Splatoon

Question about chargers. Do the motion controls on the game pad make it harder to aim? I have performed fine with the Bamboozler, but I've had some trouble with the E-liter 3Ks and Splat Chargers. Either that or I just suck with them.
Also, I'm stuck in B- rank for ranked battles. Should probably try and get another weapon to use for that.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
from my experiences with chargers, motion controls actually make it easier to flick-snipe, which is what you should be doing with non-bamboozler chargers in the first place. granted, my aim and ability to flick-snipe with the e-liter 3k scope and splatterscope are only good enough to take my training alt to b+, but that just means i need to practice more.

also, splatoon has a ps! room now! here's a link to the room, where you can talk most things splatoon in real time with me and other users who have a passion for the game just as large as mine.

*cough* ty for making the room, Arcticblast *cough*

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
To be honest you shouldn't play Splatoon without motion controls at all. It's like playing a shooter without a mouse. Well geez Splatoon IS a shooter.

The thing about Chargers in particular is that you need to be GOOD with it to actually be useful for your team. It's a lot simpler to pick 52 gal or tentatek without a lot of experience with the weapon and still be sort of useful, for example. This is why you are probably stuck with your rank.
I can say this with personal experience as well: I tried to pick the e-liter for ranked a few times and failed terribly. I went to S rank with basically the two gals and rollers, which is what I'm more comfortable with.

Last edited:
Has anyone played a 1v1 local battle before?
Considering most of my IRL friends don't have a Wii U / Splatoon, we often end up doing a bunch of local matches when they come over me for the afternoon; it's really fun (although I always use the Gamepad because it's a game breaker :p ) and seeing them rage makes me chuckle, although it's kinda sad that it's Splatoon's "forgotten mode" nobody cares about, so much that none of the updates affected it at all (like Underpass being the same old map as opposed to the new version available normally) and none of the new weapons have been included (heck, a slosher and a splatling would be a good start). It's also sad that the only mode available is the "balloon fight" one which, while good to teach your friends the basics of the game, sometimes feels a tad too repetitive; Turf Wars would be cool, maybe by adding some sort of minimap in the top left corner or something.
Hopefully the October update will do something about it (most definitely will not tho ;_;).

Also, regarding the motion control topic, I agree with everyone saying that using them is THE way to play the game. I recently managed to get to S by using nothing but the .52 Gal Deco (fuk Tower Control -_-') and having the ability to quickly rotate, aim and shoot is the difference between being a moving target and being an actual threat. Personally, I use both Motion Control and the Stick (while completely disregarding the Y button), as in aim with the MC and adjust the camera with the stick; I guess it's kinda weird to explain, but it works for me.

Also Splat Zones on Hammerhead Bridge is a mess imho. That huge rectangle is a pain in the arse to re-conquer should your team lack a friendly roller that doesn't suck.

I agree, motion controls are almost mandatory, as it is much faster to change aim. I still use the control stick as well to help a bit with it.

I'm confused. I'm pretty good at ranked, but no matter WHAT weapon i use, i never get higher than B.... when i get close to B+, suddenly i can't win anymore (and when i am a COMMUNICATION ERROR always ruins it >n<). I don't know what i'm doing wrong, if anything (i frequently end up with teammates that don't know what the hell they're doing, on top of all the other problems)... any tips? I'm currently maining Aerosprey RG in Splatzones, Splash-o-matic in Tower Control, and Aerospray MG in Rainmker

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
I'm confused. I'm pretty good at ranked, but no matter WHAT weapon i use, i never get higher than B.... when i get close to B+, suddenly i can't win anymore (and when i am a COMMUNICATION ERROR always ruins it >n<). I don't know what i'm doing wrong, if anything (i frequently end up with teammates that don't know what the hell they're doing, on top of all the other problems)... any tips? I'm currently maining Aerosprey RG in Splatzones, Splash-o-matic in Tower Control, and Aerospray MG in Rainmker
Best tip I can give you for ranked is: know when to stop playing. You will commit a lot more mistakes after getting pissed because of a losing streak. Stick to the modes and maps you have more knowledge as well. Also I don't recommend playing ranked solo in Rainmaker mode, at least not before A+/S bracket, they usually won't try to cover the rainmaker carrier, it's just overall the most frustrating mode to play alone.

