the (late) tko dpp dump

approved by fiend & quote

Introduction

hi. my name is tko.

Backstory:

There was a time where ORAS LC was becoming a very unenjoyable metagame for me to play in. The metagame was getting drawn out, Drifloon was very unenjoyable to face, Diglett and Gothita trapped everything, and as a result, I (personally!) thought ORAS LC was not worth it to play.

I sure as hell didn't want to be playing ORAS for LCPL, so I looked into other options. Thankfully, GOAO posted a DPP LC tour, and I decided to join it for fun. While it was just some random forum tour, it made me realize how fun of a tier without team preview, without Eviolite, and with Gligar was.

I made it to finals, haxed Heysup, got johned by OP, lost to OP, then ultimately lost the round robin.
unforunate.

Come LCPL, I signed up as a DPP main. As I mentioned earlier, I did not want to play ORAS, which drived me towards playing DPP. I ended up getting bought by OP & Nineage, and was the DPP LC player along with sparktrain. After choking my week 1 game, I took the support role to help my team win stuff (sparktrain & am are kings), and ended up building many teams as a result. I won when our team needed it as well, but unfortunately our team just wasn't in the best in terms of luck this year.

While LCPL is long gone, and I didn't play as much games as I wished, I have a lot of teams that I don't know what to do with. So, I am dumping them for more people to play this tier, so that hopefully more people can see how great this tier is. I am a fan of offense, and as a result, this is exactly what this tier is. You may be able to notice the abundance of anti lead-based teams, and this is just a personal preference that I have gotten accustomed to, since anti lead-based teams can help pick up momentum quickly (or fail miserably).

I mainly play DPP with those who still play; OP, Heysup, GOAO, Fiend, and whoever I ask for games in the LC room from time to time. The following teams have had some form of success, whether it be in a tournament game or in a friendly.

The Goons:

This was the first team I built (with Oma) in this tier. The main idea was to have Gligar pass a couple of boosts in Attack and Speed to Teddiursa or Snover, so that they could sweep. Chimchar got up the handy rocks that helped Teddiursa OHKO everything possible after being passed boosts, and put on pressure for Elekid to chip down the opponent easily, as well. Munchlax helped blanket check many of the power things in the tier, namely Snover, which stopped a Gligar pass, and smacked the team left and right otherwise. It also does neat things like Pursuit trap Gastly, which is a problem for this team (or any) to switch into. The team was pretty straightforward and had good results.
Chimchar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
Level: 5
EVs: 4 HP / 56 Atk / 216 SpA / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fake Out
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Stealth Rock

Gligar @ Oran Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 156 HP / 76 Def / 236 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Agility
- Baton Pass
- Earthquake

Teddiursa @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Protect

Munchlax @ Oran Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch

Elekid @ Life Orb
Ability: Static
EVs: 92 Atk / 160 SpA / 240 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick
- Psychic

Snover @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 36 HP / 184 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer

This team is one of the better ones I'm proud of, in which I went around building with SD Totodile. Gligar checks all the Electric-type Pokemon in the tier, bar +2 Chinchou, which is kept in check by Snover. Magneton and Snover are able to check many other things that make it hard for Totodile to sweep, and Houndour is able punch holes in the opponent early on with attacks like Overheat, and prevent rocks from slower leads. Bronzor was stapled onto the team because it can soft check much of the tier, while providing rocks for myself. The team is pretty straightforward to use, and has won for AM in LCPL (and should have won for me but I misclicked sub with a sub up when I used it). Once the common Totodile answers are gone (which may include 1 or 2 of the opponents pokemon), it is not hard to set it up on the path for victory which is what makes it an easier, and fun team to use.
Houndour @ Focus Sash
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 76 Atk / 196 SpA / 236 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt
- Overheat
- Reversal

Gligar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Aerial Ace

Magnemite @ Oran Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 76 HP / 40 Def / 236 SpA / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Bronzor @ Oran Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 220 HP / 8 Atk / 152 Def / 4 SpA / 68 SpD / 12 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Totodile @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 4 Def / 52 SpD / 172 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Return
- Aqua Jet

