Team Berserker

Coolest looking dragon?

• Total voters
TEAM BERSERKER

This is my newest team for competitive 4th gen. I had scrapped my old team and along with it had new ideas rise. I wanted to use some unorthodox overused pokemon over the common TTar, Gyarados, Blissey. I know some of these are pretty common but I enjoy this new set-up. I've had reletivly good success with this team, but I need help from veterans so I can work out the little kinks I failed to notice, or noticed but don't know how to fix.

======================================

======================================​

Mamoswine (M) @ (Leftovers)
Nature: Adamant (+Att,-S.At)
Ability: Snow Cloak
EV Spread: 252 hp/att, 4 def
Moves:
-Ice Shard
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock

Mamoswine is my lead. He helps set off Stealth Rock right at the start, and being able to manage this due to his high hp and many resistances to common leads. I have ice shard to take care of any ground/dragon leads as well as the EQ and SE combo for type coverage and STAB bonus. The Ice Shard is a must due to Mamo's "bulk and no speed" trait. Mamoswine's main duty is to set up SR and do as much damage as he can. I don't usually need him beyond setting up rocks and doing as much damage as possible. The EV investment could be mixed up a bit and place them in defence over attack, but I don't know if that's worth it.

Heracross (M) @ (Flame Orb)
Nature: Adamant (+Att,-S.Att)
Ability: Guts
EV Spread: 252 att/spd, 4 hp
Moves:
-Megahorn
-Stone Edge
-Close Combat
-Swords Dance

I know, it's ballsy to try to set up SD on a suicide sweeper. The main objective here is to set Hera up against a wall or someone who is incapable of KOing him. Then on the turn they switch, set up SD and add that Attack +2 with his Guts/Flame Orb combo for some STAB KOing with Close Combat and Megahorn. I know the type coverage is a little weak with him but he's meant to strike hard and fast and not live for long. Hopefully if he's against a wall, he'll have the type coverage; and if against a sweeper, hopefully he can outpace it.

Breloom (M) @ (Toxic Orb)
Nature: Adamant (+Att,-S.Att)
Ability: Poison Heal
EV Spread: 252 hp/att, 4 def
Moves:
-Spore
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Focus Punch

Breloom is the primary killer of this team. Once sent out, I use spore to put the enemy to sleep. Then, on the switch turn, set up a sub. Toxic orb will begin to heal a 1/8 portion of Breloom's hp, along with a potential leech seed if I can survive whoever is combating Breloom. Hiding behind substitute, focus punch is a sure hit STAB move the will KO most things behind Breloom's monstrous 394 att. Breloom is ment to last and wear down the opponent with Spore and Leech Seed. The most common faults with this strategy is the obvious sleep clause as well as the slightly above par speed stat. Most things I'll have my Breloom face won't be able to outspeed it but there is always a chance for a wild scarfer.

Alakazam (M) @ Life Orb
Nature: Modest (+S.Att,-Att)
Ability: Synchronize
EV Spread: 252 s.att/spd, 4 hp
Moves:
-Psychic
-Recover
-Calm Mind
-Focus Blast

Many people laugh at this set. I disagree with the dissenters though. If sent out against a disadvantageous pokemon, they'll most likely switch. If Alakazam can set up a calm mind, and then STAB psychic with Life Orb bonus coupled with the +1 Special Attack, Alakazam's 405 S.Att is frightening. His 339 Speed Stat works well with recovery. If life orb takes away to much, just recover. I notice that he suffers a huge pursuit weakness, but it faced with the common pursuiter in TTar, he can Focus Blast him into a KO. I'm thinking of a switch between my Kazam and Gengar. Kazam seems more reliable with the superior speed and special attack. Thoughts?

Umbreon (M) @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm (+S.Def,-Att)
Ability: Synchronize
EV Spread: 252 hp/s.def, 4 def
Moves:
-Wish
-Toxic
-Protect
-Confuse Ray

Umbreon is the core supporter and staller of the team. Hopefully, with a landed toxic, Umbreon can sit back and confuse the opponent while constantly wearing down the opponent with wish and protect. Leftovers provide constant recovery. With an hp stat and special defense capping out at nearly 400, Umbreon can take almost anything thrown at him. Initially, Vaporeon has this spot. The only move change was confuse ray and surf. From stat comparing, Vaporeon had a superior hp stat while Umbreon overshadowed Vaporeon with it's S. Def stat. I finally chose Umbreon due to the confuse ray being more appropriate for my Umbreon's walling purposes.

Dusknoir (M) @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish (+Def,-S.Att)
Ability: Pressure
EV Spread: 252 hp/def, 4 s.def
Moves:
-Pain Split
-Will-O-Wisp
-Shadow Sneak
-Thunderpunch

I realize that I have three pokemon causing three different status ailments. However, with the sleep cause, and the common serene grace out there, a free burn is always helpful. Leftovers compensate for Dusknoir's par hp stat. Shadow Sneak provides STAB and doesn't rely on EV speed investment. Thunderpunch for type coverage, and pain split for a double wammy of recovery and damage. I initially had skarmory here as the physical wall but I kept being outdone by the plethora of infernape's, electivire's, and jolteon's. Dusknoir sadly has only average hp with a semi-limited move pool. I tried my best with this set up, any things I missed?

--------------------------------------​

Everyone thanks for reading. I've had some success with this team but I haven't been able to face MANY opponents. I lack the experience with facing unorthodox teams as well as set ups. I am also looking for oversights or flaws in my strategy planning. Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

Very unique team.

Mamoswine without Focus Sash loses to Machamp and Heatran leads, so I'd suggest using the standard Lead set.

Heracross, like you said, is ballsy. But it's a little too risky to SD since there are always fast Pokemon. And if the opponent outspeeds your Heracross, then he's almost instantly dead. Plus, Megahorn and Stone Edge both have unreliable accuracy. In my opinion, other than the accuracy problems that Heracross just always has to deal with, the only way to make this set work is to spread around paralysis since Heracross doesn't use a priority move.
And to additionally help Heracross, you could switch Stone Edge to Facade for more power and reliability, while your team does its part in removing flying types. The double unreliable moves is, well, unreliable. If Heracross is an early game sweeper, I guess this is a little more acceptable.

Mamoswine, Alakazam, and Heracross all seem very aggresive-oriented, while pretty frail. Breloom is balanced, while Umbreon and Dusknoir are pretty defensive and slow-paced.

I see you didn't really mention synergy or team strategy, so it'd be nice to know some things about that to give a better rate.

Other than Breloom and somewhat Mamoswine, these all seem like the lower threats of OU (including a UU pokemon). Not that this wouldn't work, but you should definitely try some of the more powerful threats such as Heatran, Scizor, Flygon, Tyranitar, etc. for an offensive team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)