ORAS NU Stressed Out

What's up guys, my name is XenoTech N and I used to have a problem: stress. Specifically, I was stressed out when I was in the middle of a losing streak playin' mons. About the 8th game, I decided to start over completely, and build all-new teams. This one was the first one I built, and ironically the first game I played with it I snapped the losing streak (yay). Since I've been using it for a while, I think I'm going to reveal it for all to see and use. Without further delay, I give you Stressed Out.

So I started off with Samurott, who is one of the best sweepers in the tier in my opinion.

Next I chose Rotom-Fan, which really pairs well with Samurott, and gives me a nice revenge killer to fall back on.

Next I chose Hariyama because the team was lookin hella weak to Ice, and it gives me a nice switch-in to special attackers in general.

Then I wanted a reliable rocker and physical blocker (minus fighting types).

At this point, the team was looking kinda weak to psychics and ghosts, so I added Skuntank to laugh at them.

Last I was kind of fearing Fighting types, and knowing that normal spam was exceptionally popular, I added Mismagius to help deal with them. I chose this over Musharna because the team was lacking in speed other than Rotom.

The Team

Samurott @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Razor Shell
- Megahorn
Samurott is my sweeper. It has the normal setup, so there isn't much to say here. The one difference is that I use Razor Shell over Waterfall, mainly to help with physical walls (mainly Quagsire), and who doesn't like a 50% chance to drop defense anyway? Lum Berry is there to give Samurott a one-time reprieve against status, and the EVs are to outspeed Pawniard, which is like one of two things relevant for Samurott to outspeed.

Rotom-Fan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
Rotom-Fan is my revenge killer. The STAB moves are to stab stuff it hits super effectively or neutrally. HP Grass is to hit the stuff that resists its STABs. Trick helps to break Pokemon that rely on more than one move. Yes, I know Scarf mons aren't good in this meta, but ScarfTom-S has been so good on my team, just taking out half of a team for me sometimes. The EVs are to make Rotom hit as fast and as hard as it possibly can.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat / Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out
So Hariyama is my special wall/ Ice resist. Obligatory Close Combat and Knock Off on here, then Fake Out + Bullet Punch to give it the whole "same damage as a Sucker Punch" thing. Thick Fat makes it an actual ice resist, but you could also run Guts here too if you're bothered by Will-O-Wisps. 20 Speed is to creep other Hariyamas, then max attack, and the rest go into Special Defense so 'Yama can tank hits.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
Ferroseed is my rocks setter and physical wall. Stealth Rock is obligatory, and Leech Seed is how Ferro gets it's health back. Thunder wave cripples it's switch-ins, and slows other pokes down for the team. Gyro Ball is used so that Ferroseed isn't always completely helpless offensively. Iron Barbs punishes most physical attackers. The EVs are pretty much standard.

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 232 Atk / 132 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Defog
Skuntank is my psychic/ ghost/ Mega Audino check and my defogger. Pursiut traps psychis and ghosts, and Sucker Punch gives Skunk priority. Poison jab hits fairies. Defog removes those pesky hazards, and Mismagius has Taunt covered. Aftermath is nice to stop physical setup sweepers, and Black Sludge improves Skuntank's longetivity. Again, the EVs are standard.​

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Pain Split
Mismagius is my secondary fighting and normal check. Will-O-Wisp burns stuff, and Hex does decent damage to the Pokemon not immune to it. Taunt is nice to prevent non-attaking moves, which can be pesky. Pain Split helps Mismagius last longer. Colbur Berry is necessary in order to keep Mismagius from dying to dark coverage. Levitate is standard, and the EVs are there to not let Missy die to Knock Offs even with Colbur.

My god this thing is annoying. Offensive version aren't that much trouble, but the defensive ones just step in and wall the team, or just force me to switch out, and then Volt switch and gain momentum. Fortunately, it doesn't have recovery, so I can wear it down throughout the match.

Multiple fighting types on a team usually spell doom for me, especially if one is Sawk, as they wear down my checks and then just kill with Close Combat/Drain Punch/other.

There are probably others but I can't think of any.

Samurott @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Razor Shell
- Megahorn
- Aqua Jet

Rotom-Fan @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
EVs: 232 Atk / 132 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Defog

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Pain Split

Kiyo Machinae Deej Dy MARCU5theBAW5 Official Fissure Winter's Howl HJAD Disjunction TONE114
SilverReaper21 Sir Kay Teddeh raseri Realistic waters metaphysical Holiano alvis astley shadestep tmacbalanced boltsandbombers Jarii NV ryan GyRo iplaytennislol Brandonbeast Brawlfest Ren-Chon Can-Eh-Dian TTFTW Aladdyn Laurel sorry if I forgot you

Thank you and I love you all. :)​

Last edited:
Tested out the team a bit, thought i'd share my thoughts.

Razor Shell Samurott is by far my favorite aspect of this team and it is awesome. Losing the flinch chance sucks but with the defense drop happening 50% of the time is is actually really useful lol. Fat mons switch in and get unexpected defense drops flipping the tables on them.

That being said team has a lot of issues with common balance mons and balance cores stuff like Lanturn+Xatu gives this team a ton of issues and so does Bulky Scyther provided Rotom-F is gone. Not entirely sure how this can be helped though maybe someone with more teambuilding experience can step in. Something to lure in some of Samurott's obstacles would be helpful though (like Fire Blast Skuntank for Vileplume or something idk)

I feel as if you aren't running spikes instead using Thunder Wave+Rocks ferroseed you may as well run Mesprit who can do both and give you a good fighting resistance.