Snover @ Oran Berry
EVs: 196 HP / 184 Atk / 36 Def / 24 SpA / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I think it was around this time I rewatched some Pokemon season 1 episodes because I was extremely bored and in one episode they talk about Cubone and Marowak. I remembered Cubone was even a Pokemon to begin with and wanted to use it badly because it had great attack with Thick Club, and could lure Gligar with Ice Beam as well. Cubone is only usable in Trick Room, so I had to go with that approach. Lead Gastly with Trick Room was able to accomplish many things; get up Trick Room, go boom or hypnosis, and does not make the opponent initially think about Trick Room being potentially set up (since Gastly is not commonly associated with Trick Room). Porygon and Slowpoeke are the bulky setters, while Numel and Cubone were the main wallbreakers. Munchlax provided safety against opposing Gastly, which is a huge nuisance for Trick Room otherwise. While Trick Room isn't as bad as it was in later gens, it is still not easy to setup, but the team is otherwise great to abuse.
Gastly @ Focus Sash
EVs: 36 HP / 166 Def / 196 SpA / 76 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Explosion
- Shadow Ball
- Hypnosis

Munchlax @ Oran Berry
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch

Numel @ Life Orb
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 240 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Return

Porygon @ Oran Berry
Ability: Trace
EVs: 236 HP / 36 Def / 236 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Cubone @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 196 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 36 SpD
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Fire Punch
- Ice Beam

Slowpoke @ Oran Berry
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Def / 36 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Fire Blast
- Aqua Tail
- Slack Off
- Trick Room

THEYCALLMEGYMLEADERTKO.
alright (Kabuto) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 SpA / 236 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Aqua Jet
- Rock Slide
- Earth Power

i (Chinchou) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 232 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

u (Barboach) @ Oran Berry
Ability: Anticipation
EVs: 36 HP / 212 Atk / 12 Def / 28 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Return

wesleys theory (Mantyke) @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 36 Def / 200 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Flying]

hood politics (Horsea) @ Life Orb
EVs: 36 Def / 200 SpA / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

king kunta (Totodile) @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 4 Def / 52 SpD / 172 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Return
- Waterfall

Birds are the best. My mentality was, "If bird spam is viable in ORAS OU, it must be here too!" Fortunately, since DPP is an offense-based metagame, this was possible. Drifloon is the most powerful Flying-type Pokemon lead, and thus earned the lead spot on the team. I added Diglett and Magnemite because dual trapping is exactly what the birds needed. Diglett and Magneton both drop Steel-type Pokemon, and Diglett is able to handle Rock-type Pokemon, while Magnemite helps manage against most Snovers. Doduo and Taillow are the wallbreaking Flying-type Pokemon, while Gligar is great to clean up teams, and have fun with all of its U-Turn scouting against opposing teams. If the opponent has HP Fire Snover, it might be the end, otherwise the team is pretty solid just because trapping is stupid and bird spam is #1.
Drifloon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 116 Atk / 196 SpA / 196 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Explosion
- Shadow Ball
- Sucker Punch
- Thunderbolt

Doduo @ Life Orb
EVs: 240 Atk / 240 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Gligar @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Aerial Ace

Taillow @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- Quick Attack
- U-turn

Magnemite @ Oran Berry
Modest Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Diglett @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 240 Atk / 236 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

I made this team because I was being slotted against Kumih0 for DPP during LCPL. I wanted to use a team that would always put on the pressure, so I started off with Gastly. It threatens all Pokemon under its speed tier with its stab, Explosion, or Hypnosis. I then decided to build with Bagon, as oppose to Dratini, since it has higher attack and better bulk, making it a bit easier and more effective to set up with it. The biggest Problems for Bagon are Snover and bulky Steel-types, so that is exactly what the team helps defeat for Bagon. Ponyta is a Pokemon in particular that I prefer to use in DPP over Houndour, since it has better speed, and is effective with Oran Berry. Ponyta checks Snover really well, as well as things like Bronzor. Gligar helps against fast offense, while the staple (Bronzor) helps soft check things many things and set up rocks for Bagon, which was crucial. Croagunk helped the team overall since it checked many Water-type Pokemon, and provided needed priority. In the week I used the team, late game Bagon was able to win once its stops were defeated.
Gastly @ Focus Sash
EVs: 76 Atk / 196 SpA / 196 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Explosion

Gligar @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Aerial Ace

Bronzor @ Oran Berry
Relaxed Nature
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Ponyta @ Oran Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 36 HP / 240 Atk / 196 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Croagunk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 188 Atk / 188 SpA / 116 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Vacuum Wave
- Dark Pulse

