Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know when you know how the pokemon looks but don't know it's name and are too lazy to search it up or have a difficult time finding it?
Well, heres a solution! Make it so pokemon will come up if you search up something related with it.
For example, "escavelier" will be "roman"

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
You know when you know how the pokemon looks but don't know it's name and are too lazy to search it up or have a difficult time finding it?
Well, heres a solution! Make it so pokemon will come up if you search up something related with it.
For example, "escavelier" will be "roman"
Some Pokemon have aliases that work in teambuilder and /dt. Aside from the aliases, this is a little bit too broad with ''similar'' stuff. If you cannot think of a Pokemon's name, you can just scroll through the entire teambuilder.

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Can we undo the change of the formattings working with spaces between then? We can now no longer show how the code formatting is done. Same applies to [[ ]] in The Studio for example.

Hi. I have been a lot of time wondering how could I change the style of my PS. Now that I have discovered it, I have been told that style can not be changed in the downloaded version. Please let me know if I am wrong and, if not, add the possibility of switching themes and styles to the downloadable version.

An option for best of 3 on the VGC ladder would really be appreciated, best of 1 (which is the only current option on ladder) doesn't offer a good enough practice for official VGC events (which are almost exclusively best of 3).

When I want to search high elo/ladder battles the +1300 game check box helps, but can that be customized for higher numbers in like say a textbox? Or give us more options as I want to filter out games under 1600s and such.

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I'd like to be given the option to punish people by clicking their name and finding the appropriate buttons there. For example of you're on a phone you're not going to be muting as fast because you can't tab their names either. I think it'd be useful if you could mute by clicking a button

I am going through medication withdrawal for several months. Since the earthquake animation was changed in november, I was barely able to play because it gave me a headache. Could someone add an option to disable move animations only because the sprites look completely different with animations disabled.

Hi! I am new but there is no way I am reading through 66 pages worth of suggestions, so please forgive me if I suggest something that someone else has already suggested. If for any reason someone wishes to get in touch with me, I will probably be more likely to notice an e-mail than a reply on here. My e-mail address is my username on this site at the google mail domain (I say it cryptically like that so spam bots don't eat me).

• The Firefox password manager covers the "log in" button because it is too close to the password form. Please add a gap at least as high as a line of text under the password form before any controls such as the "log in" button.
  • The items in the list of metas are way too small on mobile devices. Please at least double the size of an item in that list when on a mobile device.
  • When the server refreshes, the PMs are lost. Please save any in-memory or in-cache PMs to local storage when the "reload" button is pressed, then reload them after the refresh so that previous messages are not lost.
  • I have never used "/away" on here so maybe it already works this way, but I think "/away" would only be useful if it allows incoming private messages to show up but auto-replies "this person has been marked as away" ... but again it should allow the incoming message through. If an away person sends a PM or talks in chat, it should automatically mark them as no longer away.
  • Friend requests do not need to be implemented on the server. Imho, we don't have this feature entirely because the devs are making this way harder than it needs to be. My suggestion is as follows: Create a text document in local storage as if it were a team, but parse it as a newline-separated list of usernames. Whitespace is ignored as usual for usernames. If a comma appears after a name then the rest of the line is a comment. There is a special view in which this document is shown, and each username at the start of a line is colored correctly and is a hyperlink to "/user <username>" so you can click the name and then click "chat", etc. You can also click an "edit" button (which is located at the top of the special view, not in the "/user <username>" pop-up) and edit this document as pure text, adding personal comments about different people to remind you about them and such (e.g. "bob123, named fred not bob, uses quagsire"). When the in-progress feature of synchronizing teams to the server is implemented, it will be trivial to extend it to the friend list, since both teams and the friend list are text documents. Then on the "/user <username>" popups, add a button "follow" which adds the user to the bottom of the friend list on a new line. Offline messaging is out of scope for this suggestion, but should be easy to implement with this scheme.

Last edited:
  • The Firefox password manager covers the "log in" button because it is too close to the password form. Please add a gap at least as high as a line of text under the password form before any controls such as the "log in" button.
Maybe you should be sending suggestions to the developers of firefox to improve their browser (or use Chrome ;p)

This is a really minor thing, but separate options for the teambuilder sprites and battle sprites would be nice.
As in, if I like the BW sprites on the teambuilder, but not in battle, and want the XY models for during battle, the ability to choose separately would allow me to have that.

