Stunfisk

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I still disallow tiering discussion. Sorry if there's another thread hith tis name, but I couldn't find any.

Maggyo
Type: Electric/Ground
Egg Group: Water 1/Unknown
Gender Ratio: 50:50
Stats:109 HP/66 Atk/84 Def/81 Sp.Atk/99 Sp.Def/32 Spe
Abilities: Static: If attacked by a contact move, the attacker has 30% of being Paralyzed
Limber: This pokémon cannot be affected by Paralysis.
Sand Veil: During Sandstorm, this pokémon evasion raises one level

Moves:
New moves in Italic

Lv.-: Mud Slap
Lv.-: Mud Sport
Lv.5: Bide
Lv.9: Thundershock
Lv.13: Mud Shot
Lv.17: Camouflage
Lv.21: Mud Bomb
Lv.25: Discharge
Lv.30: Endure
Lv.35: Bounce
Lv.40: Muddy Water
Lv.45: Thunderbolt
Lv.50: Revenge
Lv.55: Flail
Lv.61: Fissure

TMs:
TM06: Toxic
TM10: Hidden Power
TM17: Protect
TM18: Rain Dance
TM21: Frustration
TM24: Thunderbolt
TM25: Thunder
TM26: Earthquake
TM27: Return
TM28: Dig
TM32: Double Team
TM34: Sludge Wave (Poison speciaal, 95BP, 10PP, 100%, may poison)
TM36: Sludge Bomb
TM37: Sandstorm
TM39: Rock Tomb
TM42: Facade
TM44: Rest
TM45: Attract
TM48: Troll (Normal special, 60BP, 15PP, 100% hit, increases power if the ally uses)
TM55: Boiling Water (Water special, 80BP, 15PP, 100% hit, may burn)
TM66: Payback
TM70: Flash
TM71: Stone Edge
TM73: Thunder Wave
TM78: Level Ground (Ground physical, 60BP, 20PP, 100% hit, lowers foe's Speed)
TM80: Rock Slide
TM87: Swagger
TM90: Substitute
HM03: Surf

Breeding
Shock Wave
Earth Power
Spark
Sleep Talk
Pain Split
Curse
Astonish
Spark
Yawn

Overview

WTF is this thing? Really, this thing is meant to be an electric fish, right? Shape aside, Maggyo is a unique pokémon. Really, unique type, unique niche, unique shape... Sorry, but this thing is really ugly to not comment. Defensively, his type is quite weak. Electric/Ground, althoug immune to Electric and resistant to Rock, Poison, Flying and Steel, he's weak to Grass, Ice, Water and Ground, and the three latter are very common. Its defenses are nice, though. 109/84/99 defenses are good, and his support movepool is cool as it includes Boiling Water, Thunder Wave, Yawn, Rain Dance and the ever favorite Toxic. The lack of a reliable movepool aside Pain Split hurts sometimes, but it can Restalk.

Offensively, Maggyo is mediocre. Even though he gets STAB in two of the best STABs to have, EQ and T-Bolt, 66 base Atk is too low to EQ, and 84 base Sp.Atk cannot even OHKO Mantine. He has good offensive movepool, but he simply can't abuse it. In resume, he is not good, but he is moderate if you play its strenghs. Just a quick tip, don't use it at a beauty contest.

Possible movesets that I can remember now.

Paradox: A beauty set for an ugly pokémon

@Leftovers
Ability: Whatever. All are meh for him
Bold Nature/Relaxed Nature
EVs: 188 HP/252 Def/68 Sp.Def

~ Discharge
~ Boiling Water
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk

Too bad this thing doesn't get any entry hazard. Oh well, this is the best it can do and is for stalling pruposes. Discharge is preferred than Thunderbolt because you are not going to hit anyone with your paltry Sp.Atk anyway. Discharge also has a nice 30% chance of paralyzing. Boiling Water complements Discharge well and has 30% chance of burning (The only one that cannot be either burned or paralyzed by Discharge is Camerupt, who is weak to Water. Stay away frow him, however). Rest and Sleep Talk are for survivability.

This thing can paralyze, burn, poison, put to sleep and scary. Especially scary

@Leftovers
Calm Nature/Sassy Nature
EVs: 252 HP/68 Def/188 Sp.Def

~ Discharge
~ Boiling Water/Yawn/Toxic
~ Boiling Water/Yawn/Toxic
~ Pain Split

Status plataform set. Discharge had alrady been discussed early. The second and third move are whatever you want to inflict, if is Burn (Boiling Water), Put to Sleep (Yawn), or Poison (Toxic). Pain Split is your only method of recovering, so use it, pal.