Bagon @ Oran Berry
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw

s/o madoka. I built sun for you ;o;. The team itself is pretty straightforward. I went with lead Diglett just for having the fastest rocks on the field, even faster than Taunt Gligar. Bellsprout is the obligatory sun sweeper, and is followed by the sun support of Munchlax and Bronzor which can also sponge hits for it if it cannot kill the opposing Pokemon and would faint. Ponyta is a powerful attacker alongside Bellsprout, and having it also means Munchlax does not have to waste a slot on Sunny Day or remove its Oran Berry for a Heat Rock. Machop rounds the team off with another Snover check, but more importantly, something to threaten Munchlax, which otherwise has a field day with the team.
Diglett @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Bellsprout @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Sleep Powder

Munchlax @ Oran Berry
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Sunny Day
- Return
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Bronzor @ Heat Rock
Relaxed Nature
- Sunny Day
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Ponyta @ Oran Berry
EVs: 72 HP / 240 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Sunny Day

Machop @ Oran Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 196 HP / 36 Atk / 36 Def / 236 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Dynamic Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch

I built this team right after I built the sun one, because I really hate sun offense! I also wanted to make a Hail-based team with success, since Hail is not really a good weather to make a team around, so I had to step up to the challenge. Spheal is the only thing in this tier that can actually do something useful with Hail, so I set up a team that allowed for late game Spheal to wall everything and recover all of its HP with Ice Body, Aqua Ring, and Leftovers. Magnemite and Wynaut are the trappers for this team; Magnemite traps Bronzor, while Wynaut helps against Fighting-type Pokemon. This team is more of a gimmick, however. It loses to any Fire- or Dark-type Pokemon.
Machop (M) @ Oran Berry
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 76 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Ice Punch
- Payback
- Bullet Punch

Spheal @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpA / 196 SpD
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Super Fang
- Aqua Ring

Snover @ Oran Berry
Adamant Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magnemite @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Magnet Rise
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Wynaut @ Oran Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 76 HP / 132 Def / 212 SpD / 88 Spe
Impish Nature
- Encore
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Tickle

Bronzor @ Oran Berry
Relaxed Nature
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I know the team looks bad because there is a Bidoof, but trust me, its not all bad. The idea of this team was to have SD pass Gligar pass into a passer, with the support of screens. Abra is the best lead for dual screens support, while Bronzor also provided screens along with rocks. Mankey could revenge kill offensive threats to Gligar, or could be used to kill an opposing Pokemon in a pinch. Cranidos appreciates passes from Gligar, and with screens, it is much easier for it to set up on its own if needed. But, the God itself, Bidoof, really appreciates the boosted boosts that it receives (thanks to Simple), and could sweep if the opponent has been weakened enough. Since screens provide defense boosts, it becomes hard for the opponent to wear down the team, while it is easier to stay in for Pokemon on this team. More effective then you'd think.
Abra @ Light Clay
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 236 HP / 76 Def / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Encore
- Psychic

Gligar @ Oran Berry
EVs: 156 HP / 76 Def / 236 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Agility
- Baton Pass
- Earthquake

Bronzor @ Light Clay
EVs: 220 HP / 4 Atk / 148 Def / 4 SpA / 68 SpD / 12 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock

Mankey @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Payback
- Ice Punch

Cranidos @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 60 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam

Bidoof @ Oran Berry
Ability: Simple
EVs: 44 HP / 236 Atk / 36 Def / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Aqua Tail

Water-type Pokemon aren't as common as they should be in this tier, at least in my opinion. I was shocked to see that not many Pokemon appreciate a Water Spout, so I decided to use Scarf Wailmer. Once again, Bronzor does what it does best by setting up rocks and pivot on the opponent. Snover helped with opposing Water- and Electric-type Pokemon, which would otherwise run all over the team. Scarf Gastly was an option I added to help the team against many of the other fast Scarf Pokemon out there, such as Mankey, since Wailmer is not fast enough to match up with the likes of them, and they are very threatening without a Pokemon to unexpectedly outspeed and kill them off. Machop was added as a last to break Steel-type Pokemon easier, and handle Munchax. The team requires more prediction than usual, especially around Scarf Pokemon, but once Scarfers have been eliminated, and the opponent has been weakened enough by hazards, then Wailmer can sweep late game, or even break the opponent enough so that Gastly can be the Pokemon that cleans.
Gligar @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Aqua Tail

Wailmer @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 36 HP / 76 Def / 200 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Bronzor @ Oran Berry
Relaxed Nature
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Recycle
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Snover @ Oran Berry
EVs: 196 HP / 184 Atk / 36 Def / 52 SpD / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Swords Dance

