Smogon Usage-Based Tier Update: November 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm looking foreward to separate tiering personally. Audino in PU is gonna be a wild ride tho. Also not having Manectric etc. drop to NU immediately is a bummer (I personally can't wait for NU Manectric personally), but they'll just go through the same process Mawile went through and be NU by the next major shift in February.

I wouldn't be so sure of Manectric being NU, it was RU last gen, and this gen it has even less competition for an Electric type. Sure, Jolteon gives it heavy competition having more SpA and Spe, but Manectric has Fire coverage for the prominent Abomasnow and Steelixs in RU, while still being able to have Hidden Power Ice or Water for Flygon and Camerupt respectively.

What are some of the projected drops happening this tier shift?
Altaria to PU
Charizard to UU
Diancie to UU
Gardevoir to UU
Lopunny to PU
Manectric to UU
Medicham to RU
Metagross to UU
Pinsir to NU
Sableye to UU
Venusaur to UU
Absol to RU
Aerodactyl to RU
Aggron to RU
Ampharos to RU
Beedrill to FU
Blastoise to RU
Sceptile to NU
Sharpedo to RU
Banette to NU
Camerupt to PU
Glalie to PU
Steelix to NU
Audino to PU

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Altaria to PU
Charizard to UU
Diancie to UU
Gardevoir to UU
Lopunny to PU
Manectric to UU
Medicham to RU
Metagross to UU
Pinsir to NU
Sableye to UU
Venusaur to UU
Absol to RU
Aerodactyl to RU
Aggron to RU
Ampharos to RU
Beedrill to FU
Blastoise to RU
Sceptile to NU
Sharpedo to RU
Banette to NU
Camerupt to PU
Glalie to PU
Steelix to NU
Audino to PU
Beedrill would drop to PU, since FU no longer exists

Altaria to PU
Charizard to UU
Diancie to UU
Gardevoir to UU
Lopunny to PU
Manectric to UU
Medicham to RU
Metagross to UU
Pinsir to NU
Sableye to UU
Venusaur to UU
Absol to RU
Aerodactyl to RU
Aggron to RU
Ampharos to RU
Beedrill to FU
Blastoise to RU
Sceptile to NU
Sharpedo to RU
Banette to NU
Camerupt to PU
Glalie to PU
Steelix to NU
Audino to PU
I also see Ampharos being NU and Banette being PU.

Thoughts (Please note I'm referring to non-mega formes of the Pokemon I'm discussing):

Altaria sounds pretty meh in PU. Maybe defensive sets work but I doubt it.

Charizard's not going to be in UU for long lol. It was NU last gen and nothing really changed this gen to where it matters. (In fact it got worse in RU due to Houndoom and Delphox outclassing it; Also in NU, there is no Mandibuzz or Alomomola but I don't know if that will Zard broken; Unlike Typhlosion its shit on by Stealth Rock, but otherwise its pretty much the same)

Diancie wasn't very good last time it was in UU. Though due to new toy syndrome its likely not going to be in RU until people start reasoning themselves.

Gardevoir............I seriously don't know this one since its been a long ass time since this was in UU. It was B-rank back then, but it may have new niches in revenge killing Mega Beedrill.

Lopunny.........Support sets maybe but offensively just use Stoutland or Bouffalant LOL.

Manectric's going to be in RU at least. Its coverage in the form of Overheat or Flamethrower give it a niche over Jolteon.

Medicham's good in RU. Nothing's going to change if it move backs down.

Metagross IIRC wasn't very good in UU back when it was in the tier. AV might be decent but I don't know really.

Pinsir was alright in NU I guess. Stuff like Xatu aren't used much anymore so it might be worse the 2nd time around.

Sableye's good in UU. Moving on......

I don't know about Venu IMO since the last time it was UU was in DPP and that was a drastically different metagame than the current UU.

Absol. Will it have enough use over Sneasel? We shall see..........

Aerodactyl sounds cool. Particularly the Stealth Rock sets.

Aggron also sounds cool. Rock Head sets are basically a shittier Tyrantrum but if that leaves it'll be close as a replacement. (Though whether it'll have enough use over Rhyperior I won't know)

Ampharos is going to be in PU. It was mediocre last gen in NU and nothing's really changed in Ampharos' favor.

Beedrill was ass in PU and it still will be.

Blastoise is a shittier Slowking with Rapid Spin. Okay then.

Sceptile was viable during the last stages of XY NU, but it has Shiftry as a form of competition now and Skuntank shits on Sceptile not running Earthquake. (Earthquake is what gives SD its uses over other physical Grass-types. That and Acrobactics to reliably hit Vileplume. Though if Zard comes back to NU it might have to run EdgeQuake coverage instead of Acro, but at least that gives it an item to use)

Sharpedo's going to be good for sure. Though sadly that means RIP Samurott's viability in RU.

Banette I don't see much use in using. In PU you're better off using Dusknoir or Drifblim if you desperately want a physically based Ghost-type. (Which aren't very good right now)

Camerupt in PU sounds neat but its too damn slow in a meta run by stuff like Floatzel.

Glalie as a Spiker sounds interesting. Not much use aside from that though.

Steelix was good in NU back then and its still going to be good now. Its a pain in the ass to face, at least to me anyways.

Audino in PU........... Well there goes Lickilicky's remaining viability.

Chances are these predictions might be completely wrong but who knows.

What happens to megas that are used less than their base forms, like slowbro, tyranitar, or garchomp? Could Mega Slowbro be UU, requiring it to hold Slowbronite in that tier? Or is Smogon just not doing that?

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
What happens to megas that are used less than their base forms, like slowbro, tyranitar, or garchomp? Could Mega Slowbro be UU, requiring it to hold Slowbronite in that tier? Or is Smogon just not doing that?
We are just not doing that to avoid opening up a can of worms

I believe it was discussed when this was decided and was if the mega evolutions get dropped when their base form won't, nothing will happen other than the mega evolutions get send to BL tiers. While the mega stones may be technically legal they will be useless since their base forms won't be allowed in tiers lower than their respective ranking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)