a nice gift, and the level up will certainly be a benefit in the rest of the battle. After the first Geodude, I pretty much know how this round will go. So cue a rerun of the above text!!

A Fun Guy against Geodude
Vs

Turn 4:
Geodude Used Rock Tomb, A Fun Guy's Speed is Lowered
A Fun Guy Used Absorb, It is Super Effective!!

Turn 5:
Gym Leader Roxanne Used a Potion
A Fun Guy Used Absorb, It is Super Effective

Turn 6:
Geodude Used Defense Curl, it's Defense is raised
A Fun Guy Used Absorb, it is Super Effective, Geodude faints! A Fun Guy grows to level 14! Gym Leader Roxanne sends out Nosepass

A Fun Guy Against Nosepass
Vs

Now the real battle begins. Geodude was just a warm up. Nosepass, being a mono Rock type and bulkier than Geodude, will be much more of a challenge to defeat. But luckily with the training I did A Fun Guy has some moves that will be a great help here.

Turn 7:
A Fun Guy Used Stun Spore, Nosepass is paralyzed and may be unable to move!
Nosepass used Block! A Fun Guy cannot escape!

My Stun Spore made perfect contact, but that block was not something I wanted. I really wanted to be able to retreat if needed to Lilith. Now A Fun Guy is on her own. But I still have a plan to complete anyway.

Turn 8:
A Fun Guy used Leech Seed. Nosepass avoided the attack!
Nosepass used Harden! Its defense was raised!

To be honest, I didn't realize this missed, as will be shown next turn. But this was an unfortunate turn of events, because I lose a turn and risk a lot of damage being taken. But I have to try again. Having the constant healing and damage is crucial.

Turn 9:
A Fun Guy used Absorb, it is Super Effective!
Nosepass used Rock Tomb, the attack Missed!

So we both lose a turn. Luckily at this point I realize the mistake of last turn and move to rectify it.

Turn 10:
A Fun Guy used Leech Seed! Nosepass was Seeded!
Nosepass used Rock Tomb! A Fun Guy's Speed is lowered. Nosepass' health was sapped by the Leech Seed

With my plan completed, I can now take stock of the full situation. Even though I have Nosepass Paralyzed and Seeded, Absorb isn't doing much damage, roughly only an eighth of Nosepass' health or so. Meanwhile Rock Tomb does about 1/4 to A Fun Guy, though with her healing it is more like 1/6 as well. Honestly I can't do much here but keep plowing through with Absorb.

Turns 11, 12, 13:
A Fun Guy used Absorb, it's Super Effective!
Nosepass used Rock Tomb! A Fun Guy's Speed is lowered. Nosepass' health was sapped by the Leech Seed!

Yeah, like I said, all I can do is Absorb. Really there were no surprises here, except for the Oran Berry which Nosepass held, which had me concerned for a bit. But as of now both sides sit at about half health. While I know I will win the Gym Battle as of now, this has now become a Battle for A Fun Guy. Can she survive this ordeal? Will she live to see her full potential?

Turn 13:
Nosepass is paralyzed it cannot move! Nosepass' health was sapped by the Leech Seed!

At long last! I get a free turn from the paralysis, which at this point has only kept Nosepass slower than me even with the speed drops (which is pretty helpful in all honesty). But one free turn from damage puts me nicely in a slightly above orange health range, while my foe is at about 1/3 of the way from being defeated.

Turn 14:
Nosepass used Tackle! Nosepass' health was sapped by the Leech Seed!

Surprisingly Nosepass moves first, doing some decent damage. But my Absorb and Leech Seed help deal with some of that and Nosepass is now only a turn away from defeat.

Turn 15:
A Fun Guy used Absorb, it's Super Effective! Nosepass Fainted! A Fun Guy Leveled Up! Zoran defeat Gym Leader Roxanne!

- Successfully defeating Roxanne, I save my game

A Fun Guy *F (Petalburg Woods)
Level 14
Hardy
Stun Spore, Leech Seed, Absorb, Tackle
Opinion: While she performed exceptionally in Roxanne's Gym, she is still weak and needs support. Carrying the most success under her belt moves her to the MVP spot for this chapter, and I'm sure upon evolution that trend will continue.

Lilith *F (Route 102)
Level 12
Serious
Bullet Seed, Absorb, Astonish, Absorb
Opinion: Disappointed this chapter simply because she couldn't perform due to A Fun Guy being blocked. If she survives long enough she will be a real power, but for now she needs protection and is a real long term investment.

Clucknoris *M (Littleroot)
Level 11
Mild
Scratch, Growl, Focus Energy, Ember
Opinion: While underused this chapter due to his team finally catching up, Clucknoris is still arguably the strongest and most reliable member of the team. Hopes are high for him.

Agullable *F (Route 102)
Level 9
Jolly (Meh)
Water Gun, Growl, Supersonic
Opinion: With a shallow movepool and poor nature, I question how long I will use Agullable. They are pretty common, especially on the water Routes, so I might change him out. But he does have on of the strongest STABs on the team, so we will see.

