Other Metagames STABmons Bunny Balance (Triple peak with 90.0 gxe)

Bunny Balance

Introduction

I don't generally post RMTs of my STABmons teams, but this one got copied and passed around enough that it seemed worthwhile to post a more authoritative version and take credit for it. I know that Governo Sombra sniped my peak at the end with his version of this team, and Betathunder also made his own version. I can't take screenshots of the Ladder anymore, since it doesn't exist, but I ended with #2, #3, #4, and #12 spots with 2x 90.0 GXEs. I had the 1-3 spots for a while but couldn't be bothered to resnipe 3 times. As much proof as I can provide is down below.

This team is built around Protective Pads Diggersby, which is a fairly anti-meta version of a very in-meta pokemon. I added Terrakion to wallbreak for it, and Lopunny to relieve pressure from it as a revenge killer and a cleaner. It's also supported by a triple hazard stacking defensive core, to wear down the opposing team and ease its job without a damage boosting item.

In-Depth

Terrakion @ Rockium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Diamond Storm
- Close Combat
- Accelerock

Terrakion is chosen on this team because it can easily OHKO most of the walls in the tier at +2, including Landorus-Therian, Ferrothorn, Celesteela, Toxapex, Chansey, Slowbro, Skarmory, Mega Venusaur, Tangrowth, Rotom-W, Magearna, Tapu Fini, Mega Steelix, Umbreon, Mandibuzz, Mega Sableye, and Mega Scizor. It cannot OHKO Mega Slowbro, Garchomp, Rhydon, or Buzzwole without chip damage, but that's fairly easy to come by since this is a hazard stack team. Accelerock is chosen to hit Gengar and Thundurus, which can both be problematic for the defensive core. Mach Punch can easily be used to hit opposing Lopunny and Terrakion. Use this to break walls before sweeping with Diggersby or cleaning with Lopunny. This is also useful to revenge kill pokemon like Charizard-Y and Diggersby, which can also break the defensive core.

Diggersby @ Protective Pads
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

The star of the show. Protective Pads Diggersby is chosen because it can bypass most opponents' Extreme Speed blanket checks, including Beak Blast, Rocky Helmet, Iron Barbs/Rough Skin, and King's Shield. It can simply ignore Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, and Celesteela as switchins to SD, since it can setup to +3 on Defensive Landorus-T, and OHKO the latter two with +2 Fire Punch without fearing Shield or Blast. It can 1v1 Garchomp in a pinch, but it's generally worth whittling that down with hazards and breaking it with Terrakion or luring it with Lopunny instead. The lost power from Pads over LO or Silk Scarf is generally not a problem, but it does miss out on a few bulky offensive pokemon like M-Swampert. It also cannot OHKO Defensive Tangrowth or Buzzwole with +2 Fire Punch. Pads and lack of Fake Out also lessen this as a revenge killing threat.

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

This pokemon is here to revenge kill, weaken Ice-weak Extreme Speed checks, and clean up. It also helps against ghost pokemon, like Gengar, which can be problematic for the previous two pokemon to beat since it outspeeds and OHKO's with Focus Blast. It's useful for revenge killing +1 Zygarde, NP Thundurus, SD Mimikyu, Aerodactyl, and +1 M-Tyranitar, which can potentially break the defensive core. Lopunny is the least necessary offensive pokemon on the team, and should be sacked before either of the others, because it cannot sweep and Diggersby can clean/revenge in a pinch.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Def / 248 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Milk Drink
- Rapid Spin
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock

The first component of the defensive core, Chansey's job is to control hazards, phase pokemon for more chip, and wall things like Porygon-Z. It can also be used to beat bulky Zygardes in a pinch, since it can phase them out when they're behind a sub. Whirlwind is chosen over Transform because it keeps the opponent from clicking Substitute for free, which can be problematic for this team, and because it can do massive damage if hazards are up. This spread is chosen over max HP/max Def because it is not 2hko'd by Specs Porygon-Z after rocks, and because it does not need more HP for Transform. It's fine to switch this in on Scarf Porygon-Z with Trick, because that makes Porygon open to Lopunny and Terrakion.

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Scald

Although it really doesn't gain anything in STABmons, Toxapex is still a premier defensive threat, countering every M-Lopunny, Keldeo, and Scizor, and most Charizards, Magearnas, Silvallys, Celesteelas, Buzzwoles, Tyranitars, Azumarills, Mawiles, and Sylveons. It also spits out Toxic Spikes, which are crucial for chipping several walls, and whittling down pokemon for the relatively passive defensive core. This is one of the few pokemon (along with SpD Gyarados and Def Rotom-H) that can switch into Charizard as it mega evolves into either form. Haze on this along with Whirlwind on Chansey keep most pokemon from setting up on this team.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Beak Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

HP Ice Landorus is neither standard, nor very optimal in STABmons, but it helps this team tremendously against opposing Zygarde and offensive Landorus-T. Spikes is chosen over more coverage, U-Turn, or defog because it pressures the opposing team more than momentum or earthquake would, and I don't want to defog away my own hazards. The spread keeps mixed defenses and offenses up, because getting damage off on 4x Ice-weak pokemon is at a premium. This could definitely be adjusted, but it worked well enough for me. Lando is probably the most expendable member of the team, since most things that it checks can be soft-checked by Chansey/Toxapex, or revenged by the offensive core.

