Super-Effectivemons

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Approved by DTC

I personally think that this metagame would be a rather interesting one, since a Pokemon can use any move that it's weak to. To be more precise, if a Pokemon is weak to a type, it can use any move of that type, even if the move is a status move. For example, Ferrothorn is weak to Fire-type moves, so in super-effectivemons, Ferrothorn has access to Will-O-Wisp. So one way of looking at this is that the more weaknesses you have, the more options you have, so previously bad defensive types, such as Grass and Ice, have plenty of options to use. This also adds a bit of balance to Pokemon with a bad typing, so they turn a bad typing into an advantage.

Hidden abilities are released in this metagame, and Pokemon with hidden abilities obtained in B/W2 are allowed to use tutor moves.

Exceptions: Abilities that would patch up a weakness or make you immune to a type you're weak to don't prevent you from using moves of that type or those types. For example, Rotom-W has Levitate, but is still weak to Ground, so he can still use Ground-type moves, and Mega Venusaur has Thick Fat, but is technically still weak to Fire and Ice, so she can still use Fire- and Ice-type moves. For Mega Evolutions, the rule applies to the Pokemon before it Mega Evolves, so you can't use anything like Land's Wrath Mega Charizard X or Geomancy Mega Ampharos. Freeze-Dry will not be available to Water-types. Pokemon with Dry Skin don't get Fire-type moves unless their typing makes them weak. If a Pokemon's pre-evolution is weak to a type, but the final evolution isn't anymore, then it's allowed to use moves of that type, such as Charizard using Land's Wrath since Charmander is weak to Ground. Form changing does not allow the use of various moves, so Rotom-W doesn't get Steam Eruption even though Rotom-H is weak to Water, Shaymin-L can't learn Stealth Rock even though Shaymin-S is weak to Rock, and so forth.

Notable Buffs:

Magnezone can now use Earth Power, Blue Flare, Aura Sphere, and Secret Sword.

Weavile can now use Close Combat, High Jump Kick, U-turn, Sacred Fire, Flare Blitz, Gear Grind, and Play Rough.

Charizard can now use Thunderbolt, Power Gem, Bolt Strike, Stealth Rock, and Crabhammer.

Mamoswine can now use Power Whip, Spore, Close Combat, High Jump Kick, Crabhammer, Shift Gear, Sacred Fire, and Flare Blitz.

Latios can now use Tail Glow, Dark Void, Night Daze, and Spacial Rend.

Aerodactyl can now use Head Smash, Bolt Strike, Volt Tackle, Ice Punch, Icicle Crash, and Crabhammer.

Mawile can now use Earthquake, Sacred Fire, and Flare Blitz.

Espeon can now use Dark Void, Sticky Web, Switcheroo, and Tail Glow.

Tyranitar can now use Heal Order, Spore, Shift Gear, Play Rough, Infestation, High Jump Kick, Crabhammer, and Sticky Web.

Here are a few sets that I feel would really stand out:

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Bolt Strike
- Crabhammer

With the addition of Bolt Strike and Crabhammer, they can allow Talonflame to hit Rotom-W and Tyranitar, two of the previously best counters to Talonflame, for a great deal of damage, respectively. In fact, if they switch in, they will likely be 2HKOed, making Talonflame a fearsome sweeper. This also means there are no longer any perfect counters, since Tyranitar and Heatran get 2HKOed by Crabhammer, and the same thing happens to Rotom-W with Bolt Strike after Stealth Rock damage, though physically defensive sets avoid 2HKOs.

Espeon @ Focus Sash / Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Dark Void / Taunt
- Tail Glow
- Baton Pass / Taunt

This would be a terrifying set for Espeon to run, though may or may not be banned. Espeon can put something to sleep with Dark Void, set up with Tail Glow, and Baton Pass to a teammate, and allow them to sweep. This would be an excellent anti-lead set that can easily gain momentum the first turn or two. Having Taunt also further prevents leads from being as effective.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge / Crunch
- Close Combat / High Jump Kick
- Shift Gear
- Spore / Gear Grind

Mega Tyranitar has always been a great sweeper, but with Spore providing opportunities to set up, Shift Gear basically being a rich man's Dragon Dance, and Close Combat or High Jump Kick demolishing Steel-types, Mega Tyranitar can easily bring the pain. Gear Grind is a way of handling certain Fairy-types if you lack Stone Edge, such as Togekiss, Mega Gardevoir, and Sylveon.

