VGC 2024 Regulation G Metagame Discussion

Got bored so I made a Terapagos team.

Terapagos I feel will be a strong anti meta Pokemon. In a meta dominated by weather and terrains, being able to turn all of them off could be a game changer. A lot of people are turned off by Terapagos, as it doesn't have the immediate power of other restricted Pokemon, and it's unlikely to get too many chances to set up. My set attempts to rectify this - Meteor Beam lets set up and attack in one turn. Rock Polish lets it outrun +1 Gouging Fire with 100 Speed. 172 in Defence lets it take a +1 Close Combat from Adamant Zacian in its Stellar form, with the rest in SpA for more power. Zacian is very straightforward - hit stuff hard. Speed EVs let it creep 135s, with max attack and the rest in bulk. Chi Yu checks Zacian, both Calyrexes, Solgaleo and Dusk Mane Necrozma. It also powers up Terapagos with its ability. Dark Pulse and Flamethrower are solid STABs, Snarl weakens special attackers, Ruination lets it chip anything. Speed EVs let it creep my +2 Terapagos, letting it get off a Snarl or Ruination before Terapagos attacks. Smeargle is there to help my other heavy hitters, with Fake Out helping set up (or just getting some chip), Follow Me keeping them safe from single target moves and Wide Guard helping them out with spread moves. Landorus-T is used as my intimidator, since I have Chi Yu I didn't want to use Incineroar. It also beats opposing Incineroar and helps out a lot in the Miraidon matchup, which could be tricky. The EVs let it survive a Life Orb Draco Meteor from Modest Miraidon in Electric Terrain, with the rest in Attack for bulk and enough Speed to outrun Scarf Kyogre in Tailwind. Lastly, Whimsicott's there for Speed control. Fake Tears and Tickle help set up opponents to be KOd. EVs let it outrun max speed Timid Tornadus so it can set up Tailwind before being Taunted. I wanted Pokemon that didn't need to Tera since Terapagos is a tera hog.

the single restricteds metagame in SV looks like the most fun iteration of it, with so much variance with tera and all of the other things making sv great in VGC, I can never see myself not having fun. The restricteds I have my eye on are mainly calyrex-shadow rider, zacian, and calyrex-ice rider, and the new bikes miraidon and koraidon.

now calyrex-shadow rider is one of if not the strongest pokemon in the game, spread 120 base power STAB is still ridiculous amounts of power coming from 1 pokemon and will probably be the defining mon of the hyper offense teams, especially when paired with something like chi-yu which can boost its damage output even more

zacian-crowned is still a good pokemon despite the nerf, and in my eyes fits the best on balancy teams akin to something like the charlotte winning team, it being a great defensive peice with good natural bulk and excellent typing means it can pivot around easy and the ability nerf doesnt seem to hurt it too too much if your running a swords dance set and have the ability to allow it to setup.

calyrex-ice rider is largely the same as shadow rider, it outputs large amounts of burst damage with glacial lance, and is just overall extremely strong especially if its holding an item like the clear amulet to stop intimidates. with terastalization it can shed the ice typing and become something like a water or fire type to allow it to stick around longer, especially on trick room teams.

with miraidon, it finally seems to make electric terrain actually usable without tapu-koko, iron bundle will likely be a very strong partner with it, able to threaten the ground types miraidon severely dislikes due to the natural type disadvantage.

with koraidon it provides a excellent sun setter, and seems in my eyes superior to groudon for offensive sun teams. it provides high amounts of damage with sun boosted collision course, and it can run sets with say tera fire to shed its 4x weakness to fairy for a resistance, which also combos nicely with flare blitz on koraidon. plus it can combo with flutter mane, which can provide icy wind support slowing down anything that tries to be faster than koraidon so koraidon can pick it off easier

as for non restricteds, I think there will be a spike in incineroar usage but not to the same levels as gen 7 or 8 vgc. sure it will be good, but the existance of koraidon really hinders it with its fighting weakness, especially with koraidon able to hold a clear amulet. for intimidate mons, I think landorus-therian will make a big return, as its ability to hit the new bikes miraidon and koraidon with strong ground STAB (stomping tantrum) and strong flying STAB with tera flying blast means that neither is safe. the only place it may struggle is against calyrex ice rider, but incineroar excels in that situation. teams may end up running both at the same time simply for how many matchups they can cover.

I had some early meta ideas, like a koraidon sun team https://pokepast.es/6ea02d5fddda7534, a zacian balance team, https://pokepast.es/42935c9848134a4e, and a calyrex-shadow offense team https://pokepast.es/05fb1d3aa5b2176e

Two different teams, first with Urshifu and the other with Ogerpon.

https://pokepast.es/19b08a257d896d6c

https://pokepast.es/1298dc5ce80cb9d4
Word on the street is that Kyogre is finished (or at least not as viable). There are lots of really good pokemon which have really strong matchups into Kyogre which have been released in gen 9, such as raging bolt, miraidon, ogerpon-W, Koraidon, terapagos. Most notably these pokemon are good regardless of whether you bring Kyogre, which can't be said for some previous checks such as Gastrodon - do you think Kyogre is finished?

