Doubles Tapu Koko

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Taken over from Arcticblast. Sorry ablast :(

[OVERVIEW]

Undoubtedly the most punk rock of all Pokemon, Tapu Koko's loud and intense effects on the Doubles OU metagame cannot be ignored: its high Speed stat, Electric typing, and immense power through Electric Surge make it one of the most potent offensive threats around, dropping wicked Thunderbolts onto anything that doesn't resist them. On top of its power boost, Electric Terrain also has great utility, providing a blanket sleep immunity for everything grounded. Tapu Koko's Electric typing additionally makes it one of the premier answers to common Pokemon in the metagame, such as Mega Salamence and Tapu Fini. Unfortunately, Tapu Koko is rather linear, and it is heavily reliant on Electric Terrain and Life Orb for its damage output, as a base 95 Special Attack is pitifully low for an offensive Pokemon. Additionally, its most reliable Fairy-type STAB attack is Dazzling Gleam, which is even weaker when factoring in spread-reduced damage. Tapu Koko is also incredibly frail, often taking half HP or even more from resisted moves and simply fainting to strong neutral hits. Nonetheless, Tapu Koko is a great addition to offensively oriented teams that need a fast attacker.

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Hidden Power Ice / Dazzling Gleam
move 3: Volt Switch / Taunt
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb
ability: Electric Surge
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Tapu Koko's Thunderbolt is powerful and difficult to switch into with Electric Terrain; this is the move you're probably using the most. Hidden Power Ice allows Tapu Koko to hit non-Choice Scarf Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Salamence much harder than Dazzling Gleam. Dazzling Gleam, while much weaker, gives Tapu Koko a relatively strong spread STAB move that hits Pokemon such as Salamence and Hoopa-U hard. Volt Switch gives Tapu Koko a strong move that can be used to scout switches or get another Pokemon in easily. Alternatively, Taunt stops the foe from setting up, including stat boosting moves and speed control like Tailwind or Trick Room. Protect lets Tapu Koko block powerful attacks headed its way and do all the other wonderful things Protect does, such as stall out field conditions, but you should use it wisely, as it uses up a turn of Electric Terrain. Teams that run both Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini can use a unique set of Nature Power, Volt Switch, Hidden Power Ice, and Protect. Nature Power transforms into Thunderbolt in Electric Terrain and Moonblast in Misty Terrain, thus giving Tapu Koko a strong STAB option in both Terrains. Keep in mind, however, that it can be disabled by Taunt.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed EVs with a Timid nature make use of Tapu Koko's blistering Speed and ensure that it outruns the most Pokemon it can while being able to Speed tie Mega Gengar and opposing Tapu Koko. Maximum Special Attack EVs with a Life Orb boost Tapu Koko's otherwise mediocre Special Attack stat and make it hit as hard as possible. If you're using Nature Power, Normalium Z is a pretty swell item that helps Tapu Koko OHKO Tapu Fini with Gigavolt Havoc and Zygarde with Twinkle Tackle, depending on the active Terrain.

Usage Tips
========

Most of the time Tapu Koko will be using Thunderbolt. Because Electric is such a strong typing, many Pokemon will opt not to stay in against it, for fear of taking heavy damage. Typically, switch out if Electric Terrain is gone, as Tapu Koko is very weak without it. Use Protect when Tapu Koko is immediately threatened, thus letting Tapu Koko's partner soften up whatever is on the other side to put it into Thunderbolt's KO range. Moves other than Thunderbolt are honestly situational at best. Dazzling Gleam is a good move to use when Tapu Koko or its partner can possibly pick up two KOs or when you're staring down a Hydreigon or Scrafty. Hidden Power Ice snipes down Pokemon 4x weak to Ice, but you won't use it much otherwise. Thunderbolt will almost always do more damage to each target unless it's resisted. If Thunderbolt is resisted and Dazzling Gleam is super effective, such as against Kyurem-B, or Dazzling Gleam is 4x effective, such as against Scrafty, Dazzling Gleam will do more, but otherwise it is better to just use Thunderbolt. Tapu Koko is effective at almost all stages of the game, whether it's keeping Mega Salamence at bay through the early-game or cleaning up late-game.

