The Next Best Thing [Current Subject: Tapu Bulu]

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
I fuck with ethan06's specs landorus-therian set. At first it seems like some Japanese cartridge garbage or just some BSS low ladder bullshit that id post about in the salty Spitoon but then I realize this set is actually much more then that. Some people just want to watch the world burn and that's the beauty of it. In fact I'm probably going to run this set when I get home from my wrestling meet and yes I'm going to pair it with magnezone and Z-mimikyu because I'm here on smogon for the bitches and bitches love to see counter sets and lures.

Ethan 06's Choice Specs

What can I say, I love a good gimmick set, and this one has good enough calcs that it can be justified as a potential lure. I would vote for the poisinium z set, but it feels like it doesn't have high enough damage output.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would vote for ethan's specs set since it's closest to my thought process, but being choice locked into ground / poison (even ice) is way too easy for people to exploit and creates a heavy prediction game for the user, hence why i really like the Z option I nominated. I really like chemcoop's sash set (I've been known to use that myself) but it's already a semi-common thing, and imo kinda goes against the spirit of the thread (i'm not saying everything should be memes here, but sash lando should be a strategy dex set).

So i'm voting for Broken Phobias' Gravity + Groundium set. It's clever because it means your opp has to switch in bulu / venu or something gets chunked. also bopping steela / skarm is really nice and gives you a way to beat stall (beware of Hypnosis / Wisp Gengar though!!)

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
chemcoop's Sash Explosion

Consistent rocks, consistent damage. Probably would've voted for Adrenaline Orb if it'd been SD bc that just sounds really threatening against opposing Landot switchins but I think chem's set does the most work

Congratulations to ethan06 for winning this week's Next Best Thing! Your submission will be logged in the Archive!
This week we're looking at one of the most solid Megas this generation: Mega Metagross! Thanks to its insane coverage, great attack, and solid speed tier, Metagross is one of the best options for an offensive mega. So, with all that in mind, what is The Next Best Thing (TM) for Mega Metagross?

You have until Friday (1/26) at 9:00 p.m. EST (GMT-5) to post your submissions. Best of luck to everyone!

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Grass Knot
- Thunder Punch

Zard Y/Hippo/Lele teams got you feeling blue?
No worries, here's a Metagross for you~~

Grass Knot takes advantage of Mega Meta's Tough Claws to deliver a 2HKO on Hippowdon that will shock your opponent into a rage quit (or at least a forfeit). T-Punch 2HKOs SpDef Celesteela and bops non-bulky Zard Y as well as giving you a better damaging move than Iron Head vs Fini.

Calcs:
4- SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 144-170 (66.9 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4- SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 100-118 (46.5 - 54.8%) -- 56.6% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 148-176 (96.7 - 115%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

P.S. Worth noting that Ice Punch actually does more to SpDef Hippo than Grass Knot. However, since you can't actually tell whether or not it's SpDef Hippo in Team Preview, just go for Grass Knot on the expected Hippo switch-in and then decide your next play based on the damage.

P.S.S. the 4 SpA investment actually does make a significant difference in the roll on SpDef Hippo! Don't forget the 4 EVs!

Last edited:

Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock

a lead set, or just a set to get the ball rolling vs opposing offense on an offensive team. rocks gets chip and deals with fire mons like zard and volc if ur team struggles vs them. rock tomb allows you to still beat those mentioned fires if they come in while you set rocks. and most offensive mons in the back will appreciate the rock tomb speed drops as well if you need it. dropping ice punch is a little whack but as long as you have iron head meta still does meta things.

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature

-Meteor Mash / Iron Head
-Zen Headbutt / Ice Punch / Thunder Punch
-Toxic / Protect
-Stomping Tantrum

The idea of this set is to ohko aegislash with stomping tantrum after using either toxic or protect as your opponent switches in one of the best metagross counters in the game... or so they thought. After using a move that fails, stomping tantrum becomes a 150 bp contact ground move which destroys all variants of aegislash. You don't even have to play around with king's shield mind games because who in their right mind clicks king's shield against a metagross that just used toxic? alternatively you can beat aegislash 1v1 if you use protect, however it has less utility than toxic. First turn you go for protect as they attack with their aegi, second turn you protect again as they go for kings shield to avoid taking an earthquake in blade form, your double protect fails (because if you're like me you only get god tier rng) and then you proceed to knock it out with stomping tantrum next turn.

