Gen 4 Specs Starmie Red Offence

I've been playing competitive Pokémon on and off for a while now, but have never been great at team building. This is my first serious attempt at making one.

Building Process

:Breloom:
I wanted to use Breloom, because he is a silly little guy.

:Breloom: :Scizor:
I added Scizor to for pursuit support.

:Heatran: :Breloom: :Scizor:
I needed a rocker, something besides Scizor that wouldn't immediately crumble to a draco meteor and a fire resist, so I added Heatran.

:Heatran: :Breloom: :Scizor: :Latias:
The team needed some speed, so I added a scarf Latias. Also helps check special attackers.

:Heatran: :Breloom: :Scizor: :Latias: :Gyarados:
I wanted something that could sweep late game and help check physical attackers. Gyarados seemed perfect for that.

:Heatran: :Breloom: :Scizor: :Latias: :Starmie: :Gyarados:
I thought the team could use some immediate power, so I decided to add a specs Starmie.

:Heatran: :Breloom: :Tyranitar: :Latias: :Starmie: :Gyarados:
I ended up replacing Scizor, because TTar performed better. It sadly doesn't fit the red color theme of the team.

The Team

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 60 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Explosion

Heatran holds the team together defensively. It helps the team check threads like Jirachi, while also being a strong offensive presense. Thanks to its great typing and hp investment, it can live a couple of hits and reliably set up stealth rock. Leftovers make sure it remains healthy as the game progresses. Thanks to a lot of speed EVs, Heatran gets many opportunities to fire off its mighty attacks. Even without much special attack investment, Heatran is a massive threat. Fire Blast deals heavy damage even to resists, and Earth power hits other Heatran and TTar hard. Explosion rounds out the set. It helps the team power through special walls like Clef and Latias.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 76 HP / 248 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Superpower
- Seed Bomb
- Mach Punch

Breloom is the main wall breaker of the team. With its high base attack and Spore, it threatens many walls, like Swampert and Clef. I went with the standard set in this case. Superpower and Seed Bomb are looms strongest attacks, Mach Punch picks off weakened foes and helps against DDtar and Spore is Spore. A lot of speed and attack to make Breloom as threatening as possible. Breloom switches in to ground and water attacks aimed at Heatran early on and regains momentum by putting something to sleep. Heatran can then come back in to set up rocks.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 48 HP / 144 Atk / 52 SpA / 184 SpD / 80 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

TTar helps the team get rid of ghost types and Latias thanks to pursuit. This is great for both Breloom and Starmie. Crunch is a reliable stab option with few resists. Fire Blast hits Scizor, Breloom and Jirachi on the switch and threatens physical walls in general. Earthquake is a great move in general. I chose it specifically to help against sub roost Zapdos, but it also hits Heatran and Jirachi quite hard. The EVs make TTar very bulky on the special side and a strong physical attacker, while ensuring that its Fire Blast is strong enough to OHKO Breloom. Chople Berry helps it trap Gengar, not sure if that's worth it though.

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Latias is the main form of speed control. With timid max speed and a scarf, it outruns everything else. Max SpAtt makes sure it can leverage that speed well. Draco is amazing against almost everything and OHKOs DDnite. Thunderbolt is for Gyarados and also hit steels decently. Trick helps the against special walls like Clef. Healing wish can heal up Gyarados and enable a late game sweep (in theory, at least). Thanks to it's high natural bulk, Latias is also a nice check to some mons the team would otherwise struggle against, mainly Starmie.

Starmie @ Choice Specs
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Trick

Next up is the literal star of the team. With timid and max speed Starmie outruns everything that isn't boosted. It's unimpressive SpAtt is compensated for with choice specs and Hydro Pump's high base power. Starmie can come in early to grab revenge KOs and clean up entire teams late game. I almost exclusively use Hydro Pump, as it is strong enough to 2-hit-KO even resists, but Boltbeam coverage gives Starmie reliable alternatives. Trick helps against defensive teams. I've experimented with Surf+Hydro, as Hydro Pump is very unreliable, it is hard to fit, though. Starmie also profits massively from TTar pursuiting scarf Rotom and Latias, since they can actually revenge KO Starmie.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake

With Dragon Dance, Gyarados can clean up teams late game. Waterfall is its main stab move, and Ice Fang and EQ hit water resits hard. I originally gave it Taunt and Double Edge, but I felt like the extra hard hit on Metagross and Jirachi was necessary. Gyrados also helps the team check physical attackers early game, like Machamp or Metagross. In practise, it rarely actually sweeps. I gave it lefties to increase its longevity, which is very helpful, but leaves it vulnerable to status and electric attacks.

I've reached 1400 elo with this team, which isn't bad for me.

It's hard for me to pinpoint the team's flaws. Sometimes, the team just kinda crumbles, and it feels impossible to defend, while the team itself is unable to make much progress.

I'd be happy if you guys could help me improve the team, thanks in advance!

paste: https://pokepast.es/75fd9ed8913bac81

Jeong

Banned deucer.
I know it's hard for you to mention team defects or things that cause problems, but it would be easier when it comes to helping. I can only say that I see Starmie better with RSpin, so maybe the team doesn't fall apart at times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)