Tapu Lele Discussion

Tapu Lele is much faster than Bisharp and thus can defeat it with a Focus Blast before getting hit by Iron Head.

Actually, if Tapu Lele has a Life Orb and Bisharp has only attack and speed EVs, Moonblast is enough:
252 SpA Life Orb Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 270-320 (99.6 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So it's literally a superior Gardevoir / Mega Gardevoir that doesn't take up your Mega slot, is initially faster, and is more Psychic-attack focused and doesn't die like a total loser to Sucker Punch and Bullet Punch. Guess who's dropping to RU this gen.

Sweet shit, but keep in mind that like its fellow Psychics (such as said Gardevoir and Jynx) its only average Speed can hold it back and if you wanna power it up w/o resorting to Choice Specs, you gotta Life Orb and that ain't helping survivability much. This much goes without saying, but yeah I see it facing a great deal of pressure from naturally faster threats. A set I'd go with myself is:

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb / Twistedspoon
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast / Shadow Ball
- Taunt / Aromatherapy / Calm Mind

Psychic Surge pretty much gives Lele a free Specs boost for Psyshock and 2HKOes standard last-gen Chansey off the bat assuming Eviolite mechs haven't changed (51.8 - 61.3%). If you're not worried about special walls b/c Psychic hits them hard enough or you have Taunt, go with Psychic. Moonblast is pretty good blah blah blah, Focus Blast for Steels or Shadow Ball for opposing bulky Psychics. Taunt gives you a basic win card against passive threats like with some Gardevoir sets, while it totally has some time to use Aromatherapy due to how many threats it scares off. Calm Mind is a little extraneous imo due to how hard Lele hits off the bat but it's also a win hard against balance teams that like to attack instead of use support moves.

If you Specs dis shit, just put Psychic or Thunderbolt in the last slot and we're basically done.

Last edited:
I prefer to get the item to prolong the time of psychic terrain and do a Deoxys-S or M-Alakazam based team, so they can clean teams so easily withouth worry of priority moves.

edit: I think the Alola Gods are more for put those terrains which they are so useful and they can help the entire team.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm curious to see if one could use a Psychic-spam strategy in Ubers with this thing. Tapu Lele + MMY or Deoxys-A could be very scary indeed...

Oh wow, I'm not even sure where I want to go with this thing. The 120 bp psyshock and 135 Psychic off 130 spA? I can't tell if I want to choice specs or scarf the thing. I'm leaning scarf for its priority immunity, though I can forsee some humorous occasions where a player switches Tapu Lele in on the tail end of its own psychic terrain and is left naked in front of a mega medicham.

Oh, the calm mind sets will be great too. It's perfectly built for it. I could even see some sets running calm mind as a back up for wall breaking.

This thing will be the face of OU until it is eventually suspect tested and possibly banned. The only things it has trouble with are Steel-types, but it can still run HP Fire to get around them.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Something fun to think of in Ubers

Tapu Lele @ Eject Button
//Placeholder set
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Toxic
- Aromatherapy

Deoxys-A @ Life Orb
Rash Nature (+SpA, -SpD)
- Psycho Boost
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- ExtremeSpeed / Psychic

"For my next trick I'll make their life bar disappear"

Have Tapu Lele come in on a hit and set up Psychic Terrain, eject out to Deo, and press Psycho Boost. Chances are, something's gonna disappear. Like this:

252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-A Psycho Boost vs. 248 HP / 52 SpD Ho-Oh in psychic terrain: 415-489 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Oh and it's now immune to priority and outruns basically everything soo...get your Psychic quad resists / immunes / Lugias ready.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Doesn't Eject Button send out something at random? Also, Deo-A can't use E-Speed while Psychic Terrain is up.

Regardless, Psychic Terrain has another use in Ubers: Screwing with E-Killer.

So it's literally a superior Gardevoir / Mega Gardevoir that doesn't take up your Mega slot, is initially faster, and is more Psychic-attack focused and doesn't die like a total loser to Sucker Punch and Bullet Punch. Guess who's dropping to RU this gen.

