Metagame STABmons

Funbot28

Banned deucer.

Art by EV

STABmons
STABmons is the metagame where Pokemon have access to moves that match their type even if they can't normally learn them! Using Eevee as an example, it can now learn every Normal type move. This also applies to Pokemon that change type(s) during evolution. That means Eevee can pass Normal moves to all its Eeveelutions. New moves are "taught" as if they were TMs.

Rules:

Mechanic
: Pokemon can learn any move that matches their typing. This transfers with evolutions, so if a Normal-type evolves into a Psychic-type in the game, you can teach the Psychic-type Pokemon any Psychic and Normal moves.
Clauses: OU clauses
Bans: OU banlist + the following [reasoning in brackets]
  • [Pokemon]
    • Aerodactyl [1]
    • Araquanid [1]
    • Blacephalon
    • Kartana [1 / 2 + next few]
    • Komala [1]
    • Kyurem-Black [1]
    • Porygon-Z
    • Silvally [1]
    • Tapu Koko [1]
    • Tapu Lele [1 / 2]
    • Thundurus [1]
  • [Items]
    • King's Rock
    • Razor Fang
    • Aerodactylite [1 / 2]
  • [Moves*]
    • Acupressure [1]
    • Belly Drum [1]
    • Chatter
    • Extreme Speed [1 / 2]
    • Geomancy
    • Lovely Kiss [1]
    • Shell Smash
    • Shift Gear
    • Spore
    • Thousand Arrows [1 / 2]
*still available on native learners.

Unbans: None

Strategy:

Because a lot of Pokémon can learn powerful new attacks that they previously couldn't use, STABmons is can be a fast-paced metagame. Examples of strong wallbreakers include Water Spout Keldeo, V-create Mega Charizard X, and Boomburst Sylveon. Setup is also very common. Dragon Dance Garchomp, Tail Glow Yanmega, and Z-Trick-or-Treat Hoopa-U are good examples of Pokemon that can abuse setup moves.

However, many Pokémon also get defensive or utility-based upgrades. For instance, Celesteela can now Roost its health back, Defog away hazards, and burn physical attackers with Beak Blast, and Ferrothorn can Sap Strength, and Anchor Shot. This means that many fatter or more balanced archetypes are still extremely viable.

Q&A:

Q
: Do Mega Pokemon transfer types to their base form? For example, can I transfer Dark moves from Mega Gyarados to regular Gyarados?
A: No, any new moves must be "taught" outside of battle like a TM. Gyarados is only ever Water/Flying outside of battle so it cannot get access to Dark moves.

Q: What about forme changes?
A: Similarly to how megas work, any forme changes that happen during battle won't transfer moves. Castform is a good example of this, as it only changes type with the ability Forecast while in effect during a battle. Any forme changes that happen outside battle will transfer types, with a few exceptions. See the Forme Type Changes tag below for the full list.

Q: Do Alola formes trade types with their normal counterparts (e.g. can Alola Ninetales learn all Fire, Ice, and Fairy moves)?
A: No. (There are a few Alola formes that evolve from non-Alola Pokemon and carry over their old type. See the Evolution Type Changes tag.)

Q: What about unreleased moves such as Light of Ruin?
A: Only released moves are available.

Q: Why can't my Dark-type Tyranitar use Hyperspace Fury or Dark Void?
A: Hyperspace Fury is coded to only work on Hoopa-U and Dark Void is coded to only work on Darkrai. STABmons only changes the access to new moves, it doesn't change how their coding works.

Q: Can Chatot still use Chatter even though that move is banned?
A: Yep! The banned moves only apply to Pokemon that don't normally learn them.

Q: Can I teach Bloom Doom, a Z-move, to my Grass-type?
A: No. Z-moves are only available at the time of use with a Z-crystal and thus cannot be "taught" outside of battle.

Q: Why was X banned?
A: Check the links above in the banlist for reasons (where you can find them).

Resources:

Playability:
STABmons is playable on the main PS server or ROM.

Council: Betathunder Funbot28 Official Fissure Eevee General wishes

Viability Rankings: Post #2

Sample Teams:

Thundurus Rain by Funbot28

Mega Charizard-X Bulky Offense by Funbot28

Mega Altaria Sand Balance by Jrdn and Funbot28

Mega Latias Balance by Catalystic and aesf
Sample Sets: Here

Role Compendium: Here (under maintenance)

Evolution Type Changes:
->
Grass & Poison
->
Ground, Steel, & Rock
->
Bug, Steel, & Flying
->
Corresponding type & Normal
->
Water, Fairy, & Normal
->
Rock, Dark, & Ground
->
Bug, Flying, & Water
->
Psychic, Fighting & Fairy
->
Bug, Flying, & Ground or
Bug, Ghost, & Ground
->
Dragon, Flying, & Normal
->
Dark, Poison, & Bug
->
Fire, Flying, & Normal
->
Dragon, Poison, & Water
->
Grass, Ghost, & Flying
->
Fire, Ghost, & Ground
->
Grass, Dragon, & Psychic
Forme Type Changes:
<->
Grass & Flying are interchangeable since forme change happens outside battle via the Gracidea.