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/ac2eabf7c7b1b441

Here is my Kyogre team. I made one with Wake, but this team is focused around Kyogre+ My Steel type of choice, Metagross. I didn't flesh the team out yet.
Kyogre probably wont be too great in a restricted format, new checks have arrived with koraidon mainly being able to shut down its weather and resisting kyogres only STAB, and ogerpon wellspring being immune to kyogres attacks, and raging bolt also resisting it.

raging bolt and rillaboom alone will probably decrease the ammount of kyogre thats around, sure it has ice beam but both these mons are fairly tanky and can usually live a non STAB ice beam.

lets look at rillaboom, grassy glide just does a ton to kyogre, 116+ Atk Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyogre in Grassy Terrain: 132-156 (75.4 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

and with raging bolt, 100+ SpA Raging Bolt Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyogre: 120-144 (68.5 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

these 2 mons are already very popular and have a large part of the reg f metagame under control, i have no doubt theyll see play in restricted formats and that kyogre wont be that good.

I know this team looks terrible on paper, but trust me when I say it kinda cooks. The main idea is that you have Eject Pack Smeargle next to either Lunala or Gholdengo. You do whatever you want with Smeargle(Usually Fake Out or Follow Me, Spore and Protect are just kinda there to fill out the moveset a little bit), and you can set up with Lunala(Power Herb Meteor Beam shenanigans) or Gholdengo(Nasty Plot) depending on the matchup usually. Then either Smeargle gets KO’d or Eject Pack activates, sending in Tornadus. From here it’s very simple, try and get as many kills as you can under Tailwind. Your last slot is kinda random, its probably gonna be either Urshifu Rapid Strike or Incineroar most of the time but you do have your other Tailwind set up sweeper of choice available as well.

And if the set up Tailwind mode isn’t great, don’t worry. You can also go for a more traditional Tailwind mode with Tornadus, Incineroar, and Urshifu as a core. Then either Lunala or Gholdengo in the back(Incin kinda does Smeargle’s job if you wanna try out this mode of the team, so bringing Smeargle here is kind of worthless)

Here‘s the team itself if you want to try it out:

Lunala @ Power Herb
Ability: Shadow Shield
Level: 50
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 30 HP / 35 Def / 156 SpA / 35 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Meteor Beam
- Moongeist Beam
- Psychic
- Protect

Tornadus @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 50 HP / 100 Def / 86 SpA / 20 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Taunt
- Bleakwind Storm
- Protect

Incineroar @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Stellar
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot

Smeargle @ Eject Pack
Ability: Moody
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 HP / 141 Def / 111 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Follow Me
- Spore
- Protect

Gholdengo @ Metal Coat
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 18 HP / 76 Def / 86 SpA / 76 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Protect

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Unseen Fist
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Spinner

Feel free to point out any issues there are with the team, specifically with the EV spreads which aren't good at all tbh.
This team actually isn't a bad comp and is used in one of the sample teams. https://pokepast.es/56ef829a01072c3a If you try to incorporate this sample team into this team (especially the EVs) I think this will be a very viable cookie cutter team that demands respect and has a lot of power.

Kyogre probably wont be too great in a restricted format, new checks have arrived with koraidon mainly being able to shut down its weather and resisting kyogres only STAB, and ogerpon wellspring being immune to kyogres attacks, and raging bolt also resisting it.

raging bolt and rillaboom alone will probably decrease the ammount of kyogre thats around, sure it has ice beam but both these mons are fairly tanky and can usually live a non STAB ice beam.

lets look at rillaboom, grassy glide just does a ton to kyogre, 116+ Atk Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyogre in Grassy Terrain: 132-156 (75.4 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

and with raging bolt, 100+ SpA Raging Bolt Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyogre: 120-144 (68.5 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

these 2 mons are already very popular and have a large part of the reg f metagame under control, i have no doubt theyll see play in restricted formats and that kyogre wont be that good.
I would never say that the existence of checks makes a mon bad, especially in a metagame with tera. If Kyogre runs tera grass then standard Ogre checks like Ogerpon-W, Raging Bolt, non u-turn variants of Rilla, and even Amoonguss (assuming it's not running something like sludge bomb) won't be as strong of checks to it anymore. In the case of Rilla and Ogerpon, Kyogre teams can also utilize intimidate to decrease their offensive pressure and keep Ogre healthy. In the case of Koraidon and even Groudon, removing rain by setting up sun is one of the best ways to hinder Ogre but Ogre can be used in the same way to remove Koraidon's sun and with it a lot of its offensive pressure. So while these mons are decent checks to Kyogre at team preview, their existence on a team doesn't mean that the team auto-wins against Ogre teams, and players will still need to play smart and manage their resources well if they don't want Ogre to take 2-3 knockouts in a game.

