Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

Low ladder is the wild west of Pokemon. I've seen more gimmicks, and diversity in low ladder than I have ever seen at the points when I've reached mid or high ladder. I got cooked by a fucking Maranga Berry Garganacl. Can you honestly say what Maranga Berry does without looking it up, or did you even know it existed? Cause I sure didn't! I've seen Guard Dog Adrenaline Orb Okidogi. I've seen like 5 Weakness Policy Sticky Webs. Teams packing multiple Eject Packs and Red Cards. Just weird niche strategies that made me feel like I was getting farmed for Youtube videos. Think I'm just going to spam Roaring Moon from now on.
I feel the same dam way. I one time got swept by a dam sd Darkai that was running for some god forbidden reason sludge bomb.
Don't leak my strats like this online this is secret fucking tech buddy
WE CAN SWEAR???? OH FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!! (I never knew, now I can abuse this new founded power)

Low ladder is the wild west of Pokemon. I've seen more gimmicks, and diversity in low ladder than I have ever seen at the points when I've reached mid or high ladder. I got cooked by a fucking Maranga Berry Garganacl. Can you honestly say what Maranga Berry does without looking it up, or did you even know it existed? Cause I sure didn't! I've seen Guard Dog Adrenaline Orb Okidogi. I've seen like 5 Weakness Policy Sticky Webs. Teams packing multiple Eject Packs and Red Cards. Just weird niche strategies that made me feel like I was getting farmed for Youtube videos. Think I'm just going to spam Roaring Moon from now on.
low ladder is just random shit thrown at a wall half the time i remember i fought a dude with ENTIRELY red card pokemon, like Nothing but that item, i just use hyperoffense anytime im down there your hyper specific mon with an item no ones heard of maybe cool but how does it fair against +1 atk booster roaring moon tera fly acro ?

i just use hyperoffense anytime im down there your hyper specific mon with an item no ones heard of maybe cool but how does it fair against +1 atk booster roaring moon tera fly acro ?
Unironically tried Moon for the first time recently after falling due to rage queuing, and the amount of damage big green bar does against everything else is honestly serotonin inducing. I understand now why people roll their face on their keyboard with these things.

Some poor sod brought out Tusk at Full HP expecting to live an Acrobatics. Never stood a chance, unfortunately

One of the major points levied at Volcarona during its suspect was that it was rarely a dead slot. Even if it wasn't 6-0ing teams on preview, its typing and abilities allowed it to stay relevant and still contribute. I feel much the same about Roaring Moon, the only major differentiating factors being that it's mostly limited to HO teams and you don't have to contend with a bucketload of shitty RNG. Even in the games where it doesn't look like it does much, its ability to force progress often lets you later end up in a winning position.

I will say that I'm definitely not convinced yet that moon is banworthy, and the current meta is quite good for it. We'll have to see as the metagame adjusts, but I've played enough recently to feel that it's definitely an unhealthy presence in a lot of ways. You know exactly what set it's running and it still rarely ever fails to do its job.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
OKIDOGI NATION
IMG_4859.jpeg

Here with another spicy mon I’ve been playing around with. An overlooked legendary dog foreshadowed by the top dog of the tier, Zamazenta, who has been terrorizing OU since it dropped with the ability to pick and choose its checks between options like Roar, Heavy Slam, Stone Edge, Substitute, Rest, etc, followed with Terastilization, but this write-up is dedicated to the one that doesn’t give a shit, I’m referring to Okidogi.

Okidogi’s Niche In SV Overused
IMG_4861.png

Okidogi @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
Ability: Guard Dog
Tera Type: Flying/Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

(92 Speed outruns Jolly
IMG_5482.png
)

The main highlight of Okidogi is its ability to completely hard wall and 1v1
IMG_4652.png
with Bulk Up due to resisting Body Press, along with solid 88/115 physical bulk.

“B..but what about Roar-“

Okidogi doesn’t give a shit about Roar, wanna know why? It has Guard Dog, an ability you forgot about because it’s on a fucking ZU mon, but Okidogi is built different. To enlighten you on what it does, Guard Dog prevents you from being phazed out and also randomly boosts your Attack by 1 if Intimidated by
IMG_0688.png
for some reason.
This means
IMG_4652.png
is completely helpless in stopping Okidogi from beefing up. Guard Dog and its natural bulk also lets you 1v1
IMG_8884.png
which is kinda nuts.

If this was all Okidogi does, then I wouldn’t bother, but I found it to do more than just being the
IMG_4652.png
wall.
Okidogi functions very similarly to
IMG_4652.png
, being able to check
IMG_5482.png
and
IMG_2526.png
while bulking up with well…Bulk Up. It can even tank a +2 non-Tera Cudgel from
IMG_8858.png
if necessary.

+2 252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Ivy Cudgel vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Okidogi: 259-306 (68.3 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Okidogi in comparison to
IMG_4652.png
, has several distinct traits over it.

• Okidogi has access to STAB Poison Jab, allowing it to puncture through the
IMG_4648.png
IMG_4791.png
IMG_4751.png
that would check non-Heavy Slam
IMG_4652.png

• With Knock Off, Okidogi performs better into
IMG_5483.png
IMG_4647.png
IMG_5276.png
and grants it early-to-mid game utility while cr
IMG_5481.png
IMG_0688.png
, etc.