Sweet shit, but keep in mind that like its fellow Psychics (such as said Gardevoir and Jynx) its only average Speed can hold it back and if you wanna power it up w/o resorting to Choice Specs, you gotta Life Orb and that ain't helping survivability much. This much goes without saying, but yeah I see it facing a great deal of pressure from naturally faster threats. A set I'd go with myself is:

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb / Twistedspoon
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast / Shadow Ball
- Taunt / Aromatherapy / Calm Mind

Psychic Surge pretty much gives Lele a free Specs boost for Psyshock and 2HKOes standard last-gen Chansey off the bat assuming Eviolite mechs haven't changed (51.8 - 61.3%). If you're not worried about special walls b/c Psychic hits them hard enough or you have Taunt, go with Psychic. Moonblast is pretty good blah blah blah, Focus Blast for Steels or Shadow Ball for opposing bulky Psychics. Taunt gives you a basic win card against passive threats like with some Gardevoir sets, while it totally has some time to use Aromatherapy due to how many threats it scares off. Calm Mind is a little extraneous imo due to how hard Lele hits off the bat but it's also a win hard against balance teams that like to attack instead of use support moves.

If you Specs dis shit, just put Psychic or Thunderbolt in the last slot and we're basically done.
To be fair Lele has no Pixilate Hyper Voice or other things like Will-O-Wisp that Mega Garde has over it along with slightly less special bulk & speed. Lele can hold items and not take the Mega slot in return along with basically been immune to propriety, I think they are equally as good honestly. I do agree that, outside of Trace, Lele completely outclasses normal-Gardevoir in pretty much every ways however.

To be fair Lele has no Pixilate Hyper Voice or other things like Will-O-Wisp that Mega Garde has over it along with slightly less special bulk & speed. Lele can hold items and not take the Mega slot in return along with basically been immune to propriety, I think they are equally as good honestly. I do agree that, outside of Trace, Lele completely outclasses normal-Gardevoir in pretty much every ways however.
You seem to underestimate the Mega Slot thing. Why run Mega-Garde when you can run Lele AND another, better Mega entirely?

You seem to underestimate the Mega Slot thing. Why run Mega-Garde when you can run Lele AND another, better Mega entirely?
Different Megas offers different advantages/disadvantages. Mega Diancie is the only Mega I can think of that is similar to Mega Garde in a way but they still have several differences and aren't as similar as some people think overall. Mega Garde is stronger than Lele but Lele not taking the Mega slot is what make me have the opinion they appears equal in viability or at least close.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
This thing will be the face of OU until it is eventually suspect tested and possibly banned. The only things it has trouble with are Steel-types, but it can still run HP Fire to get around them.
Tapu Lele actually gets Focus Blast, so it doesn't even need to worry about Steel-types that much unless it misses, of course.

That being said, Tapu Lele's Psychic under Psychic Terrain is practically as powerful as Mega Gardevoir's Hyper Voice. Without a boosting item.

252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Shaymin in Psychic Terrain: 222-262 (65.1 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (It has the same base stats as Mew, after all)
232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 226-267 (66.2 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Of course, Gardevoir has the better Fairy move... but not by much if we add a boosting item.

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 203-239 (59.5 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mega Gardevoir will have to focus on its support moves and higher Speed if it wants to have the edge, as Tapu Lele's ability to hit harder with one STAB and a little weaker on the other while being immune to priority and not using the Mega Slot...

Provided you don't run both, of course, overwhelming their own checks. Mega Gardevoir does love Psychic Terrain, getting two stupidly powerful STABs to work with, and preventing a Mega Scizor check. And considering fast Steels essentially don't exist...

232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shaymin in Psychic Terrain: 232-274 (68 - 80.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 309-364 (48.1 - 56.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
That being said, Tapu Lele's Psychic under Psychic Terrain is practically as powerful as Mega Gardevoir's Hyper Voice. Without a boosting item.