Feces Face makes rain. Politoed too and doesn't need a move

@Damp Rock
Calm Nature
EVs: 252 HP/4 Sp.Atk/252 Sp.Def

~ Rain Dance
~ Thunder
~ Surf/Boiling Water
~ Pain Split

Forget about it if Politoed doesn't get banned. Set up Rain Dance and abuse your STAB Thunder with its sexy 120 BP and 30% chance of paralyze. Surf X Boiling Water is power X burn. Pain Split is for bad recovery since it doesn't get better things.

Thanks for this one, Crimson assassin. Just need a suggestive name for the set.

@Leftovers
Ability: Static
Bold Nature
252 HP /200 Def/58 Sp.Def

Thunderbolt
Pain split
Yawn/ hp ice
Boiling water

The point of this set is to either to either get the burn off and ride this guy out until he is low on hp then you can yawn to force a switch then pain split on the switch or if you get the para had from static just throw out the pain split anyway because you will be faster. Hp ice are for those of us who want some form of coverage against grass seeing as you have two chances of status anyway yawn can be dropped but you may lose some ability to guarantee switches will be made

Feel free to discuss it and admins, for closing it if there's something wrong.

Next analysis: Torunerosu or Morobareru.

Maggyo must be Whiscash's cousin that he never likes to talk about... I don't even want to talk about him. There might be some competitive use in Maggyo somewhere in his movepool, but for the life of me I don't want to think about this "Pokemon" any longer!

Maggyo must be Whiscash's cousin that he never likes to talk about... I don't even want to talk about him. There might be some competitive use in Maggyo somewhere in his movepool, but for the life of me I don't want to think about this "Pokemon" any longer!
So that's how Whiscash gets Spark!!

The thing I love most is the "WTF" mature. I think it may have a similar use in the lower use as Dunsparce - to garnish as many "cool points" during a battle as possible while simply having fun. It's awesome how it gets nearly every status move (thank you Boiling Water), as well as (un)reliable healing in Pain Split. While I don't think it'll see much use, those who do deserve awesomeness points for sure.

BTW:

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Everything about this Pokemon seems...awkward. It has good STAB, but lacks the stats to abuse that. Defensively, Electric/Ground doesn't work too well, and its abilities leave much to be desired. It has good all-around defensive stats, but lacks a reliable recovery move (it is pretty slow to be relying on Pain Split).

However, it looks like it can do one thing well: spread status. Discharge, Boiling Water, Yawn, Toxic,... All good! Really any other role I can think of would be handily outclassed by Pokemon from every current tier.

Azure Demon

I'd run

Bold~static
Item: leftovers
252hp/200def/58spdef

Thunderbolt
Pain split
Yawn/ hp ice
Boiling water

The point of this set is to either to either get the burn off and ride this guy out until he is low on hp then you can yawn to force a switch then pain split on the switch or if you get the para had from static just throw out the pain split anyway because you will be faster. Hp ice are for those of us who want some form of coverage against grass seeing as you have two chances of status anyway yawn can be dropped but you may lose some ability to guarantee switches will be made

Xav: when this game hits the U.S you and I are gonna battle and I'm going to make you eat your words that you just said about this little guy

my favorite part is that he is part ground type, incredibly slow, and gets limber

In all honesty though, thing guy has a lot going for it. It is quite possibly the best static abuser in the game due to high hp and defense and has 99 special defense as well. Plus it has a ridiculous movepool that can also cause status annndd it gets sleep talk which i think is something a lot of pokemon now wish they could have. Definite possibilities with this in my opinion

breh

強いだね
RD is a terrible idea; I think it's slower than every water type that exists. RD is best suited for fast leads (ala ambipom in UU) and bulky RD sweepers (ala Kigdra and Ludicolo).

Plus there are already politoed and Ninetales, who are in no danger of being banned.

Sand Veil should be on every set, as it grabs a boost from Sandstorm more often than it will be body slammed or stun spored...

Calm/Bold should always be used; you're not running mix and there's no need to be slow. Plus it outspeeds spiritomb, not to mention a few other slow as shit and no speed pokes, lol

Gimmick curse set has not yet been suggested? It certainly has the defenses for it... SE/EQ/Rest/Curse?

Finally anybody who's played the game knows that this thing is even more of a troll than elecric lamprey (it has no level-up moves and evolves at 39... x_x)... its cry sounds strikingly like flatulence and it makes the derpiest face in existence.

Seriously its face is the description of derp... like combine bidoof and Kokoromori's derpinesses

This guy needs a novelty specs set. Modest, 252 sp.attack, the rest into defenses 'cause you're slow as shit...Earth Power/TBolt/Surf/HP Ice ftw.