• Unlike Zama, Okidogi can absorb Toxic Spikes. Having a way to deal with them is important for offensive structures, especially with
IMG_5280.png
skyrocketing in usage.
Absorbing Toxic Spikes while functioning similarly to
IMG_4652.png
is a major asset.

252 Atk Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. +1 248 HP / 168+ Def Okidogi: 186-218 (49 - 57.5%) -- 52% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Darkrai Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Okidogi: 115-136 (30.3 - 35.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Hatterene Psyshock vs. +1 248 HP / 168+ Def Okidogi: 208-252 (54.8 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 1 ally fainted Kingambit Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Okidogi: 114-135 (30 - 35.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Iron Head vs. +1 248 HP / 168+ Def Okidogi: 207-244 (54.6 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Weavile Triple Axel (120 BP) (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Okidogi: 260-309 (68.6 - 81.5%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Okidogi: 71-84 (18.7 - 22.1%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Okidogi Poison Jab vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Primarina: 272-324 (84.7 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Primarina Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Okidogi: 190-225 (50.1 - 59.3%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 0 Atk Okidogi Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Slowking-Galar: 406-478 (103 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

144+ SpA Slowking-Galar Psyshock vs. +1 248 HP / 168+ Def Okidogi: 220-264 (58 - 69.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Slowking-Galar Psyshock vs. +1 248 HP / 168+ Def Okidogi: 172-208 (45.3 - 54.8%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Partners

IMG_5482.png

Gambit is one of the best partners for Okidogi. Not only does Gambit appreciate its ability to check Zama, but also its ability to wear down Lando/Tusk with Knock Off. It also nicely handle

IMG_8879.png
IMG_8868.png
IMG_8858.png

Like with Gambit, physical offensive threats like Roaring Moon and Dragonite all appreciate Okidogi’s ability to disrupt Zama and other physical walls.

IMG_4744.png

Okidogi and Raging Bolt both do a good job in wearing down Ground types. Raging Bolt also threatens Dondozo who can be a tad bit annoying for Okidogi.

IMG_4606.png
+
IMG_4789.png
/
IMG_8922.png
/
IMG_2526.png

One of Okidogi’s worst matchup is Gliscor, and Corv + Boots Darkrai/Kyurem/Weavile is one of the best ways to handle it. Corv also switches into Tusk and other Grounds. Since Okidogi handles Gambit, Corv can afford to run special investmest which answers nicely into Deoxys-Speed and switch into Psychic moves in general. Darkrai in particular also threatens Okidogi’s other bad matchup, Gholdengo.

IMG_4647.png

Pult loves Okidogi being able to check Gambit and Zama, the latter means Pult doesn’t have to switch into Crunches which helps Pult preserve HP for other threats. Pult can spread burns and invites in mons like Ting-Lu and Gambit, giving Okidogi entry points via U-Turn.

IMG_4797.png

Crown can switch into the special hits that threaten Okidogi while supporting it with Volt Switch and Future Sight.

IMG_4793.png

Since Okidogi handles many physically offensive threats already, Dozo can run more special bulk to answer Pokemon like CM Val or NP Ghold.

IMG_8884.png
IMG_4650.png

Ting-Lu appreciates Okidogi being able to be a Zama check with Knock while setting up hazards for it. Ting-Lu also checks some troublesome matchups like Raging Bolt and Gholdengo. Samurott is similar, but more offensive.

Replays

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2120431659-tkyywrtpz0ou734g74cwisnp0qi8n4spw (vs Leng Loi)

Okidogi 6-0s the whole team with the help of some paralysis luck to set up Bulk Ups, it gets hit with huge damage from Heatran’s Overheat (cool set btw), but it lives the Darkrai Ice Beam and heals off with Drain Punch before proceeding to sweep the whole team, even 1v1ing the Rest Zama.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2120021681

Even after being burnt, Okidogi sweeps the team once it Terastilizes in front of the Lando.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2120015484

Okidogi shows worth in this game by absorbing Toxic Spikes and then later sweeping the whole team after getting an opportunity vs the Kingambit.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2119989783

Okidogi switches into Zama and sets up on the burnt Lando.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2119975922

Okidogi easily 1v1s the Roar Zama and sweeps after I read the Moth switch.

That is all, I hope you’ve been convinced to try out Okidogi yourselves.

To conclude, here’s piss-colored Okidogi

IMG_4860.png

Don't remind me of this monstrosity they created. I will never forgive them for making it piss coloured, and this bad of a piss colour.

I am definetely interested in trying out okidogi, it's prob a D rank mon tbh that you can sometimes use.
I am now going to try out munkidori and see how that works lmao.

based on Gren's write-up, and my own experiences, i have a small very unrelated question. i used to have 219 as the speed benchmark for slower mons as that still outspeeds jolly gambit, but jolly gambit ain't even listed in the standard sets and afaik its fallen out of grace. is it still worthwhile or is it not that important? what are some benchmarks you guys take into consideration?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 10, Guests: 49)