Calcs:

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Stomping Tantrum (150 bp) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Aegislash-Shield: 170-200 (101.7 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
shiny meta.png

:fire: (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
EVs: 220 Atk / 36 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Thunder Punch / Rock Slide / Earthquake

I would slash Grass Knot on here but I don't wanna steal / one-up chemcoop's nomination (but really the best mixedgross is hp fire + grass knot). Ferro is super annoying for Meta, so burn it with fire!
36 SpA Mega Metagross Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 88-108 (48.6 - 59.6%) -- 97.3% chance to 2HKO
It's also really good for Kartana and Scizor which otherwise set up in front of Meta all day (or even stall with Helmet Kart or bulky Scizor!)
36 SpA Mega Metagross Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kartana: 232-276 (171.8 - 204.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

vs

220 Atk Mega Metagross Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 49-58 (36.2 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
36 SpA Mega Metagross Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 204+ SpD Mega Scizor: 76-92 (42.9 - 51.9%) -- 3.5% chance to 2HKO

vs

220 Atk Mega Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Mega Scizor: 44-52 (24.8 - 29.3%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO
my nom bops 3 counters/checks so it is objectively the best please vote for me :bloblul:

Last edited:
Submissions are now closed! There are to be no edits of your own Pokemon, nor are there to be any new submissions. A few quick things to note;
  • Voting will close on 1/29 at 9:00pm EST (GMT-5), where the next subject will also be announced
  • You can't vote for your own submission
  • You can only change your vote once, so think carefully before doing so
  • You can vote even if you haven't made a submission. It is expected that you vote if you did submit yourself, but not compulsory

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Grass Knot
- Thunder Punch

Zard Y/Hippo/Lele teams got you feeling blue?
No worries, here's a Metagross for you~~

Grass Knot takes advantage of Mega Meta's Tough Claws to deliver a 2HKO on Hippowdon that will shock your opponent into a rage quit (or at least a forfeit). T-Punch 2HKOs SpDef Celesteela and bops non-bulky Zard Y as well as giving you a better damaging move than Iron Head vs Fini.

Calcs:
4- SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 144-170 (66.9 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4- SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 100-118 (46.5 - 54.8%) -- 56.6% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 148-176 (96.7 - 115%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

P.S. Worth noting that Ice Punch actually does more to SpDef Hippo than Grass Knot. However, since you can't actually tell whether or not it's SpDef Hippo in Team Preview, just go for Grass Knot on the expected Hippo switch-in and then decide your next play based on the damage.

P.S.S. the 4 SpA investment actually does make a significant difference in the roll on SpDef Hippo! Don't forget the 4 EVs!

Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock

a lead set, or just a set to get the ball rolling vs opposing offense on an offensive team. rocks gets chip and deals with fire mons like zard and volc if ur team struggles vs them. rock tomb allows you to still beat those mentioned fires if they come in while you set rocks. and most offensive mons in the back will appreciate the rock tomb speed drops as well if you need it. dropping ice punch is a little whack but as long as you have iron head meta still does meta things.
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature

-Meteor Mash / Iron Head
-Zen Headbutt / Ice Punch / Thunder Punch
-Toxic / Protect
-Stomping Tantrum

The idea of this set is to ohko aegislash with stomping tantrum after using either toxic or protect as your opponent switches in one of the best metagross counters in the game... or so they thought. After using a move that fails, stomping tantrum becomes a 150 bp contact ground move which destroys all variants of aegislash. You don't even have to play around with king's shield mind games because who in their right mind clicks king's shield against a metagross that just used toxic? alternatively you can beat aegislash 1v1 if you use protect, however it has less utility than toxic. First turn you go for protect as they attack with their aegi, second turn you protect again as they go for kings shield to avoid taking an earthquake in blade form, your double protect fails (because if you're like me you only get god tier rng) and then you proceed to knock it out with stomping tantrum next turn.

