Spelling and Grammar Standards

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I still find it kind of odd that we refer to formes as their truncated counterpart even though the Smogdex URLs display them as, say, Shaymin-Sky and Rotom-Wash. It would make more sense if it was all consistent (if the URLs say -Wash, -Unbound, -Sky, and so on then so too should the analyses) instead of what is basically picking and choosing. I might be reading a bit into it, sure, but something as simple as consistency goes a long way.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I still find it kind of odd that we refer to formes as their truncated counterpart even though the Smogdex URLs display them as, say, Shaymin-Sky and Rotom-Wash. It would make more sense if it was all consistent (if the URLs say -Wash, -Unbound, -Sky, and so on then so too should the analyses) instead of what is basically picking and choosing. I might be reading a bit into it, sure, but something as simple as consistency goes a long way.
Should, could, would.

What you're suggesting also goes against the consistency of years of analyses. We could also start questioning why Incarnate Thundurus and not Therian Thundurus is called Thundurus. Why no Thundurus-I? It's a short, easy way to differentiate the formes, and yes, this is you just looking into it too much. Too nitpicky and just adds more unnecessary letters.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Matchup and match-up are both acceptable. There are lots of words like this that are acceptable...however, set-up and setup are an example of ones we specifically state to use on the site. Most others are fine

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1v1 or one-on-one? I prefer 1v1 while it seems TDP prefers one-on-one; idk which one should be used.

Also sticky this please and ty

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1v1 or one-on-one? I prefer 1v1 while it seems TDP prefers one-on-one; idk which one should be used.

Also sticky this please and ty
If we're getting technical 1v1 is just colloquial slang. Even in that slang it's used as a verb (1v1 me bro). While this is probably the most minor thing ever, I don't think one needs to be 100% used over the other. As long as it's not "one on one" it should be ok.

But I still like the hyphenated one a bit more

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, one-on-one is preferred but not mandatory. We had a bit of discussion on this back in November, in fact.

From my experience, I usually say things like "X can beat Y in a one-on-one matchup" or "X can beat Y one-on-one". I don't see a problem with 1v1 as well, but I would say "in a 1v1" is 'incorrect'. It's tricky for me to articulate this, but "one-on-one" seems to fit better into more things than "1v1". I don't see a reason to remove all "1v1"s where they can work, though.

Empress

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, here I am again...

"Offensive teams struggle to deal with Mega Houndoom's raw power and speed." Should speed be capitalized? It's referring to speed as a noun, not specifically Mega Houndoom's Speed stat (if that makes a difference, which I'm not sure it does).

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Sorry, here I am again...

"Offensive teams struggle to deal with Mega Houndoom's raw power and speed." Should speed be capitalized? It's referring to speed as a noun, not specifically Mega Houndoom's Speed stat (if that makes a difference, which I'm not sure it does).
Capitalise imo... What else could it possibly reference other than the Speed stat?

Malley

Dominachu
It's referencing its general quickness, not its hard Speed stat, it doesn't need to be capitalized.
What defines its general quickness though? I'm still not sure what I think about this. Flavor-wise, it's sleek and stuff, but that doesn't apply in a competitive article. All I can think of apart from its Speed stat is its access to Sucker Punch and the speed with which it can set up and sweep. Is it the latter you're thinking of?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
What defines its general quickness though? I'm still not sure what I think about this. Flavor-wise, it's sleek and stuff, but that doesn't apply in a competitive article. All I can think of apart from its Speed stat is its access to Sucker Punch and the speed with which it can set up and sweep. Is it the latter you're thinking of?
It's not referencing any particular Speed stat that it possesses, it's fast whether it's running Modest or Timid or any amount of EVs or whatever else. Its inherent speed is high, not necessarily referring to its Speed.

EDIT: It refers to a general quickness it has on the battlefield, more in reference to its momentum shifting than anything.

Empress

"Thundurus'(s) Prankster gives its status moves priority."
"Heatran covers Thundurus'(s) weaknesses quite nicely."

Do I add the s at the end? It's really unclear as to whether the writer is referring to all Thundurus or a single Thundurus.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
"Thundurus'(s) Prankster gives its status moves priority."
"Heatran covers Thundurus'(s) weaknesses quite nicely."

Do I add the s at the end? It's really unclear as to whether the writer is referring to all Thundurus or a single Thundurus.
It's grammatically a singular (the writer is referring to the "concept" Thundurus), so you should add it. Similarly to how you'd say "Thundurus has great offensive stats" as opposed to "Thundurus have great offensive stats," you should add the s here.
It's in a sense the same thing as "the tiger is a fierce predator," which also refers to all tigers in a general sense as opposed to a specific tiger.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)