Shelby *M (Route 104)
Level 10
Serious
Tackle, Poison Sting, Harden, Confusion
Opinon: Shelby has one use and one use only - to smoke Brawley. Once that is achieved he will most likely be boxed. I am pretty confident on his survival until that time. Though I also have the option of bypassing Brawley until I am stronger...

BitO'life *M (Route 101)
Level 3
Sassy
Tackle
Opinion: None. Poocheyena isn't good.

Overall things look good. Though I lack in reserve Pokemon I have a strong team (though lacking in type differentials and coverage). However, that will change once the team starts evolving. I am looking forward to the future, and I feel things will turn out alright.

Pokemon Centers:
Oldale, Petalburg, Rustboro (One Visit Remaining)

PokeMarts:
Oldale, Petalburg, Rustboro (Two Visits Remaining)

I'm going to do a Nuzlocke in X.
Rules:
1. Can only catch first Pokémon encountered per route.
- Dupes clause: if I already have it, or a pre-evolution of it, I can try again. Example:
2. Pokémon faints, it goes into a Graveyard box.
3. May catch any Shiny Pokémon, but must perma-box them ASAP.
4. Game set to Switch.
5. All Pokémon must have a nickname.
6. Nickname theme: Food
7. No legendaries - Xerneas must be immediately boxed on capture.
8. Starter is decided by Trainer ID. Kanto starter must be the one that is strong against the Kalos starter (i.e. if I pick Fennekin, I must go with Squirtle.)
9. The Snorlax counts as my Route 7 encounter.

Current Location: Cyllage City

"Pumpkin" Linoone
Level: 20
Ability: Pickup
Moves:
Baby-Doll Eyes, Tackle, Tail Whip, Headbutt
Evolved from Zigzagoon on: July 18, 2015
Evolved from Zigzagoon at: Glittering Cave

"Honey" Vespiquen
Level: 21
Ability: Pressure
Moves: Sweet Scent, Gust, Bug Bite, Slash
Evolved from Combee on: July 18, 2015
Evolved from Combee at: Glittering Cave

"Watermelon" Wartortle
Level: 21
Ability: Torrent
Moves: Tackle, Water Gun, Bubble, Bite:
Evolved from Squirtle on: July 17, 2015
Evolved from Squirtle at: Route 6

"Cheese" Snorlax
Level: 19
Moves: Rest, Chip Away, Return, Amnesia

"Linguini" Tyrunt
Level: 20
Ability: Strong Jaw
Moves: Stealth Rock, Bite, Bide, Charm

"Cake" Sandile
Level: 19
Ability: Intimidate
Moves: Assurance, Mud-Slap, Torment, Thief

"Pasta" Sentret
Level: 12
Moves: Scratch, Foresight, Defense Curl, Quick Attack
Replaced by: Snorlax

"Beef" Dunsparce
Level: 17
Ability: Serene Grace
Moves: Pursuit, Screech, Rollout, Defense Curl
Replaced By: Sandile

"Apple" Pidgey
Level: 16
Ability: Keen Eye
Moves: Tackle, Sand Attack, Gust, Quick Attack
Replaced By: Zangoose

"Crackers" Zangoose
Level: 16
Ability:

"Muffin" Fennekin
Level: 9
Moves: Scratch, Tail Whip, Ember
Died On: 7/15/15
Died At: Route 22
Killing Pokémon: Dunsparce, Level 7 (yes, the same one I caught)
Killing Move: Rollout, Turn 4

Route 2: Zigzagoon (caught)
Santalune Forest: Kakuna (killed)
Route 3: Pidgey (caught)
Route 22: Dunsparce (caught)
Route 4: Combee (caught)
Lumiose City: Squirtle (given)
Route 5: Bunnelby (killed)
Route 6: Sentret (caught, later swapped for Snorlax)
Route 7: Snorlax (caught)
Route 8: Zangoose (caught)
Ambrette Town: Tyrunt (given)
Route 9: Sandile (caught)
Glittering Cave: Lunatone (caught, didn't use)
Cyllage City: Luvdisc (killed)

Update 3:
  • Went to Café Soleil, talked to Diantha and Lysandre.
  • Battled Tierno and won with no casualties
  • Found a Bunnelby on Route 5, killed it
  • Made it to Camphrier Town, entered Shabboneau Castle, talked to Cassius
  • Got the Attack, Defense, and Special Attack O-Powers
  • Completed Parfum Palace sidequest
  • Caught a Sentret on the way back to Camphrier Town
  • Squirtle evolved into Wartortle.
  • Caught Snorlax - used up Route 7 encounter.
  • Boxed Sentret - still alive.

Evaluation so far:
  • Fairly good so far, Squirtle will be handy against Grant.
  • Snorlax is a good HM slave, Pidgey is about to evolve
  • Hoping for a Meditite as my Connecting Cave encounter - I don't need any more Normal-types right now.

Last edited:
I recently finished a DEATHLESS Emerald Nuzlocke with Treecko as a starter :O I also had a restriction: No TMs unless I can get infinitely many copies of said TM.