These are just a few examples of what could come. Through discussion and battle experience, we can try finding normally bad Pokemon and possibly turning them into gold. Pokemon that are normally outclassed by another could find their own niche over any of their competition. For example, Donphan can set himself apart from Gliscor and Landorus-T by having access to Grass-type moves, such as Spore, Synthesis, and Aromatherapy. And even if you don't play it to be serious, it can just be a fun experience as a whole. I always laugh whenever I think of a Parasect using Flare Blitz.

Notable moves that you get if weak to its typing:

Grass: Power Whip, Horn Leech, Spore, Stun Spore, Synthesis, Aromatherapy, Seed Flare, Spiky Shield, and Leaf Storm.

Fire: Flare Blitz, Sacred Fire, Fiery Dance, Eruption, Blue Flare, Fusion Flare, Will-O-Wisp, and V-Create.

Water: Aqua Jet, Steam Eruption, Crabhammer, Water Spout, Hydro Pump, and Scald.

Electric: Bolt Strike, Volt Tackle, Discharge, Fusion Bolt, Thunderbolt, Thunder, Volt Switch, Thunder Wave, and Nuzzle.

Rock: Head Smash, Diamond Storm, Power Gem, Rock Polish, and Stealth Rock.

Ground: Earthquake, Earth Power, Bonemerang, and Spikes.

Ice: Avalanche, Glaciate, Haze, Ice Beam, Ice Shard, and Icicle Crash.

Fighting: Close Combat, Aura Sphere, Focus Blast, Bulk Up, Sacred Sword, Secret Sword, High Jump Kick, Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, Drain Punch, and Seismic Toss.

Bug: Bug Buzz, Megahorn, Quiver Dance, Defend Order, Heal Order, Attack Order, Sticky Web, Tail Glow, and U-turn.

Poison: Gunk Shot, Sludge Wave, Acid Spray, Gastro Acid, Clear Smog, Coil, and Toxic Spikes.

Flying: Brave Bird, Aeroblast, Tailwind, Defog, Roost, Oblivion Wing, and Acrobatics.

Ghost: Shadow Force, Shadow Ball, Hex, Night Shade, Curse, Shadow Sneak, and Destiny Bond.

Dark: Night Daze, Sucker Punch, Dark Void, Snatch, Switcheroo, Parting Shot, Nasty Plot, Knock Off, and Pursuit.

Psychic: Psystrike, Hyperspace Hole, Calm Mind, Zen Headbutt, Cosmic Power, Guard Split, Healing Wish, Reflect, Light Screen, Lunar Dance, Trick Room, Power Trick, Power Split, Psycho Boost, Psycho Shift, and Trick.

Steel: Iron Head, Flash Cannon, Gear Grind, Bullet Punch, Gyro Ball, King's Shield, Metal Burst, and Shift Gear.

Dragon: Dragon Dance, Dual Chop, and Spacial Rend.

Fairy: Play Rough, Light of Ruin, Moonblast, Draining Kiss, Geomancy, and Moonlight.

Nothing is weak to Normal, so despite being the offensive type with the most moves, Normal-type moves will fail to participate, otherwise, there would have been a plethora of options one could have chosen.

Top Threats:

Coming Soon

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I really like the idea behind this metagame, and I have no idea how it will pan out. However, I feel like we should suspect some powerful moves such as Spore (which Greninja can abuse) and V-Create (which can be learnt by Aegislash of all things)

In any case, here's a set I came up with :

Priority Trevenant
Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Defog / Taunt

This thing can be a massive pain to face. Will-O-Wisp is the most important move in the set, enabling it to neuter physical attackers. Leech seed is a great move to rack up even more passive damage with Burn damage. Subsitute is fantastic for stalling, and while Priority Defog is one hell of a niche, Taunt may be chosen over it to stop opposing Taunters.

Also, Kyurem-B looks absolutely terrifying.

I feel that grass types will love this new Metagame. They always had problems with lack of diversity in their movesets and with weaknesses to Ice, Fire, Flying, and Bug (for monotype Grass types), they can really add more diversity. For example, Leafeon:

Leafeon
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SpD
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Ice Shard
- Sacred Fire

Ice Shard takes care of Flying and Dragons and is priority. Sacred Fire takes care of steel types and bug types.