252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Shaymin in Psychic Terrain: 222-262 (65.1 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (It has the same base stats as Mew, after all)
232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 226-267 (66.2 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Of course, Gardevoir has the better Fairy move... but not by much if we add a boosting item.

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 203-239 (59.5 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mega Gardevoir will have to focus on its support moves and higher Speed if it wants to have the edge, as Tapu Lele's ability to hit harder with one STAB and a little weaker on the other while being immune to priority and not using the Mega Slot...

Provided you don't run both, of course, overwhelming their own checks. Mega Gardevoir does love Psychic Terrain, getting two stupidly powerful STABs to work with, and preventing a Mega Scizor check.

232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shaymin in Psychic Terrain: 232-274 (68 - 80.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 309-364 (48.1 - 56.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Their highest-damaging attack being different typing put more differences between them. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I assume Psychic Terrain only lasts for a certain number of turns. Choice items seems to be preferred for Lele so it just make their sets different than that I thought anyway. I could potentially see Lele be a teammate for Garde because like you've said Psychic Terrain can blocks propriety and make Psyshock even better for beating Chansey, I might try it myself.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
And considering fast Steels essentially don't exist...
Well actually

Granted you can have checks and counters for them and you can smell them a mile away, but I believe after SM stabilizes they'll be as popular as ever.

Something fun to think of in Ubers

Tapu Lele @ Eject Button
//Placeholder set
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Toxic
- Aromatherapy

Deoxys-A @ Life Orb
Rash Nature (+SpA, -SpD)
- Psycho Boost
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- ExtremeSpeed / Psychic

"For my next trick I'll make their life bar disappear"

Have Tapu Lele come in on a hit and set up Psychic Terrain, eject out to Deo, and press Psycho Boost. Chances are, something's gonna disappear. Like this:

252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-A Psycho Boost vs. 248 HP / 52 SpD Ho-Oh in psychic terrain: 415-489 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Oh and it's now immune to priority and outruns basically everything soo...get your Psychic quad resists / immunes / Lugias ready.
Actually this is why I worry for Lele's future in standard since it basically makes stuff like Mega Alakazam, Deoxys, or, in Ubers, Mewtwo and Deoxys-A nigh unstoppable unless you have sandstorm + sandrush excadrill or Scarf Landoge on your behalf. Then again, there aren't actually that many usable overbearing Psychic-types in OU that can make use of Psychic terrain in time, and you can see the strategy a wide mile away.

I'm considering a Scarf Set for VGC since it has a massive enough Special Attack Stat and a good 95 Base speed to run it... Would This set work out okay?
Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Psychic Surge
EVs 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Energy Ball/Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball/Nature's Madness

Psyshock and Psychic both get a 2HKO vs Toxapex, So Psyshock would work best since it means you are less likely to be stymied by a Special Wall. Hidden Power Fire is probably more preferable to Ground so you can hit Skarm and Celesteela. Also snags KOs on Ice-Types like Alolan Ninetales. Not sure what to put in the last spot, since that may be more dependent on Team composition.

I'm considering a Scarf Set for VGC since it has a massive enough Special Attack Stat and a good 95 Base speed to run it... Would This set work out okay?
It would work okay. If you're really worried about Toxapex, though, Specs would make it a 1hko. You have a variety of support options available to make unleashing specs Top Lel a reality.

It would work okay. If you're really worried about Toxapex, though, Specs would make it a 1hko. You have a variety of support options available to make unleashing specs Top Lel a reality.
Not really, but given that it is probably one of the bulkiest things in the meta, using it as a reference point seems neat. Although given that it is a SE attack in the first place... *shrug*

At first I thought "meh, Psychic is so-so and it's not really fast".
And then I saw Psychic Terrain. wow. Between this guy and Mega-Garde, you better bring something like Sp-Def Jirachi or Metagross because something is gonna die. I fear that, because of Mega-Garde presence, this duo becomes really hard to manage. He is on the slow side however, so there's that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)