Other Options
  • Mach Punch can certainly be run on Terrakion purely by preference. It doesn't make a big impact either way.
  • Ice Punch Diggersby is an option, but it's generally inferior to Fire Punch/EQ because Diggersby can already beat Lando and Garchomp 1v1.
  • Bonemerang and Precipice Blades Diggersby both have good niches in breaking through sash/disguise and breaking TankChomp. I prefer EQ for its reliability, especially since the team is built around Diggersby.
  • Swords Dance Lopunny was on the team at the start, but I really didn't need a third Swords Dancer, and it was significantly more difficult to revenge kill bulky things, like Zygarde.
  • Transform Chansey is definitely a good option over Whirlwind. I found that a lot of people were running Sub towards the end of the metagame to combat this, so I chose WW.
  • Glare Chansey is good, but much better with Transform and doesn't synergize well with Toxic Spikes.
  • Landorus-T can be reconfigured with U-Turn or EQ and a different spread, but I felt that my Zygarde/Lando matchups were weak and HP Ice patched them up.
Threats
Mega Sableye can prevent me from stacking hazards, and with support can keep itself from being worn down by scald. While the offensive core can break it pretty easily, none of them switch into WoW.
SD + Z Landorus-T can be problematic since it breaks the whole defensive core. If it gets a double dance up, then you have to sack quite a bit to revenge it.
Zygarde has fairly diverse sets, which are all handled differently but can get out of control if you guess incorrectly. DD without Dragonium loses to Lando, Dragonium sets get revenged by Lopunny, bulky DD sets are put into revenge killing range by Lando -> Lopunny, and Coil sets get phased by Chansey, even at +6.
Mega Swampert can outspeed and 2HKO the entire team in rain. You can kinda outplay it by switching between Toxapex and Landorus-T and then Beak Blasting it, or by stacking spikes and revenging it with fakespeed.
Mega Alakazam can clean the team easily if it gets a Psychic Terrain off, since I have no Psychic resist and +1 Psystrike 2HKOs Chansey.

Last edited:
Hello, and congrats on the team. It's true that i stole this team, but i had lost to this particular version so many times that i decided to try it out for myself by late-month. It was so hair-tearing that i had even named it like this on the teambuilder: http://prntscr.com/g7k6g0

As for my own tweak on the team, i ended up running Seismic Toss over Super Fang, and, before, the latter over Whirlwind to deal with anti-Chansey cores, namely Taunt + NP Thundurus-T & I with Oblivion Wing, especially if they ran Sub, which i ended up facing in some ladder counterteamers. They were still a bit dangerous, especially considering my other modifications to the team (no FakeSpeed Lopunny).

I'm a simple man, so i just ran Max/Max on Toxapex, as Keldeo never posed a threat and thanks to Regen i was able to figure out whether Keldeo was Scarf or Specs, and switch accordingly between Toxapex and Chansey to wall it. By late-month Darkium Z Greninja started appearing, but it featured in such offensive oriented teams that the offensive core would just beat the opponent, even if it came down to trading KO's.

I really like your Lando-T set, and it does what it's meant to do very well, as you already explained. As for my own set, i found Knock Off to be mandatory to cripple the most usual switch-ins to it: Rotom-W and opposing Lando-T, which would only make it easier for the offensive core to sweep, especially since Rotom-W can be a pain with Strength Sap, but i will get to that later.

As for the offensive core, i changed Terrakion's priority to Mach Punch, as it helped lure teams with similar cores, which i would find in shitloads at the top 20/30. Get a kill, Lopunny comes in with no fear of a +2 Accelerock, and gets OHKO'd. Opposing Terrakion would have a 56.3% chance of getting OHKO'd after SR.

Diggersby is perfect and unchangeable, and it fucked my day numerous times, either by you or betathunder, as i haven't played the main games since Gen 5, and therefore new hold items are relatively foreign to me, especially these niche items like Protective Pads, Float Stone, Adrenaline Orb, etc.

As for Lopunny, because i didn't went through the same process as you - building a team around Diggersby - i ended up tweaking it the most, turning it into a 3rd SDer, with Espeed and HJK, with Encore as a 4th move, as a way to deal with Sap Rotom-W, bar switching in Chansey to reduce Rotom-W's recovery to a laughable number, Sub NP Thundys, King's Shield users, who would be forced to risk a 33% chance of a double protect or switch out, thus saccing something or even some Landos, though predicting is a double edged sword.

Yanmega would put me on my toes throughout the entire match and would need pinpoint prediction as to never leave it in Chansey's face, as i don't run Transform.
Edit: Also MegaCham offense, to an extent, but that can be said for everyone not running MegaEye full stall, right?

Overall amazing team, congrats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)