Gastly @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 36 HP / 40 Def / 200 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Explosion

Machop @ Oran Berry
EVs: 196 HP / 36 Atk / 36 Def / 236 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Dynamic Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch

I approached a team around Rock Polish Aron, which can set up on many Pokemon thanks to its typing and great defense. Lead Staryu prevents hazards that could otherwise trouble this team especially, since it can rely on pivoting from Gligar and Snover. Hypnosis Gastly can prove to be a nuisance for many teams, and also provides a way to handle Croagunk. Snover handles the Water-type Pokemon that can otherwise stomp the team with their offensive prowess, while being a solid check to Gligar. Magnemite helps get rid of Bronzor, which is otherwise the hardest thing for Aron to defeat. The team is all about creating opportunities, and once there is an opening for Aron to sweep, it can run havoc with its absurd attack, boosted by a Life Orb. Aron can also be used as a wallbreaker, so that one of the faster Pokemon can clean up late game.
Staryu @ Oran Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 36 HP / 196 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Magnemite @ Oran Berry
Modest Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Snover @ Life Orb
EVs: 36 HP / 184 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Ice Shard
- Seed Bomb

Gligar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Aerial Ace

Gastly @ Oran Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 196 SpA / 112 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hypnosis
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball

Aron @ Life Orb
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

This team is mostly similar to the above posted Trick Room team, but with the added meme of MakuFlex. Nothing much to say here, except this team is top 4.
Gastly @ Focus Sash
EVs: 36 HP / 166 Def / 196 SpA / 76 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Explosion
- Shadow Ball
- Hypnosis

Bronzor @ Oran Berry
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 2 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Slowpoke @ Oran Berry
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Def / 36 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Flamethrower
- Aqua Tail
- Slack Off
- Trick Room

Porygon @ Oran Berry
Ability: Trace
EVs: 236 HP / 36 Def / 236 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

Cubone @ Thick Club
EVs: 196 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 36 SpD
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Fire Punch
- Ice Beam

MakuFlex (Makuhita) @ Oran Berry
EVs: 180 HP / 116 Def / 36 SpD
Brave Nature
- Belly Drum
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch

I built this team for LCPL, but never actually ended up bringing it versus my opponent. The idea was to use rain, but not just standard boring rain. I wanted to use Buizel, which is an underprepared threat that is very powerful under the rain. The two main walls of the tier, Bronzor and Munchlax, are easily taken care of with prior damage, or with a Bulk Up up. Like seriously, Buizel is good and I am surprised the rain I'd fight would be lacking this monster. I opted for Drifloon lead over the standard rain lead, Voltorb, since I'm all about that surprise factor, but they essentially do the same thing, except Drifloon doesn't have to worry as much about stuff like Voltorb does. For example, lead Diglett can trap and potentially even prevent rain from going up turn 1. Lead Gligar with a Sash could Earthquake, and then Quick Attack to kill off Voltorb while still having its Sash intact. People using lead Gligar don't typically Taunt a lead Drifloon, so getting up rain was typically not a worry. With all of these potential benefits, I choose Drifloon as the lead, with Voltorb in the back for a speedy set up in a pinch. Mantyke and Buizel are the main abusers of rain, and are backed up by Croagunk and Bronzor, which can be pivoted into and chip down the opponent so that the rain sweepers can win. I love using this team myself, especially since Buizel is an unexpected threat followed by an unexpected lead which can lead to fast wins.
op (Drifloon) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 196 Atk / 116 SpA / 196 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rain Dance
- Explosion
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder

rssp1 (Bronzor) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 220 HP / 152 Def / 4 SpA / 68 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Rain Dance
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

cheek pouch (Voltorb) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Static
EVs: 36 HP / 40 Atk / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Explosion
- Taunt

nineage (Croagunk) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 188 Atk / 188 SpA / 116 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Vacuum Wave
- Dark Pulse

soldier (Mantyke) @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 HP / 36 Def / 200 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 2 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Rain Dance

sparktrain (Buizel) @ Life Orb
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Return
- Bulk Up