Team Options
========

While Tapu Koko requires some team support, it's a strong standalone Pokemon that fits on many teams. Tapu Koko appreciates teammates that can stop Choice Scarf Landorus-T more than anything else. Wide Guard users like Celesteela, Tailwind users, such as Shaymin-S and Suicune, and Pokemon that can outright OHKO it, such as bulky Water-types and Kyurem-B, are all great options. Pokemon with Ice-type coverage are good partners, as they can hit every Electric-resistant Pokemon or Ground-type hard, with Kyurem-B being a notable option. Kyurem-B also benefits from Electric Terrain's boost, allowing it to beat Celesteela with Fusion Bolt. Tapu Koko's ability to beat bulky Water-types and Flying-types enables the Pokemon they normally wall to use their moves freely, such as Landorus-T, Mega Salamence, and Mega Charizard Y. If using Nature Power, Tapu Fini is a great partner to get access to Moonblast. Tapu Fini additionally takes on Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Hoopa-U for Tapu Koko.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Assault Vest is an excellent item on Tapu Koko thanks to its access to Nature's Madness and Sky Drop, trading power for bulk and utility; this set is niche, however, and neither of those moves is appealing on Life Orb sets. Electrium Z and Fairium Z are both effective Z-Crystals should you choose to run one; Electrium Z is by far the most ruinous, whereas Fairium Z gives Tapu Koko a strong Fairy-type move. On rain teams, Tapu Koko can use Thunder instead, and it also has access to Rain Dance to support those teams. Tapu Koko can use its base 115 Attack and run a physical or mixed set; however, its physical movepool consists of U-turn and a bunch of recoil moves (Brave Bird and Wild Charge), making its reign of terror short-lived. Focus Sash is a good alternative to Life Orb if you're looking to trade a little power for added safety; however, Tyranitar and Alolan Ninetales are both common Pokemon in the metagame, so Focus Sash usually isn't the best item. Choice Specs is an option to further increase Tapu Koko's damage output; however, it does not appreciate locking itself into Thunderbolt, as a lot of common Pokemon are immune to Electric-type moves, such as Landorus-T and Zygarde.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Pokemon such as Tapu Bulu, Ferrothorn, and Amoonguss can easily switch into Tapu Koko and essentially wall it completely. Tapu Bulu overrides Electric Terrain, whereas Ferrothorn and Amoonguss can threaten Tapu Koko with Gyro Ball and Sludge Bomb, respectively.

**Electric-immune Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Thundurus-T and Alolan Marowak take no damage from Thunderbolt and can threaten Tapu Koko back with super effective coverage moves. While most Ground-types take massive damage from Hidden Power Ice, if they outspeed Tapu Koko, they'll usually OHKO it with their STAB attacks, such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Dragon Dance Zygarde.

**Icy Wind and Trick Room**: Tapu Koko relies heavily on its high Speed; going last is basically a death sentence for it because of its frailty. Beware of Hoopa-U, which can both set Trick Room and tear Tapu Koko apart with Hyperspace Hole should Tapu Koko dare to Taunt it.

**Bulky Attackers**: Very bulky Pokemon such as Tyranitar laugh off everything Tapu Koko can throw at them except for Nature's Madness. Assault Vest Landorus-T can bait Tapu Koko into attacking, tank a hit, and do massive damage in return, and Hoopa-U can shrug off most hits and can either threaten Tapu Koko with Hyperspace Hole or set up Trick Room.

Last edited:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
From what I've seen in matches the second slashes should move up before the first slash imo (HP Ice + Volt Switch > Dazzling Gleam + HP Ice). Being able to pivot with Volt Switch is big.

When you are mentioning Nature Power, you should also mention Normalium Z for Gigavolt Havoc / Twinkle Tackle

I personally think AV deserves its own set - I think since February AV Tapu Koko has popped up a couple of times with success.