<->
Psychic, Ghost, & Dark are interchangeable since forme change happens outside of battle via the Prison Bottle.

Flying, Fire, Electric, Psychic, & Ghost are interchangeable between the Oricorio formes because Oricorio changes type depending on the Nectar you give it.

Every type is available to Silvally due to its ability RKS System. Silvally is, however, banned.

Psychic, Steel, and Ghost are available to Necrozma via forme change with the N-Solarizer and N-Lunarizer items.

Ghost, Electric, Water, Fire, Flying, Grass, & Ice are interchangeable between the Rotom formes. Last generation we had a special rule that prevented types from swapping but it felt arbitrary to include it when other formes can trade types so it was reversed.

What doesn't apply:

Kyurem can also change formes outside of battle, but it stays the same type when it changes, thus it can't carry over Fire and Electric moves from Reshiram and Zekrom respectively.

The following Pokémon change only during battle and thus don't transfer types according to the rules of STABmons:
Castform, Meloetta, Darmanitan, all Mega formes.

Last edited:

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
STABMONS VIABILITY RANKING

S RANK

Landorus-T
Rotom-W

A RANK
A+

Celesteela
Greninja-Ash
Lopunny-Mega
Medicham-Mega
Terrakion
Thundurus-T
Tyranitar

A

Chansey
Ferrothorn
Greninja
Heatran
Keldeo
Pidgeot-Mega
Rotom-H

A-
Alakazam-Mega
Charizard-Mega-X
Charizard-Mega-Y
Magearna
Swampert-Mega
Sylveon
Tangrowth
Tapu Fini
Toxapex
Tyranitar-Mega

B RANK

B+

Diancie-Mega
Garchomp
Gengar
Gliscor
Latias-Mega
Latios
Magnezone
Mawile-Mega
Meloetta
Pelipper
Scizor-Mega
Serperior
Slowbro
Slowbro-Mega
Tapu Bulu
Tornadus-T

B

Altaria-Mega
Barbaracle
Beedrill-Mega
Buzzwole
Chandelure
Dragonite
Excadrill
Gyarados
Gyarados-Mega
Hoopa-U
Manaphy
Marowak-A
Mimikyu
Sableye-Mega
Scizor
Slowking
Venusaur-Mega

B-

Azumarill
Kommo
Manectric-Mega
Porygon2
Rotom-C
Salamence
Seismitoad
Yanmega

C RANK
C+
Jolteon
Kabutops
Kingdra
Quagsire
Sableye
Steelix-Mega

C
Accelgor
Doublade
Mudsdale
Ninjask
Shedinja
Steelix
Volcorona

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.
STABmons Frontier

closed

Welcome to the 3rd installment of OM's most famous frontier, the STABmons Frontier! The rules are simple: challenge each of the Frontier Brains to a STABmons battle. Once you defeat the first brain, move on to brain #2. If you can defeat all five of us in order without losing, you become the STABmons Champion!

If there is a sitting Champion, you then challenge them to a Bof3 match. If you win, you become the new reigning champion!

• Matches are Bof1 in the current STABmons format/banlist. If the format hasn't updated yet but something is supposed to be banned, the player using the banned element forfeits the match.
  • You must wait 24 hours to re-challenge the frontier after losing
  • Tag the brain you're challenging in this thread and post the results afterward.

Brain #1

Official Fissure
Record (3 - 4)

Brain #2

Funbot28
Record (1 - 4)

Brain #3

ihhca (Virginia != Virgin on PS)
Record (1 - 2)

Brain #4

Eevee General
Record (2 - )

Brain #5

Akashi (Jeran on PS)
Record ( - )

STABmons Champion!: vacant
Hall of Fame:

Retired Brains:
- Betathunder

Last edited:

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Yay this thread is finally up :) Will leave my opinions on the new mons:

silvally.gif

This thing will be insane.... If I understand correctly, it could learn every move in the game due to the fact that it could change into any type outside of battle. This means Silvally will be incredibly versatile within its sets making it almost impossible to predict what moves it is running exactly. Its base 95 stats across the board also help it perform a variety of different roles as well as it gives it respectable offenses and great bulk. Here are a few sample sets I could see being run:

Silvally-Ghost @ Ghost Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Spirit Shackle / Multi Attack / Shadow Bone
- Sacred Sword
- Shift Gear / Swords Dance

Basically a pseudo-Ghost extreme killer Arceus, this forme will be great as it allows Silvally to be immune to revenge killing in the form of FakeSpeed and allows it to setup and sweep quite easily.