Oh yes, Mow Rotom takes an interesting turn here with the old fabled BoltBeam combo. Maybe you can do something like:

Mow Rotom
Item: Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EVs: either something bulky or the typical 252 SpA/252 Spd/4 HP?
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm/Will-o-Wisp
- Ice Beam
- Trick

Some other interesting ones...Small Gourgeist can finally get some sleep use with Dark Void. Hey! It might be better than Spore. Which speaking of Spore...some bulky waters might enjoy the chance to spore faster opponents.

Now time for something nasty...

Hydreigon
Item: Power Herb
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spd/4 SpD
Geomancy
Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
Dark Pulse
Flash Cannon

Yeah, Hydreigon now can pull off a Power Herb Geomancy. Some other Pokemon that would enjoy this include Latios, Keldeo, Virizion, Zoroark, Greninja, Latias, Salamence, Dragonite (who is probably going to use it more for the Special Defense bulk than the offense aside from maybe Latias and Virizion), Kingdra, and Noivern. I think Salamence might consider against it if it goes Moxie (though if it goes Intimidate you can make a passable bulky set with it) and Noivern and Zoroark aren't really physically strong enough to want to stay out to do it. I can't EV something that's not 252 one and 252 the other but it'll be interesting to see a few of these. In particular Bulky Dragonite, Salamence, and Latias sets seem like a good idea on paper...

canno

formerly The Reptile
Also, Kyurem-B looks absolutely terrifying.
Yeah because it gets Dragon Dance Shift Gear oh my god run.

Did someone say Kyurem-Black?

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 152 Spd / 252 Atk / 104 HP
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Dragon Claw / Dual Chop
- Gear Grind / Meteor Mash
- Close Combat / Drain Punch

152 outpaces scarf 110 after +2. 104 HP gives odd HP number. rest goes into Atk.

Also, Rotom-Wash gets (semi)-reliable recovery and/or Leech Seed. Also gets Spikes if that's your thing.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Synthesis / Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp / Leech Seed
- Hydro Pump / Spikes / Leech Seed
- Volt Switch

Also Greninja is neato. Gets STAB BoltBeam, Secret Sword, Seed Flare, Volt Switch (although U-Turn is better), and some other less notable things like Bug Buzz and Moonblast (although Dark Pulse + Moonblast has really good coverage together...). It can also use a physical set if that's your thing, since now it has high BP moves to make up for the sub-par attack stat such as Bolt Strike, Close Combat, and Power Whip.

Last edited:
Also, just realized something with Geomancy (But not using it), we now have an improved Baton Passer in Umbreon

Umbreon
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Bold/Calm
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: Probably something physically defensive since we're more inclined to boosting three stats with Quiver Dance over two with Bulk Up
Bulk Up
Quiver Dance
Baton Pass
Dark Pulse

This is one of the only Pokemon I know that can compactly increase all 5 stats which has the bulk to actually do it since it is weak to both Fighting and Bug. You might think, why Dark Pulse? It would be the best thing to prevent being Taunt bait/useless at the end of the match since Quiver Dance is so decent. Feel free to switch it with Foul Play, Toxic, or Substitute though if you want, but Substitute makes it completely dead weight at the end. This is probably a bit more gimmicky than what I previously posted, but it has enough bulk to get all the boosts it needs (you can even use it in a Baton Pass chain if you want to be that guy. Espeon's Stored Power would enjoy the attack boosts). The great thing about this is that it can be a premier baton passer for any member of your team since it can boost EVERYTHING.

Valmanway

I really like the idea behind this metagame, and I have no idea how it will pan out. However, I feel like we should suspect some powerful moves such as Spore (which Greninja can abuse) and V-Create (which can be learnt by Aegislash of all things)
I actually had plans about discussing ban-worthy moves, such as Dark Void, Tail Glow, and Geomancy, but I want to see where discussion takes us first, so like 3-4 days of discussion, and then we can talk about bans.

Greninja! :D @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Seed Flare
- Surf/Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
Not even the blobs are safe now! :3 Close Combat is another alternative. He does need something for Sylveon and crew though...
Greninja can also now use Thunderbolt, Bolt Strike, Volt Switch, Aura Sphere, Focus Blast, Quiver Dance, Tail Glow, Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, Giga Drain and Power Whip among others.

