SM OU Team that's mostly offensive

Hey there! I'm pretty new to competitive battling, and after trying a bunch of different teams and ideas this is what I came up with! It's not really geared towards defense or offense if I'm being honest, since teams I've made in the past that leaned towards one side failed pretty hard. I don't have any pokemon I usually lead with in particular, it just depends on what I think the other side is gonna send out. I also decided that I didn't want to use any pokemon that are used in almost every team, like landorus-t.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Power-Up Punch
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall

I chose Azumarill because I needed an offensive pokemon who could deal with dragon types while being able to take hits. As far as I know this is a pretty basic set-up. The assault vest is simply for more tankiness while huge power is for, well, more power. My reason for putting on play rough is pretty simple, it's the only physical fairy type move. Power-up punch is to give Azumarill an extra boost of power when it's finishing off a pokemon, and it also helps against intimidate. Aqua jet is to deal damage against faster pokemon when it's about to faint and waterfall is simply a good STAB move.

Serperior @ Lum Berry
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I chose Serperior because I wanted a strong special attacker. I chose the lum berry because in previous experiences using Serperior it's been screwed by paralysis too many times to count. Leaf Storm is obvious, as it's pairing with contrary gives it the opportunity to become extremely powerful. Giga Drain is for healing and when Leaf Storm runs out of PP. Dragon pulse is for any pokemon that are resistant against grass and fire, while hidden power is for dealing with ice and bug types.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Recover
- Scald
Quagsire's purpose is to tank against stackers and annoy pokemon the rest of my team can't deal with. Toxic, protect, and recover all help to make this guy a great staller and scald is for the burn chance along with helping it in case of a taunt.

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Bulk Up
- Revenge
- Pin Missile
Although this guy can waver against those he doesn't match up well against, whenever he has the type advantage the victim has a very low survival rate. Bulk up is in case of intimidate, and bullet seed and pin missile are for making use of skill link. Revenge turns it's slow speed into an advantage.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Excadrill's role in my team has an interesting backstory. You see, back when I was first crafting this team, I had a stall magnemite who would immediately fail at the sight of hazards, so I brought in this dude. Eventually, though, I replaced it with quagsire, but excadrill was still helpful. This is a standard hazard set, which can also get rid of my team's hazards while still dealing damage with earthquake and toxic and defending against stallers.

Victini @ Normalium Z
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Celebrate
- Searing Shot
- Stored Power
- Focus Blast

Victini has saved my team many times before. The normalium paired up with celebrate gives Victini multiple stat boosts, which along with helping with survival and attack give stored power an amazing boost in strength. Focus blast helps to deal with pokemon searing shot and stored power can't.

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey fennekchu! It seems like this team is trying to be Bulky Offense, but some of the Pokemon mismatch with each other. I'll try to ensure the rated version isn't too offensive as you like your teams to have a slight balance, and I'd like to patch up any notable weaknesses or flaws in this team.

OVERVIEW

The first thing I noticed is that Quagsire is very out of place here. There is a very offensive nature with this team, with Sash Drill, Z-Celebrate Victini, etc., but Quagsire literally kills all momentum. Quag's best place in the OU meta, imo, is on Semi-stall and stall builds thanks to Unaware letting it check set up sweepers that threaten those archetypes. Anyways, Mega Swampert, in conjunction with Ferro and another Water-type, gives this team huge trouble. While WaterSpam cores / rain is troublesome enough, this team has very little counterplay to a rain team consisting of Mega Pert + [Gren/Kingdra] + Ferro. In rain, Pert is outpacing everything on your team, which is fine. However, the issue lies in that your Water-type resists are Azumarill and Serperior. Both of these Pokemon are heavily pressured by Kingdra, which spams Hydro Pump whilst in rain. Azu only takes 41% max, but after a Spike and Stealth Rock, Azu is 2HKO'd 77% of the time. Thanks to a lack of Leftovers, too, Serp is 2HKO'd after a Spike 94.9% of the time. This means that every time a Kingdra comes in while rain is up, it will either do massive damage or outright KO a Pokemon. Thanks to Swift Swim, too, it's extremely difficult to revenge kill. While you have Azu to check it, this goes back to Ferrothorn being available. Nagnadel wipes this team out after some prior damage on Azu, Quag and Victini (+ a Excadrill w/ its Sash broken). Luckily, it's getting banned soon, so I won't focus too hard on it. There are a lot of other weaknesses to name, including Lele, stall, Celesteela, etc., but it'll drag on this overview.