Silvally-Fairy @ Fairy Memory
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Shore Up

Like defensive Fairceus in Ubers, bulky Fairy Silvally will also be great as a hazard remover due to it possessing phenomenal defensive typing. Its also very bulky with 95/95/95 defenses and I feel will be great on balance and maybe some stall teams.

There are many more sets you can run obviously, but these are the two I have been thinking of so far. This thing will be nuts...

celesteela.gif

Another great mon that really benefits from the access of new moves from STABmons, Celesteela will also be really good in my opinion. It has well rounded stats besides its mediocre speed and possesses amazing Steel/Flying typing alongside an already great natural movepool, also Beast Boost lets it keep gaining boosts from its moost proficient stat which is also very nice. Here are some sample sets:

Celesteela @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Heavy Slam
- Roost / Earthquake / Flamethrower
- Shift Gear

Shift Gear Mega Zor 2.0, even though this thing has pretty low speed to be a sweeper, Shift Gear sets really could push it to be one. Steel/Flying is great offensive neutral coverage only being walled by Heatran and Skarmory mainly (in which it could run appropriate coverage to counter them). Beast Boost even gives it more boosts when it KOs a mon which is also pretty insane for it.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 104 Def / 160 SpD
Calm Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Flamethrower
- Roost / Leech Seed
- King's Shield

This set allows it to be a nice special tank since it resists many good offensive special typings such as Fairy, Grass, and Normal. Oblivion Wing allows it to sustain itself for much longer as well and it rounds off its coverage with Flamethrower. Could see this set being run to counter normal spam (aka Diggersby...).

bewear.gif

Due to the absence of Mega Lopunny, Bewear has the chance to be the prime Normal/Fighting wallbreaker (although it does not have Scrappy...). Eevee General was talking about some Belly Drum sets which I honestly believe will be great for it due to it possessing great HP and a nice Fur Coat esque ability which gives it more opportunities to setup. Here is the set I can see:

Bewear @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 92 HP / 248 Atk / 168 Spe
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Drain Punch
- Brutal Swing

tapulele.gif

This thing will be so busted dear lord... Geomancy sets under Psychic Terrain will be absolutely terrifying to face due to it blocking priority which is so crazy. After a +2, Psychic moves from this thing will likely KO everything lol. Iirc, Psytrike KOs Defensive Chansey lol. Here is the set:

Tapu Lele @ Power Herb
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psystrike
- Moonblast
- Geomancy
- Focus Blast / Shadow Ball

Gen 7 STABmons will definitely be interesting this gen, especially with the unbans (rip Mega Alt tho...)

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
no more gengar (Diggersby) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Extreme Speed
- Fake Out / Return
- Thousand Arrows

You might be saying right now, wait a moment The Ruins of Alpha, wasn't priority nerfed this generation? Doesn't Tapu Lele switch in easily on either of it's normal moves? But then you remember that Thousand Arrows is broken and hits everything so why even bother running Return. I see this thing heading back to the banlist where it belongs. I called it no more Gengar because RIP Levitate.

Shell Smash also needs to go soon enough, but Diggersby is definitely borked.

CHECKS AND COUNTERS:
Gourgeist
Celesteela / Skarmory
Fake Out
Zygarde (Can take a +2 Espeed or Thousand Arrows and Dragon Tail it out)

THE TEETH (Mawile) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Sunsteel Strike
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Why is Huge Power so broken? Like seriously. Mawile got a new STAB move this generation, but otherwise should play about the same. In other words: horribly broken. Shift Gear might be the culprit here actually, see the set below.

Kartana @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Sunsteel Strike
- Power Whip
- Sacred Sword

or Mega Metagross, or Mega Scizor... the resistance to basically all relevant priority combined with insane boosting makes them very difficult to revenge, and Sunsteel Strike means Unaware is no longer a reliable answer (although Quagsire and Pyukumuku do resist it... I wouldn't use them to check Kartana at least... also who runs Unaware in Stabmons). So maybe:

GAN BHIFT SEAR

Checks and Counters:
Fire types that don't mind Knock Off.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Band
Ability: Electric Surge
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Play Rough
- U-turn
- Brave Bird

Electric terrain Bolt Strike hits like a truck. Play Rough is the longed for Fairy STAB. U-turn is momentum. Brave Bird... hits Grass / Poison types? Is filler I guess.

+1 252 Atk Choice Band Tapu Koko Bolt Strike vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 436-514 (127.8 - 150.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I wish the terrains were in the damage calculator... still look at that damage.

Checks and Counters:
Steelix
Ground types

Araquanid @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- U-turn
- Crabhammer
- Poison Jab

Crabhammer when they switch expecting the Aqua Jet... unless they switch to an immunity.
+2 252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 357-421 (104.6 - 123.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Checks and Counters:
Volcanion
Extremespeed
Fast Water resists

EDIT: Okay watched a couple more battles and a LOT of things are horribly broken right now.