I would remove OO mention of Focus Sash; increased usage of sand and SR makes it not worth the loss of power. Tapu Koko is also surprisingly bulky for a sweeper mon.
I would give Choice Specs an OO mention instead; gives Tapu Koko the much needed extra kick.

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for getting this analysis moving, dad1! I didn't have time tonight to give this a full check, but I made a few observations:
  • [OVERVIEW] Remove the line about Amoonguss having been removed from the game; it's still a Tier 2 mon on the VR and one of the best redirection supports -- even if Spore isn't what it used to be. If anything, Amoonguss pretty much walls Koko.
  • [OVERVIEW] Remove the reference to Mence and Skymin as "former Ubers," as readers not familiar with XY DOU won't know what this is referring to.
  • [OVERVIEW] This is pretty nitpicky, I know, but Skymin almost always packs focus sash, so Koko's probably not going to OHKO it and risks getting hit hard with a Seed Flare or Earth Power in retaliation. It might be better just to say that Koko has a fantastic speed tier, outpacing prominent fast attackers such as Mega Salamence and Shaymin-S.
  • [OVERVIEW] I'm a bit confused by your sentence about a base 95 Special Attack stat making Dazzling Gleam "even weaker than it already is." How does a base stat make something weaker than it is? :S
  • [SET COMMENTS] Mention that HP Ice is hitting non-scarfed variants of Lando-T - scarfed variants are just gonna kill Koko first
  • [Team Options] Electric Terrain lets Kyurem-B "beat" Celesteela, not "be" Celesteela :)
  • [Team Options] The following sentence is a bit unclear, even though I'm pretty sure you're saying that Koko clears the way for the aforementioned mons to spam attacks freely: "Tapu Koko's ability to beat bulky Water-types and Flying-types enables the Pokemon they normally wall to go crazy, such as Landorus-T, Mega Salamence, and Mega Charizard Y."
  • [Team Options] You wrote: "Mega Salamence, Heatran, Tyranitar, and other Pokemon that can use consistent spread moves are also great partners, clearing the way for Tapu Koko to drop Thunderbolt on everything lategame." Anything that can weaken targets to be in Koko's KO range will make Koko a more effective late game sweeper - I don't understand why this has to be reserved for the aforementioned spread attackers?
  • [Other Options] Z-Mirror Move should be the last item in this section, if mentioned at all. I haven't seen this used in high-level play and, as you mentioned, it's pretty gimmicky.
  • [Checks and Counters] Amoonguss should be added under the **Electric Resists and Atypical Immunities** since it doesn't mind taking any of Tapu Koko's attacks and can either wall Koko with Rage Powder or chip away at it with Sludge Bomb.
Re: amcheck comments:
  • Pocket's first two bullets are both valid. The Hidden Power Ice / Volt Switch / Taunt slot can be #2, with dazzling gleam/HP being filler in slot 3. Normalium Z definately warrants a mention when used in tandem with Nature Power -- Matame's sample semiroom team has been using this set to a high degree of success.
  • The QC team talked a bit about whether AV deserves its own set. The consensus seemed to be that it hasn't seen quite enough use/success to warrant a standalone set, but definately is high OO. If you have strong feelings one way or the other, I'm happy to hear those out, but in the interim this doesn't require its own set.
  • Specs is worth adding to (low) OO. Focus Sash should also stay, but be moved close to the end of this section for the reasons Pocket mentioned.
Start with those - and let me know if you have strong opinions towards any of the above comments, and I'll try to take a more thorough look at this tomorrow!