Calcs:

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Stomping Tantrum (150 bp) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Aegislash-Shield: 170-200 (101.7 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:fire: (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
EVs: 220 Atk / 36 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Thunder Punch / Rock Slide / Earthquake

I would slash Grass Knot on here but I don't wanna steal / one-up chemcoop's nomination (but really the best mixedgross is hp fire + grass knot). Ferro is super annoying for Meta, so burn it with fire!
36 SpA Mega Metagross Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 88-108 (48.6 - 59.6%) -- 97.3% chance to 2HKO

It's also really good for Kartana and Scizor which otherwise set up in front of Meta all day (or even stall with Helmet Kart or bulky Scizor!)

36 SpA Mega Metagross Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kartana: 232-276 (171.8 - 204.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs
220 Atk Mega Metagross Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 49-58 (36.2 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

36 SpA Mega Metagross Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 204+ SpD Mega Scizor: 76-92 (42.9 - 51.9%) -- 3.5% chance to 2HKO
vs
220 Atk Mega Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Mega Scizor: 44-52 (24.8 - 29.3%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO

my nom bops 3 counters/checks so it is objectively the best please vote for me :bloblul:

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader
cant say's HP Fire MegaGross because I love the taste of lightly salted opponents after their Ferrothorn gets cooked by a super computer.

cant say's Hidden Power Fire

I seldom use this set myself and I was gonna nom this but alas. Messing one of the greatest annoyance to megagross named ferro alone makes this cool set to consider using.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
NOVED

Meta has a habit of luring Charizard / Volcarona from your opp, so either nailing them with Rock Tomb, or getting rocks up for them later, is really sweet.

Congratulations to cant say for winning this week's Next Best Thing (as usual)! Your submission will be logged in the Archive!
This week we're continuing the trend of offensive megas and are looking at one of the best pokemon in the gen 7 meta: Mega Salamence! Mega Salamence is one of the kings of Battle Spot Singles thanks to its amazing stats that lets it be able to run tons of different sets that can be customized to a team's every need. So, with all that in mind, what is The Next Best Thing (TM) for Mega Salamence?

You have until Friday (2/2) at 9:00 p.m. EST (GMT-5) to post your submissions. Best of luck to everyone!

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 148 Atk / 124 SpA / 236 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Nothing much is special about this except you always win one on one against other Mega Salamence, non-choice scarf Garchomp (which KOes you after Stealth Rock through Intimidate), and break through Celesteela.

You get ****ed by Mimikyu and p2 anyway so I think this is the most versatile option. EV's let you outspeed jolly chomp, 2hko cele, and retain as much damage as possible on Double-Edge.

124 SpA Salamence-Mega Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 124 SpD Celesteela: 96-114 (47 - 55.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Salamence Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate -> Aerilate
EVs: 244 Hp / 164 SpD / 100 Spe
Careful
- Return / Frustration / DE
- Dragon Dance
- Double Team
- Roost

The idea of this set is to use either zapdos or p2 as set-up fodder for double team. Usually sub dd mence isn't able to break through p2 and zapdos because you're vulnerable on any turn where you attack and don't KO the opponent. If you can get 1 DT off as they bring in the counter and another one as they attack, then you can safely roost up until they inevitably miss, and once they do you continue to set up in their face until you have an unstoppable +6 +6 +6 salamence. This is the only thing I could come up with that I haven't seen used on mence before, but be warned, this is a bad set for bad players and if you vote for it, you are bad. The speed EVs are enough to outspeed neutral base 100s btw (blaziken).