I feel like even with all the new threats Kyogre is still an A tier mon, that's just how powerful a strong water type that auto sets rain is. And of course having water spout only makes it scarier, and if players don't feel like running a defensive tera on Ogre then they can opt for tera water. And tera water water spout in rain is capable of 2hkoing mons that resist it, preventing some of these checks from switching in safely.
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 244 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Raging Bolt in Rain: 117-138 (50.6 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Rillaboom in Rain: 130-154 (62.8 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
Not respecting Kyogre because you have a check to it just doesn't feel like a good idea to me, but that's just my opinion.

I would never say that the existence of checks makes a mon bad, especially in a metagame with tera. If Kyogre runs tera grass then standard Ogre checks like Ogerpon-W, Raging Bolt, non u-turn variants of Rilla, and even Amoonguss (assuming it's not running something like sludge bomb) won't be as strong of checks to it anymore. In the case of Rilla and Ogerpon, Kyogre teams can also utilize intimidate to decrease their offensive pressure and keep Ogre healthy. In the case of Koraidon and even Groudon, removing rain by setting up sun is one of the best ways to hinder Ogre but Ogre can be used in the same way to remove Koraidon's sun and with it a lot of its offensive pressure. So while these mons are decent checks to Kyogre at team preview, their existence on a team doesn't mean that the team auto-wins against Ogre teams, and players will still need to play smart and manage their resources well if they don't want Ogre to take 2-3 knockouts in a game.

I feel like even with all the new threats Kyogre is still an A tier mon, that's just how powerful a strong water type that auto sets rain is. And of course having water spout only makes it scarier, and if players don't feel like running a defensive tera on Ogre then they can opt for tera water. And tera water water spout in rain is capable of 2hkoing mons that resist it, preventing some of these checks from switching in safely.
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 244 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Raging Bolt in Rain: 117-138 (50.6 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Rillaboom in Rain: 130-154 (62.8 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
Not respecting Kyogre because you have a check to it just doesn't feel like a good idea to me, but that's just my opinion.
Not to mention, it’s also got some great new teammates too. Farigiraf can block priority moves, Sinistcha can keep it healthy and redirect, Iron Bundle can handle the Dragons and provide speed control, Gouging Fire can debuff enemies and blast Grasses.

Yeah Kyogre is not bad now. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not as good as it was, but it’s still a threat that demands respect.

Choruto

Sylveon <3
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Not sure how dominant Kyogre will be as theres other strong rain abusers in Urshifu/Torn, though that might also enhance the strenght of Kyogre with strong teamates.

But ye, counters existing doesen't invalidate a mon. Its a doubles game after all, I can list tons of examples of mons with pretty obvious counters (Ex Flutter Mane against Urshifu or Heatran against Flutter Mane) and them still being dominant. I mean with Wogerpon, its not even rly a counter, as demonstrated with Urshifu-R. You can U-Turn out, or let Tornadus/Lando handle it.

Not sure how dominant Kyogre will be as theres other strong rain abusers in Urshifu/Torn, though that might also enhance the strenght of Kyogre with strong teamates.

But ye, counters existing doesen't invalidate a mon. Its a doubles game after all, I can list tons of examples of mons with pretty obvious counters (Ex Flutter Mane against Urshifu or Heatran against Flutter Mane) and them still being dominant. I mean with Wogerpon, its not even rly a counter, as demonstrated with Urshifu-R. You can U-Turn out, or let Tornadus/Lando handle it.
Yeah I was trying to get at kyogre not being as good or as dominant with the ammount of things that we have access to now with mons like raging bolt that can threaten it, kyogre teams will probably adapt to the new threats.

