Metagame STABmons

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I've been messing arround with Power Trip and I think I found a good user for it:

tyranitar.gif

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Power Trip
- Diamond Storm
- Earthquake/Filler of choice

Ever wished a good Calm Mind Stored Power sweeper? Here's a variant of it. Dragon Dance offers speed instead of bulk (Which Sandstorm already gives anyways) and raises the base power with +40 every time. After two DDances, Power Trip is already 100 BP. If that isn't enough, you also have Diamond Storm with a 50% chance of raising your defense by two stages (And raising the Base Power by 40). The other move is mostly a filler, I chose EQuake for Steel types.

+2 252+ Atk Tyranitar Power Trip (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celesteela: 357-421 (59.6 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Tyranitar Power Trip (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 1137-1338 (161.5 - 190%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Tyranitar Power Trip (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 486-573 (69 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
+1 252+ Atk Tyranitar Diamond Storm vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 300-354 (89 - 105%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

We've decided that for the council to ban a Pokémon, the number of pro-ban votes must exceed the number of anti-ban votes regardless of any abstain votes. This will retroactively be applied to all votes cast and apply to all future votes.

Therefore Aerodactylite is now banned.

Tagging The Immortal
welp there goes the boom
but srsly that thing was 2stronk, those brave birds really killed everything that head smash and eq didnt already take care of. have fun in STABmons Ubers, m-aero

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
The problem with banning memories is that it eliminates multi-attack as an option on a number of mons. What else am I going to use if I want Flying coverage on my Diggersby?

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ok, thats my point. we have judgment as the example from last gen. arceus is banned but the plates are still legal. sylvally ghost might get banned, but mons other than sylvally should still be able to use ghost drive, there is no reason they wouldn't.

EV

Banned deucer.
The problem with banning memories is that it eliminates multi-attack as an option on a number of mons. What else am I going to use if I want Flying coverage on my Diggersby?
ok, thats my point. we have judgment as the example from last gen. arceus is banned but the plates are still legal. sylvally ghost might get banned, but mons other than sylvally should still be able to use ghost drive, there is no reason they wouldn't.
Yeah I wouldn't ban the Memories, I'd just ban that specific forme.

EV

Banned deucer.
RIP ladder. While we wait for its reinstatement, here's something cool I thunk up. In an effort to stop ripping off Betathunder , I present:

Silvally @ Normalium Z
Ability: RKS System
(EVs depend on set)
(So does Nature)
- X FACTOR
- Conversion
- Boss Coverage Move
- Boss Recovery / Utility Move

If my X FACTOR is Moongeist Beam, Silvally turns into Ghost. If it's Oblivion Wing, you get Flying, etc. So why use this over a standard Memory + QD set? The kicker is the +1 in every stat, thus making this strategy friendlier to physical or even mixed builds. Why use this over PZ or whatever? Because Silvally gets every fucking move, so be smart.

Another. While ToT Hoopa-U is pretty powerful and scary, it's revenged kinda easily thanks to that low Defense (made even lower on mixed StoredTrip sets) and weakness to Pixispeed. Now try this, which is immune to common FakeSpeed attempts:

Hoopa @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Magician
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick-or-Treat
- Moongeist Beam
- Stored Power / Psystrike
- Focus Blast (does it learn this?) / Filler

Ghosts in general are really good this gen!

RIP ladder. While we wait for its reinstatement, here's something cool I thunk up. In an effort to stop ripping off Betathunder , I present:

Silvally @ Normalium Z
(EVs depend on set)
(So does Nature)
- X FACTOR
- Conversion
- Boss Coverage Move
- Boss Recovery / Utility Move

If my X FACTOR is Moongeist Beam, Silvally turns into Ghost. If it's Oblivion Wing, you get Flying, etc. So why use this over a standard Memory + QD set? The kicker is the +1 in every stat, thus making this strategy friendlier to physical or even mixed builds. Why use this over PZ or whatever? Because Silvally gets every fucking move, so be smart.
...I would like to use this time to give a little PSA regarding that Sivally set...