Sweeping Fighting-type Pokemon aren't common in this tier, perhaps because it is hard to set up with in an offense based metagame as a frail Fighting-type Pokemon, which causes it to have less set up opportunities. Stunky was the first Pokemon that came into my mind, as it Pursuit traps Gastly and Duskull, the 2nd biggest threat to a High Jump Kick sweep (after the threat of it missing!). Ponyta, which I have taken a huge liking to in this tier, checks Bronzor well, and is great for making the opponent switch around and allows you to learn more information as the teams as a result. I tossed Gastly and Gligar to pressure the opponent, and with these 5 Pokemon working together as a team, the Riolu checks slowly disappear. And, since Riolu is typically unexpected, after the damage has been done, Riolu can find itself sweeping in the end.
Dratini @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 28 HP / 84 Atk / 196 SpA / 196 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Protect
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Extreme Speed

Stunky @ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Explosion
- Fire Blast

Gastly @ Life Orb
EVs: 36 Def / 200 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hypnosis

Ponyta @ Oran Berry
EVs: 36 HP / 240 Atk / 196 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Gligar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Aerial Ace

Riolu @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- High Jump Kick
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

OK so there was a time where a user named Peli bopped me with a Pursuit Wingull, by trapping my Gastly. Hopefully no one will ever find that replay because it was humiliating. As a result of losing that game, Peli told me to build with Wingull for LCPL. I was not insane enough to bring it to LCPL, but let me tell you, Wingull is Jesus-incarnate. Literally no one knows what this thing will do. It is bad half the time, but the other half of the time, it will do thinkgs like knock Gligar down to its sash, and Quick Attack it. Besides that, the team is based around Dragon Spam. Dragon Dance Bagon sweeps after things like Munchlax, Snover, and Steel-types are removed, so the team is set up to defeat those things. Agility Chinchou with HP Fire is able to break through teams, and do something I personally enjoy; leave my opponent confused after killing their designated Chinchou check. Snover out of the way paves the way for the Drags and Gligar to roam free, which makes it a great lure for this team. Special Dratini also chips the opponent, and the infamous Gligar + Bronzor duo gives great pivoting abilities for this team. Once rocks are up, and momentum is picked up, it can become hard to switch into the likes of Dratini and Chinchou, and once everything is weakened, Bagon comes in late game and cleans. Melon, if I used this versus you in LCPL, you would have lost dude...
PELI (Wingull) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 32 Atk / 240 SpA / 236 Spe
Naive Nature
- Air Slash
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Quick Attack

Chinchou @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 228 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Bronzor @ Oran Berry
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Recycle
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Dratini @ Life Orb
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 244 Atk / 116 SpA / 116 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Substitute
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor

Bagon @ Oran Berry
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw

Gligar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Aerial Ace

I really wanted to use a Dark-spam team, so I started with a powerful lead in Carvanha, and went on from there. There aren't many viable Dark-type Pokemon in the tier (or many the tier in general), so I was left with Stunky and Houndour as the other Dark-type Pokemon. I then went about wondering what could benefit from Dark-types. With Pokemon like Bronzor, Gastly, and Duskull being well handled by Dark-spam, strong physical attackers immediately sounded like good ideas. Mankey can freely Close Combat the opponent if Ghost-type Pokemon are eliminated from play, and also provides the role of a Scarf user. The team was looking quite weak to Gligar, and could use rocks, so Bronzor was stapled to the team. For a sweeper, there were many options, but Krabby seemed like one that stood out to me. With Dual Dance, and offensive support from the rest of the team, it can find many opportunities to sweep late game, which makes it a great fit as the last on this team.
Carvanha @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 36 Atk / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Taunt
- Aqua Jet

Stunky @ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 12 SpA / 244 Spe
Naive Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Sucker Punch

Houndour @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 Def / 196 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Will-O-Wisp

Bronzor @ Oran Berry
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Recycle
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mankey @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Payback
- Ice Punch
- U-turn

Krabby @ Oran Berry
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- X-Scissor

Final Words:

I thoroughly enjoy playing this tier compared to most, if not all, and will continue to enjoy this tier with those people I play with. I hope you enjoyed reading some of the teams I dumped, whether it be a serios team I made, or a meme that happened to have some success behind it. I hope after reading this, if you don't play DPP LC, you will understand how fun and offensive this tier is, and will pick it up in your free time!