I've played a little bit of single restricted so I'd thought I'd give a viability ranking to the most relevant the restricted Pokemon:
A+: Miraidon :Miraidon:, Calyrex-S :Calyrex-Shadow:
A: Lunala :Lunala:, Terapagos :Terapagos-Terastal:, Groudon :Groudon:
A-: Koraidon :Koraidon:, Zacian :Zacian-Crowned:
B: Kyogre :Kyogre:, Rayquaza :Rayquaza:, Calyrex-I :Calyrex-Ice:
C: Kyurem-White :Kyurem-White:, Necrozma-DM :Necrozma-Dusk-Mane:, Zamazenta :Zamazenta-Crowned:
Here are my thoughts on why:
Miraidon :miraidon: has excellent base stats, an an ability that powers up it's electric type moves and special attack giving it incredible damage output, and solid Electric-Dragon typing. Miraidon :miraidon: get's strong moves like Draco Meteor and Electro Drift and and should be able to consistently keep electric terrain up with Volt Switch. Miraidon :miraidon: is not S tier as although it does activate Quark Drive which could lead to some interesting compositions, there are few Quark Drive Pokemon that are established to be competitively strong. Iron Bundle :iron bundle: could become strong again, as it freed up to run Focus Sash, however lacks a consistent water type move, while Freeze Dry is rather weak. Iron Hands :iron hands: has not been as popular since Incineroar :incineroar: came back and as Raging Bolt :raging bolt: fills a similar role but is almost strictly stronger (while Miraidon :miraidon: is strictly stronger than Raging Bolt), relegating it to a more niche clear amulet Trick Room sweeper. Iron Jugulis :iron jugulis: is the only other notable Quark Drive Pokemon, and although it's usage has been more niche, it would provide good support with Tailwind and Snarl. Miraidon :miraidon: will likely battle for the terrain with AV Rillaboom :rillaboom:, which could limit it's effectiveness, while it also has a very poor matchup into Ting-Lu :ting-lu:. Additionally, Miraidon :miraidon: is a restricted without access to a strong spread move (parabolic charge lol), which should limit how centralising it is.
Calyrex-S :calyrex-shadow: is very fast and hits very hard with base 165 special attack and 150 speed. Access to two strong spread moves in Astral Barrage and Expanding Force, and an ability that increases it's special attack once it takes KOs makes it one of the most menacing sweepers in the game. Calyrex-S has a diverse move pool, with access to Nasty Plot, Will-O-Wisp, Substitute and Taunt. Calyrex-S :calyrex-shadow: is a great utiliser or Terastalation, allowing it to shake off it's 4x weaknesses to Ghost and Dark, as well as gain access to coverage to much needed coverage such as Tera Water Tera Blast or Tera Fairy Tera Blast, allowing it to hit dark types that resist it's STAB, such as Incineroar :incineroar: and Urshifu-S :urshifu:. Calyrex-S :calyrex-shadow: is not S tier as it's below average bulk (for a restricted) means if it cannot threaten to KO a Pokemon, such as on bulky AV users like Rillaboom :rillaboom:, dark or normal types like Incineroar :incineroar:, Porygon2 :porygon2:, Terapagos :terapagos-terastal: and Ting-Lu :ting-lu:, or other restricted Pokemon it can often be KOd through a double up or a supereffective attack. It also struggles in situations where it does not have speed control, such as against Speed Boosted Booster Energy Pokemon like Flutter Mane :flutter mane:, or Trick Room teams. Although Calyrex-S :calyrex-shadow: has the tools to shut down a lot of it's checks, such as Taunt to stop Trick Room or coverage moves to get around it's poorer STAB combination, it can only learn 4 moves, so teams with multiple Calyrex-S :calyrex-shadow: checks will have a fair game against it.
Lunala's :lunala: Shadow Shield along with it's fantastic base 137 HP makes it one of the bulkiest restricted Pokemon out there. It has a fantastic supportive move pool, it's access to both Trick Room and Tailwind turns it's meagre base 97 speed into a strength as it allows flexible use of speed control, but most uniquely it has access to Wide Guard, which helps Lunala :lunala: get more positive matchups into restricted Pokemon like Groudon :groudon:, Kyogre :kyogre: and Calyrex-I :calyrex-ice:. Lunala's :lunala: base 137 special attack along with good STAB in Moongeist Beam allow it to hit hard, and is able to OHKO the most common dark type Incineroar :incineroar: with Meteor Beam, though it can struggle against other dark types, such as Ting-Lu :ting-lu: and Urshifu :urshifu: (albeit it is able to reduce the offensive pressure of these Pokemon with Tera Fairy). Lunala :lunala: has an odd matchup against Calyrex-S :calyrex-shadow:, as Wide Guard prevents Astral Barrage from KOing when Shadow Shield is not active, but also means Lunala :lunala: cannot touch Calyrex-S :calyrex-shadow:. Lunala :lunala: has a very bad matchup agaisnt Terapagos :terapagos-terastal: as it cannot touch it with Moongeist Beam, while Terapagos :terapagos-terastal: can alternate Protects to avoid taking damage from Meteor Beam. Lunala :lunala: can also struggle against other normal types, such as Porygon2 :porygon2:.
Terapagos :terapagos-terastal: abillity Tera Shell, and it's solid defences make it one of the bulkiest Pokemon in the game, especially when it's paired with leftovers. Terapagos :terapagos-terastal: has a poor supportive move pool, but does get access to Calm Mind which pairs well with it's good staying power to allow it to function as a set-up sweeper, especially when paired with supportive options like Incineroar :incineroar: and Amoonguss :amoonguss:. Terapagos :terapagos-terastal: is forced to Tera Stellar, which give it less flexibility, but it does cause Terapagos :terapagos-terastal: into Terapagos-Stellar :terapagos-stellar:, which increases it's base Special Attack to 130 and it's base HP from 95 to 160. Additionally, it's signature move Tera Starstorm turns into a spread move, and it's new ability Teraform Zero turns off weather and terrain, such as Kyogre's :kyogre: rain, Groudon :groudon: or Koriadon's :koraidon: sun, or Miraidon's :miraidon: Electric Terrain. Although Terapagos :terapagos-terastal: has a poor supportive move pool, it has access to a wide range of coverage moves, such as Earth Power and Ice Beam. Terapagos' biggest weakness is it's inability to use a defensive Tera, which can put it in awkward pins against Urshifu :Urshifu: and other fighting types such as Koraidon :Koraidon:.
Groudon's :groudon: Drought has been indirectly buffed massively this gen, with powerful and proven Photosynthesis Pokemon, such as Flutter Mane :flutter mane:, Roaring Moon :roaring moon: and Raging Bolt :raging bolt: receiving boosts when sun is up. This combined with Groudon's :groudon: excellent base 150 attack and access to a good spread move in Precipice Blades, along with it's great bulk make Groudon :groudon: an excellent bulky attacker. Stronger sun abusers is not the only indirect buff Groudon :groudon: has received, as it can now hold Clear Amulet to stop Intimidate and other attack drops, which can make Groudon :groudon: difficult to slow down or pivot around. Additionally, Groudon's :groudon: can consistently set up with Swords Dance or Bulk Up when paired with Fake Out users such as Incineroar :incineroar: and Rillaboom :rillaboom:. Similarly to sun in reg F, Groudon :groudon: can inadvertently power up opposing Protosynthesis pokemon, such as Choice Specs Flutter Mane :flutter mane:. It can also struggle against Kyogre :kyogre:, as it is unable to safely switch in to override the rain without potentially taking a Water Spout or Origin Pulse for around half it's health, although this drawback is diminished due to the synergy Groudon has with Raging Bolt :raging bolt:.
haven't written about the others yet :\

