Spelling and Grammar Standards

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Silly question, but how is "Xatu" pronounced? The NU Mawile analysis for the defensive set uses the phrase "if the opponent has an Xatu" and while I'm inclined to change it to "a Xatu", having always pronounced the Pokemon as "Zatu," I want to confirm, as perhaps the X is supposed to be silent.
It's pronounced "Zatu", and I just removed the "an" so that the sentence would be similar to the other Xatu mentions in the analysis. Thanks for catching that.

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Does the phrase singe / dual type have a hyphen? For example: is it "single type" and "dual type" or "single-type" and "dual-type"? I've seen it both ways but I see it hyphenated much more often

Context: http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/monotype/ Second sentence.
Hyphens, I would say. Don't think we've defined it as no hyphen, and a hyphen is technically needed there.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
I have a question regarding the Rotom appliances and I'd like some light shed into it.

Gen VI formally refers to the Rotom forms in game as Wash Rotom, Heat Rotom, Frost Rotom, Fan Rotom, and Mow Rotom. While this isn't a problem for the first three forms, Rotom-S and Rotom-C aren't called Spin Rotom and Cut Rotom anymore. It's inconsistent with any other form change who have the appropriate in-game denominations because they are also the only forms to have their names changed between generations. So, why do we still use these?

I can understand an argument for "consistency across years of analyses" or whatever but factually it's wrong and the only reason why we use those names is a remnant of the Gen IV days. You can't see these names in-game so there's no basis for them to any outsider who comes across them.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
If you can change them on the dex yourself (ps you can't only chaos can) then go ahead. You could argue we could use the proper name until the site info is updated but I'd rather they match until then

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm a fan of the new names, but yeah they should match the official dex. That way there's the least confusion for people. Plus, changing all the names won't be that difficult anyway, even with new, "incorrect" names being uploaded now.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
That's a new standard that would have to be established. Up to this point, Nintendo has fortunately only made 1 Pokemon with form changes that start with the same letter (Rotom). They might just do this in the future with another Pokemon given that form / forme changes aren't even distinguished by name in-battle and it's not "confusing". Analysis-wise, something along the lines of "If the Pokemon has forms or formes that start with the same letter, the full name of the form or forme will be used instead (e.g. Rotom-Frost and Rotom-Fan)" ?

GatoDelFuego

I thought just saying "Fan Rotom" in a similar vein to "Mega Scizor" would be fine. However, if we update anything, it should be consistent on both the dex and showdown! because there's no point in revamping the "incorrect" names if it's not going to be universal.

Is there any relation to the verb "sponge"? Here's an example: "Lum Berry allows Samurott to sponge a burn". If this isn't viewed as acceptable I'd like some clarification, but I've seen it used quite a few times, and I'm not sure how to correct/change it without clarification.

• With the length of allowable names increased, the spelling of several names have been changed. These include Never-Melt Ice, Soft-Boiled, High Jump Kick, Thunder Punch, Feint Attack, Bubble Beam, Sand Attack (but NOT Double-Edge and Mud-Slap), Compound Eyes, Bright Powder, Extreme Speed, Poison Powder, Smokescreen, Double Slap, Twisted Spoon, Black Glasses, Solar Beam, Thunder Shock, Paralyze Heal, Thunder Stone, and Dragon Breath. As a general rule, anything that was capitalized mid-word in pre vious generations is now two separate words.
  • However, going against the aforementioned rule, the ability Lightningrod is still spelled as one word on Smogon. This is due to a bug with the SCMS.
Added bottom sentence. I've been changing it to two words for some time now; I thought that was the correct way for us to do it. Is the reasoning for that correct? That's what I've heard.
I fixed Lightning Rod right now

GatoDelFuego

Hmm...I don't know if it's a good idea to start the classic forme naming for Aegislash, considering how rapidly it switches formes. But that's just my opinion.

Hmm...I don't know if it's a good idea to start the classic forme naming for Aegislash, considering how rapidly it switches formes. But that's just my opinion.
I was doing a check and I went ahead and used Aegislash-S. I'm not sure what was wrong/right to use, but it was referring to how the Shield forme takes a hit from the specified Pokemon.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
personally i think we should stick to aegislash-shield/blade. it reduces ambiguity for new users (who may think s stands for sword or slash) and aegislash isn't a forme pokemon in the traditional sense (as compared to, for example, rotom/giratina/arceus/shaymin formes, which are all separate pokemon) in that its formes are not separate pokemon in a sense.

also should aegi-shield really be a thing when that is its base forme?

edit:
[2:28:38 PM] fleurdyleurse: also should aegi-shield really be a thing when that is its base forme?
[2:28:43 PM] fleurdyleurse: i heavily question this
[2:28:43 PM] fleurdyleurse: btw
[2:28:47 PM] gato: lol it's just aegislash

Last edited:
personally i think we should stick to aegislash-shield/blade. it reduces ambiguity for new users (who may think s stands for sword or slash) and aegislash isn't a forme pokemon in the traditional sense (as compared to, for example, rotom/giratina/arceus/shaymin formes, which are all separate pokemon) in that its formes are not separate pokemon in a sense.

also should aegi-shield really be a thing when that is its base forme?
Hmm. I'm not really sure to be honest. I think that the trend of Rotom-H and Landorus-T are what I was going by. I know that it doesn't actually change formes, it's just what I was going by. I didn't see anything in the standards about it so I had to ask, haha. I personally Aegislash-Shield / Aegislash-Blade, but at the same time I feel like it should match the other Pokemon, regardless if it's an actual "forme". Maybe that's just me. I was just looking for an answer, haha.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, Meloetta can change formes during battle like Aegislash, and we use Meloetta / Meloetta-P for its formes. However, afaik Meloetta sets try to be either just Meloetta or just Meloetta-P (making a distinction like that more useful), whereas Aegislash is going to be changing formes often.

fwiw, whenever I'm checking stuff that mentions Aegislash, they have a couple mentions of stuff like... "Aegislash can do x when in Blade forme" / "Aegislash survives x when in Shield forme", and the rest of the time they just say Aegislash. I feel like that method works well enough -shrug-

GatoDelFuego

Due to the fact that Aegislash always attacks in Blade and always defends in Shield, it can (for most practical situations) be considered as having its maximum stats of 150 for whatever situation is being discussed. The rare case where clarification would be needed would be if 1. Aegislash is in Blade forme and 2. it moved first (so is being attacked), and so its low defense stats are being used in calculation. This situation is so rare that in my opinion there's no reason to create a forme difference to adhere by. If we are talking about this specific situation, then just say "Aegislash in X forme" to clarify, but otherwise it really can just get left as Aegislash all the time.

Due to the fact that Aegislash always attacks in Blade and always defends in Shield, it can (for most practical situations) be considered as having its maximum stats of 150 for whatever situation is being discussed. The rare case where clarification would be needed would be if 1. Aegislash is in Blade forme and 2. it moved first (so is being attacked), and so its low defense stats are being used in calculation. This situation is so rare that in my opinion there's no reason to create a forme difference to adhere by. If we are talking about this specific situation, then just say "Aegislash in X forme" to clarify, but otherwise it really can just get left as Aegislash all the time.
That makes sense to me! Thanks for the clarification. n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)