Tapu Bulu Discussion

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Poison jab will OHKO most non-defensive distributions after rocks though. Granted, it does force Chomp into a less than optimal move but with it being the best reliable coverage Chomp has for 3 of the 4 Tapus I can see it being used more often.
Seeing as Earthquake already hits one of them super effectively, the other two nearly at the same amount as a super effective Poison Jab will (150 w/ STAB versus 160 w/ Super Effective damage), and Garchomp can't afford to risk its moveslots outside of Swords Dance sets (in which case you want substitute or fire fang instead), I don't think Poison Jab becoming a mainstay on Chomp will ever be the case.

Seeing as Grassy Terrain boosts Grass-type moves, with an Attack stat like that, and a STAB Wood Hammer, Bulu is hard to switch into.
Coupled with coverage such as Superpower, Stone Edge and Megahorn, it can be a full on force.
Its HP stat perhaps stops it from carving another niche as a defensive wall, given it has a decent defensive typing, but I can very well see this thing sitting comfortably in UU.

Tapu Bulu + Heatran will be one of my favorite combo in S/M
Yeah, wow they totally take on each others weaknesses! Tapu Bulu switches into Ground, Fighting and Water type moves for days while Heatran takes on Steel, Ice, Flying and especially Fire and Poison (Salazzle get recked). And Tapu weakens Earthquakes a little bit for Heatran (still hurt a lot though) and gives Heatran more passive recovery with any Leech Seeds and of course Grassy Terrain. Great combo man!

Yeah, wow they totally take on each others weaknesses! Tapu Bulu switches into Ground, Fighting and Water type moves for days while Heatran takes on Steel, Ice, Flying and especially Fire and Poison (Salazzle get recked). And Tapu weakens Earthquakes a little bit for Heatran (still hurt a lot though) and gives Heatran more passive recovery with any Leech Seeds and of course Grassy Terrain. Great combo man!
It may hurt a lot but it gives Heatran crazy levels of survivability.

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran in Grassy Terrain: 312-372 (80.8 - 96.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery

(Alright, alright, it's KOed anyways because Chomp is faster, but that's not the point)

If I get interested in a metagame with only official Pokémon (aka most of Smogon), I might use Tapu Bulu on the same team as Torkoal. Sunlight allows Solar Beam to execute immediately, and Grassy Terrain only boosts the Grass-type attack's power. That's going to be fun, whether I play Singles or Doubles.

Pyroak is going to love this combination, and so might Malaconda.

If Bulu had 115 speed, this thing could have been a beastly late game sweeper with Band once it's hard counters are out of the picture and pokes who can live a +2 Wood Hammer are a bit weakened. Entry hazards are one of Buku's best friends.

That being said, 75 speed is very meh but allows Bulu to crush many slower Pokes with it's deadly Wood Hammer. 70/115/95 bulk is quite respectable and has a decent defensive typing with useful resists like Dark and Fighting.

Weakening Ground type moves can easily be huge. It weakens the newly buffed Dugtrio which is definitely going to be a threat and shuts down every other Earthquake user. Considering how many Pokes are weak to ground, instant Grassy terrain can be an extremely valuable asset. Pokes like Alolan Muk will effectively have zero weakness. Heatran survives pretty much every single non STAB earthquake and can survive STAB EQs with investment.
Even less relevant pokemon like Magnezone can use the reduced weakness.

Team building with Bulu can be Tricky though. Not every Pokemon appreciates Grassy Terrain which includes Ground types and Pokemon highly dependent on Earthquake as coverage to prevent them from being pure setup fodder to certain mons.

+2 Wood Hammer does a minimum of 69.5% to max HP/Def Bold Cress which is arguably one of the bulkiest Pokemon in the game. I can see very, very little safely switching into this beast. The fact that even some Pokes who resist Grass get one shotted by Banded Bulu means only bulky x2 grass resists can take a hit, albeit losing a chunk of HP. Even with x4 resist, physical defensive skarm takes 20ish% from Wood Hammer. Specially defensive variants can get 4HKOed. This mon screams Water Spout Specs Kyogre. We all know how insanely powerful that it thing is. Sap Sipper Mons are the only thing that can switch safely into Wood Hammer. Most of which get wrecked by Superpower or take good damage like Phys def Goodra.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Physical focused, Attack being the highest and decent Special Defense bulk. However its Special Attack isn't great so I think you're going to need to give up on a Fairy STAB.