Last edited:
Agree with A+, Miraidon and Shadowrex are going to be very good, splashable powerful threats.
For A, I think I would move Lunala down in single restricted, since it's better at supporting its team than being a threat itself. I would also move Groudon up, in addition to hitting like a truck and taking physical hits all day, it also supports all the Protosynthesis mons. If you're worried about Intimidate, just give it a Clear Amulet.
A- - both of those mons can move up. Zacian deserves A+, incredibly fast, hits like a truck, arguably the best defensive typing in the game (no slouch offensively either. While Groudon is usually the better sun setter, Koraidon's far superior speed and higher immediate power gives it a niche. A rank.
No way is Kyogre B, that thing is A- at worst. Yes it has more checks now, but that's what you have 5 other teamslots for. Tornadus shreds most of the Grass types that trouble it (Rilla and Ogerpon-W are cleanly 2HKOed by Bleakwind Storm), Assault Vest Landorus-T smacks most of the Electrics that give it trouble, and it can always flip the script on them by running Tera Grass. Rayquaza I could see being a strong Swords Dance Tera Normal E-speeder in a similar vein to Dragonite (Choice Band could also work), and turning off all weather in a meta dominated by it is a good niche. Not sure if that's enough to warrant a rise though. Calyrex-I deserves to rise too, its lower speed and higher damage output make it deadlier in Trick Room than Lunala.
No arguments with C, though you could add Reshiram. Solgaleo could also fit in C, since countering Zacian-C is certainly a good niche and unlike Necrozma-DM it's immune to Intimidate, letting you run other items.

Agree with A+, Miraidon and Shadowrex are going to be very good, splashable powerful threats.
For A, I think I would move Lunala down in single restricted, since it's better at supporting its team than being a threat itself. I would also move Groudon up, in addition to hitting like a truck and taking physical hits all day, it also supports all the Protosynthesis mons. If you're worried about Intimidate, just give it a Clear Amulet.
A- - both of those mons can move up. Zacian deserves A+, incredibly fast, hits like a truck, arguably the best defensive typing in the game (no slouch offensively either. While Groudon is usually the better sun setter, Koraidon's far superior speed and higher immediate power gives it a niche. A rank.
No way is Kyogre B, that thing is A- at worst. Yes it has more checks now, but that's what you have 5 other teamslots for. Tornadus shreds most of the Grass types that trouble it (Rilla and Ogerpon-W are cleanly 2HKOed by Bleakwind Storm), Assault Vest Landorus-T smacks most of the Electrics that give it trouble, and it can always flip the script on them by running Tera Grass. Rayquaza I could see being a strong Swords Dance Tera Normal E-speeder in a similar vein to Dragonite (Choice Band could also work), and turning off all weather in a meta dominated by it is a good niche. Not sure if that's enough to warrant a rise though. Calyrex-I deserves to rise too, its lower speed and higher damage output make it deadlier in Trick Room than Lunala.
No arguments with C, though you could add Reshiram. Solgaleo could also fit in C, since countering Zacian-C is certainly a good niche and unlike Necrozma-DM it's immune to Intimidate, letting you run other items.
Lunala is the main pokemon I've been using in my bo3 sets on a tailroom kinda comp, the speed control it provides feels so flexible, and at +1 it hits harder than alot of other restricted pokemon. It has pretty decent matchups into alot of other restricteds (other than terapagos) which lead to me ranking to pretty high.
My biggest concern for Groudon atm is its protosynthesis interaction, although you power up your own protosythesis mons you also power up the opponent's - this is reg f sun teams biggest issue, as although they are bringing 2 protosynthesis pokemon their opponent is usually bringing 1/2 also, so you dont gain that much. Ofc groudon is a better sun setter than torkoal, but I still worry about how teams of that comp can handle something like specs flutter mane.
I'm not buying the hype for Zacian too much, especially with the matchup Tera Ghost Incineroar has into it. I'm interested whether it will pick up on gouging fire composions though, and honestly I have not played lots of games against it so the jury is still out against it for now for me.
We have spoken about Kyogre alot above, my premise for marking it so low is that S/V has introduced a lot of good checks against it, which are good regardless of whether you bring Kyogre or not. I'm sure Kyogre teams will adapt to this, running stuff like tera grass kyogre, Landorus and tornadus to try and deal with the checks, tho this feels reactionary anit-meta teambuilding and could rely on you getting your leads correct in order to have good winning chances.
Calyrex-I is probably the mon I have disrespected most on the list, lunala has a pretty comfortable matchup into it so it's never felt incredibly strong when I have played against it. Ice stab is excellent and it gets hh to OHKO incin iirc. I suppose my biggest concern for calyrex is that if it can't get trick room up it's pretty useless. If it can get trick room up it can be very strong, tho still cant properly threaten some physcially bulky pokemon like urshifu or Ursaluna-BM that would make it truely dominating in trick room, and unlike other trick room teams i dont see it running psychic terrain or armour tail so it is much easier to stall the trick room.