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for getting this analysis moving, dad1! I didn't have time tonight to give this a full check, but I made a few observations:
  • [OVERVIEW] Remove the line about Amoonguss having been removed from the game; it's still a Tier 2 mon on the VR and one of the best redirection supports -- even if Spore isn't what it used to be. If anything, Amoonguss pretty much walls Koko.
  • [OVERVIEW] Remove the reference to Mence and Skymin as "former Ubers," as readers not familiar with XY DOU won't know what this is referring to.
  • [OVERVIEW] This is pretty nitpicky, I know, but Skymin almost always packs focus sash, so Koko's probably not going to OHKO it and risks getting hit hard with a Seed Flare or Earth Power in retaliation. It might be better just to say that Koko has a fantastic speed tier, outpacing prominent fast attackers such as Mega Salamence and Shaymin-S.
  • [OVERVIEW] I'm a bit confused by your sentence about a base 95 Special Attack stat making Dazzling Gleam "even weaker than it already is." How does a base stat make something weaker than it is? :S
  • [SET COMMENTS] Mention that HP Ice is hitting non-scarfed variants of Lando-T - scarfed variants are just gonna kill Koko first
  • [Team Options] Electric Terrain lets Kyurem-B "beat" Celesteela, not "be" Celesteela :)
  • [Team Options] The following sentence is a bit unclear, even though I'm pretty sure you're saying that Koko clears the way for the aforementioned mons to spam attacks freely: "Tapu Koko's ability to beat bulky Water-types and Flying-types enables the Pokemon they normally wall to go crazy, such as Landorus-T, Mega Salamence, and Mega Charizard Y."
  • [Team Options] You wrote: "Mega Salamence, Heatran, Tyranitar, and other Pokemon that can use consistent spread moves are also great partners, clearing the way for Tapu Koko to drop Thunderbolt on everything lategame." Anything that can weaken targets to be in Koko's KO range will make Koko a more effective late game sweeper - I don't understand why this has to be reserved for the aforementioned spread attackers?
  • [Other Options] Z-Mirror Move should be the last item in this section, if mentioned at all. I haven't seen this used in high-level play and, as you mentioned, it's pretty gimmicky.
  • [Checks and Counters] Amoonguss should be added under the **Electric Resists and Atypical Immunities** since it doesn't mind taking any of Tapu Koko's attacks and can either wall Koko with Rage Powder or chip away at it with Sludge Bomb.
Re: amcheck comments:
  • Pocket's first two bullets are both valid. The Hidden Power Ice / Volt Switch / Taunt slot can be #2, with dazzling gleam/HP being filler in slot 3. Normalium Z definately warrants a mention when used in tandem with Nature Power -- Matame's sample semiroom team has been using this set to a high degree of success.
  • The QC team talked a bit about whether AV deserves its own set. The consensus seemed to be that it hasn't seen quite enough use/success to warrant a standalone set, but definately is high OO. If you have strong feelings one way or the other, I'm happy to hear those out, but in the interim this doesn't require its own set.
  • Specs is worth adding to (low) OO. Focus Sash should also stay, but be moved close to the end of this section for the reasons Pocket mentioned.
Start with those - and let me know if you have strong opinions towards any of the above comments, and I'll try to take a more thorough look at this tomorrow!
updated!

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is looking really good. QC 2/2 with the below changes:
  • [SET] Taunt should still be on the move 3 slot, slashed behind Volt Switch - this is my bad, I must have been really tired last night when I wrote about reordering the slashes :/
    e: the more I think about this, I don't think anyone runs both HP Ice and Dazzling Gleam on the same set. Let's make slot 2 HP Ice / Dazzling Gleam, and slot 3 Volt Switch / Taunt
  • [Moves] Move the sentence about Protect to the end of this section.
  • [Other Options] Explain what Z-Mirror Move does.
  • [Other Options] Move up your sentences on the Z Crystals, so they appear after the mention of Assault Vest.