Tapu Lele (with Geomancy, so if Geomancy is banned it probably deserves a shot)
Diggersby
Kyu-b
Aegislash
Thousand Arrows + Shore Up Mega Garchomp
... and I'm sure there are many more. This is going to be... interesting

Last edited:
Sorry if this is too early, but I think Kyurem-Black needs to be quickbanned

Kyurem-Black @ Lum Berry
Ability: Teravolt
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash/Ice Hammer
- Dragon Hammer
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Dance
Now in generation 7, Kyurem-Black is now much more broken. Dragon Hammer gives a much stronger and reliable option over dragon claw and outrage. Icicle Crash is the more optimal Ice STAB, but Ice Hammer is useful when you don't care about losing speed. Fusion Bolt is a great coverage move and goes with the Ice STAB of choice. And lastly, Dragon Dance is used to boost it's attack and speed to immense levels.

:)

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Ground types got a huge buff with shore up as reliable recovery and 1k arrows. Ttar comes from ground types so it will be insanely good with 66% recovery.
Ghost types enjoy the new moves on both the physical and special sides.
Dragon types have stronger stabs on both sides of the spectrum
Sunsteel Strike is a more accurate gear grind now (but scizor still wants gear grind ofc)
And finally I'm gonna have fun using cosmoem now that it has a movepool :D it probably still sucks but we'll see.
EDIT: Tapu Koko can now go full physical too, let's do that. Bolt strike is gonna hit like a truck

EV

Banned deucer.
I don't know if there's a ladder anywhere yet but we've been playing by custom battle on main.
With custom you have to work off Gen 6 mechanics (unless TI added a Gen 7 custom). You can play on Gen 7 BH as long as you don't have Huge/Pure Power or break the ability clause. There could be other snares too but those are the two that trip me up usually.
Sorry if this is too early, but I think Kyurem-Black needs to be quickbanned

Kyurem-Black @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash/Ice Hammer
- Dragon Hammer
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Dance
Now in generation 7, Kyurem-Black is now much more broken. Dragon Hammer gives a much stronger and reliable option over dragon claw and outrage. Icicle Crash is the more optimal Ice STAB, but Ice Hammer is useful when you don't care about losing speed. Fusion Bolt is a great coverage move and goes with the Ice STAB of choice. And lastly, Dragon Dance is used to boost it's attack and speed to immense levels.

:)
There are so so so many other bigger fish to fry than Kyurem-B atm.

Guys, also note there are 3 new evolution type changes to be aware of: Decidueye, Alola Marowak, and Alola Exeggutor. Marowak is the real winner here with access to Shore Up via Cubone. Fire / Ghost typing and an immunity to Electric thanks to Lightning Rod makes it a superb check to FakeSpeeders, Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu, Mega Scizor, Pheromosa, Genesect, Heatran, etc etc.

There are also new forme type changes: Silvally, Oricorio, and Rotom. Everyone's already hyped over Silvally so I won't go into detail now but you may be wondering why I listed Rotom. Last gen we had a rule that blocked type exchanges between Rotom formes because Rotom will "forget" its signature moves when turning back to its base forme. We decided it was too arbitrary to restrict Rotom but to allow other changes, however, because you could argue that Silvally requires its Memory to retain other moves and that Oricorio's Revelation Dance changing type is what defines those formes and try to twist some logic out of it all. So now it's just a blanket rule: if the Pokemon changes type outside of battle, it will gain access to those moves.

This gives Rotom a huge boon. Rotom-W can now run Blue Flare to punish the Grass switch-ins such as Ferrothorn or Celebi or add Roost to its moveset to give it longevity. Rotom-H and Rotom-F also appreciate reliable recovery because they have unique typings with a bunch of important resistances. Rotom-F, for example, makes a nice Thundurus check if it lacks Focus Blast and can retaliate with a SE Ice Beam. Either way the Rotoms are sure to shake up the metagame from how we remember them last gen. What new moves do you plan to run on them?

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Here is a lameass team I slapped together last minute feat a very potent core in the future... DuggyLele!!

STABersby (Diggersby) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 136 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Fake Out

Ban Quickly (Dugtrio) @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Spikes
- Precipice Blades
- Memento

Cancer (Tapu Lele) @ Power Herb
EVs: 252 SpA / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Psystrike
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Blue Flare
- Oblivion Wing
- Solar Beam

WALLZ?!? (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Shard
- Dragon Hammer
- Icicle Crash

Ears (Meloetta) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Psystrike
- Rapid Spin
- Lunar Dance

Basically it relies on Terrific Wallbreakers in Kyurem-B x Char-Y to shred apart defensive cores, and Dugtrio eliminating certain threats in preoaration for a Tapu Lele sweep.

Skarmory @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Beak Blast
- Whirlwind

Basically the standard Defensive Skarmory set, but with Beak Blast over Brave Bird. Skarmory won't be outspeeding much anyway, and the burn from Beak Blast punishes physical attackers (except Fire types and Guts users) who dare to touch it.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Psychic Fangs
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch

You give up Meteor Mash's chance of an Attack raise for better power, more accuracy, and bypassing abilities like Sturdy or Disguise.