If you are reading this and want to request a team, if the idea given is good enough I may build with it. (key word = may)

This is my 600th post on Smogon. While this isn't too significant, I think it is a lot of posts for myself and it's odd to see how much I have posted on here. I hope that I don't ever reach 1K, but we'll see anyway. I'd like to shoutout some people who made this ride enjoyable.

lc

trash oml easily my favorite lc player ;w;;. It's fun talking to you about irl, or playing mons, or doing random other stuff. You suck though. Stop using annoying teams with Staryu that always spins away the hazards I set up fool.

mad0ka I HATE HOW YOU ALWAYS USE SUN AND NOW MY HAIL TEAM IS BANNED BECAUSE OF GOTHITA SO I CANT EVEN USE IT. Stop using sun! You are mediocre at best otherwise, gl om majoring in university of chinese fool

OP Thanks for picking me up in DPP this year boss. Sucks you had to leave halfway through the season though, you didn't see my don testing skills. Also why am I cursed vs you? Why do you john so much???

Nineage The real boss (screw OP!), thanks for knowing that I play mons..

Heysup I enjoy playing you at random times. I'm good at lucking you though.. I know when I luck you I don't say anything but thats just the way I do things in battles, but it does suck for me to watch.

rssp1 haha i put you up here to call you a big nerd

WaterlessMelon You are basically OP 2.0 which makes me hate you even more. Mediocre player at best. Lacrosse isn't that great of a sport either.

Fiend We only started talking recently, but it has been fun! I enjoy fighting you in both SM and DPP, and also talking about irl stuff like w/ trash

Dundies howd i forget my least favorite pu player

LC people I talk to / battle often: Berks Shrug Kingler12345 Tahu Sam-testings Oma Corporal Levi GOAO Confide Joltage

non lc s/os

aoemica s/o to aoemica
Kableye dont you hate xastify?? i sure do
xastify hey man you are the best.
Feliburn idiot potatohead
Ajna heard you built 40 sm ru teams by now, 36 of which have special virzion
lighthouses :D!
Natural Talent "people with custom avatars are known for their natural talent"
Meteordash /me dab /me flex
Lax meet me on smite
Psynergy thats my bspl manager... also cal nerd w/ rssp1 too

Arifeen Chakra Shadestep p2 slurmz Killintime MrAldo Pearl rozes Ryoma Nagare Shiba Laurens Nido-Rus n10sit Ping_Pong_Along Mahmudkipz Churmp eeveert EonX GrilledClawitzer Hairy Toenail Accelgor bludz Nedor Wyn NOVED Geotal DTC ADVANTAGE

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
It's a shame I lost most of my DPP LC squads during my comp clean up and break from this game, but can confirm great tier (rip Kitten Squad). The dark spam squad I think looks really cool and if I get back into it I might try a couple of type spams out myself.

For those who are trying to get into the tier, the second squad (the one mentioned I used) is actually pretty fluid to use to get a feel as it utilizes a lot of standard mons and cores. Munchlax and Gligar are the top tiers and normally a lot of the similar mons you see here in these builds make up the majority of foundations.

I'm not sure how I feel about Dark Pulse Houndour though on the dark spam squad. I'm more of a fan of using Crunch to net larger hits on SpDef Munchlax which is a common counterplay to Houndour. You can probably even take this a step further and go Howl over Wisp for both a stronger Crunch and Sucker Punch, giving yourself more power across the offensive spectrum.

While the tier is pretty offensive there are some defensive mons worth exploring such as Slowpoke and Shroomish so anyone interested definitely try some of these teams out as most of them follow basic structures for DPP LC.

build hypno bellywag.

Good teams, love playing dpp with you even tho you cream me nearly every time :p

Meowth @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Bite
- Hypnosis

Poliwag @ Oran Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Hypnosis
- Waterfall
- Return

Houndour @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 Def / 196 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Will-O-Wisp

Snover @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Swords Dance

Chimchar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 56 Atk / 216 SpA / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 3 Atk / 30 SpA
- Stealth Rock
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Will-O-Wisp

Gligar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Aerial Ace

hi, sorry to post this team so late but i was testing it a bit and was also lazy with building o.o
I wanted to use some things to lure in attackers to make it easy for poliwag to sweep, so i went with using this flames dual wow core that will lure stuff in which can make a sweep easier. Houndour + Chimchar also forms a nice offensive core with rocks that breaks down the opponents team fairly quickly, that plus burn should be a set up to success for poliwag. Snover checks chinc + other things poli needs gone, while Gligar is an overall great revenge killer and useful to get rid of things that could outspeed poliwag. Only issue I found while using this team is that sub gastly could be a problem and requires a lot of playing around with, but overall this team was pretty fun to use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)