As for weapons, you might wanna try long range shooters, like gals/splatterpro/dual squelcher. About the disconnection bullshit, I just gave up and bought a wii u lan adapter: Splatoon requires a super stable connection, so wired connection is your best friend. Worked great for me, and it's not even the official adapter.

Agreeing that you should try other weapons. Aerospray RG is basically outclassed, and the MG is incredibly difficult to use well. You seem to like short range weapons, I would recommend just maiming the splash o magic or switching to the .52 gal/tentakek

Best of luck

Shorter range weapons seem to be more difficult to do well with in ranked battles, to me at least.

GoodMorningEspeon

pondering mongoose
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

It's official, Disney is creatively bankrupt
I feel a lawsuit inkoming.
Literally Arowana Mall.
Has anyone played a 1v1 local battle before?
Whenever I tell my friends we should play it, they all groan. Not only is it a pain to have one person using the Pro Controller (which no one particularly likes using over the GamePad), but "Balloon mode" is kinda lame imo.
I was stuck in the B area for a while too, and the best way to do it is to just find the weapons that work for each mode. I don't mean to repeat what everyone else already said but the Aerospray RG isn't too great for zones (you're almost definitely better off with Splash-o-matic). As royal flush said, when you're on a losing streak, just take a break and wait for a mode that you're more comfortable with.

My biggest tip is to play squads with others. If you're able to find a person who is in the A or S rank area, you should. It'll give you a chance to play against players that are very skilled and experienced. That automatically fixes the issue of being teamed with people that don't know what they're doing. Next, it'll sort of stimulate you to figure out ways to beat these players who are better than you. You learn from your mistakes and from your opponents' and teammates' strategies and improve. It worked for me; I was stuck in the same rut you were in the B- area and now I'm at A- (not fantastic but much better).

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
tfw i've never played a shooter with anything other than a control stick

people say motion controls are so much better but I honestly think it's just personal preference - i'd never be able to play well at all using motion, my hands are unsteady and i'd rather just hold the controller in my lap than move it around frantically. motion does make e-liter flick shots easier, but i'd rather play the mobile squiffer-like charger than use the more stationary long-range ones anyway

and no one say "you'll never be good in higher ranks without motion" because i've made it to S without using it (did so without squads too, i'm a beast at carrying bad random players through splat zones)

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
tfw i've never played a shooter with anything other than a control stick

people say motion controls are so much better but I honestly think it's just personal preference - i'd never be able to play well at all using motion, my hands are unsteady and i'd rather just hold the controller in my lap than move it around frantically. motion does make e-liter flick shots easier, but i'd rather play the mobile squiffer-like charger than use the more stationary long-range ones anyway

and no one say "you'll never be good in higher ranks without motion" because i've made it to S without using it (did so without squads too, i'm a beast at carrying bad random players through splat zones)
To be honest a friend of mine also play without motions and he's pretty decent as well. I can't blame personal preference, but I'd say give motions a second try, it takes some time to get used to it.

I mean you can still get really good at the game, but you are basically handicapping yourself, that's the thing: shooters usually flow by who had the fastest reaction, and motion controls most likely help a lot, especially 1x1 situations.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i've tried motion at least 3 times so far, i've gotten progressively worse each time

the thing about motion is it only helps for direct shoot-offs, and i tend to base my game around high mobility and maneuvering to a position where i don't have to worry about who splats whom first, because i'll have the bead and can aim at my leisure. after all, if i'm swimming around someone using motion and abusing height, they have to deal with contorting themselves strangely, or having a weird camera screw by hitting y frequently, and using stick controls allows me to bypass that annoyance

if i was using an e-liter or a .96 gal or a splattershot pro, it'd be more important for me to worry about aiming and not using motion would be a slight handicap, but i main the splattershot jr. and aerospray mg, both of which don't really care if i'm not right on the mark. motion is only marginally more important when you're using longer range weapons that have higher penalties for missing

I suppose i could give the tentatech or splash-o-matic i try in all the different ranked modes. I usually prefer weapons with high rates of fire.