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
I know GenOne said 2/2 but a fair amount has changed since I gave the 1/2 so I just have a couple more things:
  • [Set] We probably can't just leave it as "Tapu Kimo", I think that's actually left over from when kami was working on this before Arctic took it. Change to "Special Attacker" or something
  • [Moves] I know GenOne said to put Protect last, but place it right before the bit about Nature Power
  • [Set Details] If using Nature Power, Normalium Z is a pretty swell item that helps Tapu Koko OHKO Tapu Fini with Gigavolt Havoc and Zygarde with Twinkle Tackle, depending on the active terrain
  • [Usage Tips] Typically switch out if Electric Terrain is overridden, with Volt Switch if Tapu Koko is carrying the move
  • [Team Options] Tapu Fini if running Nature Power to get access to Moonblast, also takes on Scarf Lando-T / Hoopa-U for Koko
  • [Other Options] Order should be AV -> Electrium / Fairium -> Thunder / Rain Dance for rain teams -> Mixed/Phys Attacker -> Focus Sash -> Choice Specs; Remove TWave / Grass Knot / Tapunium Z / Z-Mirror Move
  • [Checks and Counters] The tags here are a bit weird but the information in them is good, so I'm just going to ask for a little rearranging: **Grass-types**, **Electric Immunities**, **Icy Wind and Trick Room**, and **Bulky Attackers** should be the tags. If you have any questions for how to split up the info that you already have lmk but I don't want to condescend and assume you won't. Only thing I'll say is Hoopa-U can go in both of the last two tags. Also I don't feel like typing it all out heh
Do the above for QC 3/2!

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Undoubtedly the most punk rock of all Pokemon, Tapu Koko's loud and intense effects on the Doubles OU metagame cannot be ignored: its high Speed stat, Electric typing, and immense power through Electric Surge make it one of the most potent offensive threats around, dropping wicked Thunderbolts onto anything that doesn't resist them. On top of its power boost, Electric Terrain also have has great utility, being providing a blanket sleep immunity for everything grounded. This Tapu Koko's Electric typing additionally makes it one of the premier answers to common Pokemon in the metagame, such as Mega Salamence and Tapu Fini. Unfortunately, Tapu Koko is a rather linear Pokemon, and the good things end here. Tapu Koko's damage output It is heavily reliant on Electric Terrain and Life Orb for its damage output, as a base 95 base Special Attack is pitifully low for an offensive Pokemon. Additionally, its most reliable Fairy-type STAB attack is Dazzling Gleam, which is even weaker when factoring spread-reduced damage. It is also incredibly frail, often taking half HP or even more from not very effective resisted moves and simply fainting to strong neutral hits. Nonetheless, Tapu Koko is a great addition to offensively oriented teams that need a fast attacker.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Tapu Koko's Thunderbolt is powerful and difficult to switch into with Electric Terrain; this is the move you're probably using the most. Hidden Power Ice allows Tapu Koko to hit non-Choice (AH) Scarf Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Salamence much harder. Dazzling Gleam, while much weaker, gives you Tapu Koko a relatively strong spread STAB move that hits Pokemon such as Salamence and Hoopa-U hard. Volt Switch gives Tapu Koko a strong move that can be used to scout switches or get another Pokemon in easily. Alternatively, (AC) Taunt stops the opponent from setting up, including stat boosting moves and speed control like Tailwind or Trick Room. Protect lets Tapu Koko dodge powerful attacks headed its way and do all the other wonderful things Protect does, such as stall out field conditions, (AC) but you should use it wisely, (AC) as it uses up a turn of Electric Terrain. Teams that run both Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini can use a unique set of Nature Power, Volt Switch, Hidden Power Ice, and Protect. Nature Power transforms into Thunderbolt in Electric Terrain and Moonblast in Misty Terrain, thus giving Tapu Koko a strong STAB option in both terrains. Keep in mind, howeever, however, that it can be disabled by Taunt.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed EVs with a Timid Nature makes nature make use of Tapu Koko's blistering Speed and ensures that it outruns the most Pokemon it can while being able to speed tie Mega Gengar and opposing Tapu Koko. Maximum Special Attack EVs with a Life Orb boosts Tapu Koko's otherwise mediocre Special Attack stat and makes it so that it hits hit as hard as possible. If you're using Nature Power, Normalium Z is a pretty swell item that helps Tapu Koko OHKO Tapu Fini with Gigavolt Havoc and Zygarde with Twinkle Tackle, depending on the active terrain.