I've played a little bit of single restricted so I'd thought I'd give a viability ranking to the most relevant the restricted Pokemon:
C: Kyurem-White :Kyurem-White:, Necrozma-DM :Necrozma-Dusk-Mane:, Zamazenta :Zamazenta-Crowned:
Miraidon :miraidon: has excellent base stats, an an ability that powers up it's electric type moves and special attack giving it incredible damage output, and solid Electric-Dragon typing. Miraidon :miraidon: get's strong moves like Draco Meteor and Electro Drift and and should be able to consistently keep electric terrain up with Volt Switch. Miraidon :miraidon: is not S tier as although it does activate Quark Drive which could lead to some interesting compositions, there are few Quark Drive Pokemon that are established to be competitively strong. Iron Bundle :iron bundle: could become strong again, as it freed up to run Focus Sash, however lacks a consistent water type move, while Freeze Dry is rather weak. Iron Hands :iron hands: has not been as popular since Incineroar :incineroar: came back and as Raging Bolt :raging bolt: fills a similar role but is almost strictly stronger (while Miraidon :miraidon: is strictly stronger than Raging Bolt), relegating it to a more niche clear amulet Trick Room sweeper. Iron Jugulis :iron jugulis: is the only other notable Quark Drive Pokemon, and although it's usage has been more niche, it would provide good support with Tailwind and Snarl. Miraidon :miraidon: will likely battle for the terrain with AV Rillaboom :rillaboom:, which could limit it's effectiveness, while it also has a very poor matchup into Ting-Lu :ting-lu:. Additionally, Miraidon :miraidon: is a restricted without access to a strong spread move (parabolic charge lol), which should limit how centralising it is.
Calyrex-S :calyrex-shadow: is very fast and hits very hard with base 165 special attack and 150 speed. Access to two strong spread moves in Astral Barrage and Expanding Force, and an ability that increases it's special attack once it takes KOs makes it one of the most menacing sweepers in the game. Calyrex-S has a diverse move pool, with access to Nasty Plot, Will-O-Wisp, Substitute and Taunt. Calyrex-S :calyrex-shadow: is a great utiliser or Terastalation, allowing it to shake off it's 4x weaknesses to Ghost and Dark, as well as gain access to coverage to much needed coverage such as Tera Water Tera Blast or Tera Fairy Tera Blast, allowing it to hit dark types that resist it's STAB, such as Incineroar :incineroar: and Urshifu-S :urshifu:. Calyrex-S :calyrex-shadow: is not S tier as it's below average bulk (for a restricted) means if it cannot threaten to KO a Pokemon, such as on bulky AV users like Rillaboom :rillaboom:, dark or normal types like Incineroar :incineroar:, Porygon2 :porygon2:, Terapagos :terapagos-terastal: and Ting-Lu :ting-lu:, or other restricted Pokemon it can often be KOd through a double up or a supereffective attack. It also struggles in situations where it does not have speed control, such as against Speed Boosted Booster Energy Pokemon like Flutter Mane :flutter mane:, or Trick Room teams. Although Calyrex-S :calyrex-shadow: has the tools to shut down a lot of it's checks, such as Taunt to stop Trick Room or coverage moves to get around it's poorer STAB combination, it can only learn 4 moves, so teams with multiple Calyrex-S :calyrex-shadow: checks will have a fair game against it.
Lunala's :lunala: Shadow Shield along with it's fantastic base 137 HP makes it one of the bulkiest restricted Pokemon out there. It has a fantastic supportive move pool, it's access to both Trick Room and Tailwind turns it's meagre base 97 speed into a strength as it allows flexible use of speed control, but most uniquely it has access to Wide Guard, which helps Lunala :lunala: get more positive matchups into restricted Pokemon like Groudon :groudon:, Kyogre :kyogre: and Calyrex-I :calyrex-ice:. Lunala's :lunala: base 137 special attack along with good STAB in Moongeist Beam allow it to hit hard, and is able to OHKO the most common dark type Incineroar :incineroar: with Meteor Beam, though it can struggle against other