SPOILERS! Stakataka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
1v1 Naganadel is unreliable, because the turn Naga sets up, it dies from Gyro Ball or (even worse) goes under Trick Room and goes down the next turn.
And nobody mentally sane would ever send Stakataka on a +2 Naganadel :/
I never said anything about that, you just said that it couldn't hurt Stakataka much and posted a +2 calc. My calc shows that it can, was all I was saying.

The more I fiddle around with Stakataka, the more I think that Beast Boost really isn't a good ability for it. I think it's the only case where you must purposely gimp its stats to make Beast Boost work the way you want it to. Which is not to sell it short, mind you: a Rock/Steel with a poor man's Moxie and self-made Trick Rooms is pretty damn threatening. But having to take away from the bulk it is very clearly supposed to use just to make it serviceable is kinda sad.

The main problem I'm seeing with Staka is that TR Sweeper is the only thing it's really good at. 20 years and Game Freak still hasn't realized that a tank with no recovery isn't a tank; Rock/Steel just isn't a generous defensive typing no matter how you slice it, and it plainly needs items that aren't Leftovers in order to function (Z-Crystals, Assault Vest, Air Balloon). Be it a Wall or a Trapper, there are simply other bulky Pokemon with less caustic typings that do the job better. With TR Sweeper as its only niche and Gyro Ball and Stone Edge almost guaranteed to be in its moveset, the only mindgames you can get out of it are whether your third move is Earthquake or Superpower, making Staka incredibly one-note.

Personally I'm wondering if having Skill Swap with Staka in Doubles is the right way to diversify it, though my first thoughts of it didn't quite work out: I was thinking of having a Doubles partner with Moxie set up either the Trick Room or the Skill Swap, but it turns out Trickers or Swappers with Moxie don't actually exist.

Last edited:
The more I fiddle around with Stakataka, the more I think that Beast Boost really isn't a good ability for it. I think it's the only case where you must purposely gimp its stats to make Beast Boost work the way you want it to. Which is not to sell it short, mind you: a Rock/Steel with a poor man's Moxie and self-made Trick Rooms is pretty damn threatening. But having to take away from the bulk it is very clearly supposed to use just to make it serviceable is kinda sad.

The main problem I'm seeing with Staka is that TR Sweeper is the only thing it's really good at. 20 years and Game Freak still hasn't realized that a tank with no recovery isn't a tank; Rock/Steel just isn't a generous defensive typing no matter how you slice it, and it plainly needs items that aren't Leftovers in order to function (Z-Crystals, Assault Vest, Air Balloon). Be it a Wall or a Trapper, there are simply other bulky Pokemon with less caustic typings that do the job better. With TR Sweeper as its only niche and Gyro Ball and Stone Edge almost guaranteed to be in its moveset, the only mindgames you can get out of it are whether your third move is Earthquake or Superpower, making Staka incredibly one-note.
Stakataka with Recover? No please.
Seriously, with just +1 Def it can tank Lando's EQ easily, while taking the oneshot with Gyro Ball on the Scarf Lando even at -1 Atk. This thing has all it needs to be successful: self-made Trick Room, meaning you use the full 4 turns you have; a super STAB that you can spam à-la Gen VI Talonflame; a secondary STAB that vaporizes anything resisting Gyro Ball/anything too slow; even a third offensive option in EQ or Superpower, to have a superbe coverage between STAB and 3* option.
Real downside of Stak is that it misses PPs: its STABs sport 16 PP when aggregrated, meaning you can easily PP stall its STABs and let it being walled by Flying/Levitators (EQ), or by Ghosts (Superpower); last scenario is even worse, as it has to drop its most relevant stats to do some damage.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
I was thinking of having a Doubles partner with Moxie set up either the Trick Room or the Skill Swap, but it turns out Trickers or Swappers with Moxie don't actually exist.

Well, it might not be Skill Swap, but Pyroar gets Moxie and Entrainment.

I definitely see more love in Doubles for Stakataka since you can support it more there than in singles. Being able to give its partner Beast Boost while also getting rid of Beast Boost is a really good move, even if it does eat a turn. Overall though, it's just super niche and not something that would see much higher tier play. The lack of recovery really doesn't help, but if it had recovery then it'd be ridiculous.

At least I get a good laugh at it learning Autotomize.

Sorry if my post is ugly, it’s my first and I’m on mobile. Anyways, I have been loving TR Lonely Stakataka in OU. I found moderate opportunities to set up with him on a HypOf team even with everyone else being glaringly fast. The only problem with Stak was either to switch out when I couldn’t guarantee a KO and give my opponent more of a setup with TR benefiting them. Or stay in a get taken out before getting enough damage.

I’ve been trying to build a decent OU team with Staka and so far the Only good companions I could think off were AV Bulu and Rotom Wash. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Sorry if my post is ugly, it’s my first and I’m on mobile. Anyways, I have been loving TR Lonely Stakataka in OU. I found moderate opportunities to set up with him on a HypOf team even with everyone else being glaringly fast. The only problem with Stak was either to switch out when I couldn’t guarantee a KO and give my opponent more of a setup with TR benefiting them. Or stay in a get taken out before getting enough damage.

I’ve been trying to build a decent OU team with Staka and so far the Only good companions I could think off were AV Bulu and Rotom Wash. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Cresselia can switch into both Ground and Fighting moves very easily and can also set up Trick Room, though Stak probably prefers to set up it's own. Could also give Stakataka some much needed recovery if it's weakened already through Lunar Dance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)