Spelling and Grammar Standards

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Have we banned "nuke" yet?
There's nothing in this thread against "nuke", but I'm sure there are better methods of articulating a scenario in which "nuke" would be used. "x takes heavy damage from x" rather than "x is nuked by x", "x deals noticeable damage to x" rather than "x nukes x", etc. are all a bit more wordy, but are more descriptive of what exactly the move/Pokemon are doing. Besides, "nuking" is the act of attacking and destroying with nuclear weapons. Not at all accurate in this case.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Requoting this here:

Finally, I'm not GP but to save them the trouble, you should take out any instance where you've used "like" with "such as" coz it sounds way too casual otherwise.

eg. "Because EVs are added to a stat before the effects of multiplicative items like such as Eviolite, Choice items, and Life Orb, investing EVs into a stat will have an even greater effect when you use these kinds of items."
Oglemi said:
No for the millionth time like and such as both have their specific correct usages. Briyella found it necessary to tell everyone to eliminate like on sight but the pedo was wrong and I've been telling people they were wrong for like 3 years now

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/like-versus-such-as
I'm like 900% certain Honko made a post summarizing that article I linked, but it's essentially when you list examples using "like" you're implying more examples than what you list and that the examples you're listing are comparisons to others that exist. When you use "such as" you're basically only implying the specific examples you list in that sentence. Comparison vs inclusion. Take a look at the more examples portion of the article.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
when you list examples using "like" you're implying more examples than what you list and that the examples you're listing are comparisons to others that exist. When you use "such as" you're basically only implying the specific examples you list in that sentence. Comparison vs inclusion. Take a look at the more examples portion of the article.
When I use the "like" button on XenForo, it's implying that such a post is deserving of a single click. When I use the "reply" button as well as the "like" button, it underscores just how important the above post is. Post appreciation vs emphasis of the ideas.

This is a very important point that everybody should know.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The word "outslow" pops up in several analyses. I don't have any particular problem with the phrase, but if we like it, it should probably be added to the coined term list.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The word "outslow" pops up in several analyses. I don't have any particular problem with the phrase, but if we like it, it should probably be added to the coined term list.
Outslow should be avoided, in general it should be "underspeed" or something closer to that since that would be the direct opposite to outspeed.

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
From what I remember outslow is more a 'pun' that's used when talking about Trick Room Pokemon using minimum Speed EVs

Reactions: Muk

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello friends, this isn't related to spelling or grammar but we should definitely try to watch out for it. There have been a number of analyses that suggest 248 HP EVs or 4 or 0 or whatever, supposedly for "a Stealth Rock number" or to switch into Stealth Rock x number of times. If you see anything like that, take a minute to calculate it to make sure that's correct, because it's......kind of often not.

One example:
Dumping the last 4 EVs in SpD rather than HP is good because if you put them in HP, Aerodactyl's health will be at an even number and faint quicker from Stealth Rock.
According to the PS teambuilder, Aero's uninvested HP is 301, and with 4 HP EVs it's 302.
Uninvested: 301/4 = 75.25 --> 75
With EVs: 302/4 = 75.5 --> 75
So Aerodactyl will take the same damage from rocks regardless.

This has happened quite a few times so don't feel too bad if you've done this! Let's just try to catch it from now on :)

also here is a shoutout to Malley :heart:

GatoDelFuego

Here's a couple new things:
  • The term "wincon" is accepted as meaning "a Pokemon whose objective is to win the match." A wincon is the starting point of a team, has favorable matchups against most Pokemon in a tier / on the opponent's team, and / or is backed up by heavy team support.
  • A "win condition" which is a circumstance in which a game can be won, and is not interchangeable with "wincon".
Learn 'em! Implementing this fully will be just as difficult as 'the physical and special spectrum'

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
When listing things such as moves and teammates, is it okay for the writer to conclude their list with "Finally..." and the like? I've been eliminating "finally" on sight recently, so let me know if I should or shouldn't be changing it.

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks guys. Awhile back when I wrote analyses, I recall Bri telling me to stop using "finally," which is why I've been removing it lately. I should've known better than to listen to him though; in hindsight he was an awful GPer.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Silly question, but how is "Xatu" pronounced? The NU Mawile analysis for the defensive set uses the phrase "if the opponent has an Xatu" and while I'm inclined to change it to "a Xatu", having always pronounced the Pokemon as "Zatu," I want to confirm, as perhaps the X is supposed to be silent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)