Usage Tips
========

Most of the time Tapu Koko will be using Thunderbolt. Because Electric is such a strong typing, many Pokemon will opt not to stay in against it, for fear of taking heavy damage. Typically, (AC) switch out if Electric Terrain is gone; Tapu Koko is very weak without it. Protect when Tapu Koko is immediately threatened, thus letting its partner soften up whatever is on the other side to put it into Thunderbolt's KO range. Moves that aren't other than Thunderbolt are honestly situational at best. Dazzling Gleam is a good move to use when Tapu Koko or its partner can possibly pick up two KOs (RC) or when you're staring down a Hydreigon or Scrafty. Hidden Power Ice snipes down Pokemon 4x weak to Ice, (AC) but you won't use it much otherwise. Thunderbolt will almost always do more damage to each target unless it's resisted. If Thunderbolt is resisted and Dazzling Gleam is super effective, such as Kyurem-B, or Dazzling Gleam is 4x effective, such as Scrafty, Dazzling Gleam will do more, (AC) but otherwise it is better to just use Thunderbolt. Tapu Koko is effective at almost all stages of the game, whether it's keeping Mega Salamence at bay through the early-game (AH) or cleaning up late-game.

Team Options
========

Tapu Koko is very splashable. (no splashable + you reiterate pretty much the entire point in your next sentence) While it Tapu Koko requires some team support, it's a strong standalone Pokemon that fits on many teams. Tapu Koko appreciates teammates that can stop Choice Scarf Landorus-T more than anything else. Wide Guard users like Celesteela, Tailwind users, such as Shaymin-S and Suicune, or and Pokemon that can outright OHKO it, such as bulky Waters Water-types and Kyurem-B are all great options. Pokemon with Ice coverage are good partners, as they can hit every Electric resist Electric-resistant Pokemon or Ground-type (AH) hard, most notably Kyurem-B. (which is neutral to Ice? or do you mean Kyube = Pokemon with Ice coverage? in that case do "with Kyurem-B being a notable option" or something like that) Kyurem-B also benefits from Electric Terrain's boost, allowing it to beeat Celesteela with Fusion Bolt. Tapu Koko's ability to beat bulky Water-types and Flying-types enables the Pokemon they normally wall to use their moves freely, such as Landorus-T, Mega Salamence, and Mega Charizard Y. If using Nature Power, Tapu Fini is a great partner to get access to Moonblast. Tapu Fini additionally takes on Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Hoopa-U for Tapu Koko.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Assault Vest is an excellent item on Tapu Koko thanks to its access to Nature's Madness and Sky Drop, trading power for bulk and utility; this set is niche, however, and neither of those moves are is appealing on Life Orb sets. Electrium Z and Fairium Z are both effective Z-Crystals should you choose to run one; Electrium Z is by far the most ruinous, whereas Fairium Z gives a strong Fairy-type move. On rain teams, Tapu Koko can use Thunder instead, (AC) and it also has access to Rain Dance to support those teams. Tapu Koko can use its base 115 Attack and run a physical or mixed set; however, its physical movepool consists of U-turn and a bunch of recoil moves (Brave Bird and Wild Charge), making its reign of terror short lived. (AH) Focus Sash is a good alternative to the Life Orb set if you're looking to trade a little power for added safety; however, Tyranitar and Alolan Ninetales-A are both common Pokemon in the metagame, so Focus Sash usually isn't the best item. Choice Specs is an option to further increase Tapu Koko's damage output; however, it does not appreciate locking itself into Thunderbolt, as there are a lot of common Pokemon are immune to Electric-type immunities moves, such as Landorus-T and Zygarde.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Pokemon such as Tapu Bulu, Ferrothorn, and Amoonguss can easily switch into Tapu Koko and essentially wall it completely. Tapu Bulu overrides Electric Terrain, whereas Ferrothorn and Amoonguss can threaten Tapu Koko with Gyro Ball and Sludge Bomb respectively.

**Electric-immune Pokemon Immunities**: Pokemon such as Thundurus-T and Alolan Marowak take no damage from Thunderbolt and can threaten back with super effective coverage moves. While most meta Ground-types take massive damage from HP Hidden Power Ice, if they outspeed Tapu Koko they'll usually OHKO it with their STAB attacks, such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Dragon Dance Zygarde.