dark types, such as Ting-Lu :ting-lu: and Urshifu :urshifu: (albeit it is able to reduce the offensive pressure of these Pokemon with Tera Fairy). Lunala :lunala: has an odd matchup against Calyrex-S :calyrex-shadow:, as Wide Guard prevents Astral Barrage from KOing when Shadow Shield is not active, but also means Lunala :lunala: cannot touch Calyrex-S :calyrex-shadow:. Lunala :lunala: has a very bad matchup agaisnt Terapagos :terapagos-terastal: as it cannot touch it with Moongeist Beam, while Terapagos :terapagos-terastal: can alternate Protects to avoid taking damage from Meteor Beam. Lunala :lunala: can also struggle against other normal types, such as Porygon2 :porygon2:.
Terapagos :terapagos-terastal: abillity Tera Shell, and it's solid defences make it one of the bulkiest Pokemon in the game, especially when it's paired with leftovers. Terapagos :terapagos-terastal: has a poor supportive move pool, but does get access to Calm Mind which pairs well with it's good staying power to allow it to function as a set-up sweeper, especially when paired with supportive options like Incineroar :incineroar: and Amoonguss :amoonguss:. Terapagos :terapagos-terastal: is forced to Tera Stellar, which give it less flexibility, but it does cause Terapagos :terapagos-terastal: into Terapagos-Stellar :terapagos-stellar:, which increases it's base Special Attack to 130 and it's base HP from 95 to 160. Additionally, it's signature move Tera Starstorm turns into a spread move, and it's new ability Teraform Zero turns off weather and terrain, such as Kyogre's :kyogre: rain, Groudon :groudon: or Koriadon's :koraidon: sun, or Miraidon's :miraidon: Electric Terrain. Although Terapagos :terapagos-terastal: has a poor supportive move pool, it has access to a wide range of coverage moves, such as Earth Power and Ice Beam. Terapagos' biggest weakness is it's inability to use a defensive Tera, which can put it in awkward pins against Urshifu :Urshifu: and other fighting types such as Koraidon :Koraidon:.
Groudon's :groudon: Drought has been indirectly buffed massively this gen, with powerful and proven Photosynthesis Pokemon, such as Flutter Mane :flutter mane:, Roaring Moon :roaring moon: and Raging Bolt :raging bolt: receiving boosts when sun is up. This combined with Groudon's :groudon: excellent base 150 attack and access to a good spread move in Precipice Blades, along with it's great bulk make Groudon :groudon: an excellent bulky attacker. Stronger sun abusers is not the only indirect buff Groudon :groudon: has received, as it can now hold Clear Amulet to stop Intimidate and other attack drops, which can make Groudon :groudon: difficult to slow down or pivot around. Additionally, Groudon's :groudon: can consistently set up with Swords Dance or Bulk Up when paired with Fake Out users such as Incineroar :incineroar: and Rillaboom :rillaboom:. Similarly to sun in reg F, Groudon :groudon: can inadvertently power up opposing Protosynthesis pokemon, such as Choice Specs Flutter Mane :flutter mane:. It can also struggle against Kyogre :kyogre:, as it is unable to safely switch in to override the rain without potentially taking a Water Spout or Origin Pulse for around half it's health, although this drawback is diminished due to the synergy Groudon has with Raging Bolt :raging bolt:.
i agree with literally all of these but caly-i, this mon has the potential to snowball games and i firmly believe the average team - especially at the start of the format - will not be able to handle a competent caly player. Getting trick room up feels like its incredibly easy right now, especially on teams where i think caly-i will shine most - farig teams. This means that caly i will not have to worry about priority, while also offering helping hand support to help break through bulky mons - on these teams i even think caly will potentially be able to run SD to help break past bulkier threats. The strength of ice type stab cannot be understated in a meta where resists are relatively lacking, which is why i think caly i is deserving of A tier, with its inflexibility preventing it from going any higher.