Sadly, RKS System blocks all forms of type-changing. Hence, you're stuck as a Normal type with that set no matter what. I know because I tried a similar set with Oblivion Wing instead of Moongiest Beam earlier on. But Oblivion Wing Quiver Dance or Tail Glow sets are still really good...

Basically, in creative hands, Sivally is rather terrifying, serving as a far superior Smeargle.

That Hoopa set looks very promising, though, especially when its unconfined form will (eventually) be proven to be too powerful thanks to Z-moves...

Also, another Sivally set that might be worth looking at, if a bit unoptimized...

Silvally @ Steel Memory
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD OR 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Nature: Impish OR Careful
- Anchor Shot
- Beak Blast/Sacred Fire
- Coil/Haze/Icicle Crash
- Shore Up

Basically a Sivally meant to lure in physical attackers and then burn them with Beak Blast. From there, you can proceed to set up yourself or simply prevent them from doing the same to you. Icicle Crash is slashed in case you lure in a Garchomp or a Landorus, and don't feel like trapping them at all, and just want them out of your way.

EDIT: Knew I was forgetting something. Now you can be a wincon without being slow as sin. Sacred Fire's also slashed in for a burn chance, but is not quite as consistent, and has less PP.

Last edited:
struggling with fakespeed? try this big bug out!

butterfly (buzzwole) | leftovers
beast boost | 44 hp / 188 atk / 164 def / 112 spe | impish
roost | u-turn | drain punch | earthquake

buzzwole is pretty sick. already super good in ou, and arguably just as good if not better in stabmons. with a new found tool in u-turn + drain punch, buzzwole no longer needs subpunch. drain punch, along with its blisteringly high bulk and u-turn for momentum, buzzwole is set. with this ev spread, buzzwole has enough speed to outspeed rotom-w and outstanding defensive investment. unfortunately, no attack boost will come from beast boost. that's pretty fine imo since it is being used as a solid tank for pivoting. the investment lets it avoid a 2hko from 252+ cb diggersby's espeed. that's how you know it's bulky. some other nice hits it takes like a champ including kartana's gear grind (doesn't 2hko, even after srock), living its +2, and avoiding a 2hko from +1 if using drain punch on the turn it strikes; completely walls tyranitar 100% of the time; it can completely tank cb wood hammers from bulu though it needs to be careful with play rough (it lives it, though); walls mimikyu for what that's worth; etc, etc. its physical bulk is absolutely outstanding and it gets to +1 if it kills anything, so that's pretty cute. here's the cutest calc:

252+ atk
huge power
extreme speed vs. 44 hp / 164+ def
: 190-225 (41.8 - 49.4%) -- 19.9% guaranteed 3hko

so it does love being paired with voltturn, generally on bulkier/offensivish teams, since it does hold large offensive presence and is no slouch in that department. koko, landorus-t, magearna, greninja, etc are examples of partners who appreciate diggersby walling and can keep momentum up through their respective switching moves. porygon2 is a cute partner as well and is nice if you use download, since +1 atk buzzwole is really threatening to a lot of teams. bring checks for lele, such as celesteela, silvally, heatran; landorus-t, such as fini, other water-types, and ice-types; heatran (since it outspeeds), such as a water- or ground-type. then, you should be golden! i personally love a tapu koko + buzzwole set. they wear down each other's checks, namely ground-types, and buzzwole can actually outspeed and eq the a-marowak's that switch in.

if you're not too keen on using defensivish buzzwole, then i'd recommend a choice band set consisting of mach punch/u-turn/earthquake|ice punch/close combat, or a subroost set with leech life and focus punch akin to ou. maybe even a bulk up set, or a set running taunt, since that seems cool, too. stone edge, thunder punch, ice punch, and low kick are cool options. the first three for coverage, and the latter for a strong fighting-type move against heavy opponents, though a tad inconsistent for my taste. also, if you'd like to be super hipster and innovative, run a choice scarf set to take even larger advantage of beast boost while outspeeding a lot of the metagame. buzzwole has a very expansive movepool and it is larger by virtue of its typing, giving it access to first impression if you're into that, and quiver dance to patch up its poor spd and give it a nice speed boost, though i wouldn't recommend ever running special buzzwole for that is a waste of its potential imo. up to you, though!

so yeah, give it a try! buzzwole is really awesome and you won't be disappointed. :)

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
...I would like to use this time to give a little PSA regarding that Sivally set...