**Icy Wind and Trick Room**: Tapu Koko relies heavily on its high speed; going last is basically a death sentence for it because of its frailty. Beware of Hoopa-Unbound, who which can both set Trick Room and tear you Tapu Koko apart with Hyperspace Hole should you it dare to Taunt it.

**Bulky Attackers**: Very bulky Pokemon (RC) such as Tyranitar laugh off everything Tapu Koko can throw at it them except for Nature's Madness. (period) Assault Vest Landorus-T can bait Tapu Koko into attacking, live tank a hit, and do massive damage in return, and Hoopa-U can shrug off most hits and threaten it Tapu Koko with either Hyperspace Hole or set up Trick Room.

Last edited:

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
gp 2/2

[OVERVIEW]

Undoubtedly the most punk rock of all Pokemon, Tapu Koko's loud and intense effects on the Doubles OU metagame cannot be ignored: its high Speed stat, Electric typing, and immense power through Electric Surge make it one of the most potent offensive threats around, dropping wicked Thunderbolts onto anything that doesn't resist them. On top of its power boost, Electric Terrain also has great utility, providing a blanket sleep immunity for everything grounded. Tapu Koko's Electric typing additionally makes it one of the premier answers to common Pokemon in the metagame, such as Mega Salamence and Tapu Fini. Unfortunately, Tapu Koko is a rather linear Pokemon, and the good things end here. it is heavily reliant on Electric Terrain and Life Orb for its damage output, as a base 95 Special Attack is pitifully low for an offensive Pokemon. Additionally, its most reliable Fairy-type STAB attack is Dazzling Gleam, which is even weaker when factoring in spread-reduced damage. It Tapu Koko is also incredibly frail, often taking half HP or even more from resisted moves and simply fainting to strong neutral hits. Nonetheless, Tapu Koko is a great addition to offensively oriented teams that need a fast attacker.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Tapu Koko's Thunderbolt is powerful and difficult to switch into with Electric Terrain; this is the move you're probably using the most. Hidden Power Ice allows Tapu Koko to hit non-Choice Scarf Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Salamence much harder than Dazzling Gleam. Dazzling Gleam, while much weaker, gives Tapu Koko a relatively strong spread STAB move that hits Pokemon such as Salamence and Hoopa-U hard. Volt Switch gives Tapu Koko a strong move that can be used to scout switches or get another Pokemon in easily. Alternatively, Taunt stops the opponent foe from setting up, including stat boosting moves and speed control like Tailwind or Trick Room. Protect lets Tapu Koko dodge block powerful attacks headed its way and do all the other wonderful things Protect does, such as stall out field conditions, but you should use it wisely, as it uses up a turn of Electric Terrain. Teams that run both Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini can use a unique set of Nature Power, Volt Switch, Hidden Power Ice, and Protect. Nature Power transforms into Thunderbolt in Electric Terrain and Moonblast in Misty Terrain, thus giving Tapu Koko a strong STAB option in both Terrains. Keep in mind, however, that it can be disabled by Taunt.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed EVs with a Timid nature make use of Tapu Koko's blistering Speed and ensures ensure that it outruns the most Pokemon it can while being able to Speed tie Mega Gengar and opposing Tapu Koko. Maximum Special Attack EVs with a Life Orb boosts boost Tapu Koko's otherwise mediocre Special Attack stat and makes make it hit as hard as possible. If you're using Nature Power, Normalium Z is a pretty swell item that helps Tapu Koko OHKO Tapu Fini with Gigavolt Havoc and Zygarde with Twinkle Tackle, depending on the active Terrain.

Usage Tips
========

Most of the time Tapu Koko will be using Thunderbolt. Because Electric is such a strong typing, many Pokemon will opt not to stay in against it, for fear of taking heavy damage. Typically, switch out if Electric Terrain is gone, (sc->comma) as Tapu Koko is very weak without it. Use Protect when Tapu Koko is immediately threatened, thus letting its Tapu Koko's partner soften up whatever is on the other side to put it into Thunderbolt's KO range. Moves other than Thunderbolt are honestly situational at best. Dazzling Gleam is a good move to use when Tapu Koko or its partner can possibly pick up two KOs or when you're staring down a Hydreigon or Scrafty. Hidden Power Ice snipes down Pokemon 4x weak to Ice, but you won't use it much otherwise. Thunderbolt will almost always do more damage to each target unless it's resisted. If Thunderbolt is resisted and Dazzling Gleam is super effective, such as against Kyurem-B, or Dazzling Gleam is 4x effective, such as against Scrafty, Dazzling Gleam will do more, but otherwise it is better to just use Thunderbolt. Tapu Koko is effective at almost all stages of the game, whether it's keeping Mega Salamence at bay through the early-game or cleaning up late-game.