Cars vs. Airplanes feels like the transformer splatfest again. The Autobots were cars, and (some) decepticons were planes/jets.
I'll probably choose planes though, when the splatfest comes around. Wish me luck for an attempt at using bamboozler in Turf War..

Pretty late for the whole motion controls thing but, motion controls aren't totally required. I made it up to B- without them twice (fell back to C once and then stopped playing ranked when I hit B- the second time.)

In all honesty though, it depends on how technical of a player you are, I usually use guns that aren't that technical and rely mostly on my reflexes and on my ability to out maneuver the other players. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've had games where I did terrible and won and games where I hard carried and lost. Weapons like the rollers/brushes don't actually require motion controls either as you're either running at people or jumping and flicking ink.

Disclaimer though, I made a new nintendo account since I was bored one day and started to play the story mode over again. I also decided I would keep the motion controls on this time around and see if that helps me get better/used to them. I'm still much a fan of having them off for me personally, just way easier for me to use the analog sticks.

/revive

For those of you who don't know, on October 30th a large set of patches will come out that will affect a lot of weapons, team comps, and the metagame as a whole. If you want the full list you can look it up (2.2.0 I think), but basically walls and krakens are nerfed, so no more gal meta. The e liter can no longer kill at half charge, and has to charge noticably longer to kill. They made it harder to get one hit kills with blasters, with the exception of the rapid blaster. Rollers can now only kill if they hit with the center of the roller. The time between inkzooka shots is now about a second. These are the significant changes, basically every top tier weapon got nerfed.

The only major buff was an increase in movement speed to the dual squelcher.
What does everyone think the big winners and losers of this patcher are? Will gals and e liters still be good?

I personally think that the big winners are jet and dual squelcher, along with the Splatterscope. The only big loser that will be significantly worse imo is long range blasters.

Isn't it on October 20th? I may be mistaken, but I remember it being much "closer" time-wise.

Anyway, I think I have a love-hate relationship with this set of changes (and i'm pretty sure i'm not alone here): on one end, blasters don't eviscerate you anymore even if they are miles away from you, you don't have to worry about rollers "caressing" you with a single gravitational drop of ink and splatting you anyway, and repelling the Kraken with a gal is probably much easier; but on the other one, 75% of my main weapons got the nerf hammer (Dynamo why D; ).
In the end, if this will help stabilize the metagame and promote the use of different weapons and strategies, so be it. Nobody likes a stale meta, as Pokemon clearly taught us.

Regarding any actual winners, I agree that squelchers and the elite splattershots are probably the ones that benefitted the most, with their main rivals getting all the nerfs (.96 gal deco, regular .52, tentatek), while splatterscope is now less overshadowed by the e-liters. Rollers will probably see a huge decrease in popularity (especially Dynamo), while Blasters will require a more accurate aiming.
.52 Deco is now the best gal y/y

GoodMorningEspeon

pondering mongoose
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I also believe it is the 20th rather than the 30th.

Yeah rollers (dynamo esp even though I use it too) and blasters probably needed a nerf at some point. splash walls are also getting nerfed which will directly affects the reg 52 and 96 deco. it'll definitely affect the "meta" since splash walls are one of, if not, the current best sub.

My prediction is that e-liter use will decrease massively and that roller use might decrease a tad as well. Blasters I feel won't be hit too badly and skilled players with decent accuracy and damage ups should be able to counteract the change.

One other thing that stood out to me was the slosher and trislosher buffs. Increased damage against rainmaker shield by 33%? That's a pretty big change; considering trislosher is a good enough weapon as it is in rainmaker currently, i'll probably have to use it a bit more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)