Maybe you should be sending suggestions to the developers of firefox to improve their browser (or use Chrome ;p)
I realize you were not being entirely serious, but I do agree that the Firefox password manager is less than ideal... I just don't want to distract the Mozilla devs from their current tasks because the extension overhaul is amazing and entirely necessary. Even so, web services are unfortunately the ones that have to change for issues like this. And as for Chrome, I do use Chrome! :D I simultaneously use Chrome, Firefox, and Opera. But Firefox is the one with this issue, which is why my suggestion mentioned that browser. Also, Chrome lacks container tabs, so I can't log into both of my accounts without resorting to incognito mode (which comes with its own problems)... maybe Chrome also has things that could be improved! xD

Some more suggestions:
  • The DeviantArt attribution links underlap the "Find a User" button when zoomed in. It would be helpful if the attribution was pushed down when other controls would overlap it.
  • This has probs been suggested before, but I hate having gen 7 music play when battling in the older gens. I would really like a BGM dropdown control in the "battle options" section in a battle.
  • The BGM also stops sporadically for me in battles I am a part of and also battles that I spectate, especially when I seek between turns in battles I am spectating.
  • I would like a "pause" button when spectating, to give me time to read what happened without having to scroll, and also so I can make my move in a game I am simultaneously playing without losing my place in my ...spectation(?).
  • If you do ``/challenge username, tier``, you do not get to pick your team. Instead, the last team you used in that tier is chosen even if you have since modified or deleted that team, or added new ones. I suspect that this is a bug, but if it is the intended behavior then I would like to suggest rethinking it. Not getting to choose which team to use makes me never use that otherwise helpful feature... perhaps you could give us a dropdown to select a team but have it only default to the last team chosen?
  • In a chatroom, you can do a plain ``/challenge`` to get a prompt "who do you want to challenge". In a PM with a certain user, the same command fails with a cryptic error message... I want to be able to type ``/challenge`` in a PM to get the same behavior, but with the target of the challenge being the person within whose chat I typed the command.
  • This is trivial, but I would like ``/cov`` to be an alias for ``/coverage`` (in addition to the current alias, ``/cover``).

I am sleepy so maybe my suggestions tonight are gibberish, sorry!

Mods:
Is anyone allowed to submit pull requests to PS on GitHub? If so then I would be happy to implement friend requests in my free time as I described them in my previous post if that would be helpful. It would probs take me about a week or two to do, depending on how much free time I have, how long it takes me to understand the surrounding code, and how much JavaScript I would have to learn to write it (I am a C programmer). Only if that would be helpful though :3

Last edited:
Is anyone allowed to submit pull requests to PS on GitHub? If so then I would be happy to implement friend requests in my free time as I described them in my previous post if that would be helpful. It would probs take me about a week or two to do, depending on how much free time I have, how long it takes me to understand the surrounding code, and how much JavaScript I would have to learn to write it (I am a C programmer). Only if that would be helpful though :3
Everyone is allowed to make pullreqests to the github, yes.

INSULT

and every day the paper boy brings more
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
I was wondering if PS can implement something where unused alts (havent been logged on in like 2-3 years) get deleted so the username can be freed up again. Don't see why I have been playing on this site for like 2 years and still can't have a name that hasn't been used in forever.

Last edited:

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I was wondering if PS can implement something where unused alts (havent been logged on in like 2-3 years) get deleted so the username can be freed up again. Don't see why I have been playing on this site for like 2 years and still can't have a name that hasn't been used in forever.
It would be troublesome if an old staff member left and thus had their account unregistered, because then someone else could register that account and impersonate the old staff.

INSULT

and every day the paper boy brings more
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
It would be troublesome if an old staff member left and thus had their account unregistered, because then someone else could register that account and impersonate the old staff.
Could there at least be a way to request an alt reset? Like you have to give a good reason as to why you deserve it, so you know that the right person is getting each username

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Could there at least be a way to request an alt reset? Like you have to give a good reason as to why you deserve it, so you know that the right person is getting each username
That is a thing but it's limited to gvoices and up or people that have contributed to Smogon, it's not something admins want to spend all their time on since they're the only ones with that access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)