Team Options
========

While Tapu Koko requires some team support, it's a strong standalone Pokemon that fits on many teams. Tapu Koko appreciates teammates that can stop Choice Scarf Landorus-T more than anything else. Wide Guard users like Celesteela, Tailwind users, such as Shaymin-S and Suicune, and Pokemon that can outright OHKO it, such as bulky Water-types and Kyurem-B, (AC) are all great options. Pokemon with Ice-type coverage are good partners, as they can hit every Electric-resistant Pokemon or Ground-type hard, with Kyurem-B being a notable option. Kyurem-B also benefits from Electric Terrain's boost, allowing it to beeat beat Celesteela with Fusion Bolt. Tapu Koko's ability to beat bulky Water-types and Flying-types enables the Pokemon they normally wall to use their moves freely, such as Landorus-T, Mega Salamence, and Mega Charizard Y. If using Nature Power, Tapu Fini is a great partner to get access to Moonblast. Tapu Fini additionally takes on Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Hoopa-U for Tapu Koko.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Assault Vest is an excellent item on Tapu Koko thanks to its access to Nature's Madness and Sky Drop, trading power for bulk and utility; this set is niche, however, and neither of those moves is appealing on Life Orb sets. Electrium Z and Fairium Z are both effective Z-Crystals should you choose to run one; Electrium Z is by far the most ruinous, whereas Fairium Z gives a Tapu Koko strong Fairy-type move. On rain teams, Tapu Koko can use Thunder instead, and it also has access to Rain Dance to support those teams. Tapu Koko can use its base 115 Attack and run a physical or mixed set; however, its physical movepool consists of U-turn and a bunch of recoil moves (Brave Bird and Wild Charge), making its reign of terror short-lived (AH). Focus Sash is a good alternative to the Life Orb set if you're looking to trade a little power for added safety; however, Tyranitar and Alolan Ninetales are both common Pokemon in the metagame, so Focus Sash usually isn't the best item. Choice Specs is an option to further increase Tapu Koko's damage output; however, it does not appreciate locking itself into Thunderbolt, as a lot of common Pokemon are immune to Electric-type moves, such as Landorus-T and Zygarde.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Pokemon such as Tapu Bulu, Ferrothorn, and Amoonguss can easily switch into Tapu Koko and essentially wall it completely. Tapu Bulu overrides Electric Terrain, whereas Ferrothorn and Amoonguss can threaten Tapu Koko with Gyro Ball and Sludge Bomb, (AC) respectively.

**Electric-immune Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Thundurus-T and Alolan Marowak take no damage from Thunderbolt and can threaten Tapu Koko back with super effective coverage moves. While most Ground-types take massive damage from Hidden Power Ice, if they outspeed Tapu Koko, they'll usually OHKO it with their STAB attacks, such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Dragon Dance Zygarde.

**Icy Wind and Trick Room**: Tapu Koko relies heavily on its high Speed; going last is basically a death sentence for it because of its frailty. Beware of Hoopa-U, which can both set Trick Room and tear Tapu Koko apart with Hyperspace Hole should it Tapu Koko dare to Taunt it.

**Bulky Attackers**: Very bulky Pokemon such as Tyranitar laugh off everything Tapu Koko can throw at them except for Nature's Madness. Assault Vest Landorus-T can bait Tapu Koko into attacking, tank a hit, and do massive damage in return, and Hoopa-U can shrug off most hits and can either threaten Tapu Koko with either Hyperspace Hole or set up Trick Room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)