Psychic Fangs is a straight upgrade over Zen Headbutt, having more power, accuracy, and breaking Light Screen and Reflect.

Last edited:
HERE COMES THE BOOM (Kartana) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance / Shift Gear
- Bullet Punch / Sunsteel Strike
- Power Whip / Wood Hammer
- Sacred Sword

Run Sunsteel Strike with Shift Gear or BP with SD. If you run Sunsteel Strike, you beat Clefable but lose to Sableye, while Bullet Punch beats Sableye and loses to Clefable.

252 Atk Life Orb Kartana Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Clefable: 286-339 (72.5 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Kartana Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Clefable: 195-229 (49.4 - 58.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Wait nevermind run Bullet Punch all the time

This thing is fucking broken.

Like, 2HKO's Aegislash with a +1 resisted STAB broken.
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Kartana Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 172-203 (53 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Like, 2HKO's Skarm with a +1 NON-STAB broken.
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 248 HP / 236+ Def Skarmory: 140-166 (42 - 49.8%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Like, COMFORTABLY TAKES THE MOST POWERFUL FAKESPEED IN THE GAME BROKEN.
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Adaptability Gumshoos Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kartana: 41-49 (15.8 - 18.9%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Adaptability Gumshoos Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kartana: 81-96 (31.2 - 37%) -- 80.1% chance to 3HKO

Like, TANKS THE SHIT OUT OF STAB SUPER EFFECTIVE TECHNICIAN BRELOOM MACH PUNCH AND OHKOS IN RETURN BROKEN.
252 Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kartana: 156-186 (60.2 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 295-348 (113 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Like, DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT CELESTEELA BROKEN.
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celesteela: 239-282 (60 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

OR TOXAPEX.
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Kartana Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 263-309 (86.5 - 101.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

OR EVEN PHYSICALLY DEFENSIVE FUCKING ZAPDOS, WHICH NEVER GETS RUN.
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Kartana Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 196-231 (51 - 60.1%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

JESUS CHRIST.
#bantheshitoutofkartana

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
hi

screw landot (Bibarel) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Simple
Jolly Nature
- Celebrate / Splash
- Extreme Speed
- Aqua Jet
- Liquidation / Swords Dance

tbh Espeon is probably better and can run this in OU (Togekiss) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Super Luck
Modest Nature
- Stored Power
- Conversion
- Moonblast
- Nasty Plot / Roost

I don't rly play STABs so I didn't bother optimising EVs or anything like that. Geomancy/Shell Smash are possibly better but I'm expecting those to eventually get banned, so

So, moves like Celebrate, Hold Hands, etc, give +1 boosts across the board when you use their Z-move. Splash is a physical Tail Glow. There must be something fun we can do with these, right? Thank god for BP Clause holy shit

ULTRA BEAST ANALYSIS
So Gen 7 introduced seven new Ultra Beasts, each of which gained something from STABmons. Whether they gained much, it depends. Here I'm going to analyze them, check out their gains, and see whether they can compete in STABmons!

Nihilego is... well... pretty terrible in standard. What does it gain in STABmons? Almost jack shit. However, it does gain one important move: Z-Purify. For those who don't know, Z-Purify gives you +1 in every stat, allowing you to make a set that looks something like this:

hot shit (Nihilego) @ Poisonium Z
Timid Nature
- Purify
- Power Gem
- Dazzling Gleam / Sludge Bomb / Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

Its coverage still sucks. In general, Nihilego still sucks. Don't use it.

Pheromosa is broken as shit in standard, but it doesn't really get much in STABmons. Its biggest gains were A), priority on both sides in Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave, and B), more accurate fighting STAB on both sides with Aura Sphere and Close Combat. Tail Glow would be big if it wasn't too frail to set up. You can run something like this if you like setup, though.

set me up daddy (Pheromosa) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Bug Buzz
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam

Or, if you're actually smart about your Pheromosa, you can run this.

actually good (Pheromosa) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe OR 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat / High Jump Kick (if you have big balls) / Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam
- Bug STAB / filler

Buzzwole may not have gotten a lot of moves from STABmons, but what it did get is spectacular for it. Drain Punch, U-turn, Close Combat, and especially MACH PUNCH are huge for this thing. It can run AV, Bulk Up, Band, or even Scarf! It's bulky enough to tank priority, and it can wreck Normals back with Fighting STAB. Slow U-turn is also incredible. Possible sets include...