Sadly, RKS System blocks all forms of type-changing. Hence, you're stuck as a Normal type with that set no matter what. I know because I tried a similar set with Oblivion Wing instead of Moongiest Beam earlier on. But Oblivion Wing Quiver Dance or Tail Glow sets are still really good...

Basically, in creative hands, Sivally is rather terrifying, serving as a far superior Smeargle.

That Hoopa set looks very promising, though, especially when its unconfined form will (eventually) be proven to be too powerful thanks to Z-moves...

Also, another Sivally set that might be worth looking at, if a bit unoptimized...

Silvally @ Steel Memory
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD OR 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Nature: Impish OR Careful
- Anchor Shot
- Beak Blast
- Curse/Haze/Icicle Crash
- Shore Up

Basically a Sivally meant to lure in physical attackers and then burn them with Beak Blast. From there, you can proceed to set up yourself or simply prevent them from doing the same to you. Icicle Crash is slashed in case you lure in a Garchomp or a Landorus, and don't feel like trapping them at all, and just want them out of your way.
Why are you running Curse over Coil? Or even just Bulk Up if you're not running any moves of less than 100 accuracy and are more afraid of Topsy-Turvy than of accuracy lowering. Is there a reason you want to be slow?

I've been trying out STABmons 1v1 a bit recently, and 've found it very interesting. Fakespeed isn't nearly as prevalent, and instead you get to see the massive soulcrushing wallbreakers of the meta at their finest. Some of the classics are of course; Charizard is a mainstay in both 1v1 in stabmons, and Zard-X's V-Create hits really hard. Anything slower than Kartana basically gets slept and then KO'd (unless you're InfernapeTropius11 and ru Safety Goggles Gallade or something). Z Moves are even better than in standard because everything has those high bp moves.

If you see me around and my wifi isnt awful challenge me to a game or two, nobody seems to want to play :'(

Why are you running Curse over Coil? Or even just Bulk Up if you're not running any moves of less than 100 accuracy and are more afraid of Topsy-Turvy than of accuracy lowering. Is there a reason you want to be slow?

I've been trying out STABmons 1v1 a bit recently, and 've found it very interesting. Fakespeed isn't nearly as prevalent, and instead you get to see the massive soulcrushing wallbreakers of the meta at their finest. Some of the classics are of course; Charizard is a mainstay in both 1v1 in stabmons, and Zard-X's V-Create hits really hard. Anything slower than Kartana basically gets slept and then KO'd (unless you're InfernapeTropius11 and ru Safety Goggles Gallade or something). Z Moves are even better than in standard because everything has those high bp moves.

If you see me around and my wifi isnt awful challenge me to a game or two, nobody seems to want to play :'(
Typing things very late at night makes information prone to being excluded. In this case, it was the boosting moves. I edited the Sivally set to be pretty optimized now; EVs and nature are still open, depending on what needs to be walled the most.

1v1 does seem interesting... and also prone to Sivally being a massive butt with Imprisonform, for the more defensive matchups. It seems rather rare that there would be terribly much defense to even break with all of the offense flying around. (Which means Sivally needs to handle wallbreakers in the first place)

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
So Special setup Silvally sets have been the most popular for a good reason thanks to Stuff like Quiver Dance + Moongeist Beam or Oblivion Wing being so strong, but for the last couple of days before we lost our ladder, I had been trying out a physical setup Silvally set that actually had pulled a lot of work in for me:

Silvally-Ghost @ Ghost Memory
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- High Jump Kick
- Dragon Dance
- Shore Up

I really like this set as it actually does not care about Transform Chansey and Ghost + Fighting coverage works so well together. Quiver Dance Ghost Silvally is obviously still better, but at least this set has a surprise factor since people always expect it to be special.