Diancie will get a much-needed movepool buff when she is released:
Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Careful/Adamant Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Earthquake
- Spikes/Stealth Rock/King's Shield
- Spore/Toxic
Earth Power, Steam Eruption, Giga Drain, Horn Leech, Shift Gear and Meteor Mash are also notable additions to Diancie's movepool in S-Emons.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf/Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability/Download
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
- Tri Attack
- Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball
- Secret Sword/Aura Sphere/Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot/Agility/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt
WALLBREAKER SUPREME

Some other things I noticed:
- Water types are greatly buffed coverage-wise, getting moves with perfect coverage alongside Water and Ice moves and also getting access to stuff like Nuzzle and Spore.
- Fighting types get excellent coverage with Flying and Fairy moves now, even though most of them had good coverage already. They also have Roost and Moonlight as recovery moves. And Geomancy Keldeo.
- Dark types are blessed with their Fighting, Bug and Fairy moves. Good coverage moves and status moves like Tail Glow, Quiver Dance, Bulk Up, Heal Order, Geomancy and such.
- All Stealth Rock-weak Pokemon can set up rocks themselves.
- Charizard Y has more options opposing Fire type Pokemon with Power Gem and Diamond Storm/Stone Edge, while Charizard X has Bolt Strike to hit both Heatran and Azumarill pretty hard.
- Garchomp, Hydreigon and Flygon finally get Dragon Dance like the other Dragons! :D
- It is damn good that no one's getting all the Normal moves. That would be a brokenfest.

I was skeptically about this metagame at first, but I greatly anticipate it now! :)

Meloetta finally gets Quiver Dance. new favorite meta kthx

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spa / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock / Dark Void
- Dark Pulse

Also:

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Trait: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spa / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Secret Sword
- Ice Beam
- Seed Flare / Hydro Pump

yep

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow, how could I possibly forget Geomancy?

Rainbow Doom
Keldeo @ Power Herb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 HP
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Aeroblast

Yeah... ouch. Scald is preferred since the burn chance pairs well with Gemoncy's SpD boost, but Hydro Pump is also an option. Secret Sword is obvious, and Aeroblast is there for coverage against the likes of Venusaur. This thing is super dangerous.

Also, Greninja's movepool is just ridiculous. This metagame sure compensates for bad defensive typings!

canno

formerly The Reptile
Deoxys-S and Deoxys-D get some neat toys too, such as Dark Void, U-Turn, Destiny Bond, Heal Order, Parting Shot, Sticky Web, and Memento, along with it's already really neat movepool. Suffers from 4MSS though

Also offensive greninja is neat, but support greninja is neat too.

Greninja @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Sticky Web
- Moonblast / Secret Sword / Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse / Thunderbolt

Greninja so strong

Too Strong (Greninja) @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Heal Order
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Greninja now gets BoltBeam coverage, as well as recovery and a set up move from bug weakness.

Albacore

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Topsy-Turvy
- Parting Shot
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Claw / Will-O-Wisp

Mega-Banette finally has a great niche. It's able to check any setup sweeper besides Mega-Pinsir by reversing their boosts, as well as use Parting Shot to cripple it even further. Prankser Destiny Bond is great, and although Prankster Will-O-Wisp might seen appealing, Shadow Claw takes advantage of Banette's natural power and therefore is preffered.

Valmanway

Greninja so strong

Too Strong (Greninja) @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Heal Order
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Greninja now gets BoltBeam coverage, as well as recovery and a set up move from bug weakness.
Greninja would greatly prefer Tail Glow over Quiver Dance if you ask me.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Diamond Storm
- Crabhammer

Diamond Storm hits Rotom harder and more accurately than Bolt Strike and is neutral against Ampharos-mega so it is overall the better option.

Also how does Thousand Arrows (http://serebii.net/attackdex-xy/thousandarrows.shtml) work?

Azumarill has Spore.
Electrify Seaking TOO OP
Aegislash gets : Will-O-Wisp, Curse, Parting Shot, Taunt + King's Shield, Destiny Bond, Knock Off, Sucker Punch, Switcherro, NASTY PLOT, Topsy-Turvy + King's Shield LOL, Dark Void, Confuse Ray, ETC
Also are CAP moves allowed? I want to use Shadow Strike Aegislash.

Last edited:
Tangrowth is one of the best coil users in this meta
Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Def, 4 HP
Coil
Heal Order
Power Whip
Fire Blast

Send this thing in once your opponent has no special attackers left and it's basically game

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)