Assault Vest (Buzzwole) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge / Thunder Punch / Leech Life / Mach Punch

Bulk Up (Buzzwole) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Drain Punch / Leech Life
- Ice Punch / Stone Edge / Substitute

Choice Band (Buzzwole) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Ice Punch / Stone Edge
- Mach Punch / Drain Punch / Leech Life / Thunder Punch

Choice Scarf (Buzzwole) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge / Ice Punch / Mach Punch / Thunder Punch
- Stone Edge / Ice Punch / Mach Punch / Thunder Punch

Xurkitree got jack shit. Next!

Oh, boy, Celesteela got everything it ever wanted on its standard set. And by "everything it wanted" I mean Roost and Oblivion Wing. Cue the sets!

Standard Bullshit (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk unless running Heavy Slam
- Oblivion Wing
- Roost
- Flamethrower / Substitute
- Leech Seed / Flash Cannon / Heavy Slam

Assault Vest (Celesteela) @ Assault Vest
Relaxed Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Heavy Slam / Sunsteel Strike / Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake

Actually, though, if you take a look at its new movepool and its stat spread, you may find that Celesteela is more than just a bulky Skarm replacement...

WAIT WHAT IT CAN RUN SHIFT GEAR WTF I THOUGHT IT ONLY RAN BULK (Celesteela) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Shift Gear
- Sunsteel Strike / Heavy Slam / Bullet Punch
- Dragon Ascent / Brave Bird
- Earthquake

Yeah, it can even run Shift Gear. Seriously. This thing is stupid versatile. Hell, it can even be a bulky booster!

BULKY BOOSTER WTF (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Roost
- Beak Blast / Brave Bird
- Earthquake

Or a bulky Choice user!

WHY GAMEFREAK WHY (Celesteela) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sunsteel Strike / Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Brave Bird / Beak Blast / Dragon Ascent
- Bullet Punch

Y U DO DIS GF (Celesteela) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Oblivion Wing
- Fire Blast
- filler (Energy Ball, Hurricane, HP whatever)

Celesteela can do anything!

okay now i'm just putting stupid shit on this (Celesteela) @ Life Orb / Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Oblivion Wing / Brave Bird / Dragon Ascent
- Heavy Slam / Sunsteel Strike / Flash Cannon
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

can't stop won't stop (Celesteela) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe or 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Oblivion Wing / Brave Bird / Dragon Ascent
- Flash Cannon / Heavy Slam / Sunsteel Strike
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

*Almost anything.
Still, what the hell were you thinking, Game Freak?

Broken.

Broken. (Kartana) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Shift Gear / Swords Dance (if you have good enough speed control)
- Sunsteel Strike / Bullet Punch
- Sacred Sword

Also broken. (Kartana) @ Choice Band
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Sacred Sword
- Sunsteel Strike / Night Slash

Guzzlord is weird. And bad. Don't use it.

Band? Maybe? (Guzzlord) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
- Dragon Hammer
- Earthquake

Specs? Maybe? (Guzzlord) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Night Daze
- Fire Blast
- Parting Shot

Last edited:

canno

formerly The Reptile
All the Tapus are pretty good here in STABmons
Nature's Madness (Tapu Analysis)

Now that it has Play Rough and, more importantly, Bolt Strike, Tapu Koko can run rampant with a physical set. Its CM set gets a minor buff in the form of Moonblast for Fairy STABs. Outside of changing from primarily physical to special, Tapu Koko doesn't actually change all that much - it is still a fast attacker that hits hard with its Electric STAB and supports the team with sleep immunity thanks to Electric Terrain. The biggest change is the extra versatility - now that it can hit from either side of the spectrum it becomes harder to deal with, especially since it can run a Stallbreaker set due to its neat natural movepool.

All-Out Attacker (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Play Rough
- Brave Bird / Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn / Taunt

Calm Mind (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Moonblast / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt / Roost / Hidden Power [Ice]

Stallbreaker (Tapu Koko) @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Nature's Madness
- Bolt Strike

Nuzzle (Tapu Koko) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Nuzzle
- Zing Zap / Bolt Strike
- Roost
- U-Turn / Play Rough

As others have mentioned, Tapu Lele is absolutely bonkers in STABmons due to its access to Geomancy and the fact that Psystrike hits from the physical side while Moonblast hits from the special, making it difficult to deal with. Psychic Terrain is an amazing ability, boosting the power of Psychic-type moves and making it immune to priority - such as the prevalent FakeSpeed combo. However, Tapu Lele is not a one-trick pony at all - it can run a Specs or Scarf set, and even bulky CM isn't completely useless since it now has recovery.

Geomancy (Tapu Lele) @ White Herb / Fairium Z
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Stored Power / Psystrike
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast / Shadow Ball / Taunt

Choice (Tapu Lele) @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Psystrike / Psycho Boost
- Fleur Cannon / Moonblast
- Focus Blast / Shadow Ball
- Trick / Lunar Dance

Stallbreaker (Tapu Lele) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Psystrike / Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Nature's Madness

Tapu Bulu is pretty insanely strong thanks to Grassy Terrain. On the offensive side it only really got Play Rough and maybe Power Whip, but where the STABmon gains hit really hard is in the bulky set. Spore is a powerful support tool, while Strength Sap is a pretty ridiculous recovery move. It also gets a few other toys to play with such as Trop Kick and Cotton Guard, and it has other recovery moves in Moonlight and Synthesis. Grassy Terrain is also helpful for potential teammates that don't get recovery, such as Heatran and Tentacruel.

