The In-Game Mono-Type Team Challenge

Just finished a Monotype run in HG using only fires. It was a challenge. BUT I defeated Red. I had a typhlosion, Arcanine, Magcargo, and I caught a ponyta and rapidash as death fodder. Also I used the red gyrados as an HM slave. It took a while but I won with lucky crits and an insane amount of retries trying yawn on Blastoise.

If you want an easy challenge, try Water in HG/SS
A little more difficult, Bug type.

I'm currently on a Dark run in Emerald and it's really fun.

Mono Steel on Platinum seems like it'd be fun. You could start off with Piplup, and then you'd have to solo until you found an Onix or Bronzor. After you get the Explorer Kit you have a load of options. Using the honey trees you could get a Forretress, going underground you can find a Bastiodon, you could get a Probopass from Mt Coronet. You can even get a Scizor around about Crasher Wake, I think. It seems like a varied playthrough, since you'd have some offensive and mostly defensive pokémon, so you'll have to stretch your imagination to get it to work against the Elite Four. I might try this out sometime... :P
This sounds really fun! The available Pokes are Empoleon, Steelix, Bronzong, Wormadam-S, Probopass, Magnezone, Bastiodon (with an even-numbered ID), Scizor, and Lucario. Pretty well-balanced, and I can't see any huge bumps in the road with gym leaders or the E4. I might try this out soon.

Can someone give me a hard challenge for Sapphire or LeafGreen? I can't think of any besides Steel/Ghost (Sapphire) and Electric for LeafGreen.

Can someone give me a hard challenge for Sapphire or LeafGreen? I can't think of any besides Steel/Ghost (Sapphire) and Electric for LeafGreen.
Dark in LG. it's so hard it's impossible :D

bug in saphire seems pretty hard, especially if you dont fall back on Shedinja to fight everyone. you might get owned up the butt by flannery though, since you won't have Anorith/Armaldo.

I'm doing my mono-rock runthrough of HG now, and it's going alright. I'm a little behind in leveling so I'm gonna have to do some GRINDAN ALL DAY ERR DAY, but other than that it's pretty easy. That's mostly because I got to choose my pokemon beforehand. I picked out 6 pokemon, produced eggs in SS, and transferred them over to the HG game and hatched them all. Then I kept one (Aron) and moved them all back to SS for storage. I get 1 pokemon from SS at each town I reach, which has been raised to an appropriate level equivalent to the wild pokemon in the area.

I thought it would be easy because I decided which pokemon I was getting and when, as well as giving myself the option of getting pokes that aren't normally available during the course of the game. This also let me choose typings that cover every one of Rock's weaknesses (Lileep for Grass/Water/Ground, Kabuto for Water/Steel, Aron for Grass/Steel, Lunatone and Aerodactyl for Fighting, etc). What I didn't take into account is that 3/6 of my pokemon don't evolve until level 40 (Kabuto, Lileep, and Anorith), and Aron doesn't evolve until 32. This balanced me out quite a bit and is making the run more challenging than I expected.

Morty is proving to be a little difficult, because the only pokemon I have that is able to sweep him completely through is Lunatone after a Rock Polish. Confusion can OHKO his Ghastly and both Haunters, but not Gengar, who can OHKO Lunatone with Shadow Ball. I have the potential to win if I can pull off a Hypnosis and get it to stick, but so far Morty's been employing some misshax. Nothing else on my team is high enough level to stand up to Shadow Ball, even Aron who carries a resistance. Hence, some Grindan is in order.

Doing a mono-Grass in Emerald. So far up to Brawly, but I probably need to put in some serious level grinding.

My final team plan is probably going to be:

Sceptile
Ludicolo
Breloom
Cacturne
Cradily
Tropius

Mono-grass is fairly easy in Emerald imo. Lombre isn't weak to fire, so you shouldn't have much problems against Flannery. I used Gloom/Vileplume to beat her and Winona, though. Sleep Powder FTW (as long as it hits.) And I had almost the same team, minus Cacturne for Vileplume.

any suggestions for a mono run of pearl? it's easily the least discussed of the games this gen, and its the only cart i have that i wouldn't mind starting over on.

any suggestions for a mono run of pearl? it's easily the least discussed of the games this gen, and its the only cart i have that i wouldn't mind starting over on.
Try Fighting, there's infernape, machamp, heracross, lucario, medicham, toxicroak, and there's breloom and gallade after getting the nat dex

Ground is quite decent. Torterra, Steelix, Golem, 3 water/grounds to choose from, Hippowdon, and last but not least, Gaychomp. You'll definitely need Turtwig for Gardenia, and a water/ground for Crasher Wake.

You can also try Poison, which is also pretty easy as you're not weak to any gym leader. Tentacruel, Roserade, Crobat, Gengar, Toxicroak, Drapion, and Skuntank, with the latter 2 to deal with Lucian.

Mono Dark is so fun in Emerald. I just completed my run, and I ended up with Absol, Sharpedo, Shiftry, Sableye, Mightyena and HM Slave. You have other options as well, such as Crawdaunt and Cacturne.

HM Slave? Why not Absol or Nuzleaf for Strength and Rock Smash? It's not like they have a 4-moveslot syndrome anyway. :) I understand Absol is only available later on, but Nuzleaf? ;)

As for Waterfall and Dive, you only need to use those move twice, so usually I use Dive and Waterfall on the same user, same moveslot. Dive once to get to Archie, Dive second time to get to Sootopolis, discard at Lilycove, then teach Waterfall. After that, use Waterfall once to reach Evergrande, and optional second time to reach the part in Meteor Falls where you get Bagon(which you won't need if you're playing mono-Dark). Then go back to Lilycove and delete Waterfall.

Edit: Maybe a Slave for Fly. But you don't really need to level it up ;)

Started that bug run in Sapphire, and it's VERY hard. Traded in a Spinarak because it's my fav and better than Wurmple. Here's the team..

Spinarak, lv 12
Surskit, lv 11
Nincada, lv 7

Ghost could be fun. You get Misdreavus, Ghastly, and Drifloon pretty early. If you have access to the underground you can get Spiritomb before the 3rd gym also iirc. Probably the only Pokemon game where a mono ghost is actually possible, although it sucks you can't get Rotom until after the national dex.

Mono-ghost is also semi-doable in HGSS. You can get Gastly in Sprout Tower, and use that till you can snag Misdreavus in the Safari Zone... that's basically it though.

I don't like doing a mono-run through if I can't have a complete 6-member team, so stuff like mono-ghost/dark/steel in HG-SS are avoided.

in Plat you can get a full mono ghost team.

Gengar
Dusknoir
Frosslass
Spiritomb
Drifblim
Rotom (he's in the regional dex, so i assume you can get him as soon as you get CUT)

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't like doing a mono-run through if I can't have a complete 6-member team, so stuff like mono-ghost/dark/steel in HG-SS are avoided.
TRADE.
in Plat you can get a full mono ghost team.

Gengar
Dusknoir
Frosslass
Spiritomb
Drifblim
Rotom (he's in the regional dex, so i assume you can get him as soon as you get CUT)
Yes, you can get Rotom as soon as you get HM01 Cut.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)