Since Nature's Madness removes 50% of the target's current HP I'm going to consider it a utility, a move for when Koko doesn't have something else that can seriously hurt its opponent (I wouldn't be surprised if many sets exclude it). But it has its choice of Grass STABs: Wood Hammer or Horn Leech. Other attacks are Superpower/Brick Break, Zen Headbutt, Megahorn, Return, Smart Strike (Steel-type Aerial Ace), Brutal Swing/Payback, and Stone Edge/Rock Slide. For utilities it got Grassy Terrain, Mean Look, Leech Seed, Taunt, dual screens, and Swords Dance.

Bulu may not have a Fairy STAB, but it makes up for it in coverage (sure it can't hit Dragon-types super effectively, but they can't hit it with their Dragon STAB so its all fair).

Recovery from Grassy Terrain + Leftovers + Leech Seed on every forced switch seems like a crazy combo this thing could pull off to stay healthy. Isnt that 20~25% HP recovered every turn?

Doesn't it also resist a lot of very common attacking types? I don't really see how this is a bad defensive typing.
Wow, I just realized it has 6 resistances (including Water, Ground, and Dark, which are common attacking types) plus an immunity to Dragon! So I guess Tapu Bulu has a good defensive typing, even though weaknesses to Fire, Flying, and Ice can hurt...

It's probably important to remember that Grass Terrain will heal grounded opponents too. Won't make difference for OHKOs, but Tangrowth, Amoonguss, and Scizor won't be complaining.

It's probably important to remember that Grass Terrain will heal grounded opponents too. Won't make difference for OHKOs, but Tangrowth, Amoonguss, and Scizor won't be complaining.
Fortunately, Fire-types make some of the best teammates for Bulu as he covers most of their weaknesses and weakens EQ for them while lessening the SR weakness with 2 turns of passive healing.

The aforementioned Heatran partners very well, the core resisting every type except Rock and Ghost as I recall. These passive answers to Bulu also offer good setup opportunities for Mega Charizard X...

Ok, real gimmicky here but Secret power has a 30% chance to put an opponent to sleep in Grassy Terrain. This in mind, think of Serene Grace Pokemon. Sawsbuck is a grass normal type, with access to Serene Grace and Secret Power. Gets normal type STAB on Secret Power and has a 60% to put the opponent to sleep. And also has a boosted horn leech in the terrain as well. Other options for this are maybe Meloetta and Chansey and such. But I think a faster physical attacker that can just go for Secret Power after Tapu Bulu has been on the field is really cool (and gimmicky). Also, sleep clause is a rule for using a move like Spore on more than one Pokemon. With this, you can potentially "accidentally" put to sleep more than one, since it's an attacking move with a secondary effect of sleep.

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb / Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Secret Power
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Double Edge

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can't see this thing being that bad. Considering LO SD 2HKOs SDef Skarmory with fucking Wood Hammer, it's pretty strong. I can see this thing being used with Choice Band for the extra power, with LO since its recoil would be mitigated by Grassy Terrain, or with AV since it gets a natural extra leftovers as well as decent defensive typing and access to Horn Leech. I really thing people are underrating how good this will be, but only time will tell.

Also it's one on the better Landorus-T checks in the game, making it an awesome partner for just about every physical attacker.

I am so excited for this mon! While I think tapu lele will be the "best" out of the tapus, I feel like tapu bulu will be a close second. The reason that I was skeptical about this thing's viability was because it is a physical grass type that is slow and has no good secondary STAB options. The only other good physical grass type that I can call to mind is breloom but that has spore and a strong priority Mach punch. But this is insane. Grassy terrained wood hammer plus a boosting item (choice band/life orb) absolutely destroys switchins. Plus it has good natural bulk. I mean, the reasons keldeo and latios are so good are because of the defensive utility that they provide ALONGSIDE their strong offensive presence. I honestly think this will be top tier and a staple wallbreaker on volt-turn teams.