Choice Band (Tapu Bulu) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer / Power Whip
- Play Rough
- Horn Leech / Superpower
- Stone Edge

Bulky (Tapu Bulu) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spore
- Horn Leech / Power Whip / Trop Kick
- Strength Sap / Synthesis
- Play Rough / Megahorn

Bulk Up (Tapu Bulu) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Horn Leech
- Play Rough

Stallbeaker (Tapu Bulu) @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Synthesis / Spore
- Nature's Madness
- Power Whip / Horn Leech

And then there's Tapu Fini, who didn't get much but what it got was important - Moonlight is very nice on this thing, finally giving it the recovery that it wants. It also gets a few neat water moves like Water Spout and Water Shurriken for a potential Specs set, but its probably not that great. Its probably the weakest of the Tapus as a whole, but that doesn't mean it's weak at all.

Support (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
Bold Nature
- Scald / Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Defog
- Taunt

Choice (Tapu Fini) @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Modest Nature / Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Water Shuriken / Water Spout
- Fleur Cannon / Moonblast
- Ice Beam

Stallbreaker (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Modest Nature / Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonlight
- Moonblast / Steam Eruption

Last edited:
There are also new forme type changes: Silvally, Oricorio, and Rotom. Everyone's already hyped over Silvally so I won't go into detail now but you may be wondering why I listed Rotom. Last gen we had a rule that blocked type exchanges between Rotom formes because Rotom will "forget" its signature moves when turning back to its base forme. We decided it was too arbitrary to restrict Rotom but to allow other changes, however, because you could argue that Silvally requires its Memory to retain other moves and that Oricorio's Revelation Dance changing type is what defines those formes and try to twist some logic out of it all. So now it's just a blanket rule: if the Pokemon changes type outside of battle, it will gain access to those moves.

This gives Rotom a huge boon. Rotom-W can now run Blue Flare to punish the Grass switch-ins such as Ferrothorn or Celebi or add Roost to its moveset to give it longevity. Rotom-H and Rotom-F also appreciate reliable recovery because they have unique typings with a bunch of important resistances. Rotom-F, for example, makes a nice Thundurus check if it lacks Focus Blast and can retaliate with a SE Ice Beam. Either way the Rotoms are sure to shake up the metagame from how we remember them last gen. What new moves do you plan to run on them?
Rotom is going to be fire. Obviously reliable recovery in Roost is what Rotom really needed and with it, its defensive sets won't be whittled down as fast.

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Roost/Strength Sap
- Volt Switch
- Blue Flare/Lava Plume
- Spore/Defog/Leech Seed/Haze/Will-O-Wisp

Rotom-Heat's typing Electric/Fire let's it take on some new threats in the Gen 7 metagame: Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu and Kartana. Invested fully in HP and Defense so it has a lower chance of getting 2HKO'd by CB Kartana's Power Whip. The reliable recovery, as I said, is notably the most useful new thing it gets access to. Roost is the most reliable, but because Rotom as such low Base HP stat, Strength Sap is actually almost always better. A Base 60 Atk stat with neutral nature is actually already enough to heal Rotom back up to half and against powerful Physical attackers it will almost always heal back up to full. With Volt Switch Rotom serves as a bulky pivot and Blue Flare/Lava Plume is its other STAB-move, the latter having a higher chance to burn and more PP. The last slot can be whatever you want. Now that it has a very big movepool there is almost too much to choose from. Spore seems the best option here as putting a pokémon asleep is always useful, but you can also opt for something else.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Rotom is going to be fire. Obviously reliable recovery in Roost is what Rotom really needed and with it, its defensive sets won't be whittled down as fast.

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Roost/Strength Sap
- Volt Switch
- Blue Flare/Lava Plume
- Spore/Defog/Leech Seed/Haze/Will-O-Wisp

Rotom-Heat's typing Electric/Fire let's it take on some new threats in the Gen 7 metagame: Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu and Kartana. Invested fully in HP and Defense so it has a lower chance of getting 2HKO'd by CB Kartana's Power Whip. The reliable recovery, as I said, is notably the most useful new thing it gets access to. Roost is the most reliable, but because Rotom as such low Base HP stat, Strength Sap is actually almost always better. A Base 60 Atk stat with neutral nature is actually already enough to heal Rotom back up to half and against powerful Physical attackers it will almost always heal back up to full. With Volt Switch Rotom serves as a bulky pivot and Blue Flare/Lava Plume is its other STAB-move, the latter having a higher chance to burn and more PP. The last slot can be whatever you want. Now that it has a very big movepool there is almost too much to choose from. Spore seems the best option here as putting a pokémon asleep is always useful, but you can also opt for something else.
We discussed Strength Sap in the OM room a while back (though admittedly for BH). The biggest problems it has is that a) it's bounceable, and b) doesn't go through subs, which means you lose to certain substitute attackers. So it might be preferable to carry Roost for the reliability, depending on what you value more.