Some Calcs:

0 SpA Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 164+ SpD Salamence-Mega: 92-112 (45.7 - 55.7%) -- 57% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Analytic Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 164+ SpD Salamence-Mega: 156-184 (77.6 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. +6 Evasion 244 HP / 164+ SpD Salamence-Mega: 0-0 (0- 0%) -- Possibly the worst move ever.
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. +6 Evasion 244 HP / 164+ SpD Salamence-Mega: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- Possibly the worst move ever.
252+ Atk Mimikyu Twinkle Tackle (175 BP) vs. +6 Evasion 244 HP / 0 Def Salamence-Mega: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- Possibly the worst move ever.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay

nice check (Salamence) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 204 Atk / 52 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge / Return
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Roost

3 attacks + Roost isn't necessarily "new" but I think the set is getting better more recently since hit-and-run seems to work better with Mence rather than try and set up only to get walled by Mimi or Steela lol. Stone Edge is the cool part because 3 attacks Mence (which traditionally has EQ) is normally set up fodder for Thund-T. If you hit, Thund is gone. EVs are boring, I just gave it enough SpA to OHKO physdef Ferro and 2HKO physdef Steela. There's probably a better spread. You could possibly use EQ over Roost but the healing is really nice vs stall / fat teams.

Submissions are now closed! There are to be no edits of your own Pokemon, nor are there to be any new submissions. A few quick things to note;
  • Voting will close on 2/5 at 9:00pm EST (GMT-5), where the next subject will also be announced
  • You can't vote for your own submission
  • You can only change your vote once, so think carefully before doing so
  • You can vote even if you haven't made a submission. It is expected that you vote if you did submit yourself, but not compulsory

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 148 Atk / 124 SpA / 236 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Nothing much is special about this except you always win one on one against other Mega Salamence, non-choice scarf Garchomp (which KOes you after Stealth Rock through Intimidate), and break through Celesteela.

You get ****ed by Mimikyu and p2 anyway so I think this is the most versatile option. EV's let you outspeed jolly chomp, 2hko cele, and retain as much damage as possible on Double-Edge.

124 SpA Salamence-Mega Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 124 SpD Celesteela: 96-114 (47 - 55.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Salamence Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate -> Aerilate
EVs: 244 Hp / 164 SpD / 100 Spe
Careful
- Return / Frustration / DE
- Dragon Dance
- Double Team
- Roost

The idea of this set is to use either zapdos or p2 as set-up fodder for double team. Usually sub dd mence isn't able to break through p2 and zapdos because you're vulnerable on any turn where you attack and don't KO the opponent. If you can get 1 DT off as they bring in the counter and another one as they attack, then you can safely roost up until they inevitably miss, and once they do you continue to set up in their face until you have an unstoppable +6 +6 +6 salamence. This is the only thing I could come up with that I haven't seen used on mence before, but be warned, this is a bad set for bad players and if you vote for it, you are bad. The speed EVs are enough to outspeed neutral base 100s btw (blaziken).

Some Calcs:

0 SpA Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 164+ SpD Salamence-Mega: 92-112 (45.7 - 55.7%) -- 57% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Analytic Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 164+ SpD Salamence-Mega: 156-184 (77.6 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. +6 Evasion 244 HP / 164+ SpD Salamence-Mega: 0-0 (0- 0%) -- Possibly the worst move ever.
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. +6 Evasion 244 HP / 164+ SpD Salamence-Mega: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- Possibly the worst move ever.
252+ Atk Mimikyu Twinkle Tackle (175 BP) vs. +6 Evasion 244 HP / 0 Def Salamence-Mega: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- Possibly the worst move ever.

nice check (Salamence) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 204 Atk / 52 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge / Return
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Roost

3 attacks + Roost isn't necessarily "new" but I think the set is getting better more recently since hit-and-run seems to work better with Mence rather than try and set up only to get walled by Mimi or Steela lol. Stone Edge is the cool part because 3 attacks Mence (which traditionally has EQ) is normally set up fodder for Thund-T. If you hit, Thund is gone. EVs are boring, I just gave it enough SpA to OHKO physdef Ferro and 2HKO physdef Steela. There's probably a better spread. You could possibly use EQ over Roost but the healing is really nice vs stall / fat teams.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)