I don't really remember where I caught everything but I'll provide some commentary on my team:

Nature: Timid
-Flash
-Cut
-Strength
-Leaf Blade

Poor, poor Treecko. It ran through Roxanne's team and then immediately began sucking shit. Cut was its strongest attack from Petalburg City until after Flannery (because stupid me forgot to go into Rusturf Tunnel. I even went to Verdanturf for some EXP.), which is not good. The Timid nature did not help either. Flash was actually Pursuit until Victory Road but once I got there I figured I didn't really need the extra PP and it was REALLY weak. Still, I found myself depending on its Leaf Blade very often, so points for that I guess.
Rating: 6.5/10 (use Mudkip)

Nature: idr
-Tackle
-Poison Sting
-Gust
-Absorb
Boxed after: Brawly

This is an improvement from my last Nuzlocke, when my Beautifly got killed by a crit Reversal after putting Brawly's Makuhita at 1 HP. It's not like it really mattered, though, since I boxed it right after Brawly anyways. For a while after getting rid of it, Grovyle was literally soloing the game, but I don't regret getting rid of it.
Rating: 5/10 (it's really really good against early-game opponents)

Nature: Gentle
-Bite
-Spark
-Thunder
-Thunderbolt

Saying Manectric carried is an understatement. In the mid-game, it was a weak piece of shit that, upon evolution, plowed through Wattson's team with Spark, and it only got better from there. Very often I had Manectric lead as I rotated EXP. Share between the weaker members of my team, and especially in the late-game as all the opponents were weak to it, it would carry really hard. In fact, the only reason I had Sceptile take Wallace was because Manectric was stealing all its EXP. It was just that much better. Not to mention that I certainly would have lost a mon to May 2 had I not had this guy.
Rating: 9/10 (not putting 10 because lolrayquaza)

Nature: idr
-Body Slam
-Flamethrower
-Protect
-Ember
Boxed after: Flannery

I had used Torkoal before in a playthrough with an RNGed team, and it sucked. I used it in this run mostly so I wouldn't die to Flannery. It turns out I didn't need to level him all the way to 30 because Camerupt doesn't even have a Ground-type move! Male gender was particularly annoying but it got through alright. I had no wish to repeat that previous run, however, so I ended up boxing Torkoal in favor of the next mon, a decision I regret.
Rating: 4/10 (mostly from previous experience)

Nature: Brave
-Rock Slide
-Flamethrower
-Ember
-Yawn

Torkoal may be bad, but Slugma is worse. Torkoal can't run from wild Pokemon, but at least it can take hits, unlike Slugma. Slugma evolved sometime during the whole Magma/Aqua fiasco from EXP. Share EXP and became 4x weak to Water just in time for all the Water routes. Magcargo still can't run from wildmons, but at least it had a little bulk to take a couple hits. It was barely not 2HKOed by Water Guns coming from Staryu ten levels lower than it >.<. Against Winona it actually managed to take out Tropius and Skarmory, but only after Tropius had set up Sunny Day. It redeemed itself a bit in the E4 when it took on Drake's Salamence one-on-one and killed it with Flame Body burn damage, as well as doing some work against Sidney and Glacia.
Rating: 3/10 (too much water)

Nature: Hardy
-Dragonbreath
-Take Down
-Secret Power
-Fly

Ahh, Altaria. It was absolutely useless up to its evolution, which was at Fortree City. It was incredibly clutch against Winona's Altaria, however, which would otherwise have swept my team. In the late-game its power and lack of SE coverage was disappointing compared to the rest of my team, and the only E4 member it could take on was Drake. In the end, though, Altaria was bulky enough to fall back on (such as against Tate and Liza), which means I can't be too harsh on it.
Rating: 5/10

Nature: Sassy
-Crunch
-Strength
-Dragonbreath
-Dig

This time, I tried something new with Trapinch--holding off evolution until Level 41. The Sassy nature made it especially challenging as wild Pokemon at level 25 would outspeed it at level 40, but the difference between Trapinch and Slugma was that Trapinch's Strength could actually OHKO pretty much everything it hit, which made grinding it not so bad. In fact, I liked the Trapinch stage better than the Vibrava one because at least Trapinch could kill everything in sight. As Flygon its typing was godly and its bulk wasn't so bad, letting it survive Ice Beam from Wallace's Tentacruel, among other attacks. Its gym matchups were less than stellar but since it basically soloed Phoebe and killed some of Wallace's mons, I can forgive that.
Rating: 6/10

HM Slaves used: Marill for Dive/Surf/Waterfall/Rock Smash, Abra for Teleport. I actually never caught a Zigzagoon the entire run.

Speaking of the randomly generated team challenge, that was probably the most hell I've had to endure on an Emerald playthrough. The team was Slaking/Banette/Camerupt/Torkoal, which meant Slakoth had to solo the early-game. Let's just say Slakoth can't do that very well, especially when at level 13 you fail to OHKO level 6 wildmons. I grinded the thing to level 19 for Faint Attack and evolution so it could beat Roxanne. Banette did surprisingly well though (I held back evolution for a long time for early Shadow Ball), and Slaking's Hyper Beam OHKOed everything (including Juan's infamous Kingdra).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)