Don Honchkrorleone

Sand Veil should be on every set, as it grabs a boost from Sandstorm more often than it will be body slammed or stun spored...

Finally anybody who's played the game knows that this thing is even more of a troll than elecric lamprey (it has no level-up moves and evolves at 39... x_x)... its cry sounds strikingly like flatulence and it makes the derpiest face in existence.

Seriously its face is the description of derp... like combine bidoof and Kokoromori's derpinesses
The problem with Sand Veil is that it is a DW ability, pal. If we can't breed in DW (whch I think we can't), no good moves like Pain Split, Sleep Talk, Earth Power, Yawn or even the Curse you mentioned.

Also, agree with his face. Depressing, pal. Just depressing.

I love this thing's weird face so much. Anyway, if Maggyo is going to have any value, it would probably have to be by taking advantage of its very good defenses and at least two of these things:

• It can use Electric attacks without worrying too much about all the Volt Absorb, Motor Drive, and LightningRod Pokemon switching in since it can hit all of them except Zapdos with Earth Power and has immunity to their STAB moves (except for Lanturn).

• It can use four kinds of status moves, including three 30% status chance special attacks in Boiling Water, Discharge, and Sludge Bomb. For this particular Pokemon, Sludge Bomb shouldn't be as disregarded as it would normally be; Grass Pokemon resist Water, Electric, and Ground all at once and have the type advantage over Maggyo, so being able to hit them is nice. Even after Sludge Bomb has been revealed, the usual switch-ins who would come in on a Poison attack aren't safe. A good Poison-resist like Gengar fears Discharge paralysis, and most Steel-types hate being hit by at least one move out of Discharge, Earth Power, and Boiling Water, especially since they'd usually have to take at least two hits from those attacks to get through Maggyo's defenses.

• It can work well in two kinds of weather, arguably three. In Sandstorm it stalls with good all-around defenses and no residual damage. In Rain Dance it gets stronger Water attacks and 100% STAB Thunder. In Sunny Day, it doesn't get anything on its own, but it does have a type advantage over Fire-types who are likely to be on those kinds of teams. It's not exactly Windstorm Dragonite as far as taking advantage of any weather type, but it can kind of do a weird niche thing.

Those are the selling points I'm seeing. All in all, still looks too slow and not strong enough to make any notable impact, but for fun status use I think it has a certain cool factor. Probably loads better in Trick Room than out of it, so it can get extra status shots off or Pain Split whenever it wants.

If he was a tad faster he'd be more usable. Meh, I might just give him some C.Specs and see how he runs. Its cool that hes Electric/Ground though.

I was thinking it could do Curse relatively well because of all the Gen V Pokemon that are really good in TR....Then I realized all of it's best options are special....and my dreams were crushed....

Sweepeing with derp would be so epic.

breh

強いだね
The problem with Sand Veil is that it is a DW ability, pal. If we can't breed in DW (whch I think we can't), no good moves like Pain Split, Sleep Talk, Earth Power, Yawn or even the Curse you mentioned.

Also, agree with his face. Depressing, pal. Just depressing.

'Tis a pity..

Eh well then note this in the overview please (that it gets an absolutely useless ability and to get the semi-decent one it has to give up egg moves)

EDIT: I'm stupid enough to think it only had limber and sand veil >_<

No; use static by all means, IMO

how is static a useless ability? its free paralysis just because your opponent hit you. then you can bring in something else to take care of whatever did the damage

'Tis a pity..

Eh well then note this in the overview please (that it gets an absolutely useless ability and to get the semi-decent one it has to give up egg moves)
You can breed with Dream World abilities, sorta. Not that this fish thing has any business breeding in the first place

how is static a useless ability? its free paralysis just because your opponent hit you. then you can bring in something else to take care of whatever did the damage
It's useless because it takes an average of 3 turns to work, requires contact moves, plus by that time you're dead anyway. It isn't quite as useless as his other abilities though and should be getting more recogscrew it this pokemon is worthless and everything he does is worthless I feel slightly worse about myself just looking at him

I'd like to use this post to say that Ampharos and Raichu are complete bitches to battle in the Trainer House because their Static works literally 100% of the time. freaking in-game mechanics

Sand veil is not that bad, if i remember correctly, that was one of the points that people brought up to help put garchomp into uber tiering. It's 1/5 attacks that you will not be hit by, not factoring hax. I like pain split because it takes out the opponents hp as well as restore yours. Granted it's not so reliable a healing move, but I always saw it as an offensive move with the added ability to heal your pokemon. Since it's attacking stats are not strong I think pain split is great on it. Pain splitting a predicted switch can be game breaking, and allows for 2hkos on certain occasions.