We discussed Strength Sap in the OM room a while back (though admittedly for BH). The biggest problems it has is that a) it's bounceable, and b) doesn't go through subs, which means you lose to certain substitute attackers. So it might be preferable to carry Roost for the reliability, depending on what you value more.
Ah, I did not know that. I guess Roost is the better choice then indeed.

I've been testing against fissure and funbot a bunch in a metagame somewhere between the current gen6 and gen7 ones. These sets are pretty scary:

Silvally-Water @ Water Memory
EVs: 252 HP / 44 SpA / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
- Strength Sap
- Quiver Dance
- Steam Eruption
- Freeze-Dry

Silvally is smeargle on steroids and can run a huge number of effective sets. I was looking for a bulky water/heatran counter for my team and happened to come up with this monster. The spread just outspeeds heatran and maxes HP then SpA because I wanted it to be useful without needing to setup. A bulkier spread would also be effective if you didn't care about turn 1 speed. The coverage is perfect neutral, although Freeze Dry doesn't hit that hard because of its BP. It can deal with hard-hitting physical threats with strength sap and generally setup on almost anything. It's not difficult to get to +3/+3/+3, and at that point not much can touch it. It definitely appreciates Psychic Terrain support and some teammates that can deal with Mega Venusaur, Tapu Bulu, Ferrothorn, and Chansey. It struggles to break walls when it has to use Strength Sap against them more than once or twice, because it gets less and less health back each time. Other options are practically endless, since it gets every move that's not banned or unreleased and can be any monotype.

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Shore Up
- Thousand Arrows
- Poison Jab / Substitute

This has won me the majority of the games that I don't sweep with Silvally. I was definitely thinking that TTar would be the setup mon to beat this gen with buffed Diamond Storm and Shore Up, but this guy is proving much more effective at bulky DD thanks to its speed, typing, and coverage. Poison Jab is really nice for Tapu Bulu and other grass and fairy types that either don't care about 1k arrows or don't get OHKO'd and smash this guy back. Sub is good for PP stalling potential walls and is a nice non-committal option if you are unsure of what the opponent will do. Non-mega or delayed mega sets are good if you're worried about scarf Tapu Lele and want to keep your speed. Bulky/Adamant spreads are more powerful once they get going, but require more setup turns to be effective and are less effective at revenge killing.

EV

Banned deucer.
Wait, so Silvally can learn any move? Are you guys sure this is a good idea?
Good idea or not, that's how the premise works. If Silvally is too powerful we'll ban it.

Also, a note from the Council. We intend to focus our efforts on moves first and once we've settled the biggest offenders we'll move to specific Pokemon.

For example, Thousand Arrows will likely come up before Diggersby.

:toast:

EV

Banned deucer.
Please don't extrapolate too much. STABmons+ is a joke version of STABmons, which is a joke metagame in and of itself.

If a Pokemon is "broken" we will ban it, plain and simple, not recalibrate our rules suddenly in order to salvage it. Let's keep things simple, guys.

Shell Smash Alolan Raticate wants to join the early game rodent buff party

+2 252+ Atk Hustle Raticate-Alola Power Trip (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 507-597 (148.6 - 175%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Hustle Raticate-Alola Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 289-342 (84.7 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

and choice of Sucker Punch for extra priority or Flame Wheel for a slightly stronger hit on Bisharp, Lucario/Cobalion, and Steel/Fairies
+2 252+ Atk Hustle Raticate-Alola Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 255-300 (74.7 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
or
+2 252+ Atk Hustle Raticate-Alola Flame Wheel vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 145-171 (42.5 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

Keep out of reach of Tyranitars, Diancies, and Terrakions.

Alternatively for the lulz

+6 252+ Atk Hustle Raticate-Alola Power Trip (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 1011-1191 (296.4 - 349.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Hustle Raticate-Alola Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 577-681 (169.2 - 199.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Hustle Raticate-Alola Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 507-597 (148.6 - 175%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Hustle Raticate-Alola Flame Wheel vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 289-341 (84.7 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Unfortunately there aren't any other interesting options to abuse Power Trip. Umbreon is the only other Dark-type with access to a +6 boosting move, and while it has much more bulk to set up, it is significantly weaker, and lacks STAB ESpeed or a way to beat Steels (although it possesses Iron Tail for Rocks instead...). Silvally has to either sacrifice STAB or his White Herb (SS) / Sitrus (BD).

EDIT: I'm also going to leave this here
0 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola V-create vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 322-379 (94.4 - 111.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)