TEAM CHANGES

[BD > AV] - I personally feel Azumarill's only place in the OU metagame right now is as a Belly Drum sweeper, which it has a tough time doing to begin with. Assault Vest Azumarill, to be honest, kind of sucks. Azu becomes noticeably more weak than usual, which means it's no longer punching holes through walls and is functioning more as a "tank." It has a solid amount of natural bulk, 100/80/80, but Azu lacks the utility—especially on an AV set—to abuse that bulk in a defensive manner. However, on the offensive, Azumarill can easily abuse its natural bulk for Belly Drums. Now, to keep Victini's Z-Celebrate in tact, I'm going to suggest Sitrus Berry instead.
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

[SubSeed > 4 Atks] - To slightly improve vs. stall, I'd like to suggest SubSeed Serperior. It Leech Seeds on its hard counters, specifically Chansey, allowing it to 1v1 it with Substitute spam. While it doesn't solo stall thanks to Clefable, if you weaken it or outright KO it, you have a solid shot at winning. Sub can also be useful to avoid status, which you said was an issue for you when you played Serperior. Leftovers also avoids that 2HKO from Specs Kingdra after a Spike.
Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Fire
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

>
- Magnezone heavily compliments Azumarill in that it traps Skarmory, Celesteela, Ferrothorn and Scizor. These Steel-types can give Azu trouble when it comes to sweeping, be it Skarmory Whirlwinding you out, Celesteela getting chip with Leech Seed or Ferrothorn Power Whipping away. I prefer AV personally, but with this team's lack of a Scarfed Pokemon, I feel that Scarf Magnezone is also a possibility. It rids of the Pokemon that makes the team entirely offensive, but I'll remedy that with the next change.
Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 136 HP / 192 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

>
- Mega Venusaur gives this team a "real" Water-resist. Thanks to Magnezone, you no longer need to worry about Ferrothorn annoying your Pert checks. Mega Venusaur can absorb Toxic Spikes, assisting your sweepers, but similarly to Quagsire, can cut down on momentum quickly. It'll blend a little more nicely when I make Excadrill Scarf rather than Sash. Venusaur-Mega will also perform nicely vs. the likes of CM Taunt Keldeo, which otherwise gave you trouble if it wore down your Azumarill beforehand. Tapu Bulu (
) is also a nice option here, keeping an Offensive nature up while also boosting Serp's Leaf Storm for amazing damage, but it leaves you without a Mega and the moveset you'd run would be very awkward on this team. I suppose SubSD would work decently to pressure Stall builds like Serp does. On this set, EQ lures in Heatran nicely. This contributes to Serperior's sweeps.
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 156 SpD / 16 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Earthquake

[Scarf > Sash] - To give this team a Scarfer, I'd like to slap it on Drill. While Rapid Spinning and setting up hazards in and of itself becomes more tricky, it's easy to bluff Sash sets vs. Diancie leads and such. Thanks to its solid speedtier of 453, it can get up rocks on Pokemon its faster than that you aren't threatened by. It provides a last ditch effort for Stealth Rock. Also, ScarfDrill can force switches against Pokemon you're threatening to revenge kill to get rocks up or to spin opposing hazards away. Excadrill can also beat a Naganadel that hasn't nabbed its kill.
Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

---

IMPORTABLES

original team:
rated version:
bulu version:

• Standing issue: no flying immunity
  • This means Mantine (
    ) also has some potential as a member.
  • Playing around Naganadel with the first rated version: BANNED
Hope you liked the rate, though! I tried to address the primary issues as much as I could while not deviating too far from the original. There are several different Pokemon to fit on that 4th slot, so experiment and let me know which Pokemon fits best. Good luck! :toast:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)