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Would also give you a source of momentum since you aren't running volt switch on Rotom.

Edit: Didn't think about electric resist. Yea maybe keep ferroseed then unless you can find some other electric resist to fit on the team. Otherwise don't change anything.

Edit 2: Piloswine seems like a good option. Gives you a rock setter who isn't dead weight against xatu

Last edited:
Tested out the team a bit, thought i'd share my thoughts.

Razor Shell Samurott is by far my favorite aspect of this team and it is awesome. Losing the flinch chance sucks but with the defense drop happening 50% of the time is is actually really useful lol. Fat mons switch in and get unexpected defense drops flipping the tables on them.

That being said team has a lot of issues with common balance mons and balance cores stuff like Lanturn+Xatu gives this team a ton of issues and so does Bulky Scyther provided Rotom-F is gone. Not entirely sure how this can be helped though maybe someone with more teambuilding experience can step in. Something to lure in some of Samurott's obstacles would be helpful though (like Fire Blast Skuntank for Vileplume or something idk)

I feel as if you aren't running spikes instead using Thunder Wave+Rocks ferroseed you may as well run Mesprit who can do both and give you a good fighting resistance.

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Would also give you a source of momentum since you aren't running volt switch on Rotom.
Not having an electric resist sucks but I'll probably work something out, or just keep the team the same. Thanks for the rate!

Not having an electric resist sucks but I'll probably work something out, or just keep the team the same. Thanks for the rate!
Yea I completely spaced on the electric immunity my bad. You can totally keep ferroseed if you want I just generally haven't liked it too much in recent months with meta trends and what not. Especially because it is hard walled by Xatu which is contributing to the team's issues against balance. You could switch out Ferroseed for Piloswine which has been rising in popularity recently. It gives you a different eviolite user with an actual electric immunity who can also set up rocks and fits your team of bulky mons well. It also threatens out Xatu and gives you a strong Ice and ground type abusers which you don't have.

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

It seems like a perfect fit for your team honestly except for how it just compounds your Lanturn issue even further. So unless you can find a way to stop lanturn from destroying you even worse I probably would leave it as is for now lol

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
SD Samurott / Scarf Rotom Fan / AV Yama / Defensive Ferroseed / Physical Skunktank / Stallbreaker Mismagius

One thing I would suggest is running Expert Belt specially offensive Skunktank over your current set as it lets you take on things like Rhydon and Klinklang alongside Scarf Rotom, also catches Quagsire which you mentioned is annoying. Musharna also can't rely on it dying to Life Orb recoil either so it still functions as a pretty nice check to it as well. Also gives you more opportunities to defog by taking advantage of its better coverage.

With that being said, It would be a better idea to just run Waterfall over Razor Shell, the immediate power is much better than relying on the defense drop, and special skunk gives you another way to beat Quagsire so I don't think it's necessary to run anymore. Another thing I would suggest is running Life Orb over Lum berry since the power would be great for running through Lanturn a lot easier since Megahorn is a much higher chance to OHKO at +2 after rocks damage. Just an additional thought since you mentioned it gives you trouble as well.
Hope my suggestions help, enjoy!
Skuntank @ Expert Belt
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Defog

Samurott @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance

Hey Xenotech,

Sweet looking balance team you have here. I do also indeed enjoy the mechanic behind Razor Shell, its extremely useful when it comes to pressuring pokemon like Quagsire and generally physically bulky pokemon that think they can take on Samurott like Ferroseed. You sacrifice some reliability but nevertheless it is a fun move to have on board. Onto the rate and i feel like having no electric immunity is quite important, especially with the balance team you are trying to utilise. It means that pokemon such as Rotom can consistently click Volt Switch with zero cost. I like Rapture's suggestion of EBelt Special Skuntank > Current Set because its overall a more reliable defogger than physical as it can also beat rockers such as Rhydon by 2HKO'ing it on the switch.

I see the easiest way to allievate this problem is by using SpDef Lanturn > Hariyama. The reason for this is that whilst hariyama provides a viable fire / ice switch in, Lanturn offers a viable Fire / Ice Resist as well as Electric Immunity. Im also going to suggest Whirlpool Lanturn with Toxic. The reason for this is that it could be extremely effective in weakening opposing lanturn for Rotom-S by force. Its therefore an effective way of contributing to the win-condition, as its technically either gaining momentum with volt switch or whirlpool trapping a Lanturn. Other ground types risk being hit for huge damage by Scald or the repercussions of a possible scald burn, should Lanturn use it. One of the things Hariyama provided your team was, was Dual Priority in Fake Out + Bullet Punch. However with a viable defogger in Skuntank and a Scarfer in Rotom-S mean that i doubt revenge killing Pokemon would be a problem, not to mention still having Samurott as a powerful back up priority and as a result, revenge killing shouldnt be too big of an issue. The typing overlap with Samurott shouldnt be too big of an issue either, you have 3 good grass resists in rotom-s, skuntank and ferroseed which should be able to handle all of the meta to good effect.

Skuntank @ Expert Belt
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Defog

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 220 Def / 208 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Whirlpool / Heal Bell
- Toxic / Thunder Wave

best of luck in the future
~HJAD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)