Also yeh russian hackers got rid of our ladder....

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So Special setup Silvally sets have been the most popular for a good reason thanks to Stuff like Quiver Dance + Moongeist Beam or Oblivion Wing being so strong, but for the last couple of days before we lost our ladder, I had been trying out a physical setup Silvally set that actually had pulled a lot of work in for me:

Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- High Jump Kick
- Dragon Dance
- Shore Up

I really like this set as it actually does not care about Transform Chansey and Ghost + Fighting coverage works so well together. Quiver Dance Ghost Silvally is obviously still better, but at least this set has a surprise factor since people always expect it to be special.

Any reason you use DD and not Shift Gear ? Literally DD except it's +2 speed

Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- High Jump Kick
- Dragon Dance
- Shore Up

Why High Jump Kick? Why not more consistent Fighting coverage, like Close Combat or even Sacred Sword?
Also, as Arikado said, why Dragon Dance instead of Shift Gear?
Edit: Shift Gear is banned iirc, but still, why HJK over CC or SS?

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
Isnt Shift Gear banned?
Bans: OU banlist +
  • [Pokemon] N/A
  • [Items] King's Rock, Razor Fang, Aerodactylite, Metagrossite
  • [Moves*] Acupressure, Belly Drum, Chatter, Geomancy, Shell Smash, Shift Gear, Thousand Arrows
Also IMO run Drain Punch or Close Combat. Otherwise seems like a neat set and I might try it out. Silvally is a bit too flexible IMO.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Since ladder is dead, I'll post a set that is more fun than viable, although it isn't complete trash.

Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Autotomize
- Mirror Move
- Dragon Ascent / Heavy Slam
- Earthquake / Heavy Slam

At its core, this is a pretty simple Double Dance set - for those not in the know, Z-Mirror Move gives you +2 attack, making it basically a Swords Dance. Another factor of Z-Mirror Move is that the move that it Mirror Moves will become the Z-move version. This mean, for example, if you switch into an Extreme Speed and you use Z-Mirror Move, you'll hit them with a Breakneck Blitz after getting +2 attack. This is probably why I love using this set so much, although unlike normal Mirror Move you're not that sad if they switch out, as when it whiffs its still a Swords Dance. The last two moves get really good coverage together, so it makes sense to use them, seeing that you only get 2 attacking moves. Heavy Slam can be used somewhere due to its power and no drawback, but it has worse coverage than DA + Earthquake. While it might not be the best set in a long mile, there is a satisfaction of using Devastating Drake or Twinkle Tackle with something that shouldn't be able to do so.

EV

Banned deucer.
Since ladder is dead, I'll post a set that is more fun than viable, although it isn't complete trash.

Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Autotomize
- Mirror Move
- Dragon Ascent / Heavy Slam
- Earthquake / Heavy Slam

At its core, this is a pretty simple Double Dance set - for those not in the know, Z-Mirror Move gives you +2 attack, making it basically a Swords Dance. Another factor of Z-Mirror Move is that the move that it Mirror Moves will become the Z-move version. This mean, for example, if you switch into an Extreme Speed and you use Z-Mirror Move, you'll hit them with a Breakneck Blitz after getting +2 attack. This is probably why I love using this set so much, although unlike normal Mirror Move you're not that sad if they switch out, as when it whiffs its still a Swords Dance. The last two moves get really good coverage together, so it makes sense to use them, seeing that you only get 2 attacking moves. Heavy Slam can be used somewhere due to its power and no drawback, but it has worse coverage than DA + Earthquake. While it might not be the best set in a long mile, there is a satisfaction of using Devastating Drake or Twinkle Tackle with something that shouldn't be able to do so.
I ran this but on Prankster Thundurus instead. I prefer the Speed and power over bulk myself.

Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- High Jump Kick
- Dragon Dance
- Shore Up

On that DD Silvally set, I've done Ghost Memory w/ Coil / Shadow Bone / HJK / Shore Up or Strength Sap. Similar idea but you trade speed for bulk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)