Team Fortress 2 - Join us at #lol

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Tressed and I were on Suijin last night spawn camping with sentries. He would hold the door open as Spy while I had the sentry set up.

It was the most hilarious and horrible thing when it worked, but people caught on really quickly and wouldn't let me set up the sentry more than a couple times.

Soooo, ETF2L Season 22 playoffs are happening in about half an hour on http://www.twitch.tv/teamfortresstv with the Grand Final coming afterwards. I haven't followed this season at all so I don't know what to expect but from what I see, the team formerly known as Epsilon is not the #1 seed which used to be unheard of. All I know is that we'll see some amazing high-level TF2 and I want to recommend tuning in for a bit. After all, competitive matchmaking is coming to the game sooner or later so you'll get an idea of what you'll be getting into :).

im interested to see how matchmaking will compare to tf2center because atm, i dont really feel like ill have any reason to use the ingame matchmaking over tf2center. though i feel like mm should have a buy-in of <$5 so we dont get bad/noncompetitive players all the time, plus there would be less hackers/trolls that way.

Yeah it seems you'll have to buy the pass from the store, which is reasonable. I wouldn't even mind seeing a monthly subscription or something to that extent. It also seems they'll be using the phone auth system which should be punishing for hackers. The reason to use it over tf2center is that you'll get ranks and stuff like in CS:GO so you can compare e-peens. Matchmaking should also in theory provide even matchups unlike tf2c which often results in imbalanced teams. And the most important thing is: showing Valve that we care about the game. More people playing matchmaking = more people interested in competitive TF2 = more support from Valve. I honestly see little reason to actually play on tf2c when matchmaking is here. At least after you get to a rank that matches your level.

Yeah it seems you'll have to buy the pass from the store, which is reasonable. I wouldn't even mind seeing a monthly subscription or something to that extent. It also seems they'll be using the phone auth system which should be punishing for hackers. The reason to use it over tf2center is that you'll get ranks and stuff like in CS:GO so you can compare e-peens. Matchmaking should also in theory provide even matchups unlike tf2c which often results in imbalanced teams. And the most important thing is: showing Valve that we care about the game. More people playing matchmaking = more people interested in competitive TF2 = more support from Valve. I honestly see little reason to actually play on tf2c when matchmaking is here. At least after you get to a rank that matches your level.
ive never been one who cares about rank/epeen so that isnt a factor whatsoever for me, i honestly fail to see how it is for anyone. i guess whether or not i play on tf2c or in game mm will depend on which platform has better players overall, and how quick i can get into a game. as a hl player, a problem i have with tf2c is sometimes the lobbies take forever to start becuase no one wants to play heavy medic or engie. oh, and if it is a monthly subscription then theres no way ill use it over tf2c.

It's more the sense of progression for people. Same as with any other game with ranked modes. I can't speak for HL because I don't play it much and it probably will not be included in MM from the start because matching 18 people into a match is very hard, especially with some classes being a lot less popular, like you said. The quality of 6v6 on TF2C is pretty bad and while same will be true for matchmaking, in time it will hopefully be sorted out.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
RIP Pyro in the new update. Degreaser got nerfed to shit.

Also, they took out that harmless glitch where you'd never lose altitude with the BASE Jumper if you were on fire.

- Consecutive Airblasts will no longer prevent enemies from air-strafing until they touch the ground

Best change ever.

I don't understand the buff to Cozy Camper, nor do I think the goddamn MEDIC needed to be buffed like this. Also apparently you can't blastjump in freeze time so RIP Demoman rollouts. I'll probably be playing a lot over the holidays, this sure brings new fun to the game.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RIP Pyro in the new update. Degreaser got nerfed to shit.

Also, they took out that harmless glitch where you'd never lose altitude with the BASE Jumper if you were on fire.
Do note that Degreaser is currently bugged to switch at the same speed as stock tho.

- Consecutive Airblasts will no longer prevent enemies from air-strafing until they touch the ground

Best change ever.

I don't understand the buff to Cozy Camper, nor do I think the goddamn MEDIC needed to be buffed like this. Also apparently you can't blastjump in freeze time so RIP Demoman rollouts. I'll probably be playing a lot over the holidays, this sure brings new fun to the game.
Pyro v Pyro on a cliff will be who can airstrafe better now :D Cozy Camper is already decent. Probably they just wanted to up its usage more. Healing from Crossbow and Amputator giving Ubercharge is wowwwww. Can expect even faster Uber build rates, occasionally sub 40s woooo. Also Vaccinator <3

Comp will probably have the cvar to allow blastjump in freeze time so that Demo / Solly can still hit mid faster than Scouts.

Haven't tried the new Panic Attack but it seems fun if not slightly OP idk how it really works yet.

Yea Cozy Camper removes a core class weakness and is therefore fundamentally flawed. If they want to balance it they need to replace the flinching removal with something else, because Cozy Camper is unhealthy for competitive in its current state. And they buffed it. Sense=0.

And yea there is a cvar, but what about ingame matchmaking which is coming and which is presumably the reason for so many balance changes. It's a completely unnecessary change imo.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yea Cozy Camper removes a core class weakness and is therefore fundamentally flawed. If they want to balance it they need to replace the flinching removal with something else, because Cozy Camper is unhealthy for competitive in its current state. And they buffed it. Sense=0.

And yea there is a cvar, but what about ingame matchmaking which is coming and which is presumably the reason for so many balance changes. It's a completely unnecessary change imo.
Er Cozy Camper seems like a decent choice in comp other than the full time Razorback combo Snipers being practically immune to Spies. It didn't need any more buffs though since Snipers do get quite some overheals already to begin with.

Agreed on the jumps during freeze. It's a mechanic with the drawback of losing health. And it gives an edge to classes which can do that and isn't too strong or anything. Don't see a need to put every class on the same movement level.

I'm guessing the dev really want to shift Pyro from a secondary dependent class to being able to use primary weapons reliably for damage. The previous Degreaser was basically an insta kill for light classes once they're in airblast range given how stun lock works and as long as you don't miss which you really shouldn't. Still waiting for them to fix the switch time bugs lol.

Also Phlog just became more dumb lol ~_~ It shouldn't have the damage resistance in the first place and now they gave Uber instead... Removing knockback is fine but yea they overkilled it.... No knockback + no resistance would be the way to go. RIP Det + Axtinguisher :( No more hopes of Market Gardening Axt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)