Offensive Tank

Tapu Bulu@Choice Band
Adamant; 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe
Grassy Surge

Wood Hammer
Superpower
Stone Edge
Zen Headbutt / Megahorn

Probably its best offensive set. It runs enough speed to outrun Jolly Tyranitar and pokemon seeking to outdo that benchmark; Jolly is an option if outrunning Bisharp and Breloom is important to you. Wood Hammer carries obscene power, such as the following, with coverage for select pokemon. At the end of the day, it really only fails in OU against the likes of Mega Scizor and various bulky grasses. Note that Amoonguss is 2HKOd even accounting for Regenerator. The same is true for Tangrowth if you've opted for Megahorn.
  • -1 252+ Atk Choice Band Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T in Grassy Terrain: 252-297 (65.9 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios in Grassy Terrain: 290-342 (96.9 - 114.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias in Grassy Terrain: 264-311 (82.7 - 97.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Abomasnow Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 290-342 (82.3 - 97.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Abomasnow Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 410-484 (106.2 - 125.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar in Grassy Terrain: 365-430 (140.9 - 166%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi in Grassy Terrain: 242-285 (59.9 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Abomasnow Megahorn vs. 244 HP / 216+ Def Tangrowth: 272-322 (67.6 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Abomasnow Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Amoonguss: 284-336 (65.8 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Black Sludge recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Abomasnow Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Mega Venusaur: 204-240 (56.1 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T in Grassy Terrain: 324-382 (100.3 - 118.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Metagross in Grassy Terrain: 169-200 (56.1 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery

Tapu Bulu@Assault Vest
Adamant; 252 HP / 24 Atk / 144 SpD / 88 Spe
Grassy Surge

Horn Leech
Superpower
Stone Edge
Nature's Madness

An AV set is also viable, taking advantage of Tapu's defensive characteristics and the passive healing provided by Grassy Terrain. I've opted for enough speed to outrun SpD Heatran on this set with maximum HP with enough power to OHKO Manaphy. Zen Headbutt retains the chance to 2HKO offensive Mega Venu and Amoonguss, but I think Nature's Madness is a better choice on this set as it achieves similar damage but has the added benefit of hitting resistances that would otherwise have been KO'd by wood hammer.
  • 252 SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 144 SpD Assault Vest Abomasnow: 218-258 (63.3 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 252 HP / 144 SpD Assault Vest Abomasnow: 108-128 (31.3 - 37.2%) -- 81% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 144 SpD Assault Vest Abomasnow: 130-153 (37.7 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery
  • +2 252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 144 SpD Assault Vest Abomasnow: 154-182 (44.7 - 52.9%) -- 85.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery
  • +3 252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 144 SpD Assault Vest Abomasnow: 246-290 (71.5 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery
  • 252+ SpA Volcanion Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 144 SpD Assault Vest Abomasnow: 260-308 (75.5 - 89.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 144 SpD Assault Vest Abomasnow: 136-162 (39.5 - 47%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery

What does Play Rough even hit that Bulu doesn't already nuke with its other moves anyway?
Just gonna leave this here:

252+ Atk Choice Band Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tangrowth in Grassy Terrain: 199-234 (49.2 - 57.9%) -- 59.8% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Abomasnow Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tangrowth: 199-235 (49.2 - 58.1%) -- 62.9% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Yes, this even accounts for STAB on Play Rough...

That being said, being able to kill Dnite, Latias (already OHKO's Latios lmao), Guzzlord even, woulda been neat. But realistically, slapping a band and clicking Wood Hammer is usually just as effective.

What does Play Rough even hit that Bulu doesn't already nuke with its other moves anyway?
I've been racking my brain for an answer to this question... And I think you're right. Anything that you want to OHKO with a fairy move can be hit with with a coverage move. Even with a band, it wouldn't be able to OHKO an uninvested Multiscale DNite with Play Rough, so using Stone Edge is fine. With Life Orb, Megahorn OHKOs the Latis and Hydreigon. I guess it'd be nice for some neutral hits but really it's coverage will patch whatever holes your team has. I'm predicting Tapu Bulu is going to be one of those things that can really fit on any team, sans the EQ nerf.

I think it'll be super good, and probably the 'Mon I look the most forward to this generation :) I think the fact that Grassy Terrain heals both sides is kinda being overlooked though (although it likely isn't a huge deal), because it doesn't really get your team much net HP vs the opposing team, you know? And a defensive set would be cool with Lefties, Grassy Terrain, and Leech Seed, but again its kinda shitty that Leech Seed damage is kinda "blocked" by the Grassy Terrain. But still seems super insane, like I said, and I hope to use this as a basis for a handful of teams :)

MegaZard X comes to mind as a threat. Its a real shame that Grassy Terrain lowers your own EQ damage, because Duggy seems like an insane partner for this guy as well. Unless... I (potentially) have a solution...

*puts sunglasses on*

Air Balloon Dugtrio

On a realistic note, does that actually work? It isn't technically touching the ground, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)