This pokemon is not going to be the next big defensive monster, but I think it will find a decent spot in uu. Hippopotas is there for auto sandstorm.

Sand veil is not that bad, if i remember correctly, that was one of the points that people brought up to help put garchomp into uber tiering. Honestly, it's 1/5 attacks that you will not be hit by not factoring hax. I like pain split because it takes out the opponents hp as well as restore yours. Granted it's not so reliable a healing move, but I always saw it as an offensive move with the added ability to heal your pokemon. Since it's attacking stats are not strong I think pain split is great on it. Pain splitting a predicted switch can be game breaking, and allows for 2hkos on certain occasions.

Now, this pokemon is not going to be the next big defensive monster, but I think it will find a decent spot in uu. Hippopotas is there for auto sandstorm.
can this Doormat Fish pokemon force anything out? The problem is it's walled so easily. Quagsire poops all over it. Look at the picture for the Quagsire thread, it's pooping. This is Quagsire's poop. I'm sorry I can't discuss this pokemon seriously LOOK AT IT

I can't wait to use Maggyo.

Unique typing
Solid sp.atk with which to use STAB thunderbolt, STAB earth power, STAB discharge, and interestingly boiling water
Outstanding HP and excellent sp.def, above average def
Yawn and T-Wave

He has a very cool niche. Between his great bulk, coverage, and variety of status options, I expect him to be fun to use.

And I like his design just fine.

i think this guy can be a bulky UU it has a good movepool for an eletric type right?

boilingwater/muddy water/surf(first ground pokemon who learns surf?) thunderbolt/discharge/thunder/twave earthpower and yanm toxic sludge wave/suldje bomb and why allmost all sets miss earth power i think its imperative for stab because of his 84 bp spa

can this Doormat Fish pokemon force anything out? The problem is it's walled so easily. Quagsire poops all over it. Look at the picture for the Quagsire thread, it's pooping. This is Quagsire's poop. I'm sorry I can't discuss this pokemon seriously LOOK AT IT
It can come in on a choice user, take a resisted rock attack, electric attack or steel attack. Not the biggest defensive threat, but It'll have it's uses. It's stats aren't completely garbage, it's got defenses similar to swampert. It's typing isn't as great, but it doesn't have a 4x weakness either. It's not as bad as everyone's making it out to be. And let's not forget sand veil hax, as lame as it is, I remember Garchomp sand veil hax'ing me to some nice victories in shoddy.

EDIT: Can also force out with yawn.

I've been shying away from spoilers, so I still don't know quite a few of the new Pokes that are out there, but about half an hour before I ran into "Quagsire poop," I was speculating about an electric/ground type.

Too bad it had to be this guy.

You'd think it was yet another ground/water. Or some twisted cousin to Dunsparce. Or maybe an alternate evo of Barboach.

But no, we got the incarnation of derp.

Definitely gonna use it.

Don Honchkrorleone

i think this guy can be a bulky UU it has a good movepool for an eletric type right?

boilingwater/muddy water/surf(first ground pokemon who learns surf?) thunderbolt/discharge/thunder/twave earthpower and yanm toxic sludge wave/suldje bomb and why allmost all sets miss earth power i think its imperative for stab because of his 84 bp spa
84 Sp.Atk is pretty low, but if you want a set that uses Earth Power:

This thing become even uglier with glasses, but everyone wants...

@Choice Specs
Ability: Static
Modest Nature
EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp.Atk/4 Sp.Def

~ Thunderbolt/Thunder
~ Earth Power
~ Surf
~ Sludge Wave/HP Ice

For you, people that posted wanting a SpecsGyo. I don't like he sweeping with only 84 Sp.Atk, but, if you want him all out attacker, this is the best he gets. Thunderbolt is a reliable and strong STAB, but you may prefer Thunder for sheer power and paralysis abuse. Earth Power is another strong and helpful STAB that gives awesome coverage. Surf is for Grounds that will want to switch to drag you to the grave. The last slot is for the grasses. Sludge Wave is a powerful Poison move that can poison 10% of the time, but since Poison is a terrible attack, you may teach HP Ice.

Honestly; this guy looks rather interesting. He has awesome status inflicting moves that will almost always cripple /something/ as well as the defenses and moves to stick around for a little while. Why is he so terrible?

lol, I thought of a way to give him some use....Combine Curse and Boiling Water.
Burn the opponent, then use Curse to increase your defense. Can be annoying annoying physical wall....Being a bother to take down and you'll have to look at that derp face even longer. XD

Also thought I would mention:
His B/W animation is him attempting and failing to smile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)