Yeah I mostly agree with this list. I agree with what FBI said, that Calyrex-I :calyrex-ice: should be higher, though I don't think it's worthy of A tier. I think it's somewhere around A-. I also think Zacian :Zacian-Crowned: is pretty underrated, so I would put it in A tier. Finally, I would probably put Kyogre :Kyogre: somewhere around B+ tier. I think you made an overall great tier list.

With Reg G announced (assuming no April Fools day joke), I think it's time to paste the team that will truly define the meta (or at least be cool enough to make people want to try to use Iron Valiant)

:miraidon: :iron-valiant: :ogerpon-wellspring: :gholdengo: :landorus-therian: :chi-yu: Future Core: https://pokepast.es/9d14adadde5589b9

So basically, Iron Valiant is very cool. Super fast in terrain with damage control in spirit break, speed control in icy wind, and wide guard to protect allies.
Miraidon does a ton of damage just by being sent in and setting up its own terrain to boost itself. The goal is to pretty much just spam tera electric electro drift whenever you can, as shown in the calcs in the pokepaste it can 2 shot amoonguss with a respectable amount of SpDef investment which is kind of insane.
The weakest restricted matchups for Miraidon are Groudon which forces you to draco and lower your own SpA, and Caly-S and Zacian which outspeed and can threaten a lot of damage. For these matchups, Ogerpon and Lando are capable of checking Groudon, Valiant and Chi Yu put pressure on Caly, and Ghold and Chi Yu have a suitable matchup into Zac. Opposing Miraidon and Koraidon can also be threatening since the Miraidon isn't max speed so they can outspeed given enough investment, and they also resist electro drift making it more difficult to go for. However, Iron Valiant and Lando can be a check to both. There's also tera to watch out for as tera ground on opposing restricteds will only make Miraidon's job more difficult, but if you're aware of it and don't play too aggressively then it can be played around.

Good Luck, Have Fun, and You're Welcome.

I wanted to share this team I made for Reg G.
Original idea was Zacian :zacian-crowned: and Ogerpon Hearthflame :ogerpon-hearthflame: since I thought they could be cool together since they both got +1's with their respective abilities. Next, I wanted Rillaboom :rillaboom: for Fake Out support, and grassy terrain since it pairs well with Hearthflame :Ogerpon-Hearthflame:. I then added Choice Scarf Urshifu Rapid Strike :Urshifu: to give some extra speed to the team and for a better way to deal with Incineroar :incineroar:. Finally, I just asked my friends what to use for the last 2 mons, and they said Farigiraf :farigiraf: and Incineroar :incineroar:. So basically it's just Wolfeys Charlotte team with Zacian :zacian-crowned:>Flutter Mane :flutter-mane: lol

Paste if anyone wants to try it out: https://pokepast.es/838588e1498c793b

I wanted to share this team I made for Reg G.
Original idea was Zacian :zacian-crowned: and Ogerpon Hearthflame :ogerpon-hearthflame: since I thought they could be cool together since they both got +1's with their respective abilities. Next, I wanted Rillaboom :rillaboom: for Fake Out support, and grassy terrain since it pairs well with Hearthflame :Ogerpon-Hearthflame:. I then added Choice Scarf Urshifu Rapid Strike :Urshifu: to give some extra speed to the team and for a better way to deal with Incineroar :incineroar:. Finally, I just asked my friends what to use for the last 2 mons, and they said Farigiraf :farigiraf: and Incineroar :incineroar:. So basically it's just Wolfeys Charlotte team with Zacian :zacian-crowned:>Flutter Mane :flutter-mane: lol

Paste if anyone wants to try it out: https://pokepast.es/838588e1498c793b
Yeah this is probably zacians best comp that it's going to be ran on, wolfwys Charlotte team with zacian over either the flutter mane or ogerpon hearthflame.

Zacian definitely seems like itl be great on balance with its excellent defensive typing and access to quite a few moves, however its sorta forced to run swords dance due to the intrepid sword nerf, but if it has enough space with either double fake out or redirection it should be fine

It gives a interesting way to handle archaludon rain (which got a new tool in kyogre) with sacred sword, I think on this comp forgoing fairy STAB in favor of sacred sword if your running it over the flutter mane might be neccessary

Yeah this is probably zacians best comp that it's going to be ran on, wolfwys Charlotte team with zacian over either the flutter mane or ogerpon hearthflame.

Zacian definitely seems like itl be great on balance with its excellent defensive typing and access to quite a few moves, however its sorta forced to run swords dance due to the intrepid sword nerf, but if it has enough space with either double fake out or redirection it should be fine

It gives a interesting way to handle archaludon rain (which got a new tool in kyogre) with sacred sword, I think on this comp forgoing fairy STAB in favor of sacred sword if your running it over the flutter mane might be neccessary
I agree with this, however I do not think Archaludon Rain will become a major archytype. Also yeah I definitly need to give my Zacian SD, it feels really good on this team.

I agree with this, however I do not think Archaludon Rain will become a major archytype. Also yeah I definitly need to give my Zacian SD, it feels really good on this team.
i still think archaludon rain could be something to consider, something like this https://pokepast.es/f81da81dfbf274dd can be somewhat problematic for wolfeys team, and his main answer to arch rain was flutter, so if you replace it your gonna need some way to handle the matchup. it may not be a popular archetype, but its something to consider.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 6)