The dumbest thing the AI has ever done?

We've all played though the games several times. So my question is what is single-handedly the dumbest thing you has ever seen an AI opponent do in Pokemon.

For example, I was playing though Black 2 and I encountered someone with a Castform. I used Dig to get some neutral damage on him. Then, the turn I was underground, the trainer had their Castform use Sunny Day. Thus turning into a fire type and allowing me to kill them in one hit.

What's your dumb AI story?

While it's not my personal experience, in a Let's Play video here, you can see a Claydol (with Levitate) use Skill Swap on one turn, and then Earthquake the next. That's the dumbest that I've ever seen.

Dumbest that I've ever experienced though? Hmm... nothing really comes to mind besides the AI being so reluctant to switch in some cases. (Yeah, go ahead and keep your Abra that knows only Teleport out. I'll just setup to +6 in the meantime.)

I remember fighting Tate in the PWT. He used Trick Room... with both of his Pokemon. In other words, one of his mons used Trick Room, and the other one undid it in the same turn.

Also, this isn't exactly a stupid thing the AI has done, but I have seen a physical Reuniclus in the Maison.

I remember fighting Tate in the PWT. He used Trick Room... with both of his Pokemon. In other words, one of his mons used Trick Room, and the other one undid it in the same turn.

Also, this isn't exactly a stupid thing the AI has done, but I have seen a physical Reuniclus in the Maison.
Is that the Reuniclus that uses Explosion? Because I think I may of fought it a couple of times.

Maison battles are very funny.

Double Battles in particular are an excellent display of teamwork, helpfulness, and trust. Teammates protect each other and help each other in the worst of times:

The foe's Reuniclus used Explosion!
The foe's Poliwrath's Damp made Explosion useless!

OK, soon after, Poliwrath is dead. Reuniclus explodes, damaging its partner Claydol. My Pokémon are Dusclops and Smeargle (ripped off a team from the Maison thread), and Smeargle is using Protect.

A couple turns after that, Claydol explodes, damaging its partner Alakazam.

...Yeah. Sorry, Chatelaines, but your nice battle area is kind of exploded.

I also remember fighting a Rotation battle where it came down to Ferrothorn vs. Ferrothorn... not a great matchup by any means. The opposing Ferrothorn promptly used Explosion.

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
My gym battle against Korrina.
She sent out Meditite as lead, I sent out Haunter/Gengar.
AI used Fake Out :p (over-predicted on me switching maybe, but I have no plans lol)

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Trying to catch a weakened Ho-Oh that just would not stay in the ball. I send Gengar out after one of my Pokemon faints and start throwing a ton of Ultra Balls. Ho-Oh decides that it would be a fantastic idea to use Swift on a Ghost-type, and spams it 11 times as I fail to catch it, to the point that I've assumed it just ran out of PP for anything else.

Then it used Sacred Fire.

I took on the PWT with a Zoroark/Shadinja combo, and the AI handles it very weirdly.

Sometimes they'll fall for it, and switch out thinking they can't harm me, sometimes they'll inexplicitly see right through me and just nail me with a STAB move... However, quite often, they would decide the best course of action is a psychic move.

It's like the AI knows its not really a shedinja, but hasn't been programmed to know what could possibly be in disguise.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I faced a Jolteon and Talonflame in the Battle Chateau. Jolteon lead off with a Rain Dance, which Talonflame promptly countered with a Sunny Day.
I remember seeing something similar in Gen 4. Cherrim would use Sunny Day, then Castform use Rainy Day the next turn, then Cherrim would use Sunny Day the next turn, then Castform would...

I've seen XY multi-battles shenanigans where the enemy AI would status their partner.
I've seen this happen. I just assumed the AI decided to use Will-o-wisp, look at who it could target, then hit the only target that wasn't a Fire type.

Also, the AI tends to blow up on Level 1 Pokemon. Literally, as in using Explosion on them.

I ran into a snow warning Aurorus in the battle Maison that used Sandstorm and then Hail the next turn.

I have... No words.
I've seen this happen. I just assumed the AI decided to use Will-o-wisp, look at who it could target, then hit the only target that wasn't a Fire type.
I've seen them burn Alakazam, but I assumed it was the AI preventing sleep/Paralysis on it, which is pretty clever if you think about it.

I encountered this battle maison Porygon2 with interesting AI... When his Special attack is neutral or lower, he'll recycle a payapa berry. Cue me sending in Malamar, causing Porygon2 to trace Contrary. Every time he ate his Payapa berry, his special attack got lowered, and he spent about 10 turns using recover and recycle trying to fix his special attack, unable to comprehend that it was lowering it instead. I wanted to watch it go on forever, but I got a crit on night slash.

Also, in maison doubles/multi, I've seen my opponents attack each other for no apparent reason. A Darmanitan burned his partner, a physical tauros with WoW, crippling him for good. Also, the darmanitan was a special attacker. With sheer force ability.

The Battle Maison is eight-thousand kinds of crazy. I could go on forever about it...

E4 and Champions using Full Restores despite the previous move being a 2HKO. I think this is less dumb AI and more just GF not forseeing this; but it's an annoying waste of time and PP really.

I haven't really had much of that happen to me (sans the above post), but if you watch Chuggaaconroy's Pokemon Colosseum Let's Play, you'll see what stupid stuff the AI does. Highlights:
Running gag of Pokemon constantly using moves that are nulled by Misdreavus (hence the It Doesn't Affect Misdreavus meme)
The epic finish against Evice in the finale that has to be seen to be believed.
Also, enemy Pokemon not finishing something that's clearly in KO range (moreso for his XD LP) and instead going for the one that resists those moves.

I was playing Super Multis at the maison, my opponent were a Ninetales and a Gastrodon. I don't remember what I was using, but my partner was a Feraligatr with Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Earthquake and Ice Punch. The following turn my partner uses Aqua Jet on the Gastrodon, but doesn't work since it had Storm Drain. I KO the Gastrodon the next turn, and my partner uses Ice Punch on the Ninetales. Not so bad, he must have been aiming for Gastrodon, though the Ninetales KOs my pokemon and then the Feraligatr proceeds to spam Ice Punch three times on Ninetales... instead of his water moves of freaking Earthquake. Naturally Ninetales doesn't even feel it and gradually wears down and KOs Feraligatr costing me the run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)